Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
OSPREAY VS SHIBATA 18 26.09%
BUCKS VS PP 2 2.90%
WOMENS FOUR WAY 5 7.25%
BEST FRIENDS VS KINGDOM 2 2.90%
SWERVE VS TAKESHITA 42 60.87%
Total: 69 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Insane in-ring action tonight on free TV on a Wednesday huh. gently caress what a show

I really liked some of the extra videos and segments they did, and thought the show flowed incredibly well. However, both Okada and Joe doing the TV spot was a little odd, as was both Okada and Mercedes doing "arrives to the arena" spots. Probably should have checked the run sheet there.

I do think there's a way to fix the "monitor watching" cut ins if they want to do them and it's really just to make the monitor...actually in a place, not The Interview Set. The shot last week of the Bucks with Tony in the production area was very clever. Ring of Honor is really good at showing that the Interview Area is part of a larger Backstage Area which gives the whole show a sense of place and it's a huge reason why the Dalton and Johnny bits have been so fun. I dunno, just some stray thoughts!

Yeah, great show. Really great show. Collision should be super fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pylons posted:

The Bucks hit the "Made in Detroit" tonight

I want the Best Friends to do the deal and win the drat thing but if the Bucks' victory celebration is interrupted by MOOOOTOR CIIITYY I will poo poo a brick

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

Why is Trent drinking piss?

A loving tribute to Piss Jug Mike

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

There were parts of that match where Mercedes stopped trying to play cool and just started marking out for all the sick spots and I hope she realizes that she can and should do that more because it added to a fun, fun match. I loved how it really shifted to another gear, and Skye Blue's been improving so much since her dark turn. She and Julia are SUCH a fun duo.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

For sure. I'm more than willing to give her some time to realize that she can have some freedom and doesn't have to Play The Part all the time. It took Edge a little bit to loosen up and understand the rhythm of AEW, too, and he turned out great. She's a fantastic wrestler and has rockstar charisma, and while she's never been the best talker I definitely think there's a large part that's held back by the WWE-isms she never really got a chance to shed before her injury. I have a lot of empathy for her because it can be so difficult breaking through that barrier if you've only known one style through your professional career, and especially if you come from a place where if you put one toe out of line you're severely punished (as she was!). Once she understands the more organic nature of AEW I have no doubt she'll adapt.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pinwiz11 posted:

LOOK AT OKADA ON THAT RANKINGS IMAGE

God it looks so good seeing those four next to each other. What a cool time for AEW, what a great roster.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

But not as bad as your posts!!!! :boomshaka:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Will vs. Will is going to loving rock, thank you Tony

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

HE'S THE BEST WRESTLER
THE BESTLER
BETTER THAN ALL THE RESTLER

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I want to see more Mercedes matches. The clear wait to build anticipation for her first match is a TK special and it's not bad promotion, and they'll probably have her wrestle Skye Blue at the PPV. But I'm impatient!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

dynamite rear end match! think bigger Erin like what about Riho a match i will pay 40 bucks for

I was just trying to think about it from a "this is the story she's in" perspective but you're right!!! gently caress it!!!! Have her wrestle Riho!!!!! gently caress any story I wanna see the match so I can hoot and/or holler!!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It really does make me happy how hot the crowd was for Copeland vs. Cardona, just a really cool surprise. I love open challenge title runs and I hope we continue to get a nice mix of wild surprises from all over the wrestling world and young AEW guys able to step up and get some ring time with a veteran. And like I said in the live thread, I can't say I ever thought I'd see Edge sharing a ring with Mark Briscoe and Eddie Kingston, let alone for the three to cut a promo together. Wrestling in 2024 is wild :allears:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Miching Mallecho posted:

I just like knowing that the jokes about Skye being disappointed about not doing a flaming table spot were probably actually true

https://x.com/drainbamager/status/1774417319604731936?s=46

:yeshaha:

This is genuinely so sweet. It's fun to see wrestlers figuring out what works for them in real time, and that deathmatch was a blast. I hope it helped her tap into more of the cool crazed energy that she's showing with this Julia partnership. They're both improving so much.

Now let her do a flaming table spot!!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

SkyeBlushi Onita

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Matt Cardona's Facebook page posted:

@ratedrcope vs. Cardona…my dream match…finally happened last night at #AEWCollision.

When I was in high school, Edge was one of my favorite wrestlers. I’d have matches with him (an invisible version) in my bedroom or trampoline.

Him reinventing himself into the Rated R Superstar made me an even bigger fan of his.

A couple of years later, @myers_wrestling and I made it to WWE but were drowning as The Major Brothers. We were about be fired. We had an idea to be Adam’s entourage…his Edgeheads. He didn’t need us but we certainly needed him. He took a chance on us, saved our careers, and changed our lives.

We went from sitting in catering about to be fired to wrestling guys like Undertaker, Batista, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, etc. We learned so much from working so close to Adam. Our first time at WrestleMania was being involved in the main event! I thought the next year at WrestleMania it’d be Edge vs. Hawkins vs. Ryder. That didn’t happen. LOL.

16 years (holy poo poo!) flew by so fast. Adam had to retire due to a neck injury in 2011. My dream match would never happen. Adam returns to WWE in 2020. I get fired from WWE in 2020. My dream match would never happen.

I’ve been busting my rear end these past 4 years to reinvent myself. Adam is the Rated R Superstar and I’m the Self Made Superstar. I’ve been everywhere. I’ve wrestled everyone. When Adam joined @aew in 2023, I knew my dream match was back on the table.

Last night in Canada, Adam had the Cope Open…an open challenge for his TNT Championship. I accepted. The fans didn’t forget the history. There was a HOLY poo poo chant on my god drat entrance. I may have lost but I learned even more from Adam from that match. It was a night that I’ll never forget. I finally wrestled my dream match.

Thank you Adam. Thank you @tonyrkhan for the opportunity.

:3:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Adam Copeland posted this on Instagram:

quote:

The last two weeks have been pretty drat special in my career.
Last week in Toronto vs @christian4peeps and this week in London, ON @themattcardona

Matt and share a long history. For years I was frequently told that wrestling fans won't remember. To which I've always vehemently disagreed. Last night proved you don't forget. And you actually enjoy seeing long stories told. Years ago Matt and @myers_wrestling emailed me with an idea. To be my Edgeheads. Nefarious Edge doppelgängers. I was really impressed that they took that chance, and it was also a helluva an idea. We ran with it. And every night from that point forward they were either ringside watching me face Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Batista, Kane, Rey Mysterio etc etc. or they were wrestling these guys. Absolute legends in our business. They watched, they learned.

Last night that all came full circle when Matt stepped up for The Cope Open. The Rated R Superstar vs The Self Made Superstar. It was surreal. found after that it was also 16 years to the day, that we were all involved in the main event of WrestleMania. Serendipity. also realized about 10 seconds in, that the lessons took. The dude is awesome. An absolute pro. He's surpassed what he ever learned from me. It was a privilege and one more memory created in @aew

Proud of ya kid.

:kimchi:

There's a lot that's sticking out to me, but hearing him specifically say that he was told fans wouldn't care about Edge vs. Christian or Edge vs. Hawkins/Ryder is wild. I'm really glad they got to do the match. You can really tell how much it meant to them even as it was going on.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

There are so many people who don't realize that Grand Princess '24 is the name of the event and are getting so mad about it, which makes it even funnier.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If you're someone who is not used to being in physical altercations and are confronted by a wrestler who has just choked a coworker in a confined space surrounded by heavy television carts that are being knocked over, you have a pretty good reason to believe your safety is at risk in the heat of the moment.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Releases, when not requested, are poo poo, and cutting Dasha makes no sense to me. You're not going to get Justin Roberts on every show and Dasha was already filling in for him on weeks he couldn't make it, and as much as I like Bobby Cruise I like him as the ROH voice. Absolutely baffling decision.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Barry Bluejeans posted:

guess it was just too easy to do nothing today and take the PR win for twenty-four loving hours

Seriously, possibly the worst timing.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Anthony Henry while he's injured, and The Boys in the middle of the Dalton/Johnny storyline and right before Supercard? Dasha while she's regularly featured on TV? The gently caress?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Parker Boudreaux after saying he was still with AEW...he caused this.

Gravity is really bumming me out :( Loved that funky little dude.

Jose makes no loving sense though

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Getting rid of The Boys just as Castle is facing Johnny TV is utterly baffling.

Yeah this is genuinely bizarre, The Boys are a centerpiece to this whole feud, and are an indispensable part of Dalton's presentation. I guess they're gonna go back to just having extras as Boys instead of dedicated Boys but it's still so strange.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm way madder than I expected at Jose. He was such a fun element in LFI. I know with RUSH's injury & visa issues they haven't done much but come on.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Releases are always lovely. At least with someone like Slim J you can understand that he did his part in early ROH and it was probably time for him to go. Cutting active roster members like The Boys, Dasha, or Jose is genuinely bizarre, and cutting an injured talent like Anthony Henry specifically is just scummy. Unless there's some kind of story that comes out about talent requesting a release or similar, yeah. Bad vibes.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

fez_machine posted:

A lethal injection of poisson

:golfclap:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm going to hope that some of the weirder ones have to do with their being offered some kind of out from their contract rather than an unceremonious dumping but I guess we'll see.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I would assume that these were planned beforehand knowing that it was the start of the new fiscal and I doubt anyone was just chucked out on their ear, but it is unfortunate that the weird timing and news of the day combined with the release of a regularly-featured ring announcer and very active-on-social-media manager made the look seem so much worse. It's not even that releases are uncommon in wrestling or other sports, even if they always kinda suck, it's just that as always a combination of circumstances out of AEW's control and a few that could have been handled better have bubbled up.

With all that said, I'm still in awe at Punk hitting himself in his own dick and balls in the interview. Out here like I Think You Should Leave. "You should be able to choke someone a LITTLE BIT at work"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I can certainly appreciate that this is better than most companies doing layoffs - my old workplace went semi-viral for doing a massive layoff a few weeks after I left, and the Teams call where it was announced was recorded, posted, and farmed for engagement views (and yet, none of the reporters who posted the video seemed to want to follow up about the many other things I could have blown the whistle about, strange!) - but in general, drat, I just don't like seeing anyone laid off at all. I think there was a hope that this company would be different and only grant releases if requested, but it has been five years so we'll probably have to get used to these happening here and there.

The timing of Parker's tweet was darkly funny though. I hope he manages to unlock what he needs in Mexico.

Seams posted:

Insanely pissed off that these jobbers were released because now I can’t post about how they need to get off my tv on the rare occasions they appeared on it

lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I'm going to wonder if it was requested because otherwise I genuinely don't think it makes sense. Even if, hypothetically, she would have to be released in order for a new contract better befitting her current company role to be drawn up, I do not think it would be reported this way. It really is bizarre and I'd argue the big sticking point that makes this story feel larger than it mostly is.

As for The Boys, I think they're just going to shift to using extras as Boys rather than a dedicated tag team of Boys, which there's precedent for.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Shard posted:

upon reflection, this entire storyline has been a vehicle to write the boys off tv while pushing Dalton and Johnny TV. They really did die on those mountains. I'm fine with that because at least it's been compelling television.

"In the aaaaarms of an aaaangel~"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I love MCMG and it'll be awesome to see them but it's definitely bittersweet in wake of the news. Poor Slim J, I know he was just an ROH job guy there to be an original early on but I hope he lands on his feet.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

HIS NAME IS SHITHEAD

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

That feud ender where he sent Christian to hell was awesome, and even the match with Hook at All In that lead to Brawl In was really great stuff. He's a good, if unseasoned wrestler who has a lot to learn but is in his mid 20s so I'll give him time to do so.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Drakkel posted:

Between the lovely releases and hiring Ric Flair it's been a bad time for expecting this company to be any better than WWE. I guess there's no sex trafficking at least.

It's nowhere near comparable in shittiness. Don't do false equivalence; it will only make you miserable.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It loving ruled. Christian is so good at losing feuds.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Jack should have brought in David Arquette at least once to help him during a match. You know that guy would be down to take a stupid bump or two.

I was praying that his constant diving into getaway cars would lead to a reveal that Arquette was his limo driver.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Shard posted:

Joe gonna lose to Swerve at Dynasty. I've been very happy with Joe's monster run but I need Swerve to be the champ. The time is now.

Agreed. He had the great defense against Hook, the triple threat, and the Wardlow defense. A rock-solid trio of title defenses leading up into a hot program, perfect time to crown a new face. Joe's a forever-fave for me, but you couldn't have asked for a better, more impactful short run to bring that title back to the top.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Of all the releases this one is probably the one that is most for the best because he does have potential and it was just too soon.

https://twitter.com/GravityLuchador/status/1775356330892554265

I hope he has a long career and comes back once he's more seasoned. He's a funky guy with a really fun gimmick, and doing a bunch of reps will be great for him, get him to get work out the kinks. I wish him luck. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm ready for a Battle of Wills