Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
...Waldo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Cloacamazing! posted:

By the way, as of today, weed is legal in Germany.

Oh gently caress yeah

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm a little surprised people are publicly declaring their fishing activities in the thread, I don't see any indication that that's required right now.

My intention was to try and minimize overlap, so we can collectively get a better sense of which fish (and thus, which powers) are where over time. And somewhat maximize the likelihood of everyone having a useful thing to do today.

I'm assuming the 50-80% is "per fishing attempt" and so spending an action moving to another spot seems like a bit of a waste.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Cloacamazing! posted:

Currently I'm a fisher of dogs, at least until the guy learns that when I call his name, he should come here even if there's something mildly interesting to sniff where he's currently standing. So we're reeling him in a lot when other people pass by.

Lucky you. I'm a herder of cats, which means I'm very lucky if one of them gives me a meow when she's doing something she shouldn't (she won't stop, but she will acknowledge me telling her to stop). The other just looks at me with disdain at best, comes around to fight me at worst.

I like cats, but I sometimes miss having a pet that can actually be educated.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

... may be. There isn't anything as to what color the shirts are I think. I was picturing blue, but gently caress knows.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Shellception posted:

I mean... why not?

I did get an "affinity" which afaict is completely random, which tells me some spots are more prone to yielding a particular fish. Assuming I was interested on that particular fish, I'd still have to hit 'em spots, and manage to get the biggest fish for it to even count. Unless affinities somehow repeat over players (and I don't really have a reason to think they would, like, mine is kinda specific, why wouldn't the others be?) I can't see anyone deducing why I'd pick, say, Spots C, F and A.

I get the feeling everybody probably got one of those and that scum could hypothetically guess at what their deal is by following their declared lead if the player was telling the truth in thread about what they did and always shot for min/maxing whatever they could. It wouldn't be hard to mess with that, but it's something I'd expect a scumteam to try and divine anyway to maybe get extra info.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
We're currently at the "He knows perfectly well that he's not allowed in the kitchen, but also there's food in there, so clearly it's worth pretending he doesn't know" stage.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CubicalSucrose posted:

My intention was to try and minimize overlap, so we can collectively get a better sense of which fish (and thus, which powers) are where over time. And somewhat maximize the likelihood of everyone having a useful thing to do today.

I'm assuming the 50-80% is "per fishing attempt" and so spending an action moving to another spot seems like a bit of a waste.

Bit of a note: mod did tell me (I assume he did tell you too when you told him you were going to stick by one place) to submit actions one by one, or at least batch by batch, and not all at once. I'm not sure why that matters, but it's probably so you can move around to a better spot if you get a fish you actually want?

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Confirmed, they don't need to be publicly shared to count. Probably not gonna make a difference rn so no worries but lol.

Oh I assumed it was a public action

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CubicalSucrose posted:

Sensible enough. I like the idea of spreading out players between the spots, and I agree that moving from a chosen starting point sucks.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I get the feeling everybody probably got one of those and that scum could hypothetically guess at what their deal is by following their declared lead if the player was telling the truth in thread about what they did and always shot for min/maxing whatever they could. It wouldn't be hard to mess with that, but it's something I'd expect a scumteam to try and divine anyway to maybe get extra info.

I assume everyone did get one of those, yeah. But I also think there's going to be little overlap between them, and therefore guessing if someone fished at C because they got a lead there's higher chance of some fish they want, or because there is little chance of getting a fish they do not want, or because their name starts with C is kind of chasing shadows.

Don't get me wrong, I do get the "scum could piece together..." angle, but, really, if they do, they deserve a medal.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Sensible enough. I like the idea of spreading out players between the spots, and I agree that moving from a chosen starting point sucks.

TBF, if we actually wanted to spread people around, we'd all need to claim where we are actually fishing, even if not why. And scum can perfectly lie there and try to gently caress up with town efforts. I really don't think it's worth it.

An even distribution (13 players on 6 spots is 2 per spot) probably means we're goong to maximize fish spread and therefore will be less likely to compete with each other re:biggest fish, before the random component comes into action at least. But unless I am wrong, it also ensures scum has the highest chance of sniping out powers from town.

I may be mistaken. I may also not be fully sober. Apologies for the latter, never for the former. But I still don't think thread organization for fishing spots is a good idea.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Shellception posted:

I assume everyone did get one of those, yeah. But I also think there's going to be little overlap between them, and therefore guessing if someone fished at C because they got a lead there's higher chance of some fish they want, or because there is little chance of getting a fish they do not want, or because their name starts with C is kind of chasing shadows.

Don't get me wrong, I do get the "scum could piece together..." angle, but, really, if they do, they deserve a medal.

:shrug: Divining a good affinity could make a lot of difference either for ensuring heavy competition for a particularly valuable pick or for prioritizing kills. But you're right that it would be hard and what's even more true is that anybody who thinks they may have something that would be easier to put together if they always followed their affinity can simply not do that consistently and throw people off.

Today I'm fishing spot F 6 times.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i attempted to fish by issuing the # # fish command in my confessional hopefully that's how you fish

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Shellception posted:

I briefly wanted to fish on spots A, B, B, A, but it kind of seemed like a waste of a spot.

Btw, before anyone tries to read too much about this particular claim: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052418&pagenumber=43&perpage=40. Last game I comodded. And also I kinda miss playing with wol, but it seems like our schledules didn't match this time.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Shellception posted:

TBF, if we actually wanted to spread people around, we'd all need to claim where we are actually fishing, even if not why. And scum can perfectly lie there and try to gently caress up with town efforts. I really don't think it's worth it.

An even distribution (13 players on 6 spots is 2 per spot) probably means we're goong to maximize fish spread and therefore will be less likely to compete with each other re:biggest fish, before the random component comes into action at least. But unless I am wrong, it also ensures scum has the highest chance of sniping out powers from town.

I may be mistaken. I may also not be fully sober. Apologies for the latter, never for the former. But I still don't think thread organization for fishing spots is a good idea.

At this point we don't know what fishing spot distribution of fish is like. Scum may be able to guarantee they win something, but outside having an affinity that's useful for it and claiming the spot right away, they can't for example definitely keep a doctor out of town hands.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

:shrug: Divining a good affinity could make a lot of difference either for ensuring heavy competition for a particularly valuable pick or for prioritizing kills. But you're right that it would be hard and what's even more true is that anybody who thinks they may have something that would be easier to put together if they always followed their affinity can simply not do that consistently and throw people off.

Today I'm fishing spot F 6 times.

Here's a freebie that might explain why I'm iffy (in a logic sense - I actually kinda like what I'm hearing from a Mafia deductiion sense, and I'd like it to continue, more words are more gooder) about this particular line of thought:

I don't like my affinity and I don't think I can be trusted to use it well, so I'm more likely to invert the pattern you're looking for, than to follow it. I assume some others are the same too. So it's way more complex than just assuming everyone wants to go to a particular spot.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm a bit ambivalent on being extremely organized or not on fishing spots, but given that spots according to the OP do have different fish distributions, spreading people out so there's more chance there's at least one winner for every type of fish makes a lot of intuitive sense at least. More town than scum to start and this maximizes that advantage.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Y’all going off about setup spec can ya just loop me in when it’s necessary? Feels like y’all one step away from using algebra here

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm a bit ambivalent on being extremely organized or not on fishing spots, but given that spots according to the OP do have different fish distributions, spreading people out so there's more chance there's at least one winner for every type of fish makes a lot of intuitive sense at least. More town than scum to start and this maximizes that advantage.

True. But, assume (which isn't true to begin with!) a perfect distribution of every maximum probability role for every space, and no one getting a minor option, pr reañly anything better than their favoured catch - we're looking at a 50:50 coin toss for bigger fish between town and scum on their space, except for the single spot with 3 people, I guess.

Whereas you can also argue that getting fewer roles, but keeping them out of scum's hands (or what's clearer - making scum waste time and effort by fishing at spots fully covered by town players) is a better play for town.

And that's before all the randomness and present bribing comes into place, too.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

Y’all going off about setup spec can ya just loop me in when it’s necessary? Feels like y’all one step away from using algebra here

Tl;dr (of my position): do your worst, be free, fish whenever you want, sky's the limit. You rule! Even if you were born on February!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Also tbf I just wanna try to understand the logic of the like... two players that will actually care about this, because knowing where this idea is coming from might mean two less players to worry about later. Or at least one. Hopefully. I fully expect everyone else to not give a poo poo, tbh.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Can somebody explain to me how to fish? The OP really does not say

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Shellception posted:

True. But, assume (which isn't true to begin with!) a perfect distribution of every maximum probability role for every space, and no one getting a minor option, pr reañly anything better than their favoured catch - we're looking at a 50:50 coin toss for bigger fish between town and scum on their space, except for the single spot with 3 people, I guess.

Whereas you can also argue that getting fewer roles, but keeping them out of scum's hands (or what's clearer - making scum waste time and effort by fishing at spots fully covered by town players) is a better play for town.

And that's before all the randomness and present bribing comes into place, too.

Thing is, as long as you fish in the same spot the whole day, you have an EV of at least 3 fish under the worst conditions and 4.8 if you're fishing under the best conditions. The chances of catching nothing in a 50% spot in 6 tries is about 1.6%, pretty small. WRT to prioritizing fewer roles, that only makes sense if we somehow know f.ex. where the best spot is for getting the King, or goldfish, or salmon etc. If we prioritized two or three of six spots just because without that kind of info, we might end up with a lot of whitefish and zander with maybe no shot at getting salmon/roach/pike/etc. which is just playing ourselves.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Do I just submit the action in plain speech to the mod?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Johnny Keats posted:

Can somebody explain to me how to fish? The OP really does not say

I mean, I made a thread in my confessional and said in bold I would start in spot F and fish 6 times for D1. Seemed to work as far as I could tell. :shrug:

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Shellception posted:

Also tbf I just wanna try to understand the logic of the like... two players that will actually care about this, because knowing where this idea is coming from might mean two less players to worry about later. Or at least one. Hopefully. I fully expect everyone else to not give a poo poo, tbh.

"Everyone picked to fish in A and B" seems like a bad outcome that is pretty plausible if no one spoke up at all. I wanted to avoid that.

If a bunch (3+ maybe) of other people pick my spot after I called it, I will look on them with some incremental degree of suspicion.

If someone claims to pick spot X today and then claims a role associated with Fish Y, and someone bribed a local and found out that spot X doesn't have fish Y at all, then that would be really good.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Thing is, as long as you fish in the same spot the whole day, you have an EV of at least 3 fish under the worst conditions and 4.8 if you're fishing under the best conditions. The chances of catching nothing in a 50% spot in 6 tries is about 1.6%, pretty small. WRT to prioritizing fewer roles, that only makes sense if we somehow know f.ex. where the best spot is for getting the King, or goldfish, or salmon etc. If we prioritized two or three of six spots just because without that kind of info, we might end up with a lot of whitefish and zander with maybe no shot at getting salmon/roach/pike/etc. which is just playing ourselves.

You're looking at this backwards - that is, by assuming we know where the best spots are and are organizing ourselves to not step on each others' toes. We do not. We only know a tiny tidbit of info, and any other info we put out, we're putting it out for scum to plain against. Even if we do priorize, we have zero guarantees people will just get a perfect catch of the highest chance fish - like, for me, the spot with a highest chance is well under 50%. And we're trading that chance with telling scum where everyone is going to be, and giving them the possibility of just using their own info to go wherever they might want, which they can do, but they'll screw towns' organization in the process, and I guarantee you they're not gonna tell us.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Shellception posted:

You're looking at this backwards - that is, by assuming we know where the best spots are and are organizing ourselves to not step on each others' toes. We do not. We only know a tiny tidbit of info, and any other info we put out, we're putting it out for scum to plain against. Even if we do priorize, we have zero guarantees people will just get a perfect catch of the highest chance fish - like, for me, the spot with a highest chance is well under 50%. And we're trading that chance with telling scum where everyone is going to be, and giving them the possibility of just using their own info to go wherever they might want, which they can do, but they'll screw towns' organization in the process, and I guarantee you they're not gonna tell us.

You seem to know a whole lot more about your fishing stuff I know about mine. Way more.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Submitting game actions in plain speech hurts my processing unit

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Where are you guys calculating your chances of fishing success?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CubicalSucrose posted:

"Everyone picked to fish in A and B" seems like a bad outcome that is pretty plausible if no one spoke up at all. I wanted to avoid that.

If a bunch (3+ maybe) of other people pick my spot after I called it, I will look on them with some incremental degree of suspicion.

If someone claims to pick spot X today and then claims a role associated with Fish Y, and someone bribed a local and found out that spot X doesn't have fish Y at all, then that would be really good.

First - why assume people, namely scums mostly, who have a reason to lie to you, are just going to be "oh yeah I sniped Cube's spot, what a fun time" instead of claiming they just got the fish from whenever else? What's stopping them?

Second - yeah, that'd be good, of course it'd be. That would also require a) someone outright lying about what spot net them a fish, b) someone bribing a local to randomly guess that on this particular spot, out of 6, there is a random zero chance of this fish being there, and c) people truthfully claiming their night action to begin with.

And that doesn't factor in that scum has a pool of info as big as the number of scum players to begin with, so they can just claim something that's plausible instead of impossible, why not?

I'm rather sure the chances of that happening are way, way lower to actually matter at all, tbh.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CubicalSucrose posted:

You seem to know a whole lot more about your fishing stuff I know about mine. Way more.

Eh? This poo poo is in the OP.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

quote:

Fishing mechanics

Each fishing spot has a separate chance of catching a fish ranging from 50 to 80%, this changes each day. Each fishing spot also has a table of odds to determine what species of fish is caught. These generally stay the same between days, some species may be exception to this and/or some effects may increase or decrease your chances of catching specific species.

I'm going off this (which Meen also mentioned) plus my particular affinity being "this fish has X catch rate at Y spot". You're free to box at shadows if you want, but lol at thinking that particular leap of logic needs extra info.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Shellception posted:

Eh? This poo poo is in the OP.

Shellception posted:

like, for me, the spot with a highest chance is well under 50%

I know nothing like this.

##vote Shell

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CubicalSucrose posted:

##vote Shell

Do you think that’s into scum are likely to be privileged by vs that being a Shell role thing

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CubicalSucrose posted:

##vote Shell

That's your problem, not mine. I'm not buying that you didn't get an affinity.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Idk what you mean by affinity Shell

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Johnny Keats posted:

Idk what you mean by affinity Shell

My role has an affinity (for stripped shirts, lol). What it actually does is telling me a fish X's percentage chance of appearing (I assume over a succesful catch) over spots A to F. I'm kind of assuming everyone got this thing, because if not, lol, I have a todbit of mostly useless info!

...which I don't believe is true, btw. It's too much of a low power to restrict it to just some players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Shellception posted:

My role has an affinity (for stripped shirts, lol). What it actually does is telling me a fish X's percentage chance of appearing (I assume over a succesful catch) over spots A to F. I'm kind of assuming everyone got this thing, because if not, lol, I have a todbit of mostly useless info!

...which I don't believe is true, btw. It's too much of a low power to restrict it to just some players.

##unvote

Without saying which fish it is, can you catch that fish at every spot?