Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
OSPREAY VS SHIBATA 18 26.09%
BUCKS VS PP 2 2.90%
WOMENS FOUR WAY 5 7.25%
BEST FRIENDS VS KINGDOM 2 2.90%
SWERVE VS TAKESHITA 42 60.87%
Total: 69 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Looks like a good time to restart my "Fire Orange Cassidy" campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Hefty Leftist posted:

when RAW goes to Netflix, is anyone even going to give a poo poo about TV ratings? i'd like to know the streaming numbers for AEW internationally each week cause that seems to be way more important

the international AEW streaming numbers are definitely not as important because the bulk of their revenue currently comes from their WBD US TV deal

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

apparently most of America does not want really good wrestling. I am once again disappointed in this country

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

JUNGLE BOY posted:

the international AEW streaming numbers are definitely not as important because the bulk of their revenue currently comes from their WBD US TV deal

but again, with RAW going to Netflix surely they're going to get a HBO Max deal to compete with that. TV is dying pretty much universally and it seems ridiculous to think AEW needs to grow to multi-millions in its TV audience (especially considering even WWE at its hottest in years isn't pulling in nearly the amount they did in the 2010s alone). the number growing isn't so much important as a core stable rating every week which its been consistently at for years. i don't get the doom and gloom about it at all

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Kind of silly that Takeshita loses a number one contender match and is completely gone from the top 5. He was tied with Swerve! He should at least break the top 5, even if they push him down TO #5.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Shard posted:

apparently most of America does not want really good wrestling. I am once again disappointed in this country

it’s a great country where any wrestling company has the opportunity to lift itself up by its bootstraps and become #1 if they work hard

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm surprised people like rankings when they make no sense at all

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

They need more wrestlers lined up watching backstage to pad the numbers.

I guess it was in Canada last night so maybe that's why those viewers weren't counted.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Parallax posted:

that's why they rule

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
The rankings are bullshit in UFC too.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

It’s my fault, I had to take my kid to Legoland for spring break and just watched the highlights on YouTube in my hotel room after she went to bed.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Kind of silly that Takeshita loses a number one contender match and is completely gone from the top 5. He was tied with Swerve! He should at least break the top 5, even if they push him down TO #5.

Aside from the caveat of Moxley not wrestling a singles match in a long time, it's a high bar to clear when you've lost high profile matches in consecutive weeks.

It was a very high stakes match!

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Parallax posted:

The same can be said of ratings

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
I was a bit put off by the presentation last night, felt like WWE-lite, especially considering they’ve hired a WWE writer. Which, I’ve also never understood the take that Mercedes is a megastar, she was better than the divas era but now I’ve seen great women’s wrestling in AEW and Mercedes may have mainstream appeal but she can’t touch Storm or Hayter in any capacity. Matches were very good, The Bucks are incredible and I think the best thing going, and I left my tv on when I went to bed before the main event bc I’m an AEW warrior and I’ll always prop up those ratings. I was alive to see WWE during 2009, no amount of annoyance with AEW can ever make me turn my back

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/raion74_/status/1773439929340580078?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
it was only a matter of time, better he rip the bandage off now than try and cling to what little fringe remained

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rumor has it that mercedes will be shooting an angle with bow wow very soon

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm ready for the bald mox era. It's like when angle shaved.

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012

smh, I always knew Mox was just a Stone Cold ripoff :rolleyes:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

He should've clinged to his hair till a hair vs mask match with hechicero

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

AEW needs better story writing to get better ratings and no I do not mean like WWE. I mean like AEW when Cody feuded with MJF, Brodie, and Dustin. When Kenny had the belt, when Moxley was chasing the belt, those were all compelling TV. Good to great matches only draw so much.

I think they should give Ospreay a vicious, giant heel challenger so he can convey that babyface fire he has right now in a way the audience will have to tune in. The Bucks need to be more hateable and not just versions of themselves that idiot twitter marks think they are, that’s getting heat with people who don’t watch. Have them fire someone beloved for bullshit reasons or something.

I love Swerve but he’s missing something too and it’s not his promos or his ring work, his story still feels like wrestling to wrestle and not much else, despite their attempts to add to his chase.

I really wish right now Danielson was a monster heel champion on top because that’d solve a lot of things, he takes too many loving losses in title matches it’s a waste of him, if he wants to lose tell him no, he’s the best wrestler alive and a great heel, make him cook.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

AEW should not change at all because its wrestling made for me and not anyone else and why the gently caress would i want it to change

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I honestly don't think anything would hotfix ratings right now. That's not really how ratings work. poo poo takes a while before it actually ebbs and flows. I personally love aew right now and don't want it to change

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

I'm loving AEW right now but I do have to agree with EMF in that it's missing any monster heels up and down the card.

Joe rules but he's a tweener really and when swerve wins it who's the heel?

Okada was showing glimpses of this against Eddie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Suplex Liberace posted:

AEW should not change at all because its wrestling made for me and not anyone else and why the gently caress would i want it to change

I agree with Suplex Liberace, I am a big fan of Tony's policy of making a wrestling show for me personally. It's why I am so baffled by his deliberate attempts to anger me by putting PPVs on a Sunday... :(

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

for those still on the fence about buying Honor Club for Supercard

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Jerusalem posted:

I agree with Suplex Liberace, I am a big fan of Tony's policy of making a wrestling show for me personally. It's why I am so baffled by his deliberate attempts to anger me by putting PPVs on a Sunday... :(

it's like an inverse of the story of lot in the bible. everything is beautiful and nothing hurts...EXCEPT keeping me up late on a work night every month or three.

Get it Together, Tony!!

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

A Swerve title chase would feel much hotter if Hangman was champion.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

AEW needs better story writing to get better ratings and no I do not mean like WWE. I mean like AEW when Cody feuded with MJF, Brodie, and Dustin. When Kenny had the belt, when Moxley was chasing the belt, those were all compelling TV. Good to great matches only draw so much.

I think they should give Ospreay a vicious, giant heel challenger so he can convey that babyface fire he has right now in a way the audience will have to tune in. The Bucks need to be more hateable and not just versions of themselves that idiot twitter marks think they are, that’s getting heat with people who don’t watch. Have them fire someone beloved for bullshit reasons or something.

I love Swerve but he’s missing something too and it’s not his promos or his ring work, his story still feels like wrestling to wrestle and not much else, despite their attempts to add to his chase.

I really wish right now Danielson was a monster heel champion on top because that’d solve a lot of things, he takes too many loving losses in title matches it’s a waste of him, if he wants to lose tell him no, he’s the best wrestler alive and a great heel, make him cook.

danielson is deliberately winding down and trying to get out, the last thing he probably wants is a demanding title run. i disagree with the swerve thing entirely, his goals and journey have been very clearly communicated by him and the company, he's been on this world championship chase for 6+ months now still trying to get a clean 1 on 1 shot with the champ. the only thing i think you could have done to really add some spice to it and extend it longer is probably have had Hanger win it and have him be the one to drop it to swerve but that would only take away from Joe's reign.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

i just said its made for me and i work on saturdays >:u

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Thinking of going to my first aew show next Wednesday, is it best to wait til last minute for tickets if I dont care too much where I sit?

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012
i'll watch aew weekly when cable starts being worth it just for three shows

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

faantastic posted:

Thinking of going to my first aew show next Wednesday, is it best to wait til last minute for tickets if I dont care too much where I sit?

yeah, absolutely. my buddy picked seats for newark in january and i said id pay him back. we sat on hard cam side and i wound up paying like $100 a ticket. a dude a few seats down paid like $60 total for buy one, get one (edit: day of buy)

that said, there's a shitload of tickets left and they're already pretty cheap. oh drat, collision is getting taped too? poo poo, i might have to go to worcester

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

faantastic posted:

yes. Unless it's a particularly high selling show, most do a lot of walk up business.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Suplex Liberace posted:

i just said its made for me and i work on saturdays >:u

So it's YOUR fault!?! How dare you abuse poor Tony's trust like this! :argh:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaveman posted:

I'm loving AEW right now but I do have to agree with EMF in that it's missing any monster heels up and down the card.

Joe rules but he's a tweener really and when swerve wins it who's the heel?

Okada was showing glimpses of this against Eddie.

I feel like this is the biggest flaw in the booking of Lance archer, Brian cage, and just about all the monster heels in the company. There should be at least one guy just kinda storing up wins smearing dudes across the mat basically at all times. It’s tried and true booking, but I feel like since Dark and Elevation left, they haven’t even been doing that on rampage.

Having a dude show up and go nuts fighting one top babyface and being really awesome and then losing is fine once or twice, but that has been lance’s entire AEW career, outside of some stuff like the mini feud with marko stunt

Wardlow needs to not be the one dude that this is used on

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The problem is that squashes against jobbers do nothing for heels in AEW. The fanbase either blanks on them or begins to resent the heel for taking up precious good match time.

Heels need to have decisive wins against faces in AEW but if they do they become cool and stop being heels pretty quickly. Tony also hates having any wrestler he's even slightly pushing suffer losses (although there are signs this might be changing).

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!

Hefty Leftist posted:

but again, with RAW going to Netflix surely they're going to get a HBO Max deal to compete with that. TV is dying pretty much universally and it seems ridiculous to think AEW needs to grow to multi-millions in its TV audience (especially considering even WWE at its hottest in years isn't pulling in nearly the amount they did in the 2010s alone). the number growing isn't so much important as a core stable rating every week which its been consistently at for years. i don't get the doom and gloom about it at all

I would love for AEW's weekly programming to move to streaming. A major perk would be no longer having to deal with people who unironically validate their enjoyment with Quarter Ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I didnt say this in the roh thread because i think itd be mean, as a subscriber to roh honor club theres and as someone who enjoys eddie and athena as the best thing the tk extended universe has. Theyre up against a spring break with Blue kane, maki death kill, and danhausen and that may as well blow super card out of the water as hard as super card will destroy go home smackdown.