Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

mcmagic posted:

What a TERRIBLE signing LeMehieu ended up being. Cashman is a truly terrible GM.

Didn't you once claim that DJ LeMehieu was one of the 10 best players in baseball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

habeasdorkus posted:

Didn't you once claim that DJ LeMehieu was one of the 10 best players in baseball?

He was! His first 2 years with the Yankees were elite level production. The contract I was talking about was the extension and he hasn't been close to the same player since signing it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
DJ has had what feels like five different foot injuries in the last two years

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's gotta be the shoes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fast Luck posted:

was surprised Ben Brown still came out of the pen last night

with Cool Kyle "injured" and Steele still out i figured they'd need to save bigass Ben for the rotation.
It was only for one inning and he threw gently caress all pitches so maybe they were just considering that his pen work for the day and he'll still grab a start down the line? Alternatively I guess WESNASTY™ might grab the next open start, I believe he's stretched out fully.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wesnasty for closer :getin:

Yency's save last night was a silly 5-run one, since he came in with a four run lead with two on in the 8th.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

DJ has had what feels like five different foot injuries in the last two years

He's signed for 2 more years after this one lol

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
He signed his extension after the 2020 season. Which is when you were saying he was one of the 10 best players in baseball. It's 6/90, which isn't exactly a big contract - especially for a club like the Yankees.

e: Like, if you want to argue it was a bad contract then because there was no way he was actually one of the 10 best players in baseball at the time he signed the contract, sure, that makes sense. But you're basically arguing that you're an idiot and Cashman should be smarter than you. Which, fair enough, I'd hope all our teams GM's aren't as dumb as we are.

e2: Sorry Rockies fans, they're dumber.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 24, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

He signed his extension after the 2020 season. Which is when you were saying he was one of the 10 best players in baseball. It's 6/90, which isn't exactly a big contract - especially for a club like the Yankees.

e: Like, if you want to argue it was a bad contract then because there was no way he was actually one of the 10 best players in baseball at the time he signed the contract, sure, that makes sense. But you're basically arguing that you're an idiot and Cashman should be smarter than you. Which, fair enough, I'd hope all our teams GM's aren't as dumb as we are.

He was a great player for 2 years with the yankees, re signed and then immediately became terrible. That is just what happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

He was a great player for 2 years with the yankees, re signed and then immediately became terrible. That is just what happened.

Many such cases

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

He was! His first 2 years with the Yankees were elite level production. The contract I was talking about was the extension and he hasn't been close to the same player since signing it.

You were demanding for the Yankees to pay him and said they're a joke franchise if they did not over a 25 million dollar difference.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Wesnasty for closer :getin:

Yency's save last night was a silly 5-run one, since he came in with a four run lead with two on in the 8th.

It was a save that the Cubs did not blow, so I'll take it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Rays and Dodgers both were hot after him so even the teams everyone thinks are smart would have gotten burned too

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The teams attendance has absolutely cratered, it’s shocking how empty the stadium is.

But their announced attendance at each game is so high! I thought they were doing great!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

That Phillies game was a rough watch last night.

I was _very_ thankful my son had t-ball during it and I didn't watch anything past Bohm's RBI.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

It was only for one inning and he threw gently caress all pitches so maybe they were just considering that his pen work for the day and he'll still grab a start down the line? Alternatively I guess WESNASTY™ might grab the next open start, I believe he's stretched out fully.

With the way the schedule is lined up that spot isn't til Saturday, wouldn't surprise me to see Wez get some work today and then have Brown/Wez piggyback for that game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You were demanding for the Yankees to pay him and said they're a joke franchise if they did not over a 25 million dollar difference.

You are right, I didn't expect him to fall off a cliff the way he did and I'm also not paid 7 million dollars to be the GM of the yankees.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to have every different foot injury under the sun plus a back problem

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You are right, I didn't expect him to fall off a cliff the way he did and I'm also not paid 7 million dollars to be the GM of the yankees.

You would have called Brian Cashman the worst GM in baseball if he'd let Lemahieu walk. You can say he's a terrible GM but you can't use both sides of the same argument to do so!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You would have called Brian Cashman the worst GM in baseball if he'd let Lemahieu walk. You can say he's a terrible GM but you can't use both sides of the same argument to do so!!!

Not sure he's the worst GM in baseball but he's a bad GM and his record over the last decade plus speaks for itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The worst GM in baseball is any meddling owner.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like I hate Ross Atkins, general manager of the Toronto Blue Jays.

However, he may have actually been correct in paying Yusei Kikuchi and trading for Daulton Varsho. Maybe. We'll see.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

This is the worst part of the whole thing

idk it's kind of funny Molina was apparently the only person managing the pitching staff and once he retired they threw Contreras under the bus to cover for the fact none of the pitchers knew how to prep for a game anymore.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I still find it hard to believe the Astros are this bad and think they will be ok when they get their 300 injured pitchers back, but it is very nice of them rught now to give the rest of baseball an opportunity to throw them into the toilet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

are we talking about bad extensions?

Chris Taylor since signing his 4 year $60M deal with the Dodgers in the winter of '21: .220/.308/.377, an 88 OPS+ and 34.3% strikeout rate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

I still find it hard to believe the Astros are this bad and think they will be ok when they get their 300 injured pitchers back, but it is very nice of them rught now to give the rest of baseball an opportunity to throw them into the toilet.

It'll be too late. The whole loving team has the yips, they're leading the league in hits and batting something like .090 RISP. I mean, you take out the first inning meltdown yesterday by a guy who should be starting AAA games or storming the capitol and it's close, but that's been the way of it all year. Either the other team jumps on the not-ready-for-the-bigs starter and the offense starts pressing too hard, or we get a 2 or 3 run lead only to immediately surrender it to whichever of our vaunted three-headed monster comes in. 6 blown saves, 0-6 in 1 run games. Haven't won one in extras since last season. Early last season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

are we talking about bad extensions?

Chris Taylor since signing his 4 year $60M deal with the Dodgers in the winter of '21: .220/.308/.377, an 88 OPS+ and 34.3% strikeout rate

I wanted him so bad.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Hard to really pinpoint one thing that caused all of this but yeah, they’re beyond embarrassing. Pitiful performances from the players who are supposed to be your stars, underwhelming performances from most of your young up and comers, terrible vibes from Marmol, “we know best” vibes from a front office that has made a habit of parting ways with guys who end up way better once they get out of the organization, and an owner who doesn’t want to spend (to be fair this part describes like 24 of the owners in MLB). The teams attendance has absolutely cratered, it’s shocking how empty the stadium is.

Talent evaluation and/or development has become nonexistent. How many top 100/top 50 prospects have struggled to do anything meaningful in the bigs? They just sent Jordan Walker back to AAA for christ sake

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Jesus Christ. What are they just gonna trot out loving burleson or something?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

His neck tattoo is actually an ancient rune of great power

You mean to say all we needed this entire time was a shirtless undead dude wielding two bricks attached to sticks?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mike_V posted:

Talent evaluation and/or development has become nonexistent. How many top 100/top 50 prospects have struggled to do anything meaningful in the bigs? They just sent Jordan Walker back to AAA for christ sake

https://x.com/RotoClegg/status/1782865109213179946

Do the Cardinals just not have an analytics department or

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Cardinals will be the White Sox of the NL if they don't right this ship soon

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bregor posted:

https://x.com/RotoClegg/status/1782865109213179946

Do the Cardinals just not have an analytics department or

Some other smart baseball folks have pointed out that Walker hasn't pulled a fly ball a single time this year. He'll need to figure out how to add SLG to the other improvements, although honestly they might wanna just let him do that at the MLB level at this point since STL isn't really going anywhere this year by the looks of it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I am very appreciative that as of right now the Detroit Tigers look like a bang average MLB team

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Some other smart baseball folks have pointed out that Walker hasn't pulled a fly ball a single time this year. He'll need to figure out how to add SLG to the other improvements, although honestly they might wanna just let him do that at the MLB level at this point since STL isn't really going anywhere this year by the looks of it.

I think last season they sent him to Memphis asking him to lift and pull more, and he was poo poo against AAA pitching too. Then they were like "nope never mind, turns out your approach that made you a top ten prospect in baseball was actually okay" and then he started hitting again.

So maybe they don't have analytics OR hitting coaches worth a drat?

Poque posted:

the Cardinals will be the White Sox of the NL if they don't right this ship soon

:yeshaha:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean there is something to the idea of letting a kid go back down to the minors for a bit where he can mash and rebuild some confidence, but yeah my understanding is it's not like there's anybody banging on the door to replace Walker and the Cardinals aren't currently looking like they're in some incredible tight race, probably better to just play him every day and let him figure it out vs MLB pitching. 114 OPS+ last year for him too so it's also likely he just needs to adjust now that the book is out on him and that's not something that's gonna happen at AAA.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1783178256902205709

Ah, yes. Well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e;f,b

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The team is definitely still pretending they can win the division. So I don’t know if they think this makes the team better for right now or what. But anybody who believes anything that mozeliak or Marmol say out loud is fooling themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sometimes I think about how the entire AL West is currently doing worse than the Detroit Tigers.