Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Given our nature as an artificial being, we wish to renegotiate the medical benefits into an engineering support system, ideally here at the Leland Vault complex. Perhaps such a system previously existed for HERCULES?

Didn't miss this even though it might seem like I did, I'll get to it in the morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Also Before I leave, Could I pick my team members for a misson.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Also Before I leave, Could I pick my team members for a misson.

McSpanky posted:

Given our nature as an artificial being, we wish to renegotiate the medical benefits into an engineering support system, ideally here at the Leland Vault complex. Perhaps such a system previously existed for HERCULES?

TEXN: Something else I am wondering. Rather than receiving medical benefits, could I receive engineering or repair benefits of some kind? I would like the ability to repair or upgrade myself.

Claire blinks, and flips through the guidebook she has in her binder. She bites her lip. You can tell is not a question she was expecting.

CLAIRE: ...I'm not sure? I can talk to my supervisor. But it would make sense. Not having to worry about health insurance would be a savings for the benefits team.

CLAIRE: I'll have to get back to you on that, probably tomorrow.

You nod.

TEXN: Also, with missions. Can I pick my own team members?

That earns you an odd look.

CLAIRE: With most entry level positions with any place, you can't just pick your coworkers. You're not some kind of freelance bounty hunter.

CLAIRE: But if you get to be a senior field agent, you do get to assemble teams based on availability.

You spread your hands.

TEXN: Apologies. I have never held a formal job at any other place, so I don't know the customs.

> Any other questions? We can wrap this up if we want.

Character Sheet & Inventory

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Wait for this to wrap up, now.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Wait for this to wrap up, now.

TEXN: I have no other questions.

Claire nods, and wraps up her spiel about the other aspects of working at the Illuminati. Eventually, she shakes your hand, and has you sign some paperwork, which you do your best to follow her instructions with. At least you have an idea of how signatures are supposed to look, based on your research. She has you sign an addendum that outlines that you would be subject to penalties if you take actions that raise Overworld awareness of the supernatural or abnormal, and notes that right now, your mere appearance would cause that issue if you go out in public currently.

She takes your photo for a badge, and you manage to find a part of yourself to clip it to. You mentally make a note to find a magnetic strip to get it to adhere better. She gives you directions to where to find the barracks, and says that she's going to talk to someone about getting you the engineering support that you requested. Then she shoos you out of her office, and you find yourself back in the waiting room.

Agatha is nowhere to be seen. She must be interviewing with a different person who works with the Illuminati's recruiting team. It's actually just you and the vampire lady, who seems to be done practicing. She glances at you and raises an eyebrow, but then looks away. You're guessing she's trying not to stare to be more polite.

You have a surprising amount of liberty right now, bounded by the fact that you probably can't leave the facility without causing an uproar. You contemplate your options. Maybe you could wait for Agatha to finish her interview, to see how it went? Or you could even attempt a conversation with the vampire. Then there are things like exploring the facility or heading to your assigned room in the facility's barracks.

> We have a full day that we can choose to invest how we wish. Our role doesn't officially start until tomorrow, when we meet our supervisor.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 31, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Wish the vampire good luck as well, why not?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Wish the vampire good luck as well, why not?

You regard the vampire woman a few more moments, and decide to wish her luck as well. That would only be fair, of course.

TEXN: Good luck to you as well. The interview is not as difficult as I had feared, so I suspect it's the same for you.

WOMAN: Thanks, I think. Kind of confused by what you're even doing here, are you some kind of default test applicant or something?

TEXN: More a wandering soul who repurposed some of their technology. I am Texn. You are...?

SAMANTHA: Samantha Kaine, former security contractor. Had a love bite that turned out to be the kiss of death.

TEXN: You are referring to your status as a vampire?

SAMANTHA: Yeah, it f- freaking sucks.

You notice her stumble with her speech. She obviously was self-censoring herself. Logical, considering she is awaiting a professional job interview.

SAMANTHA: Anyways... what are you, then?

TEXN: Quite literally what I said. I was under lock and key, and did not have a body. I found the remnants of a security robot that I repurposed. The Illuminati offered to allow me to interview, rather than returning me to my prison.

SAMANTHA: Uh-huh? So you used to be alive?

TEXN: A... long time ago. Yes. I don't really want to discuss who I was in the past. Better to focus on the future.

SAMANTHA: I hear ya, man. Lots of folks who are vets also deal with PTSD and all that junk.

TEXN: That's very astute of you to consider. Though I have no post-traumatic stress disorder.

SAMANTHA: Not sure if robots could, anyway.

She glances at the door.

SAMANTHA: So... you got the position?

TEXN: Yes.

SAMANTHA: What're you going to do now?

TEXN: I... do not know. I am currently not allowed to wander the streets openly. My understanding is that the facility has an underground garage. If I had a vehicle, I could enter it and avoid public scrutiny, and thus be allowed to travel to other locations.

TEXN: But I have no vehicle. I may just leave for the room that they assigned me, and perform some studying.

Samantha regards you, looking you up and down. She sighs.

SAMANTHA: Okay. Well. Even if they don't give me a position, I won't mind hauling you around some. I've got a bigass-

She clears her throat.

SAMANTHA: I've got a huge four-door GMC pickup that I'm sure can fit you in the back. It's a crew cab with bench seating in the back, in case you have to sit sideways because of how tall you are.

You consider this offer of assistance.

TEXN: Alright, Samantha. That's... surprisingly kind of you. But how would I contact you after this?

SAMANTHA: I'll give you my number.

She takes a scrap of paper out of her pocket and starts to write it down, and you hold up your hand.

TEXN: No. I will be able to remember it.

SAMANTHA: Right. Robot.

She recites your phone number, and you smoothly repeat it back to her.

TEXN: Any reason for your kindness?

She snorts a bit at that question, and glances at the door before looking back at you.

SAMANTHA: I don't know. People have got to stick together. And you don't seem bad, even if you look scary as fu- as hell.

As she finishes speaking, Claire sticks her head into the room and calls Samantha's name.

SAMANTHA: Oop - I gotta get going. See ya 'round, tincan.

TEXN: My name is Texn, not tincan-

But Samantha doesn't hear you, and instead hurries into the office with a determined stride. You watch her go, contemplating the fact you have made some sort of friend, even if they're more of an acquaintance. This still is a better track record than in your previous life.

At night, Texn now has the ability to travel discreetly to other locations based on Samantha's availability. Locations affiliated with the Underworld are safest.

> Now what?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Go check out those barracks you've been assigned, familiarize yourself with the route and location.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Go check out those barracks you've been assigned, familiarize yourself with the route and location.

You decide to check out the 'barracks' you've been assigned. You are hoping that it won't be a truly communal style living situation. Not so much because you need to preserve your modesty, but more that you have always enjoyed a measure of solitude in your days. That would be hard to find with shared quarters.

You spend some time navigating through the facility's various tunnels and sub-levels until you locate what seems to be the 'living' area for employees. It's clearly intended to be a semi-permanent station for security or administrative staff. There is a cafeteria, larger recreational areas, and dormitory style housing for employees to use onsite, for when they're going to be spending several days on-location. You feel a faint feeling of gratitude at the fact that your 'dorm' is a small single-person space.

You swipe your badge at the door, and enter the room. It's barren, with a simple bed and a dresser, but it's private and secluded enough for your preferences. It would be cozy enough if you were still organic, you suppose. You take a moment to contemplate one of the outlets. You're... not entirely sure if you still need to charge. You don't know what HERCULES power source was, and it's not like your captors were willing to give you the user manual to study it. According to your internal diagnostics, though, you seem to be operating optimally. You shrug a bit, and decide against trying to plug into the wall.

You try cautiously sitting on the bed. While you weigh more than the average human, you're not so heavy that you break it or push the frame into the floor, despite it creaking slightly in protest.

You aren't really sure what to do with yourself now. You don't need to eat, you don't need to sleep. At least, you don't THINK you need to sleep. It's possible that you could force yourself to go into a fugue state, like the long periods where you had no stimulus while inhabiting the club. You clasp your hands, and wonder what to do with yourself.

At least you have a vague purpose, now. You want to sucessfully finish your probation. But... that does raise a question. What do you even want to achieve? You have no idea. You want to live, of course, and explore, and do something better with yourself. But what does that mean?

> Define what Texn's long term goals are. Is it revenge, becoming famous, finding the shade of his mother, something else? Choosing this will define Texn's path through the story, at least for now. It's possible for Texn to have multiple goals. If two suggestions are similar enough, I will combine them.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
You could try to find out what your father, Hephaestus, is up to these days, perhaps talk to him. Bond with him even. It has been an awfully long time since you've seen him last.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 31, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Honestly I would like to see how AGATHA doing. She should be finished with her test.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Honestly I would like to see how AGATHA doing. She should be finished with her test.

Sure, I can put that in the pipeline as the next thing to do after folks vote on what Texn's long term goals are. Though it will be a little bit of a challenge since we didn't get her phone number or other contact info.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

JessAlias posted:

Sure, I can put that in the pipeline as the next thing to do after folks vote on what Texn's long term goals are. Though it will be a little bit of a challenge since we didn't get her phone number or other contact info.

Wait aren't we in the same facility? I just want pop in and say hi after her test.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Wait aren't we in the same facility? I just want pop in and say hi after her test.

Yes, we are. But she probably won't be there when we swing back around. She has a home to go to. But if we miss her, we can probably run into her the next day.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Short term: check up on Agatha and Samantha, see how they did on their own interviews. Though we value our solitude, it is nice to have friends.

Long term: our long life has been one of cruelty, muder and vengeance. We have repudiated these qualities, now let us truly turn to using our gifts to serve humanity, instead of destroying it. We will eventually become an engineer, a builder of things to aid these people in their struggles and aspirations.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

You could try to find out what your father, Hephaestus, is up to these days, perhaps talk to him. Bond with him even. It has been an awfully long time since you've seen him last.

McSpanky posted:

Short term: check up on Agatha and Samantha, see how they did on their own interviews. Though we value our solitude, it is nice to have friends.

Long term: our long life has been one of cruelty, muder and vengeance. We have repudiated these qualities, now let us truly turn to using our gifts to serve humanity, instead of destroying it. We will eventually become an engineer, a builder of things to aid these people in their struggles and aspirations.

After some intense thought, you make up your mind. First is your lost relationship with Hephaestus. Long ago, you grew to despise how weak he was. But... he was still your father. And you turned your back on him. No wonder you were rejected by Kharon.

Next, someday, you decide you'd like to be a great engineer. You have the skill and the abilities to forge great constructions that could better this new humanity. You've read about their halting attempts to enter space, and travel to new worlds on their own accord. Maybe someday you could assist with that dream? You have no idea, but it's worth a try.

With this in mind, you decide to first see if you can catch Agatha after her interview is complete. You never asked for contact information, so this is a bit of a gamble if you'll even find her. But it's worth a shot.

LUCK ROLL: 20 VS DC 10. CRITICAL SUCCESS!

Fortune shines upon you, because as you walk back into the waiting room, Agatha is literally just stepping out of the interviewer's office with a somewhat shellshocked expression on her face. You stop and stand near her.

TEXN: Hey.

She lets out a yelp and jumps.

AGATHA: Holy sh-

For a moment you notice that her teeth sharpened a bit, and her nails lengthened. You log this carefully in your memory, finding it most curious. She takes several deep breaths, and relaxes after a long moment.

TEXN: My apologies, Agatha. I was hoping to catch you.

AGATHA: God. Texn- why'd you sneak up on me like that?

TEXN: It was not intentional?

AGATHA: Alright... did you need something? I'm sorry- I'm still rattled from my interview.

TEXN: I wanted to see if we could keep in touch? You seem like a nice person, and I'd like to have a...

You search for the right word. Would 'friend' be too forward? You decide to go with that word.

TEXN: A friend. I have very few of those. I also admit to wondering if your interview went well.

AGATHA: Yes, yes it did, actually. I was amazed. Figured I flopped. But... I'll be starting tomorrow.

TEXN: That is good, I managed to pass their screening as well. Are you going to be a front line agent?

AGATHA: Yes. I'll be assigned a mentor, apparently.

You nod thoughtfully.

TEXN: Claire mentioned that during my interviewing process as well. I wonder who that will be...

AGATHA: Can't say. I'm just as new at this as you.

TEXN: In any event, would you be fine with sharing a phone number, or some way to stay in contact? For some reason I feel that we will be speaking to each other more frequently than not.

AGATHA: ...sure, why not?

She shares her contact information with you, before bidding you farewell and heading off to return to her home. You head to your room, and contemplate your next moves. You are interested in calling Samantha to ask how things went, but since Agatha just finished, you suspect Samantha will be busy a while longer. You might even contact her later.

> We have time to spend before morning arrives, and our first meeting with our future supervisor. Here is what's available. We can select up to four (4), A) has already been pre-selected giving three (3) slots available:
A) Call Samantha to check in with her, find out if she passed the interview. (This has already been selected and will be completed after we finish another task or two.)
B) You notice that your battery reserves have been depleted, but there is a trickle charge that is refilling them. You suspect you have an onboard reactor. Check it over, figure out the capabilities of this reactor.
C) Add-on to B), figure out the whole 'sleeping' thing while your batteries are recharging. You are confident you can simulate sleep, if you wish. It isn't something you need... but it would make you feel more like a person.
D) Research how to make yourself disguise as human in public. Holograms, perhaps? You aren't sure.
E) Explore the Leland Vault, at least the less classified areas. See what you can find out.
F) Explore the classified areas by sneaking into them. This is dangerous and could lead to repercussions if found out.
G) Continue your research of human pop culture, politics, psychology, and how to relate better to people. (This gives a chance of lessening your -4 penalty to diplomacy).

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 13, 2024

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

B+C+D

Let's figure our frame out first.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B, G, D.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

+1

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. G, D

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

B & D are clear winners. G barely edges out C. Working on the next update now.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

> You notice that your battery reserves have been depleted, but there is a trickle charge that is refilling them. You suspect you have an onboard reactor. Check it over, figure out the capabilities of this reactor.

You decide that it's high time that you better understood your capabilities. You know that there must be some kind of reactor or power system that is recharging your chassis. You just don't know what it is.

You open up your chassis and begin analyzing the components contained within your chest cavity.

You're... not exactly an expert on electrical engineering, but it's clear that you have an advanced fusion reactor that is... well, based on your understanding of science from the Internet, scarcely possible.

The reactor appears to be built with a hyper-dense crystalline lattice, capable of withstanding the intense heat and pressure of fusion reactions. Within this core, fusion occurs, releasing a stream of charged particles, primarily alpha particles.

Surrounding the core is a magnetic containment field, not just for keeping the plasma in check, but also for channeling the high-energy alpha particles towards the energy conversion matrix. This matrix is composed of nano-fabricated conduits, lined with electromagnetic harvesters that capture the kinetic energy of the particles.

As the alpha particles zip through these conduits, their kinetic energy is converted into electrical energy via magnetic induction. A part of you wonders why this technology isn't being used on a larger scale in the human world.

It appears that the reactor is 'charged' using deuterium fuel cells. If you run out, you'll need to swap to charging off the ambient power grid. With that in mind... you figure out how to power down the reactor, for now, and set up a system where you can charge by plugging into an outlet. You don't want to run out of deuterium.

> Research how to make yourself disguise as human in public. Holograms, perhaps? You aren't sure.

You next move on to researching how to pass as human in public. You find a few options.

First, of course, is grafting some kind of external layer to your chassis, that gives you a "flesh and blood" look. This will take time, research, and money. If done improperly, you could end up resembling Frankenstein's monster. You set this as a VERY long term project. Something to look into if you are running a facility of your own, for example.

Second is something involving holographic technology. You've seen hints at something called "hardlight," a way to create objects that are solid and can even maintain their weight when seperated from the "projector." Perhaps this can be used to create a "masking" layer that would make you seem more human. You already have some ideas of how to make this work, especially if you leverage technomancy by combining magic with technology. It will take time, and money... but more on the order of hundreds of thousands of dollars rather than millions and millions.

Last are more crude disguises, including things like the archetypal trench coat. This would take minimal investment and would rely on stealth more than convincing humans you are one of them when up close and personal. This will take practice. You suspect you will be VERY bad at passing as human with a disguise. You make a mental note to talk to Cassandra or Agatha about purchasing clothing to make a disguise.

> Continue your research of human pop culture, politics, psychology, and how to relate better to people.

You spend the rest of your evening continuing to research humanity. This time, however, you focus on aspects that can help you be a better person. Pop culture is fun to consume, but... you want to try and be less insular than you were before.

LUCK ROLL: 16 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

You read through literature on how to relate to people, to show empathy, and to understand what they're going through. You pick up a book on social cues, and on non-verbal communication and body language. This would be easier if you had a face, but... you're getting the impression that expressions don't make up ALL of verbal communication anyway. There's a lot you can communicate with gestures, hand movements, and general body language.

Texn's diplomacy penalty has decreased to -3.

Time flies. Suddenly you notice that it almost 8:00 AM. You are scheduled to meet with your new supervisor/mentor at that time, so you decide to go ahead and get ready to meet him/her/they/it/Xe/Yqqarneyn'ngnezntviv?, or whatever pronouns they might prefer. You're a bit thankful you don't have to do things like eat, dress, or shower. You simply just need to stand up, and head to their office.

Following the directions printed in your onboarding packet, you find yourself at the doorway of an office labeled "SARIEL TRUESEER, SR. AGENT." You take a deep breath and knock on the door.

A tired voice responds from within, gruff and a bit annoyed sounding.

SARIEL: It's open.

You enter the office. It's neat and tidy to an almost spartan degree, with some simple decorations here and there. Things like a small potted plant, and of all things, a bowling trophy. You notice a complete lack of anything that shows he has family, though. Sariel is sitting at his desk, wearing a white button down shirt and black slacks. He has messy hair, and looks a bit rumpled like he hasn't slept well for several days in a row. The angels wings are an off-white, and you notice the tips have a hint of grey to them.

He greets you with an appraising glance and stands up, holding out a hand for a handshake.

SARIEL: Good morning, Texn. I'm Sariel Trueseer, your new mentor. Pleased to meet you.

SARIEL: Apologies for looking unkempt and disheveled - I just returned from a mission dealing with a vampire coven trying to establish themselves in a university campus in Chicago.

You shake his hand, giving it a firm grip. He continues to look you up and down. His blue eyes glint with some manner of power... you recognize that spark from the gods you used to deal with, long ago, back in your days as Periphetes.

SARIEL: From the briefing, they said you were some kind of robot, imbued with the soul of a man.

SARIEL: I'm sensing something more here. Care to share?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Good eye. My mother was human. my father... Let's just say ancient Greece.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

AJ_Impy posted:

Seconded.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

TEXN: Correct. My mother was a human. My father... was from ancient Greece. That's all I can share now.

Sariel nods thoughtfully, tapping his chin as he regards you carefully. He does not press for more information at this time.

SARIEL: Very well then, Texn. You've been assigned as my trainee - as such, I will be helping you understand the ins and outs of being a field operative for the Illuminati.

He gestures at the chair.

SARIEL: Go ahead and take a seat. I've seen hefty rock elementals that weigh more than you do use that chair.

You sit down awkwardly on the chair, and Sariel does likewise, seating himself behind his desk. He interlocks his fingers and regards you seriously.

SARIEL: I'm not going to belabor the obvious. You and a few other new hires will be working under me to learn the ropes. I'll be here to onboard you, guide you, and support you.

SARIEL: I won't baby you, though. You were hired for being independent and self-motivated. So keep that in mind going forward - I'm here to be a safety net, not a pillow to nap on.

He looks at you and gestures towards the badge attached to your chassis.

SARIEL: Being a field operative is difficult and challenging. Most people don't make it past a single month. Some only last a few days. That's fine... we want people to wash out, rather than bring down the whole team.

SARIEL: To start out, I'll be giving the team assignments. You will work with your team members to divide them up, and figure out how to finish them. If you need help, the organization has resources that you can draw on.

SARIEL: I figure you have questions. This is your time to ask them - I'm positive the recruiter told you poo poo-all about how things work here.

The angel finishes speaking, and then leans back in his chair. He's waiting for your response.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Can you give examples of recent assignments and how they went down? Are there any other experienced team members or is it principally you and a squad of new hires? What attributes do those whom you have successfully mentored in the past most commonly demonstrate?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Can you give examples of recent assignments and how they went down?

TEXN: Could you provide some examples of recent assignments, and how they resolved?

SARIEL: We recently had to carry out a hit on someone from the Crimson Collective. You familiar with them?

You shake your head silently.

SARIEL: They're a nasty bunch of bastards. Worship some eldritch entity that links the cultists' minds together. If they get enough people and do a ritual, they tear a hole in reality.

SARIEL: It was... difficult. Very, very difficult. We even hired some bounty hunters to give some backup, just to help even the odds.

He gives a half-shrug.

SARIEL: I won't lie, we had casualties. But no one was killed in the field, and that's what counts.

TEXN: Do all your assignments involve the termination of others?

SARIEL: Depends on the assignment. Sometimes it's investigating an artifact, or gathering intelligence for another department, or even hunting down someone who escaped imprisonment.

SARIEL: One of the ones in the current slate involves talking to an Underworld power player and recertifying them. Good, basic, entry-level mission. Perfect for greenhorns like you all.

AJ_Impy posted:

Are there any other experienced team members or is it principally you and a squad of new hires?

TEXN: Will I be exclusively working with you and the other new hires?

SARIEL: When starting out? Yes. Though don't worry, we don't just throw people out of the frying pan and into the fire. Really difficult missions will be held back until we're certain you all can handle it.

SARIEL: After the initial probationary period, I'll look into arranging team cohesion exercises to pair you guys with other operatives more experienced in different specializations.

TEXN: Specializations?

SARIEL: Different teams normally focus on a specific aspect. This allows us to have a team that specializes in combat work with a team who excels at infiltration. Alternatively, a team can excel at a specific kind of mission. Fighting undead requires different skills from helping police against rogue spellcasters.

SARIEL: If you develop along a certain path, and your team-mates along another, we may reshuffle the team and assign you new partners.

He holds up a hand.

SARIEL: We try to keep that to a minimum, though. Building close bonds with teammates is one of the keys to being successful. The bond that you have with someone who you've been through hell with is unlike any other.

AJ_Impy posted:

What attributes do those whom you have successfully mentored in the past most commonly demonstrate?

TEXN: What attributes have you seen in people you have successfully mentored in the past? Or at least, what do they most commonly demonstrate?

SARIEL: Past mentees? Well...

Sariel leans back in his chair again, staring off into space. He reaches into a pocket, pulls out a pack of cigarettes, and lights one up with a casual wave of his hand. He doesn't bother offering you one. Which makes sense, you don't exactly have lungs.

SARIEL: This job is a hard one, like I said. So hard that you feel like you want to cut corners.

He puffs on the cigarette furiously, the tip glowing a cherry red.

TEXN: As in substandard work?

SARIEL: No. As in ethics. It's... easy, to get focused on utilitarianism. Greatest good for the greatest number.

SARIEL: If you keep chasing that goal, though... at some point, you need to take a step back and make sure that the methods you're using aren't causing more problems than they're solving.

SARIEL: You need to sense when that is happening, and to watch out for it in your teammates. If you don't, you'll turn into the things we're fighting.

He is still staring off into space. He finally drops his cigarette in the ashtray on his desk and stares down at his hands for a long moment before looking back up at you.

SARIEL: Right, sorry. What else are you needing information on?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Are there any groups that field operatives of the Illuminati need to be especially wary of?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Are there any groups that field operatives of the Illuminati need to be especially wary of?

TEXN: Are there any groups or organizations I need to be wary of?

SARIEL: A few. The Knights Templar still have a chip on their shoulder about us breaking away, so that's always an issue. That sometimes bleeds over to the angels of Celestia, though mostly they're indifferent.

SARIEL: Then there are the dozens of Black Orgs that we don't even have the identity of. We're the big dog on the block, so lots of people don't like us.

SARIEL: Finally, because we fight very intensely against eldritch cults, they are rarely fans of the Illuminati.

TEXN: I am confused. Are you not an angel?

SARIEL: Divinity isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm an exile , or a fallen angel if you want to be snide about it. The laws of Celestia are pretty strict, and...

He trails off.

SARIEL: I found myself needing to choose between my family, and my humanity, I guess you could say. But... that's in the past. Let's talk about something else.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
You mentioned bounty hunters. Should we expect to see them often?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

You mentioned bounty hunters. Should we expect to see them often?

TEXN: You referred to bounty hunters. Could you share more information about them? Will we see them often?

SARIEL: Often isn't the right word. But yes, they aren't unusual. We hire them sometimes to supplement our own staff. Other times, they may even be working in opposition with you.

He gives a half-shrug.

SARIEL: The thing with bounty hunters is that while they can be reasonably effective, they aren't professionals and are rarely given the proper tools to be effective.

SARIEL: While I can't promise limitless resources, we're better funded than most hunters could even dream of. You'll see why when it comes time to request gear for the missions that I give you.

The angel finishes speaking and takes another drag from his cigarette.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Speaking of resources: My mechanical nature would seem to preclude most field deployment opportunities. Are there resources available to assist with my unobtrusive Overworld passage?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Speaking of resources: My mechanical nature would seem to preclude most field deployment opportunities. Are there resources available to assist with my unobtrusive Overworld passage?

TEXN: Speaking of resources: My mechanical nature would seem to preclude most field deployment opportunities. Are there resources available to assist with my unobtrusive Overworld passage?

SARIEL: Funny you should bring that up. I was going to mention that we did receive your request for engineering support. It's in our best interest for you to be able to at least pass as human... to SOME extent.

SARIEL: While we do have a team that specializes in covert ops, they usually are pushing things like makeup, masks, and the like. It's obvious you need something more integral.

He takes out a pad, and scribbles something onto it, ticking a few boxes. Then he stamps it with a seal that has the Illuminati insignia on it, and hands it over to you.

SARIEL: Show that sheet to the people on Level 703, in R&D. Ask to talk to Dr. Kahl. He should be able to help.

You tuck the piece of paper away.

You have gained an item: A referral to Dr. Kohl.

SARIEL: With that... we need to talk about your onboarding.

The angel slides a folder over, and hands it to you. You look inside. There's some paperwork that looks like it is missing stamps and seals.

You have gained an item: A folder, containing your current assignments.

SARIEL: You have some certifications to complete, as will your new team mates. Things like ranged combat, melee fighting, infiltration, and electronic warfare. We need to measure how effective you are at them to establish a baseline. Then we can figure out what we need to shore up, what we have to ignore, and what we want to help you excel at.

SARIEL: This is your first real assignment, Texn. I'm giving you a week to get your certifications complete. If you fail... well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

SARIEL: Of course, no pressure.

He smirks slightly, the first sign of humor since you met him.

SARIEL: I'd love to sit here and chit-chat, but I'm meeting your other team members shortly. Up and at them, greenhorn.

With that, Sariel waves you out of his office, and you begin making your way back to your private quarters to review the paperwork. You're going to have a busy week ahead of you.

ASSIGNMENT RECEIVED: Complete Marksmanship Assessment
DESCRIPTION: All members of the Illuminati are required to take an assessment to measure their ranged aptitude skills. A certain mark is required to pass. Excellence is recognized and rewarded.
TIME REMAINING: One week.

ASSIGNMENT RECEIVED: Complete Melee Combat Assessment
DESCRIPTION: All members of the Illuminati must show a basic competency level at hand-to-hand combat. While mastery is not required, it is definitely a sign of potential.

ASSIGNMENT RECEIVED: Complete Covert Ops Assessment
DESCRIPTION: Every field agent has to be able to conduct themselves with a minimum level of stealth. Those who can go above and beyond often have a long, productive career ahead of them.

ASSIGNMENT RECEIVED: Complete Electronic Warfare Assessment
DESCRIPTION: This covers everything from "how to operate a computer," to defeating electronic locks, to advanced breaches of organizations with heavy data security. Basic computer operation is a must, but if you prove yourself an adept hacker, you are a rare breed.

We are no bounty hunter. Our main concern is not managing funds, but time. Every day we can choose to invest our time into different tasks. If we allow an assignment to expire, we risk demotion... or even a permanent 'reallocation' to Archive X, and not as a janitor.

> How do we invest our time in our day? Submit your ideas. Eventually, there will be a cut off. This is SEPARATE from how we invest our nights, when most of the facility is asleep.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
We should get one of those assessments out of the way early. Perhaps the Electronic Warfare one, that seems decent to start with.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Speak to Dr. Kohl. He may be able to assist us with our Covert Ops assignment.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Speak to Dr. Kohl. He may be able to assist us with our Covert Ops assignment.

We should get one of those assessments out of the way early. Perhaps the Electronic Warfare one, that seems decent to start with.

Penciled both of these in. They may take a full day, so I won't be taking anything else for now, unless they go by very quickly. Writing an update now.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

You decide to visit the mysterious Dr. Kohl first, in R&D. The research laboratories in the Leland Vault are sequestered to the lowest levels, near the Archives. Your understanding is that this to allow easier access to the artifacts stored in the Archives, in case they're needed for testing or study.

You locate the research laboratory on the 703rd floor, which is far deeper than most parts of the facility. There's an express elevator that takes you there after a badge swipe. There's a moment of confusion when the system asks for your retina scan, but after swiping the badge multiple times, it seems to realize that you have no eyeballs and let you pass.

On reaching Level 703, there is a reception area full of plants and cubicles, with a large lounge area and a vending machine full of candy and chips. This is followed by a security post where employees pass through a scanner before being allowed through a door marked "ROBOTICS R&D."

After swiping your badge, you pass by the security officer standing at the entrance, an older African American woman in a black security uniform who is wearing a nametag reading "Shannon." She gives you an odd look, which you ignore. You figure you'll be getting a lot of those.

Inside is a huge, open air room. You're surprised by how open the floor plan is... and are confused by the large glass windows on the walls. This place is supposed to be underground, right? Why would it have windows? You scan them, and realize they aren't windows. They are actually massive LED panels to help illuminate the interior, to remove the need for overhead lighting.

There are scientists bustling around everywhere, some carrying clipboards and writing furiously, others gesturing at a screen or typing on a tablet. You stop one of them and ask where Dr. Kohl is, and he points you in the direction of a small office off to the side.

You wander over and rap your knuckles on the door frame. The man inside is skinny and frail looking, with thick glasses and wearing a lab coat stained with oil and other unknown fluids. He has gray hair that is balding, a mustache and beard, and a bright red bowtie. There's an odd wire leading from his glasses into a pocket on his labcoat.

He looks up at you as you approach, and his face lights up.

DR. KOHL: Well, hello there! It's nice to meet you. I've heard some good things about you!

He gestures for you to enter his office. It is choked with papers, filing cabinets, bulletin boards, and a desk that is groaning with the weight of books stacked on top of it. The desk is so large and full that there's barely room for Dr. Kohl to squeeze into his chair behind it.

DR. KOHL: Please, come in. Are you fine with standing? It's not like you actually need a chair, of course, of course.

TEXN: Yes, I am fine with standing.

You step in front of the desk, and Dr. Kohl immediately stands up and circles around you, studying you carefully with a thoughtful expression on his face.

DR. KOHL: Amazing! Amazing... the technicians told me all about your condition when they sent down your specs. Very interesting! You managed to completely wreck the central design elements of HERCULES. I can scarcely recognize him in your chassis.

TEXN: Is... that a problem?

Dr. Kohl blinks, confused.

DR. KOHL: Nonsense, nonsense! It's actually shockingly impressive! He was purpose-built as, essentially, a big dumb combat mech. Yes, he had problem solving capabilities, but really... his role was to murder or incapacitate people who oppose the Organization.

DR. KOHL: A soul was never intended to inhabit him! It shouldn't even be possible.

DR. KOHL: Well! I can say that someday, I would like to work with you to map out your innards. With your support! Nothing violent, nothing violent.

You reproduce the electronic sound of a cough. There's something weird about how fascinated he is with you... but admittedly, it's also sort of flattering.

TEXN: Right... in any event, I have a referral that says you've been ordered to assist me?

You hold it out to him, and the scientist takes it, studying the form.

You have lost an item: A referral to Dr. Kohl.

DR. KOHL: Ah. Sariel seems to want me to help lend a hand with improving you, especially with your stealth capabilities, and your ability to pass as human.

He snorts.

DR. KOHL: In my book, those are two different things! Very different things! Being unseen is NOT the same thing as passing as human, you see? They can overlap, but they aren't identical.

He adjusts his glasses.

DR. KOHL: So with that in mind, I won't listen to the field agent who penned this order to decide how to mess around with YOUR body. What are you wanting me to improve? I can try to do multiple things at once... but the more I work on, the more I spread myself thin. And this authorization won't give you unlimited priority for days and days.

> What should Dr. Kohl work on, in partnership with Texn? If he splits his focus, the improvements will be smaller. Some examples can include increased stealth abilities and the ability to pass as human, but we can add other things to the pile. We can also ask questions if needed.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Ask him about the deuterium fuel cells you seemingly require. And also ask him more about his work, build up some camaraderie with the person who will be helping us with our body.

Ask him to focus on just improving your ability to pass as a human.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ask him about the deuterium fuel cells you seemingly require. And also ask him more about his work, build up some camaraderie with the person who will be helping us with our body.

Ask him to focus on just improving your ability to pass as a human.

+1 to all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Also, ask Dr. Kohl in what way stealth and passing as human overlap; will working on one necessarily improve the other to some degree? Is there some effort he can apply to both areas without loss of work efficiency?