Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i saw this happen live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/matthewkawahara/status/1773376138087125369

Wouldja look at that, a modern, data supported full power lineup. Zero vibes here. No one "earning" poo poo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I have the shirt Branson made with this bird's face and the quote "What can they do? Kill my son?" and watching people really take it all in is always an incredible experience.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

Wouldja look at that, a modern, data supported full power lineup. Zero vibes here. No one "earning" poo poo

lots of scumbags and cheaters imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NGL I'm keeping a weather eye on this guy
https://twitter.com/matthewkawahara/status/1773378810114724056
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dmoT9AfoI

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Spencer Apartheider

unrelated to that, but in the spirit of opening day:
https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1773370132175241281?s=20

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 28, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1773366562738544802

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Beat the Streak is open, if you indulge.

This is the year I play Beat the Streak every day. I can just feel it. I won't totally forget about it 20 days into the season, no sir...

mcmagic posted:

lots of scumbags and cheaters imo

Honestly, I wish people would try to cheat more in baseball. Not over the top cheating like PEDs and banging schemes, but just trying little things as much as possible.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 28, 2024

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I put (a small amount of) money on the Orioles to win the AL. Don’t let me down, boys.

Also, want that Branson Reese shirt now.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

tadashi posted:

Honestly, I wish people would try to cheat more in baseball. Not over the top cheating like PEDs and banging schemes, but just trying little things as much as possible.

The Solid Snake mission where a guy crawled through the drop ceiling of a ballpark to try and steal a teammate's corked bat from a room before it could be inspected deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, and I will not be convinced otherwise.

Go Your Minnesota Twins, we have broken the curse, anything is now possible!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1773382869903085765?s=20

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Go cubs.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
JAMES
👁️

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Warming Bernabel

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

god these neck tattoos are awful

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

Warming Bernabel

Bobson Dugnutt

How should I, a casual fan of the Tonto Blue Jays, set my expectations? Right now they are at "Probably not great but could be fun to watch".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Bobson Dugnutt

How should I, a casual fan of the Tonto Blue Jays, set my expectations? Right now they are at "Probably not great but could be fun to watch".

3rd in the AL East

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

zoux posted:

3rd in the AL East

Business as normal then. Gotcha.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Bobson Dugnutt

This is a good expectation to set for like 90% of baseball teams

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Rays put Wander Franco on administrative leave

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Doesn't that mean they're still paying him? You'd think it would be the restricted list.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bawfuls posted:

This is a good expectation to set for like 90% of baseball teams

As primarily a hockey fan it is an expectation that is often not met so that is good to know.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Furnaceface posted:

Bobson Dugnutt

The Orioles and Rays are way better on paper, the Yankees are probably about on par, the Red Sox are worse. It would take a miracle for them to win the division imo, but a WC feels pretty feasible since honestly the AL is pretty stratified this year with half the AL West and almost all of the AL Central looking like garbage. They also seem fun in general which is always good.

Tentative AL predictions: Astros take the west but Seattle finishes a close second on the back of a very good rotation and snag a WC. Royals surprise in the Central but the Guardians ultimately still take it. Orioles clean sweep the East, Yankees perform significantly worse than they're predicted to and there's a lot of national media handwringing about it that is extremely funny.

Tentative NL predictions: Dodgers steamroll the West while the D-Backs regress, Cubs eek out a division win on the back of an 85 win season because the NL Central is dogshit garbage, NL East is a slugfest between the Braves, Phillies, and Mets with two of the three WC spots going to the runners up in the division.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I don't know why I only just realized this after a lifetime of playing and watching baseball and hearing "6-4-3 double play" a million times, but why are the infield positions numbered like this (specifically why is SS out of order)?

5-6-4-3

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mike_V posted:

I don't know why I only just realized this after a lifetime of playing and watching baseball and hearing "6-4-3 double play" a million times, but why are the infield positions numbered like this (specifically why is SS out of order)?

5-6-4-3

No one knows exactly but it happened sometime between 1890 and 1900

quote:

Shannon recalls that, out of nowhere, Bradley began talking about a great ancient conflict between rival camps of scorers, one of which favored the shortstop as “5” and the other as “6.” The inevitable clash occurred, Bradley told him, at the first game of the first modern World’s Series.

The World’s Series, of course, had gone out with a whimper and not a bang in 1890. Though the Brooklyn Bridegrooms and Louisville Cyclones had been tied at three wins apiece, disinterest in that war-ravaged season was so profound that attendance at the last three games had been 1,000, 600, and 300, respectively. They didn’t even bother to play the decisive game.

Thus when the series was restored 13 years later, every attempt was made to keep haphazardness and informality out of the proceedings. Not just one official scorer was required, but two — and the two foremost baseball media stars of the time: Francis C. Richter of Philadelphia, the publisher and editor of Sporting Life, and Joseph Flanner of St. Louis, editor of The Sporting News.

Hugh Bradley could not have witnessed it, but he could have heard it second- or third-hand. As the rivals from the two publications filled out their scorecards, somewhere in the teeming confusion of the Huntington Avenue Grounds in Boston, somebody — probably the more volatile Flanner — peeked.

And he didn’t like what he saw.

Richter was numbering Pittsburgh shortstop Honus Wagner as “5” and third baseman Tommy Leach as “6.”

Questioned by Flanner, Richter supposedly responded that that was the way they kept score where he came from, and why would anybody do it any differently?

The basis of their argument was supposed to have been regional. The shortstop, Bradley told Shannon, was still a comparatively new innovation in the game, and it really defined two different positions. In Flanner’s Midwest, he was positioned much like the softball short-fielders, not truly an infielder and thus not meriting an interruption of the natural numbering of the basemen. In Richter’s East, the shortstop had developed into what he is today — the second baseman’s twin. So what if he didn’t anchor a bag? It was second baseman “4,” shortstop “5,” third baseman “6” and don’t they have any good eye doctors out there in St. Louis, friend Flanner?

Bradley’s recounting of the conflict had voices being raised and dark oaths being sworn before the more malleable Richter gave way, little knowing that he was ceding the issue forever on behalf of generations to come who saw the same logical flaw he had seen.

Bill Shannon’s authority on such matters is near absolute. He can not only recount virtually every game he’s ever seen, but can also run down the personnel histories of the sports departments at the dearly departed of New York’s newspapers. He believes in the long-gone Bradley’s saga of near-fisticuffs between Richter and Flanner — while ‘Nuf Sed McGreevey and his Royal Rooters worked themselves into a frenzy before the first pitch of the 1903 Series — because of its likely provenance.

One of Bradley’s writers when he was sports editor of the Post in the ‘30s was Fred Lieb, himself almost antediluvian enough to have witnessed the Flanner-Richter showdown. Shannon suspects Bradley got the story from Lieb, and that Lieb had gotten it from his fellow Philadelphian Francis Richter.

For now, that’s all we’ve got — a pretty good-sounding anecdote.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 28, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

As primarily a hockey fan it is an expectation that is often not met so that is good to know.
I guess I have a more expansive definition of "fun to watch" than some, but I think basically any team that's projected to win at least 75 games has something fun worth watching most of the time.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Furnaceface posted:

Bobson Dugnutt

The Jays are going to follow the rest of the Toronto sports teams and suck rear end.

I honestly can't see them making the playoffs. I am setting the bar so low that if they get a winning record I would be surprised. They didn't make any additions and they are hoping that all their bats suddenly start working again. I hate that idea. They didn't change anything to suggest that this team is going to "make the next step" and in many ways it feels like they took a step backward.

I am thinking they will finish last place in the East and win 72 games.

Also tickets prices are up again this year to help pay for the renovations to skydome. So we pay more for a shittier team. The Rogers model of excellence.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Doesn't that mean they're still paying him? You'd think it would be the restricted list.

He could fight going on the restricted list since it’s punitive and he hasn’t been convicted of anything. I’m sure they’d rather eat the $2 million and ignore him rather than get into a public slap fight with the union and his lawyers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently if he's convicted of a crime later they can take any money paid to him back while he was on the administrative leave list

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Taking a moment to appreciate the one day a year the Royals are technically in first place.

Hoping we can avoid another 100 loss season this year. Yeah, you could say I have high expectations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants optioned Marco Luciano and Luis Matos. Matos should be up this weekend though, when Yaz goes on paternity leave. With Marco, I get it, he probably needs a month or 2 against high level pitching. But drat it I want my shiny new shortstop now. :mad:

Snell is on the Opening Day roster. Wont pitch the first time through the rotation but it sounds like he's almost ready to go.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

welp, it's time to prepare for another 162 game season of Rockies baseball....
oh no....

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

huge if true

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Exodor posted:

Hoping we can avoid another 100 loss season this year. Yeah, you could say I have high expectations.

Otherwise known as The AL Central Mantra

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

will_colorado posted:

welp, it's time to prepare for another 162 game season of Rockies baseball....
oh no....

Praying for you to win 80 and for the Monforts to hire a manager

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The funniest possible outcome is players hoarding old uniforms even as they visibly come apart on them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

The funniest possible outcome is players hoarding old uniforms even as they visibly come apart on them.

The dodgers should just forfeit all their games to protest the new uniforms.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Isentropy posted:

Praying for you to win 80 and for the Monforts to hire a manager sell the team

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://x.com/brianmctaggart/status/1773416921116860555?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

That’s Bielak, Suzyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I will take the Detroit Tigers having signs of being real good in the near future please

you fool, that's how they set you up for disappointment