Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i saw one of these in starfield last year, it wasn’t that great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I really don’t need the bad luck right now so I won’t be observing this event

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The gold digging ants are real

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’m gonna watch the eclipse in my backyard. If weirdos want to join me that’s fine too I guess.

Not the most flattering way to refer to your family, but i get it

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you guys realize that a solar eclipse happens every single night right? like what do you think a sunset is? it's when you enter the earth's shadow. buncha dorks getting excited over the most mundane poo poo, it's pathetic.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

you guys realize that a solar eclipse happens every single night right? like what do you think a sunset is? it's when you enter the earth's shadow. buncha dorks getting excited over the most mundane poo poo, it's pathetic.

get their asses

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

bar88537 posted:

I'm going to Indianapolis. Is that your backyard?

Yes.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i was lucky enough to see really defined shadow bands in the last eclipse i saw (2017). it was cool. as. poo poo.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We're apparently getting 500,000 people (4x the population) and I haven't seen that anyone has done any planning for logistics. Also several bridges are under construction.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
all of the places i've lived have been in eclipse paths during my lifetime, but not at the same time as i have lived there. the city in texas that i escaped to go back to new england is in the path of totality this time, and i'm three or four hours south, but i'm still planning to drive north and just find some little village that has a parking space on the side of the road or something. they're saying the thruway is going to be backed up so i guess we'll see if i make it or not

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

wave of clout chasers washing over towns like

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
How'd the moon get there? You can't explain that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
people called me a fool when i put ten thousand down in vegas that the eclipse won't happen at all but we'll see who has the last laugh

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mozi posted:

people called me a fool when i put ten thousand down in vegas that the eclipse won't happen at all but we'll see who has the last laugh

Whatcha gonna do with all that money Mozi

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

wesleywillis posted:

What up Niagara falls bro!?!
Chippawa for lyfe!

This is also pretty lovely too:
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/families-shocked-after-niagara-falls-hotel-cancels-bookings-made-year-in-advance-of-solar-eclipse-1.6823186

Family makes hotel reservations a year in advance for the eclipse and they get cancelled

Hell yeah Chippawa rules. Can't count the number of times I got drunk in that gazebo as a teenager. Is "hometown of James Cameron"
still on the sign?

And that's typical Niagara falls poo poo though, my sister worked front desk at a big hotel there and they would make her literally lie to people's faces and tell them "no you booked one twin bed on the website" because the hotel just sold their room to someone else for more money. Doesn't matter if it's a family of 5+, you will get whatever room they have left

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

redshirt posted:

"Emergency" is the the wrong way to phrase it, since it's not an emergency in the sense everyone knows this was going to happen for many many years. Some places have been planning for years. And yes, if you are in the center of the path, and are a good destination - like Niagra Falls - you're gonna get a LOT of people arriving. And so, you have to deal with traffic, parking, restrooms, etc. You've got to probably call in all police and public sector workers, etc.

It's a big planning deal. It's not an "emergency" though.

it'll still be interesting to see how diodati handles this IMO

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

Whatcha gonna do with all that money Mozi

probably buy a racehorse

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sex Farm posted:

Hell yeah Chippawa rules. Can't count the number of times I got drunk in that gazebo as a teenager. Is "hometown of James Cameron"
still on the sign?

And that's typical Niagara falls poo poo though, my sister worked front desk at a big hotel there and they would make her literally lie to people's faces and tell them "no you booked one twin bed on the website" because the hotel just sold their room to someone else for more money. Doesn't matter if it's a family of 5+, you will get whatever room they have left
poo poo yeah. I don't live there anymore but as far as I know that's still on the sign.

A lot of those tourism operators are scummy as gently caress. But hey, when you've got a never ending supply of people that want to see a waterfall, you might as well squeeze every last cent out of them.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ive been unsure if this was gonna work out and now it looks like im free to see this solar poo poo

I'm about 1.5 hours from Chicago, so it feels like chilling there Sunday night, waking up about 6:00am and assessing weather, and then finding a spot just within the totality is doable? what could go wrong?

it seems like a cemetery would be a good last-ditch spot to see this? haha

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

20 Blunts posted:

ive been unsure if this was gonna work out and now it looks like im free to see this solar poo poo

I'm about 1.5 hours from Chicago, so it feels like chilling there Sunday night, waking up about 6:00am and assessing weather, and then finding a spot just within the totality is doable? what could go wrong?

it seems like a cemetery would be a good last-ditch spot to see this? haha

Honestly you should just go to Niagara Falls, everyone else is

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ive been there and it blows

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mozi posted:

probably buy a racehorse

Get a fast one.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

sure okay posted:

I didnt know your mom getting on a plane was such an event op

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

See I think "didn't know Canada is launching your mom into space" or something would have hit a bit harder. The plane doesn't get bigger when people get on, that is ludicrous

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

20 Blunts posted:

Yeah doesn't get better if you live there either

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
any good cemeteries near by though? im thinking those will offer the best amenities

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

20 Blunts posted:

any good cemeteries near by though? im thinking those will offer the best amenities

There's some pretty nice cemeteries but according to my father "people are dying to get in" to the majority of them

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Ugh, there's *always* eclipses and there's *always* people getting all noisy about them. At least the ones where people think like a Jesus or someone will show up and go insane are entertaining from a distance.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sex Farm posted:

See I think "didn't know Canada is launching your mom into space" or something would have hit a bit harder. The plane doesn't get bigger when people get on, that is ludicrous

yeah i guess it wasn't that well thought out

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

syntaxfunction posted:

Ugh, there's *always* eclipses and there's *always* people getting all noisy about them. At least the ones where people think like a Jesus or someone will show up and go insane are entertaining from a distance.

but this one wont happen for another 400 years!!!! just like the last one

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

biznatchio posted:

If you ever see a total eclipse in person, you'll understand.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Bold assumption I haven't seen one, maybe I was just unimpressed :smug:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

My city declared a state of emergency because a ship hit a large bridge, cutting off a vital east coast transit link and shutting down one of the biggest and most important ports in the nation.

...But I guess yours is cool too.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

Bold assumption I haven't seen one, maybe I was just unimpressed :smug:

Were they total eclipses?

I do like it when you look up and the moon is like 300% the size it usually is and you're like "drat, that's cool" so maybe I'm just a hypocrite, I don't know, I was born in Niagara Falls, cut me some slack

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Log082 posted:

My city declared a state of emergency because a ship hit a large bridge, cutting off a vital east coast transit link and shutting down one of the biggest and most important ports in the nation.

...But I guess yours is cool too.

Well maybe they should have declared a state of emergency 9 days in advance like my city did

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Nah total eclipses are cool, I've actually been in the place to see two weirdly (Dec 2002 and Nov 2012) because happened to be visiting family.

Like they're neat I just don't understand actively chasing them around and causing a planning emergencies for towns. Seems weird to me, but maybe I'm just content with regular lunder eclipses.

Not a size queen I guess.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Seems like almost every town in Texas has these massive "sports complexes." What are these used for during weekdays? Am I going to get chased out if I drive into one at 8am on Monday and start tailgating?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Wifi Toilet posted:

Seems like almost every town in Texas has these massive "sports complexes." What are these used for during weekdays? Am I going to get chased out if I drive into one at 8am on Monday and start tailgating?

They're so children can graze on HGH infused grass

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

20 Blunts posted:

Maybe, but it's got highway 420 motherfucker. What does your city have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Last eclipse we got the crickets just chirped like it was nightime for an hr and that was that.

No Dark gods awakening to begin their reign.
No Mass Madness and nashing of teeth.
No raining blood from a lacerated sky.

2/10