Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
SAVE THE CHEERLEADER KONAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

redshirt posted:

It can't be stressed enough that it is indeed a DRAMATIC difference between 100% totality, and anything less. If you're close enough to get to 100%, you should make the effort if possible.
Yes.

Do you have a bike? Can you borrow one? Are you a decent runner? Can you fire yourself out of a catapult and hang glide there? Do whatever you can to get to totality if you're close enough.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
where is the exact cutoff for distance where it goes from "do whatever you can to get into totality, it's worth it" to "tourists are stupidly overrunning the north for no reaon, hisssss"

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InediblePenguin posted:

where is the exact cutoff for distance where it goes from "do whatever you can to get into totality, it's worth it" to "tourists are stupidly overrunning the north for no reaon, hisssss"

for me i would go drive and see it if i wouldn't have to book a place for the night

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

InediblePenguin posted:

You can use the 'right hand rule' to figure this out.

1. Get a map.
2. Put your right hand on it, with the center of your palm on a point on the line of totality.
3. Anywhere your fingers can reach is close enough to travel from.

Alternately, if you only have a globe, you can do the same thing except use your left hand; but when placing your hand on the globe you must also pretend you are Galactus and crushing millions of people beneath your grip.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

biznatchio posted:

You can use the 'right hand rule' to figure this out.

1. Get a map.
2. Put your right hand on it, with the center of your palm on a point on the line of totality.
3. Anywhere your fingers can reach is close enough to travel from.

Alternately, if you only have a globe, you can do the same thing except use your left hand; but when placing your hand on the globe you must also pretend you are Galactus and crushing millions of people beneath your grip.
I got out my parents' 1995 Road Atlas of Cuyahoga County and did this on the page I used to live and it turns out I shouldn't even travel to go see the eclipse even though I am visiting for work a few miles away. Guess I'm just gonna lock myself in my loaner office.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
They made maps different 29 years ago, you need a bigger map or a bigger hand.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I printed a really big map of my home and apparently I'm barely allowed out of my room :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Meanwhile, I have like Allied HQ here with maps and battleplans and backup plans and backup plans to the backup plans, etc.

We will take this beach!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Someone predict the weather for me. I can reach anywhere in the arc from San Antonio to Little Rock.

VVV e: alright, never been to Arkansas before but looks like I'm heading to Conway just north of Little Rock. They've got some baseball fields with lots of parking and if those are full, there's always walmart/home depot parking lots. Kinda sad to watch an eclipse in a parking lot, but never gonna top our spot near Grand Tetons in 2017.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 6, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wifi Toilet posted:

Someone predict the weather for me. I can reach anywhere in the arc from San Antonio to Little Rock.

Little Rock looks like the best bet for fewest clouds.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2024/03/29/cloud-cover-eclipse-forecast-maps-cities/

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Niagara Falls reaping the benefits of disappointed and underwhelmed tourists is the most Niagara Falls thing ever

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

it gets dark every day y'all

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

bertolt rekt posted:

it gets dark every day y'all

actually it gets dark every night

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i’m in buffalo and am really hoping it clears up tomorrow :(

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'm outside of St. Louis and just 12 minutes from totality. Dunno if I'll drive there or not. My house was in totality in 2017 so I've already seen it before :cool:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Drove through texas and oklahoma today. So much country music. Gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores…other kinds of music exist guys.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

It seems like such an odd flex for Buydins to make the sun go away in the middle of the day after he made everyone put up all those solar panels.

Election year antics I guess.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Oh is this the eclipse thread, cool. My house in The Path, and the rain chances have cleared, I'm getting hype. Hopefully not a lot of people came to Arkansas cause I do have to drive somewhere tomorrow afternoon

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

VVV e: alright, never been to Arkansas before but looks like I'm heading to Conway just north of Little Rock. They've got some baseball fields with lots of parking and if those are full, there's always walmart/home depot parking lots. Kinda sad to watch an eclipse in a parking lot, but never gonna top our spot near Grand Tetons in 2017.

Uh you can come to my house in (e: too late!) if you want, plenty of land and probably not as crowded as Conway

CloFan fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 8, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna go see it. in Illinois

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

in our lovely Indiana city the news is pushing scare pieces about us running out of gas to the TOURISTS

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Oh no, I have tickets to Marineland, now the lines are going to be huge to see the animals being abused

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

meat police posted:

in our lovely Indiana city the news is pushing scare pieces about us running out of gas to the TOURISTS

Lmao “those people” from a different county than mine! :mad:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Oh no, I have tickets to Marineland, now the lines are going to be huge to see the animals being abused

Ah gently caress now I have the Marineland song from their 90s commercials stuck in my loving head.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I got to see a good one in 2012, the transit of venus right after, a good partial in October last year, and I'll probably get like 70% coverage on this one. Looking forward to it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sunny and not a cloud in the sky. Let's go!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xGxnZFNYs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bradzilla posted:

incorrect

the difference between totality and not is literal night and day. don't be a little baby and drive to see it. there is no such thing as partial totality

It's overcast all day anyway plus my ride got sick. No eclipse for me

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

CloFan posted:

Uh you can come to my house in (e: too late!) if you want, plenty of land and probably not as crowded as Conway

Turns out conway isn’t too bad! Setup at a baseball park and it’s not even crowded, and open bathrooms even! Thanks for the offer though!

(Not me in pic)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My town is in the path of totality and the sky is covered in gray clouds. :argh:

I've literally been waiting for this since the 2017 eclipse. gently caress these clouds. :(

EDIT: The news is showing a tiny rear end shithole town about an hour northwest of me that has actual blue skies, and I'm sitting here in overcast skies. gently caress you, Mineola TX, you don't deserve nice things! :mad:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 8, 2024

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

Turns out conway isn’t too bad! Setup at a baseball park and it’s not even crowded, and open bathrooms even! Thanks for the offer though!

(Not me in pic)

Nice! Glad you found a spot. Theyve been fear mongering for a while now to make sure you have bread and milk and gas. So far my neck of the woods is fairly normal, maybe a few extra campers around. Beautiful day though!

Enjoy Conway, it's a cool town. Plus you can go right next door to Toad Suck Park and get a tshirt

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m checking on the eclipse every ten minutes or so.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Well that was a fun eclipse, but now thousands of out of state squatters have formed a micro-state in my backyard, which pisses me off because that was where I was going to found my own micro-state.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got pics bitch! :dukedog:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Baraka!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Was really weird to hear Americans talk about God throughout the whole broadcast. They got really melodramatic on the abc feed.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
God can suck my fuckin dick.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

coolest poo poo I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

God can suck my fuckin dick.

Can God create a dick that even He would gag on?