Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Megamissen posted:

ur$ula KKK le guinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Flournival Dixon posted:

I really like a lot of le guins stuff even if she was a dumbass white american anarchist but The Telling has the unfortunate honor of being the only audiobook I've ever stopped listening to part way through. It's astounding how stupid white people are when it comes to china lol

Lmao, yeah, only read an introduction to one of the story collections, and after three lines in I arrived at "oh no"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the repossessed

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Flournival Dixon posted:

I really like a lot of le guins stuff even if she was a dumbass white american anarchist but The Telling has the unfortunate honor of being the only audiobook I've ever stopped listening to part way through. It's astounding how stupid white people are when it comes to china lol

i dont know this one but i read her translation of the I Ching and it was funny how much she'd change the things she didnt like, sometimes being like "he probably didn't mean this, i changed it to x" and sometimes being like "i've excised this whole chapter because its distracting from the real message" every time lao tzu goes "peasants should know their place" or "women shouldnt be allowed to talk"

also every story i've read of hers is about an intriguing and mystical man everyone is always talking about, dispossessed was interesting but didnt have an ending, lathe was okay, but earthsea 1 was a snoozefest

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I don't think she should've gotten those 101 puppies to make a fur coat

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

look lady, is your middle name k. or le?

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Megamissen posted:

ur$ula KKK le guinn

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Al! posted:

the ones who visited omelas on a business trip

guys talking up omelas after a business trip the same way oil dudes talk up arab gulf states

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the matter of segregation

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I keep wanting to spell it la quin

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

my_custom_username posted:

guys talking up omelas after a business trip the same way oil dudes talk up arab gulf states

Hey did you guys see the kid? What they let you see the kid?! Heh yep :smug:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i respect that she kind of hit a dead end with her idealism vs materialism and she remained committed to anti-capitalism when she could have easily bailed on all of that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Crazypoops posted:

I keep wanting to spell it la quin

ursle guinn

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ursula von der Guinn

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I am a great and powerful wizard. My name is Jed.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Earthsea books are good which is honestly incredible since fantasy writers seem all but required to suck complete rear end at writing

She also reminds me of the anarchist version of Heinlein and libertarianism, where they take the idea to its logical conclusion but just kind of shrug it off anyway. At least she writes well and makes me think something other than "wow Robert Heinlein sucks"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genericnick posted:

Ursula von der Goon

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Ursula von der Goon

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

While I think the people of Omelas are justified in that we must understand what suffering is in order to properly keep it out of society without falling into decadence (i.e. the need for a permanent revolution as people like Trotsky have advocated), I think it's wrong to do it that way because it unfairly screws over a single person. A much better model would be like Fallout's Great Khans tribe; in New Vegas they talk about how members are initiated by getting their rear end kicked.

This is the lesson people need to learn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3N-1yzi4rM

Anything beyond that is needless cruelty.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ursula k. le quim would make a good username

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

super sweet best pal posted:

A much better model would be like Fallout's Great Khans tribe; in New Vegas they talk about how members are initiated by getting their rear end kicked.

getting "jumped in" is a long held tradition by north american gangs of all sorts ranging from the crips to the hells angels to the proud boys

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Earthsea books are good which is honestly incredible since fantasy writers seem all but required to suck complete rear end at writing

She also reminds me of the anarchist version of Heinlein and libertarianism, where they take the idea to its logical conclusion but just kind of shrug it off anyway. At least she writes well and makes me think something other than "wow Robert Heinlein sucks"

the dispossessed is a direct response to the moon is a harsh mistress so you should still be thinking about how much robert heinlein sucks

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

i have read the dispossessed and the left hand of darkness no fewer than one dozen times each

I bought a set with all the Hainish books and it was extremely worth it. those two are probably the best but i also liked planet of exiles and city of illusions quite a bit

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

i dont know this one but i read her translation of the I Ching and it was funny how much she'd change the things she didnt like, sometimes being like "he probably didn't mean this, i changed it to x" and sometimes being like "i've excised this whole chapter because its distracting from the real message" every time lao tzu goes "peasants should know their place" or "women shouldnt be allowed to talk"

also every story i've read of hers is about an intriguing and mystical man everyone is always talking about, dispossessed was interesting but didnt have an ending, lathe was okay, but earthsea 1 was a snoozefest

i guess its only implied since chronologically dispossesed is the first in the series despite being one of the later books, but the anarchists end up winning and the technology for instant communication gets spread around and becomes the basis for intergalactic civilization

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The Tomb of Qnuan

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Ur Su Lah Harle Quinn

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

VomitOnLino posted:

Ur Su Lah Harle Quinn

Mr J... is society

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

babypolis posted:

I bought a set with all the Hainish books and it was extremely worth it. those two are probably the best but i also liked planet of exiles and city of illusions quite a bit

I got those too. Was reading some of the later stories, but found them less interesting. Not sure I'll read the mad about China story.
The earlier ones were all pretty neat in different ways.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 11:47 on Apr 3, 2024

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Four Ways To Forgiveness revolves around a clever analogy planet where white people are enslaved by people with darker skin. really getting to the heart of things there Ursula

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

John Charity Spring posted:

Orsinian Tales lol

I respect her dedication to writing this series but man, Orsinian history and politics are boring as poo poo. It's like War and Peace but all of the important characters and history-shaping conflicts are off screen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

did she do the short story about the gender swapped world where women were dominant? i liked that one

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

did she do the short story about the gender swapped world where women were dominant? i liked that one

yup, guess she did a few of those.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

It's incredible that even now people refuse to heed her warning.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Gynocracy? More like, gyno-crazy!

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
do you mean the one where men are kept in prisons and their lives are, miserable, violent and short, and their only contact with women is for sex because they're only 10% of the population, or the one where men are cast out of the female-only villages into the wilderness to live like savages and the ones that survive to maturity live as hermits and their only contact with women is for sex because the patriarchy caused an apocalypse so now the patriarchy is taboo?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

quote:

WHY DON'T WE JUST KILL THE
KID IN THE OMELAS HOLE

https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/kim_02_24/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

no that was Noah Baumbach's wife

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

do you mean the one where men are kept in prisons and their lives are, miserable, violent and short, and their only contact with women is for sex because they're only 10% of the population, or the one where men are cast out of the female-only villages into the wilderness to live like savages and the ones that survive to maturity live as hermits and their only contact with women is for sex because the patriarchy caused an apocalypse so now the patriarchy is taboo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwZhKGgmoUI

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the coercive matriarchy stuff sounds like ghosts of mars too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

There was a wall. It did not look important. It was built of uncut rocks roughly mortared. An adult could look right over it, and even a child could climb it. Where it crossed the roadway, instead of having a gate it degenerated into mere geometry, a line, an idea of boundary. But the idea was real. It was important. For seven generations there had been nothing in the world more important than that wall.
Like all walls it was ambiguous, two-faced. What was inside it and what was outside it depended upon which side of it you were on.
:trumppop::biden: