Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If this dude is even half this good when he makes it to the majors it's gonna loving rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not enough Absolute Units on major league mounds these days

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I think we can all agree that baseball really needs a Tugboat Wilkinson

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

elentar posted:

:hmmyes:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

elentar posted:

Sounds like a guy who played for the Akron Groomsmen

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Ruben Quevedo??

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'll never get tired of the crack sound as a ball launches out of the field.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
gently caress yes Hefty Lefties 4 LYFE.

e: Hoping Former Mets Prospect Pete Crow-Armstrong has a less rocky road to success than Former Mets Prospect Jarred Kelenic. Ofc, if he does end up following the Kelenic path he'll end up making an all star team with the loving Braves in 2028.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 26, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mike_V posted:

It's down and rightfully so. People shouldn't be supporting this directionless team with an owner who refuses to spend at a level the club should be spending at

Angels "fan" quoting this for agreement. If the team doesn't give a poo poo what fans want, why should we want to support them?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kelenic might have the most smoke and mirrors start in the league. Bad power, high Ks, like a 500 babip.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Luke Little is an absolute unit with the added bonus of having the surname "Little"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

All this time Jon Bois was worried about Bobs while the lack of Tugboats in baseball went on right under his nose.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins now have a 3rd starting pitcher getting put on the IL due to 'elbow discomfort'

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Maybe all the 'gonna try rehab first' IL stints are because there's a 6 month wait list for Tommy John Surgery at this point

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Please be an elbow ligament donor, it can save a pitcher's life

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Dr. Keith is going to need a TJ himself after all this overuse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
in a rare crossover of my remaining forum interests, Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball is on this year's SGDQ games list, category: Win A Game

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

To this day I cannot hear the national anthem at a baseball game without hearing the five-beat drum intro to the KGJPMLB music in my head

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Espada probably thought he was walking into a pretty sweet coaching gig

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins now have a 3rd starting pitcher getting put on the IL due to 'elbow discomfort'

the sport is sick and there's no cure

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the hooting masses are like "Fire Espada" but I don't think he's the reason our entire starting rotation is on the IL or why Abreu can't hit or why Crane spent big on a third closer and none on middle relief (even though that middle relief turned out to be the most reliable part of our pen). The whole team is loving snakebit right now.

Thanks Jeff

Ah welp.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 26, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Luke Little is an absolute unit with the added bonus of having the surname "Little"

I dunno, he's only listed at weighing 220lbs. Plenty of room for added beef.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Holliday was horribly overmatched in the Show and has the .170 OPS to prove it. Try 'er again in a year.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Holliday was horribly overmatched in the Show and has the .170 OPS to prove it. Try 'er again in a year.

If he hits at AAA he'll be up again before the All Star Break.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s also only 20 still. He was a 2022 draft pick. I get that he destroyed the minors but they need to slow down on some guys.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A guy like Holliday is harmed by the fact Bench Player isn't a role anymore, if you're a position player and you're on the roster you've gotta play. He probably should have been left in the minors longer to begin with, but if you're going to bring a 20 year old to the majors, much better to have him mostly on the bench, get some innings late in not-close games, start maybe 2-3 times a week against weaker teams/starters and get pinch hit for against better relievers, that kind of plan. But that's not a thing you can really do effectively when you're a contending team carrying 13 pitchers on a 26 man roster. (And also in the modern environment where a team would worry about wasting precious Service Time)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1783905657755705556

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

Angels "fan" quoting this for agreement. If the team doesn't give a poo poo what fans want, why should we want to support them?
The “fun” part about this is that Selig and Manfred have successfully decoupled short term profitability from fan attendance, as has been the goal for decades. It has never been less impactful for fans to not show up.

Of course in the long run they’re destroying their brands and the sport at large but, well, :capitalism:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I could see Holliday making a return but for now yeah I think that's the right call. He was struggling.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Eric the Mauve posted:

A guy like Holliday is harmed by the fact Bench Player isn't a role anymore, if you're a position player and you're on the roster you've gotta play. He probably should have been left in the minors longer to begin with, but if you're going to bring a 20 year old to the majors, much better to have him mostly on the bench, get some innings late in not-close games, start maybe 2-3 times a week against weaker teams/starters and get pinch hit for against better relievers, that kind of plan. But that's not a thing you can really do effectively when you're a contending team carrying 13 pitchers on a 26 man roster.

I agree with this. I also think beat writers, and to a lesser extent fans themselves, are more plugged into prospect rankings and development than they were maybe 10 years ago. There is so much focus on a prospect playing every day that to bring up a guy like Holliday and only start him once or twice a week would be a huge distraction for a team. St Louis basically just did this with Jordan Walker (again).

Also I think fans are spoiled by guys like Acuña, JRod, Soto, etc coming up and immediately mashing. Baltimore even had their own version of that with Gunnar, even though his April/May last year was rough they got a 4+ win player at age 22 and he's off to a really great start this year.

As for Holliday, I don't blame them for calling him up when they did, and I don't blame them for sending him down either. I doubt there's any real evidence of an early promotion harming a player's long-term production, so why not see if the kid can hit the ground running?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

Thanks Jeff

I'm glad he didn't figure this out til after our series wrapped up

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Too bad they didn’t call up Connor Norby (RH 2B in his third year in AAA) instead of bringing back McKenna

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Look I wanted to stay the course with Holliday and let him adjust while batting 9th in the lineup but whatever

But Ryan McKenna for loving real?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

going from active playoff roster to cut bait for the worst team in baseball gotta be tough

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

elentar posted:

going from active playoff roster to cut bait for the worst team in baseball gotta be tough

No, Jose Abreu is still on the Astros main roster

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

duomo posted:

Too bad they didn’t call up Connor Norby (RH 2B in his third year in AAA) instead of bringing back McKenna

This is pretty much where I'm at, sending Holliday back down is totally defensible, bring up loving Ryan McKenna instead of Connor Norby or Coby Mayo is not.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs and White Sox forever trading lousy players and busted rear end prospects.
https://x.com/JRFegan/status/1783947892471808261

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Tommy Pham is going to slap that clubhouse into shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Did Holliday only get something like 34 ABs? I feel like you should give him a longer look than that if you're winning games and his defense is plus stuff.

Also, Trout didn't make it on his first trip up. I bet Holliday will be back before we know it.