Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

because they think a million people are going to show up to look at the eclipse

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7159987

who are these people driving places to look at an eclipse?

do you agree with the decision? If this backfires diodati will be on the hot seat. I suppose time will tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I didnt know your mom getting on a plane was such an event op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sex Farm posted:

do you agree with the decision? If this backfires diodati will be on the hot seat. I suppose time will tell

whoa, thought your were from Baltimore for a minute

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Sex Farm posted:

I'm flying across the country to look at an eclipse.

If you ever see a total eclipse in person, you'll understand.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

biznatchio posted:

I'm flying across the country to look at an eclipse.

going to Texas?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

biznatchio posted:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

going to Texas?

Yeah. Made all the plans a year ago. The weather at my chosen location is looking like a coin flip at this point, but there's still some hope and I can always go somewhere else if necessary.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

this is like 4 times in my lifetime that it's a partial. I just want to stare at the sun without weird glasses!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

biznatchio posted:

Yeah. Made all the plans a year ago. The weather at my chosen location is looking like a coin flip at this point, but there's still some hope and I can always go somewhere else if necessary.

Hope it goes well! Should be awesome!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Just close your eyes

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Cedar Point is opening months early with like 4 rides and charging more than $100 to get in because it's in the path of totality

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There has to be dozens of different types of eclipses, because every time there is one, it's always reported as being a once in a lifetime event and there won't be another eclipse like this for 184 years. Despite making no effort to go see one, I've seen at least 5 in my life so far.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Buy a gun and defend yourself

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Against the eclipse to be clear

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

N. Senada posted:

An eclipse, by definition, is awfully dark. I'm sure the cops will take care of it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

counterfeitsaint posted:

There has to be dozens of different types of eclipses, because every time there is one, it's always reported as being a once in a lifetime event and there won't be another eclipse like this for 184 years. Despite making no effort to go see one, I've seen at least 5 in my life so far.

For reference, this is what a 99% eclipse looks like. If you've seen 5 in your life so far, you've seen eclipses like this (or with less coverage):

They're alright, I guess. I'm probably a little more of an astronomy nerd than most, and even I probably wouldn't look up to behold one unless I had some other good reason to look upwards already. Kind of a yawnfest.

----

This -- which is what's happening on April 8th -- is what a total eclipse looks like (and the pictures don't do it justice, the dynamic range in the lighting is far greater than your screen can portray). Imagine a perfectly black dot where the sun used to be, and swirls and streaks that look like someone just smeared the sun across the sky:

(Earthshine -- the reflection of light off the Earth onto the dark side of the moon -- is visible in the second image because it's an HDR composite; but you don't see that with the naked eye, you just see a purely black dot.)

Unless you've travelled extensively, you've not seen 5 of these in your lifetime; and very likely have never seen one. They're not terribly rare events on a global scale (they happen roughly every 18 months); but they are extremely rare events at any reasonable distance from any one place on the globe. The next one visible in the United States is in 2044.

A total eclipse is, without anything else even coming close, the most extraordinary thing that can be seen in the sky ever. It is truely awesome in the original sense of the word. People will fly all over the world to see them. Me? I'll just fly across the country. I'm crazy but not that crazy.

----

And for completeness sake, this is an annular eclipse. They're also very rare, but they're not really more visually impressive than a 99% eclipse is. They just look like the normal sun with a hole cut out of the middle that's not completely black because the sun is still shining lots of glare:

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 31, 2024

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I just saw five eclipses in the above post, why bother seeing another one

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
good stay home, more eclipse for me

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Fun eclipse fact:

The earliest historical event for which we know the exact date is the Battle of Halys, which occurred on the 28th of May, 585 BC. We know the exact date because the Battle of Halys was a battle between two armies that came to stop when the sun was blotted out in a total eclipse and we can calculate the date an eclipse fell over the area where they were fighting. People stopped stabbing each other and looked with awe and horror up at the sky, at what they believed was an omen from the gods that what they were doing was very much frowned upon.

The belligerent parties, the Medes and the Lydians, who had been at war with each other for 6 years, immediately negotiated a peace treaty lest the gods take the sun away from them again.

They certainly wouldn't have done that for no pussy-rear end partial eclipse.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'm driving a little bit south from st.louis to watch the totality. It passed right through St Louis in 2017 And was awesome.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

N. Senada posted:

Enough dopey dipshits seem to think that this is the Apocalypse that you might want to strap up anyway.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
brave to admit being from niagara falls. these people will probably be concentrated entirely in clifton hill though so i wouldn't worry

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

biznatchio posted:

Fun eclipse fact:

The earliest historical event for which we know the exact date is the Battle of Halys, which occurred on the 28th of May, 585 BC. We know the exact date because the Battle of Halys was a battle between two armies that came to stop when the sun was blotted out in a total eclipse and we can calculate the date an eclipse fell over the area where they were fighting. People stopped stabbing each other and looked with awe and horror up at the sky, at what they believed was an omen from the gods that what they were doing was very much frowned upon.

The belligerent parties, the Medes and the Lydians, who had been at war with each other for 6 years, immediately negotiated a peace treaty lest the gods take the sun away from them again.

lol imagine being one of the dudes who fought and died like 2 days earlier..

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

biznatchio posted:

Fun eclipse fact:

unless it's a completely made up story, because the only evidence for any of this is Herodotus, who was an incorrigible liar

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sex Farm posted:

"Emergency" is the the wrong way to phrase it, since it's not an emergency in the sense everyone knows this was going to happen for many many years. Some places have been planning for years. And yes, if you are in the center of the path, and are a good destination - like Niagra Falls - you're gonna get a LOT of people arriving. And so, you have to deal with traffic, parking, restrooms, etc. You've got to probably call in all police and public sector workers, etc.

It's a big planning deal. It's not an "emergency" though.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Yes, this definitely doesn’t have anything to do with America trying to take over the Niagara Falls in totality. We’re just there to watch the eclipse.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm driving to Missouri and it looks like it's gonna rain the entire day. Hopefully that changes. The logistics of a total eclipse even being possible are mind blowing enough.

The size of the moon relative to the distance from the sun and earth has to be insanely and absurdly precise. The distance between the sun and moon is so precise that when aligned properly, the moon perfectly covers the entirety of the sun. The eclipse is the moon's shadow being cast onto earth. Like the chances of this even being possible are infinitely small.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

I'm driving to Missouri and it looks like it's gonna rain the entire day. Hopefully that changes. The logistics of a total eclipse even being possible are mind blowing enough.

The size of the moon relative to the distance from the sun and earth has to be insanely and absurdly precise. The distance between the sun and moon is so precise that when aligned properly, the moon perfectly covers the entirety of the sun. The eclipse is the moon's shadow being cast onto earth. Like the chances of this even being possible are infinitely small.

And it's only for a relatively brief time period as well. The Moon is moving ever further away from Earth, such that there will come a time a million years from now or so, and then forever after, where there will be no more full solar eclipses on Earth.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

biznatchio posted:

And for completeness sake, this is an annular eclipse. They're also very rare, but they're not really more visually impressive than a 99% eclipse is. They just look like the normal sun with a hole cut out of the middle that's not completely black because the sun is still shining lots of glare:

No ring, rated 1

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

foamy peeclipse

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

biznatchio posted:

For reference, this is what a 99% eclipse looks like. If you've seen 5 in your life so far, you've seen eclipses like this (or with less coverage):

They're alright, I guess. I'm probably a little more of an astronomy nerd than most, and even I probably wouldn't look up to behold one unless I had some other good reason to look upwards already. Kind of a yawnfest.

----

This -- which is what's happening on April 8th -- is what a total eclipse looks like (and the pictures don't do it justice, the dynamic range in the lighting is far greater than your screen can portray). Imagine a perfectly black dot where the sun used to be, and swirls and streaks that look like someone just smeared the sun across the sky:

(Earthshine -- the reflection of light off the Earth onto the dark side of the moon -- is visible in the second image because it's an HDR composite; but you don't see that with the naked eye, you just see a purely black dot.)

Unless you've travelled extensively, you've not seen 5 of these in your lifetime; and very likely have never seen one. They're not terribly rare events on a global scale (they happen roughly every 18 months); but they are extremely rare events at any reasonable distance from any one place on the globe. The next one visible in the United States is in 2044.

A total eclipse is, without anything else even coming close, the most extraordinary thing that can be seen in the sky ever. It is truely awesome in the original sense of the word. People will fly all over the world to see them. Me? I'll just fly across the country. I'm crazy but not that crazy.

----

Yeah I was in Oregon for the 2017 eclipse and this post is accurate.

98% and 99% are neat and all, but 100% is like an IRL special effect from a movie, or something from a video game that has magic spells.

Also even though my 2017 viewing location was in the middle of the loving August desert, it was tens of degrees cooler than normal when we were close to totality. Very eerie

Delta-P
Jan 1, 2020

My plan currently is to find some small town within a 6 hour drive that has a good weather forecast, then seek out the local public library to find an official place to watch it happen.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sex Farm posted:

What up Niagara falls bro!?!
Chippawa for lyfe!

This is also pretty lovely too:
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/families-shocked-after-niagara-falls-hotel-cancels-bookings-made-year-in-advance-of-solar-eclipse-1.6823186

Family makes hotel reservations a year in advance for the eclipse and they get cancelled

quote:

Wilson's family booked three rooms at the Wyndham Garden Niagara Falls Fallsview, on the Ontario side of the falls, last April for $100 per night. She'd planned to take in the April 8 celestial show as part of a birthday celebration for her kids and nephew.

quote:

Since being deemed one of the best places in the world to watch the upcoming solar eclipse, Niagara Falls has seen hotel prices skyrocket. The limited rooms still available are now priced around $1,000 per night, with some as high as $3,000.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
lol there was a report of people who booked their hotel rooms last year for $100 a night. Well the hotels suddenly had guests "extend their stay" for $500 a night.

Niagara falls is terrible. The locals (sorry OP) are way into InfoWars and Jesus and they elect the dumbest people to office. Since the pandemic all the hotels and restaurants are added a tax to each bill to make up for last revenue.

Niagara On the Lake us beautiful but has one of those downtowns where shops sell a small jar of jelly for $7.95. The wine tours aren't bad but you almost always end up with drunk Americans on the bus just being annoying.

I thought maybe being at the Falls during an eclipse might be a superstitious thing or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bonzo posted:

lol there was a report of people who booked their hotel rooms last year for $100 a night. Well the hotels suddenly had guests "extend their stay" for $500 a night.

Niagara falls is terrible. The locals (sorry OP) are way into InfoWars and Jesus and they elect the dumbest people to office. Since the pandemic all the hotels and restaurants are added a tax to each bill to make up for last revenue.

The locals aren't any more in to info wars or jesus any more than anywhere else. They do elect stupid people to office, the "tourist tax" sorry, the "DESTINATION MARKETING FEE" has been around for like 20 years. You don't have to pay it even though the restaurant managers etc say you have to. If they don't remove it, then just figure out your bill without it and pay cash (if you have it) or if you know how to use an interac machine, re-key in the amount (its not that hard on many of them) sans tourism tax. The cops are too lazy to do poo poo about it, especially since you're not legally obligated to pay it anyway.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Before the 2017 eclipse, a shitton of people had booked rental cars well in advance at airports like Portland, OR. Then at the very last minute, at least one company said "sorry, we don't actually have a car for you"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Before the 2017 eclipse, a shitton of people had booked rental cars well in advance at airports like Portland, OR. Then at the very last minute, at least one company said "sorry, we don't actually have a car for you"

I booked a rental, but I am not counting on it for this reason too.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m gonna watch the eclipse in my backyard. If weirdos want to join me that’s fine too I guess.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’m gonna watch the eclipse in my backyard. If weirdos want to join me that’s fine too I guess.

I'm going to Indianapolis. Is that your backyard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Klyith posted:

unless it's a completely made up story, because the only evidence for any of this is Herodotus, who was an incorrigible liar

No he wasnt