Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
You are the expert in this field, it would be foolish for a human to overrule the advice of their doctor, I am only slightly more aware of the workings of this form than the average layperson is of their own body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Fear not! I have not forgotten this CYOA. As mentioned at the beginning, I'm prioritizing The Other Adventure just a little bit more. I discovered that trying to keep both to the same intense update structure wasn't workable. I'm probably going to update this about 3x a week, maybe a little less sometimes, maybe more if I am inspired. That way I don't overcommit and underdeliver.

AJ_Impy posted:

You are the expert in this field, it would be foolish for a human to overrule the advice of their doctor, I am only slightly more aware of the workings of this form than the average layperson is of their own body.

McSpanky posted:

Also, ask Dr. Kohl in what way stealth and passing as human overlap; will working on one necessarily improve the other to some degree? Is there some effort he can apply to both areas without loss of work efficiency?

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Ask him about the deuterium fuel cells you seemingly require. And also ask him more about his work, build up some camaraderie with the person who will be helping us with our body.

Ask him to focus on just improving your ability to pass as a human.

McSpanky posted:

+1 to all of this

TEXN: Before we proceed, I have a question. I appear to have a reactor that runs off of deuterium. What happens when that runs out?

DR. KOHL: Hmm? Oh! Intriguing, intriguing... you kept the same power source that Hercules had?

TEXN: I assume as such. I did not blueprint this body. It was more artisanal modification based on inspiration with small modicum of magic.

DR. KOHL: I see! In any event, we do have many devices that run off of microfusion reactors. At least, the ones that have a high power draw while needing to be distant from the infrastructure that allows easy recharging.

DR. KOHL: I'll be more than happy to replace your deuterium fuel cells when they run low.

TEXN: Will there be a cost?

Dr. Kohl furrows his brow in confusion.

DR. KOHL: ...Cost? Cost of what?

TEXN: Cost as in monetary value... dollars, etc.. I have no money.

DR. KOHL: Oh! Well, that would seem quite wicked, charging you money for something you need to live. Not to mention that you work for the Organization.

TEXN: Oh, then would it be provided?

DR. KOHL: Of course, of course! You work for the Organization, and I work for the Organization too! It will be no trouble at all to justify the drain on my budget.

TEXN: That is very kind of you. Another question, do stealth and passing as a human overlap? Since you said you work on improvements separately. I was wondering if you can apply improvement to both areas without loss of work efficiency.

DR. KOHL: Ah... yes, yes. They can overlap! But it is not always 1 to 1. If you define stealth as not being noticed... well, looking human can help if you're in a crowd in a public area. But that doesn't help at all if you are attempting to enter a restricted area where NOBODY is allowed!

DR. KOHL: Something like invisibility, in my opinion, doesn't help with socialization at all!

DR. KOHL: But to start with - we could work on some manner of softlight projector that at least allows you to appear human from at least a few feet away, working better at longer distances. You'd have limited expressiveness and it would obviously be fake if they talk to you or examine you in detail. Would you like to give that a go?

TEXN: You are the expert in this field, it would be foolish for a human to overrule the advice of their doctor. I am only slightly more aware of the workings of this form than the average layperson is of their own body.

DR. KOHL: Indeed, indeed... on that note, I would be interested in a full diagnostic and assessment. If you're not comfortable with that, I understand, but I'm rather curious! The data would help me with rebuilding and improving you as well.

> Move forward with softlight projector, Y/N? Also we can allow Dr. Kohl to do the equivalent of a robot physical, if we are OK with him doing that. Finally, we can continue to pester him with questions like all great adventure protagonists.

Character Sheet & Inventory

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yes for the projector and physical, though be mindful of the time (we're still doing the Covert Ops test later today).

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yes and Yes.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Yes to the projector and the full diagnostic and assessment.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 6, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Yes to the projector and the full diagnostic and assessment.

AJ_Impy posted:

Yes and Yes.

McSpanky posted:

Yes for the projector and physical, though be mindful of the time (we're still doing the Covert Ops test later today).

TEXN: You may proceed with both.

Dr. Kohl excitedly claps his hands.

DR. KOHL: Splendid! Please, follow me.

He leads you out of his office to a lab section that is off to the side from the main laboratory. It contains some vaguely humanoid robot chassis, all hooked up to various diagnostic computers that are feeding them power or testing their limbs' response times and energy usage. He directs you to lie down on a padded table in the middle of the room, and you comply with his request. Bands of energy appear over your frame, and you feel yourself being gently restrained by robotic arms.

A holo-screen pops up in midair, and Dr. Kohl taps a few buttons on it before running over to his desk and bringing back an absurdly large mug of coffee. He takes a deep sip and sighs happily before turning back to the holo-screen and studying it.

DR. KOHL: Powerful magitech, this! You've done well enhancing old HERCULES. You should take more credit for what you've done! If you don't fully understand the workings of your own body, then it is rather like a human doing open heart surgery on himself without being trained as a surgeon.

You give a shrug. You don't really feel like explaining that you're a son of Hephaestus, and thus have a rather specific dominion over technology and crafting. After a contemplative silence, Dr. Kohl begins asking you a series of questions as he scans different parts of your body and taps away at the console. After the initial scan, he coughs a bit.

DR. KOHL: Now comes the delicate part, the delicate part. I'm going to be accessing your innards. The outer portions of your chassis appear to be fastened using our standard issue internal bolts... but I suspect some are held together with advanced magitech?

TEXN: Correct.

He gestures at the diagnostic arms holding you down.

DR. KOHL: Release restrictions?

The arms deploy some small metal instruments from within themselves, and apply them to your chassis. You can sense a weak magnetic field, they must be signaling for your outer shell to detach. Dr. Kohl takes the plates of your casing off, and begins extracting the internal bolts using a small hex wrench. It is a strangely fascinating experience, watching him reach into your own torso and take out the components that keep your chassis together.

LUCK ROLL: 4 + VS DC 10. FAILURE.

DR. KOHL: Now, this should be a simple process. My goodness, what is-

You feel a strange sense of discontinuity. Suddenly Dr. Kohl's position shifts, and there's a second person next to him that wasn't there before. She is a a young woman with light blue hair, glowing blue eyes, and pale skin. Her body looks like a robotic chassis that is much sleeker and more refined than your own form.

DR. KOHL: Any sign of life, Krystal?

The woman speaks in a borderline monotone. There's very little change in her tone or inflection.

KRYSTAL: Negative- wait. No, he's back.

Your optics whirr and click as your awareness returns to normal. Both Dr. Kohl and the blue haired girl are staring down at you anxiously, Dr. Kohl's hands are half-inside your chassis.

DR. KOHL: Texn? Are you with us?

You can detect the worry in his voice.

TEXN: I... think so. What happened?

KRYSTAL: You blacked out for a few hours. Dr. Kohl had a mishap and a component on your processor came loose.

TEXN: I see. How long was I inactive?

DR. KOHL: About seven hours, unfortunately... I needed some assistance from Krystal here. We had to perform emergency maintenance on your hardware. It's... difficult, actually, much more difficult than I expected.

You glance over at the blue haired woman, who is now eyeing you curiously.

TEXN: Er. Hello. You are... Krystal?

KRYSTAL: Last I checked. Aren't you a hodge-podge?

She smirks, as Dr. Kohl withdraws his hands from your chassis to wipe his brow. Then he finishes snapping your internals back into place. With some deft movements of his hands, he is able to refasten your armor.

TEXN: Did... the softlight projector work, at least?

DR. KOHL: Great question, great question. We did implant it and did some basic tests. Can you detect that it's been plugged into your central motherboard assembly?

You do a quick self check, and indeed, can detect some new equipment was installed in you. You activate it, and a crude hologram pops into existence, overlaying your body. It flickers and glitches in and out for a moment, before stabilizing into the image of an average-looking, male human adult in casual clothing.

You look yourself up and down.

TEXN: How does it look?

KRYSTAL: I believe the term is 'uncanny valley.'

TEXN: ...I am sorry?

She rolls her eyes and waves a hand. A holographic mirror pops into existence. You can see that while you do look human to an extent, there's something... off. Your movements have a slight lag, and your face looks frozen and lifeless. You stare at yourself in the mirror, studying it intently. Even to you, it's... distressing.

TEXN HAS GAINED A PERK!
HUMAN DISGUISE (BASIC): Texn can now pass as human from a distance. If people get too close, examine him too much, or try to talk to him the disguise quickly reveals itself, though.

KRYSTAL: It's kind of stomach turning. Right, Dr. Kohl?

The scientist gets a bit flustered and waves a hand back and forth rapidly.

DR. KOHL: It's - well - uh - not my best work, I admit! But that is just a little bit rude, don't you think?

KRYSTAL: It's true, though. Oh - I just thought of the perfect phrase. "Galvanized corpse."

You immediately turn off the projector, and your shoulders slump. Krystal rolls her eyes again, and continues talking. At first you thought she spoke in a monotone, but she actually just sounds... bored.

KRYSTAL: Stop looking so glum. At least you're not trapped in a basement until your processors burn out.

DR. KOHL: Krystal... please try to be a bit more friendly, we're supposed to be helping!

TEXN: ...I was trapped in Archive X for over a century. And that was after multiple centuries of confinement at the hands of the Illuminati, and the Knights Templar.

Krystal freezes up for a moment.

KRYSTAL: ...Oh. Well then.

There's an awkward silence that stretches out for a few moments. Dr. Kohl looks like he's about to speak before Krystal cuts him off.

KRYSTAL: I need to take care of some things.

Her hologram abruptly vanishes, just leaving you and Dr. Kohl alone in the room together. Dr. Kohl exhales deeply, before reaching for his coffee mug and taking another deep sip before turning back to face you. He makes a face. It must be stone cold.

DR. KOHL: Please forgive Krystal, she's always very... er... moody. In any event, I'm afraid to say that took up almost the entire day. But tomorrow is another day, eh?

> We seem to have burned an entire day on this due to the unfortunate accident. Anything else we want to discuss with Dr. Kohl? Someone suggested trying to build a friendship with him, after all...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oops, looks like knocking out an assessment today is off the table.

If I may ask doctor, what manner of being is Krystal? Is she an animating spirit like me or an artificial construct, and did you have a hand in her coming into existence?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Oops, looks like knocking out an assessment today is off the table.

If I may ask doctor, what manner of being is Krystal? Is she an animating spirit like me or an artificial construct, and did you have a hand in her coming into existence?

TEXN: Understood. If I may ask doctor, what manner of being is Krystal? Is she an animating spirit like me or an artificial construct, and did you have a hand in her coming into existence?

Dr. Kohl sets the mug down, and considers your question.

DR. KOHL: I wish I could take credit for her creation, my boy! But she came from a few hundred years in the future, where mankind has reached out into the stars and colonized dozens of worlds across the galaxy.

TEXN: So she is a time traveler?

DR. KOHL: An accidental one, from a POSSIBLE future. Not our own - that would cause a paradox! Illuminati defense satellites shot down her starship when it appeared, and unfortunately, none of the passengers survived except for Krystal herself.

TEXN: So she is an AI construct?

DR. KOHL: Exactly! Her physical body is not real, I must note. She actually is a hardlight projection. We developed the technology by reverse engineering her.

DR. KOHL: There's been a limit to how much we can pull out of Krystal, however. She was a shipboard AI, not a manufacturing and science compendium. So unfortunately, we haven't been able to jump 300 years in technology.

The human scientist begins powering down the equipment in his lab.

DR. KOHL: On that note... I simply must be going, young man. A hot meal calls to me! But it was a pleasure to get to know you, Texn.

Dr. Kohl extends a hand, and you shake it with your own heavy and awkward limb.

TEXN: Indeed, doctor. Thank you for examining me, as well as for installing the softlight projector.

DR. KOHL: I should be thanking you, for being so patient with my bumbling!

With that, you leave the laboratory, and head back to your quarters. It is time to consider how to spend your night. There are many options, from continuing your studies of humanity, to reaching out to Agatha or Samantha, or even testing out your new softlight projector.

> Now that Texn has both a transportation method, if he calls up Samantha, and a way to NOT terrify human beings in public, the door is wide open for how we want to invest our time this evening. Assessments are not available at night, unfortunately. Though we are not REQUIRED to leave the facility if we don't want to.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

JessAlias posted:

> Now that Texn has both a transportation method, if he calls up Samantha, and a way to NOT terrify human beings in public, the door is wide open for how we want to invest our time this evening. Assessments are not available at night, unfortunately. Though we are not REQUIRED to leave the facility if we don't want to.

Well I should spend some time cleaning up my living space and make it feel more like home.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Do some more research on relating to humanity these days and culture in our room. Why not?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Do some more research on relating to humanity these days and culture in our room. Why not?

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Well I should spend some time cleaning up my living space and make it feel more like home.

You briefly contemplate your living space. Since you just 'moved in,' it is, to be blunt, quite bare. Considering your lack of biological needs, this does not bother you in any meaningful capacity.

Still... it might be nice to make it look like you actually live here. After all, it's not like you're going anywhere anytime soon. You remember from a directory that there's some kind of commissary, or store, here. The only question is how you're going to afford anything. Then you recall that during your onboarding, some of the paperwork did say you'd have an employee expense account, and that a small amount of funds would be deposited to it as a signing bonus. You check and, sure enough, you have enough cash to at least make a few purchases.

Based on what you know of human shopping places these days, it seems to be a combination of a convenience store and a variety store. There is a female clerk who is standing by one of the aisles... seemingly fast asleep, while standing upright. She's wearing an employee uniform consisting of black dress pants and a button up shirt. A nametag is attached to the lapel that reads "Accidie." Her eyes are closed and she's resting her hands on a small metal cart. Apparently, she was in the midst of restocking shelves.

You do your best to tread lightly, hoping someone else is working at the store that will be able to ring you up. After some thought, you pick out a few small plastic plants, a poster of Athens, Greece, and a wall clock. Then you head to the register and peer around, hoping that another worker is in the back or something.

Unfortunately, given the late hour, it appears that she's the only employee available. You finally give up and cautiously tap the bell on the counter. The sleeping clerk's eyes open, and she stares at you blankly for a few seconds before giving a yawn so exaggerated that you can see her molars and the roof of her mouth. Her eyelids drop back down, becoming so lidded that it almost looks like they're closed. You notice her nametag is simply labeled "CD."

CD: Hm? Oh... a customer.

She slowly makes her way back behind the counter and yawns again.

CD: Right... sorry. I hate working at night... I really want to be at home watching a movie or something...

TEXN: Um. I am sorry? Have you asked to work a day shift?

CD: Mmmh... I could, but I don't really have the motivation...

She shrugs.

CD: Besides... then there'd be too many customers.

Despite you not having a human body at the moment, this woman radiates a strange sense of ennui that even makes you feel a bit tired just being in her presence. You make a mental note to never come shopping in here at night ever again.

TEXN: Anyhow... I was hoping to buy some items...

The woman nods, and says nothing.

TEXN: ...these items?

You gesture at the small collection you set on the counter. This time she doesn't even react. Her breathing has slowed down to the point where she barely appears to be alive.

TEXN: Are... you alright?

The woman jerks a bit.

CD: Hm? Oh- yes. My name's Accidie, but people call me CD... and you are...?

You feel a bit bewildered at her nonchalance.

TEXN: Um... Texn?

CD: That's a nice name...

TEXN: Thank you?

There's another long, awkward pause. You make the synthesized equivalent of a cough, and show her your employee badge.

TEXN: May... I make my purchases now?

CD: Sure thing, sure thing...

You watch as the woman runs your items across the scanner one by one, each time yawning massively as she does so. It is nearly a minute before she finally finishes and begins ringing up your items. She punches each key on the register painfully slowly.

CD: That'll be $20.25...

She looks up at you expectantly. You extend your card to her, and she swipes it. The terminal chimes as she bags your items with agonizing slowness. After a moment, something dawns on you.

TEXN: Accidie... that comes from Acedia, or sloth, does it not?

CD: Mmh? Yes. That's my mother.

TEXN: Your mother is the concept of sloth?

She gets a faint smile.

CD: No, silly, my mom is named Acedia. She's a sloth demon.

TEXN: Ah, so... you tempt humans to be... slothful?

The grey-haired demoness gives a half-shrug.

CD: I mostly just work here. It's not bad though, everyone leaves me alone when I'm on shift...

TEXN: Is it normal for an infernal to take a mortal form and work for an organization like the Illuminati?

CD: Not sure...

She finally puts the last item in your bag, and slooooooowly slides it across the counter at you.

CD: Here's your purchases. Have a good night...

She stands there behind the counter, still with the same vague smile on her face, and her breathing slows. You can tell she has fallen back asleep again. You decide it's time to leave, and pick up your purchases and head out the door of the small on-site shop. As you put some distance between you and "CD," you feel that lead weight of slothfulness recede from your mind. The world suddenly feels more crisp and refreshing, as if you had been underwater this whole time, slowly asphyxiating, and emerged from the surface into pure oxygen.

You shake your head a bit to clear it, and head back to your quarters. After arranging the small items you purchased, you take a step back. If you could smile, you would, because it does feel just a tiny bit more home-like.

LUCK ROLL: 17 VS DC 14. SUCCESS!

After that, you do some more research on human culture. This time, you decide to focus on how to make friends. You find some self-help books on the subject, and go through them methodically. By the end, you learn that friendship is formed when two individuals have shared interests and are willing to form a positive relationship with one another. That sounds simple enough to manage. All you need to do is find commonalities with other people. Maybe... pick up hobbies? You contemplate how that would work. You suppose all the pop culture you've digested counts as a hobby, since there are large online groups that do nothing but discuss movies, TV shows, anime, and manga. You decide to find at least a few other hobbies to add to that.

Texn's diplomacy penalty has decreased to -2. Further decreasing of the penalty will have increasing difficulty.

Before you know it, it's dawn again, and the beginning of the next day. You had thoughts yesterday of completing at least one assessment... you've lost an entire day, and decide you should get one of them out of the way. You really don't want to find out what happens if you fail to complete them all.

All assignments advance one day towards their due date. Six (6) days left remaining.

> Previously people mentioned doing two of the assessments - covert ops, and electronic warfare. Which one should we complete first?

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 14, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Go for the electronic warfare assessment.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

+1

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

You review the dossier on the Electronic Warfare Assessment. It will be taking place in the Data Security Department, and... well. If you had eyebrows, you would raise them. It's being administered by Krystal, of all people. You can't help but be curious about what kind of test she'd administer.

You follow the directory to head to the Data Security Department, which is located on Level 598. As always, you get a few stares, though to your gratification you're just one more weird entity in the Illuminati among many. You even have a slightly odd elevator ride with a gigantic demon wearing full power armor. You try to strike up a conversation with him, but he doesn't say anything and just stares straight ahead as the doors open. You aren't sure if it's because he doesn't speak English or he's just shy. Then again... can someone THAT big be shy?

You contemplate this for a short while, before remembering that as a demigod, you were quite large and socially awkward too. Though you handled it a lot less well than this demon did. He doesn't seem the sort to go around randomly murdering people who offend him. At least, you don't think so.

Finally, you reach Level 598, and exit the elevator to the Data Security Department while bidding the large demon a farewell. You pause for a moment while you survey the area. You were expecting some kind of futuristic lab, sort of like the R&D section that Dr. Kohl oversees. But instead, it's a rather boring looking cubicle farm interspersed with a few private offices and conference rooms. It's a sea of bland beige, broken up by the few employees with colorful hair or unusual appearances.

A hologram materializes in front of you. It's Krystal again, and she folds her arms while tapping her foot.

KRYSTAL: You're late.

TEXN: I'm sorry?

KRYSTAL: Are your audio receptors broken? I said you're late.

TEXN: I am confused. I thought these assessments did not have specific due dates or appointments associated.

She rolls her eyes, before leaning in and pointing at you in an accusatory manner. Her speech sounds extra flat and sarcastic when combined with her monotone voice.

KRYSTAL: I sent you an email yesterday with an invite to the assessment, and three reminders since then. You should have checked your emails.

TEXN: ...I am not aware I had an email?

She throws up her hands.

KRYSTAL: Well, I guess you'll have to reschedule then? Too bad for you.

You stand there, processing this. You notice that Krystal has very humanlike mannerisms. Right now, she has a bit of a smirk. You realize she is "giving you a hard time." In some organizations, this is a hazing ritual. You doubt that is the case. She seems frustrated, and you are an easy target. This makes you feel like you shouldn't just let her roll over you... you already lost a day due to Dr. Kohl's 'improvements.' You can't afford to waste even more time.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

This sounds like a part of the assessment more than it is us being messed with. We should have access to storage and hopefully a running email program in our robo-OS, so find that email, modify the invite so that's scheduled for now and take it.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Aesculus posted:

This sounds like a part of the assessment more than it is us being messed with. We should have access to storage and hopefully a running email program in our robo-OS, so find that email, modify the invite so that's scheduled for now and take it.

You consider the situation. On the other hand, this could be part of your assessment. Maybe you need to show you can at least defeat a basic email client's security? It could even be both, really.

TEXN: Do you have my email account information?

KRYSTAL: Hmm? Well, I suppose I could share that with you.

TECHNOLOGY ROLL: 18 +4 PERK BONUS (TECH) = 22 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

She recites the username and password. You take that and through the OS that is still built into your chassis, work out a way to log into the email client remotely. After that, it's short work to defeat the email client's encryption protocols to locate the email that Krystal had sent earlier on her account, and modify the invitation's requested time.

TEXN: Krystal, I am reviewing the invite. The meeting is scheduled for 9AM, not 8AM.

KRYSTAL: What? No it isn't.

TEXN: That is what I am seeing here.

She scoffs a bit, and with a wave of a hand summons a holographic display in front of her that mimics your own, showing a plain text email from her inviting you to take the electronic warfare assessment with her at 9AM.

KRYSTAL: Oh. That's not...

She pauses, and then realizes what you did.

KRYSTAL: ...nice job. You're not supposed to be able to do that from your chassis, you know. Were you spoofing the handshake protocols of a networked computer to get in contact with the server?

You just give a silent nod. There's no point in lying about what you did.

Krystal's face breaks into a wide smile, and she claps a few times.

KRYSTAL: You'll do nicely... meet me in Conference Room 6-117, please.

She vanishes from sight, and you follow the signage to the conference room. A number of laptops have been set up, and there's even a few briefcases scaterred around along with some papers. It's like you both are interrupting an actual meeting or something.

KRYSTAL: We'll be starting with physical security, then we can move on to virtual. The scenario is: Underworld terrorists are threatening us, stating that there's an EMP bomb that is primed and ready to wipe the data on all the portable devices in this room. You have five minutes to determine where the bomb is located based on your available information.

TEXN: ...will something actually go off if I fail to find it?

She shakes her head.

KRYSTAL: Of course not, this is a simulation, the bomb will NOT detonate. But there is a device. Feel free to ask questions, though I may not be able to answer all of them. For example, "Where is the device?" is not a valid question. Other than that, you're free to utilize intelligence assets freely by questioning me.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 14, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Is the data on the portable devices in this room critical? What is the approximate shape of the EMP bomb? Where are the cameras in this room, and were they active when the device was placed? Do we have a floor plan of the room?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's math this out. A device that hits every target would most likely be placed in the middle of them. Trace the centre, start the search there.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Also is there any suspicious activity on site before the bomb threat? Like say security contractors doing unplanned pentest, janitors spotted close to senative areas, ect

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 14, 2024

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Does the device emit any sort of detectable radiation?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Let's math this out. A device that hits every target would most likely be placed in the middle of them. Trace the centre, start the search there.

Is the data on the portable devices in this room critical? What is the approximate shape of the EMP bomb? Where are the cameras in this room, and were they active when the device was placed? Do we have a floor plan of the room?

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Also is there any suspicious activity on site before the bomb threat? Like say security contractors doing unplanned pentest, janitors spotted close to senative areas, ect

By popular demand posted:

Does the device emit any sort of detectable radiation?

TEXN: Is the data on these devices critical?

KRYSTAL: For the purpose of the simulation, it is very much vital information that we need to preserve if at all possible.

TEXN: What is the shape of the EMP bomb?

KRYSTAL: We do not have information on that. The message from the terrorist group just stated that they had planted a device, and that it will destroy the vital data in this room.

TEXN: Do we have camera footage of the room? Were they active when the device was placed?

KRYSTAL: Yes, though we're not sure when the device was placed. We saw nothing untoward in the leadup to the conference.

She waves a hand, and you receive a message in your email client that a video has been shared with you. You review it briefly. You are a bit impressed, the footage shows what you assume are actors assembling for a fake conference, bringing in their laptops, briefcases, etc. Looks pretty normal. At one point a Man in Black sticks his head in and says something, and they all file out briskly.

TEXN: ...what about footage of the period BEFORE the conference?

KRYSTAL: Here you go.

You receive more footage, and this shows the room empty and unused. At one point a janitor comes in to vacuum the floor, but he moves around quickly and doesn't seem to plant anything.

You decide to examine the room. The center of the room seems to be a good start. You get on your knees and peer under the table, finding nothing except more bags and briefcases. You begin searching the bags and briefcases, even attempting to scan them with what remains of your combat optics, but nothing of note comes up.

You stand back up again. Krystal looks bored as she stands there at the head of the conference table, but perks up when she sees you approach.

TEXN: Was there any suspicious activity on site before the bomb threat? Like say security contractors doing unplanned work, janitors spotted close to sensitive areas, etc?

Krystal gets a faint smile. This is the first time you've seen that expression on her face, as opposed to a smirk or irritation.

KRYSTAL: Good question. Everything seemed nominal. We had someone in to repair the copy machine outside the conference room a few days before, but that was a planned maintainance.

TEXN: Does the device emit any sort of detectable radiation?

She shrugs.

KRYSTAL: We don't know. Would you like us to get you monitoring equipment to sweep for radiation? That will take a little time, and you have about 4 minutes left.

Krystal gives a saccharine sweet smile.

KRYSTAL: By the way... if you fail, we do allow retakes. So there is that.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 14, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Is it the usual maintenance Personnel or some new guy "filling in".

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Check the copy machine.

Easy to gloss over authorised presence doing unauthorised things

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Were all of the conference members' IDs verified, their own laptops scanned for suspicious emissions or compositions? Any last-minute attendance changes?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Is it the usual maintenance Personnel or some new guy "filling in".

AJ_Impy posted:

Check the copy machine.

Easy to gloss over authorised presence doing unauthorised things

McSpanky posted:

Were all of the conference members' IDs verified, their own laptops scanned for suspicious emissions or compositions? Any last-minute attendance changes?

TEXN: Possibly. A few other quick questions, first.

TEXN: Were all of the conference members' IDs verified, their own laptops scanned for suspicious emissions or compositions? Any last-minute attendance changes?

KRYSTAL: Yes, their IDs were verified and all members were subjected to security checks. One attendee did call in sick and was substituted in, however, with an interpreter from Argentina.

TEXN: Alright. Question regarding the maintainance person... was it the usual one, or someone who was filling in?

KRYSTAL: Checking... let me get you the work order.

She emails it over to you, and you review the work order for the maintainance on the copy machine. It looks normal, except it's unsigned.

TEXN: This work order has no signature. Is that normal?

Krystal tilts her head, her smile shifting from being a smirk to a slight frown.

KRYSTAL: Hold on, let me see if I can get that resolved for you...

KRYSTAL: Hmm... yes, it looks like it was signed electronically, at the request of one of our conference attendees who wanted it expedited.

KRYSTAL: Apparently Mr. Garcia, a Spanish-language interpreter, needed to make sure he could run copies on behalf of the person he was substituting in for. This is the same Argentine interpreter who was substituted in.

TEXN: Interesting. Am I allowed to leave the room to examine the copier?

KRYSTAL: Go right ahead.

TECHNOLOGY ROLL: 14 +4 PERK BONUS (TECHNOLOGY) = 18 VS DC 12. SUCCESS!

You step outside of the room and start examining the copying machine externally. The model is a common one, and you can find a user manual online after a quick Google search. After you follow the instructions, you quickly open up the copying machine to find that a section has been hollowed out, and a large metal cylinder has been placed inside. The user manual shows no reference to this cylinder as being a normal part of the copying machine. You point at the device, and speak with a high level of confidence.

TEXN: This is the EMP bomb.

Krystal purses her lips, squinting at you.

KRYSTAL: You still had two minutes left. Did you cheat?

TEXN: No? I used deductive reasoning.

She sighs, and with ill grace recites something in a monotone.

KRYSTAL: Congratulations, you found the bomb. You have passed the physical portion of the electronic warfare assessment.

KRYSTAL: Please navigate to Server Room 2-557B (Simulated) to complete the virtual portion of the assessment. You have exactly one hour to complete it before it expires.

TEXN: Thank you, I appreciate it-

She disappears before you can finish your sentence. You follow the directory until you find Server Room 2-557B. You walk into the room and note that the air conditioners are running at full blast, the room would be freezing if you had a normal body. However, the room is empty otherwise.

Krystal appears, folding her arms.

KRYSTAL: Welcome to one of our many Cold Rooms. This one is empty - as you can imagine, this isn't normal. We will be using augmented reality to run this test. Please equip your standard issue AR-557 field sunglasses to begin the test.

TEXN: I... don't have those?

Krystal gives you a blank stare, and repeats what she said again, like she's a unintelligent recording rather than a hyper-advanced AI.

KRYSTAL: Please equip your standard issue AR-557 field sunglasses to begin the test.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Uh you know what I can use my visual sensor as a substitute.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

What's the visual range on our robo-eyes? Can we do a scan in the radio, UV, microwave, etc frequencies? See if there's any data feeds anywhere we can tap into?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Check our e-mail for any other messages about the virtual assessment.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Uh you know what I can use my visual sensor as a substitute.

Aesculus posted:

What's the visual range on our robo-eyes? Can we do a scan in the radio, UV, microwave, etc frequencies? See if there's any data feeds anywhere we can tap into?

McSpanky posted:

Check our e-mail for any other messages about the virtual assessment.

You check your email, and indeed, find that she scheduled an appointment for the virtual assessment along with giving you instructions on what you'll need to be properly prepared. This included arriving with a pair of AR-557 augmented reality sunglasses, which you do not currently have. There's a note that says you can get a pair from the armory, since it's classified as field equipment.

Technically, you can go there right now. This will cut time away from the assessment.

Your optics currently are a modified, amalgamated version of the combat optics that Hercules had. They're designed to see both in the infrared range along with the standard visual range, and have some programming that help outline anatomy and hit chances when aiming at enemies. It wouldn't be too hard to retrofit that programming to stand in for the standard issue sunglasses... but if it doesn't work, you might waste valuable time since you'd have to then go get an actual set of the sunglasses.

This is especially the case because you think you can pick up on a few data feeds that MIGHT constitute an augmented reality network, but you'd need to figure out how they're encrypted and how to get them to feed into your optics. This may be a time-consuming fool's errand if the encryption is superior to the email server's.

> Two choices currently, try to hack the system and thus start right away with a risk of wasting a lot of time, or just take a guaranteed hit of about 10-15 minutes to drop by the armory and come back. Or you can explore other options.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Wait a sec wouldn't the AR glasses require two eyes to use and I only got one optical sensor? So even I get one then I still need to figure out a way to interface with it.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Wait a sec wouldn't the AR glasses require two eyes to use and I only got one optical sensor? So even I get one then I still need to figure out a way to interface with it.

First off, the single optical sensor is quite large, so they'd probably work fine.

Even if they don't, having them in hand would allow Texn to connect with the AR network very quickly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Better go get the AR glasses.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

McSpanky posted:

+1to this no doubt KRYSTAL has already updated the network security after our stunt with the email.

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 15, 2024

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Get the glasses from the armory with a note to integrate their features with our optical suite in the future. Who wears sunglasses at night indoors?

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

+1to this no doubt KRYSTAL has already updated the network security after our stunt with the email.

Aesculus posted:

Get the glasses from the armory with a note to integrate their features with our optical suite in the future. Who wears sunglasses at night indoors?

TEXN: May I be excused to requisition a pair of glasses from the armory?

KRYSTAL: You may, though the clock will continue ticking down. You have exactly one hour from now until the virtual portion of the assessment expires, and it will not be extended.

You leave Krystal standing in the server room and head down to the armory. To your relief, the place seems automated. It looks more like a warehouse than an armory, but you spot what must be the requisitions terminal over on one side.

You walk up to it, and the terminal scans your badge before putting up a prompt asking you to type in your reason for visiting. You key in that you're taking the electronic warfare assessment, and that you need a pair of AR sunglasses. The terminal beeps, and after a few moments, a pneumatic tube system brings down a small plastic case with a pair of sunglasses in them. There's a note that says to return them within 72 hours, and a receipt is printed out for you.

You put the sunglasses on, and go to a nearby mirror to check yourself out. You feel Very Cool wearing the sunglasses, though it does feel a bit odd to wear the tinted spectacles while indoors.

You head back to the Cold Room, and turn on the AR sunglasses by tapping the side of them. They immediately activate. Despite being tinted, you quickly realize that they're designed to compensate with low light levels indoors using a built in camera system. That must be how the Men/Women in Black keep from walking into walls or doors with their sunglasses on inside.

You spot Krystal's holographic projection standing in front of you, and she nods in approval.

KRYSTAL: Good work. I see you got the AR sunglasses. Unfortunately, you have lost 15 minutes for the virtual electronic warfare assessment. You'll need to make every effort in order to pass this test.

She snaps her fingers, and the augmented reality network links up with the sunglasses instantly. Suddenly, it looks like the formerly empty server room is now full of equipment. You are actually rather impressed by the illusion.

The AI points at the various racks of server computers and identifies them verbally. Glowing labels appear above them.

The largest segment have green arrows pointing at them.

KRYSTAL: Low security clearance.

The next segment has yellow arrows.

KRYSTAL: Medium security.

There is finally a single server, with a red arrow.

KRYSTAL: High security.

She turns back to you, hands held behind her back.

KRYSTAL: The same Underworld terrorist group is attempting to steal data assets from our servers.

Krystal points up, and a bar appears that reads 100%.

KRYSTAL: This represents our data security. As more servers are hacked, our security decreases.

One of the low security servers flashes with a yellow "danger" symbol, with an exclamation point. The data integrity drops by 2%, leaving it at 98%.

KRYSTAL: The low security servers have a limited impact when breached. Medium security have a higher impact-

Two of the medium security servers flash, and the data security percentage drops to 78%.

KRYSTAL: If the high security server is breached, you instantly lose the assessment.

Sure enough, it flashes yellow, and in but a moment, the bar drops to 0%.

KRYSTAL: You must allocate resources to prevent a complete breach. Since you have frittered away time due to being unprepared, you will need to move rapidly. You're already 15 minutes after the exercise was supposed to start - that takes away ALL of your preparation time. Think carefully.

The bar restores to 100%, with all servers operating normally. Now that you aren't in the tutorial, you can see that you can just point at a server, and it displays a full diagnostic screen that lets you scan it and troubleshoot. You quickly realize that monitoring low priority servers take about as much processing time as a medium or high priority one, and you definitely can NOT monitor everything at once.

> How do you split your focus?

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 15, 2024

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Wait is it possible to trace the hack back to its source. It would cause the simulated hacker to freak out and stop the hack...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Cut off all data to and from the servers for the allotted time.

Win condition is data uncompromised. No mention of mandatory uptime or a functioning server farm.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

Win condition is data uncompromised. No mention of mandatory uptime or a functioning server farm.

Seconded. When in doubt, pull the plug.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Wait is it possible to trace the hack back to its source. It would cause the simulated hacker to freak out and stop the hack...

AJ_Impy posted:

McSpanky posted:

Seconded. When in doubt, pull the plug.

TEXN: Is it possible to trace the hacks back to the source, to possibly confront them?

KRYSTAL: If you wish. But the intrusions will be fast and furious, and even if we identify the source of a hack, it doesn't necessarily stop the process. Saying we know where someone is won't frighten them into submission necessarily.

You nod, and consider the situation. Then you realize something.

TEXN: To pass this test, is there any requirement for server uptime or data availability?

KRYSTAL: ...no, there is not.

She seems amused at you figuring this out, rather than annoyed you came up with a solution too quickly.

TEXN: Very well.

You walk over to the circuit breaker box, and you switch off the power to the racks of servers. The simulated servers go dark, but indeed, the data security counter stays at 100%.

You fold your hands, and wait a few moments. Suddenly, there's a ping. Your AR glasses report an email is coming in, though you recognize it's not your REAL email address, just a fake one from within the sim. Then another email, then another.

It's a flood of workers (though not real ones!) all complaining about server downtime. You take all their emails and filter them to a folder, ignoring them. It's still a deluge, but you have dealt with far worse in the form of distractions. While learning how to forge, your father's servants had a terrible tendency to try to interrupt while attempting great focus.

Of more interest is an email from one frustrated executive officer, then another. They are demanding immediate answers on why you've shut off access to the medium and high security servers. It appears there is another vitally important conference going on, and they need access to that data. You scan them and it appears their credentials are valid.

> How do we respond? Or do we just ignore them as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BCC e-mails all around: For reasons of data security it has become necessary to temporarily deactivate this server group. We are working as hard as possible to identify and neutralize the threat and bring the server group back online. We apologize for any disruption to ongoing business and thank you for your patience.