Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
neat and distinct appearance.

can you apply the coating to other surfaces than paper?

If this works for hard objects like ceramics and metal, you could make some neat decorative items that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Blackhawk posted:

• The laser is controlled by an 8-bit microcontroller running GRBL which chokes trying to process all of the commands from running at such a high resolution and slows the laser down, a 32-bit board would improve command throughput significantly so I could print faster

FWIW I had pretty good results upgrading my lasercutter to 32-bit with a Panucutt Re-Arm board as the main controller, hosting Smoothieware. Lightburn works fine with it. I had so many buffer problems with the original 8-bit configuration. Engraving and cutting all works a lot better and it wasn't too difficult to get to work. Also it was a reversible hack since I retained the original driver board talking to the steppers and the HV laser module. However, I've never managed to dial in any semblance of good gradient / exposure intensity control.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
this may be too obvious, but have you considered exposing the plates using the UV backlit LCD of a resin 3D printer? You can buy UV modules with collimators and 8K panels pretty cheap. Of course that would produce a fixed-resolution pixel grid as opposed to the variable pitch raster exposure mode you have now.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
There is also perhaps the question of what flavor UV you need. I think resin 3D printers expose with UV-B light, and that's what those lamp modules and collimating fresnels are designed for. What's the spec on your UV laser?