Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGGKtSIQhFU

Spice & Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf is an adaptation of the Spice & Wolf light novel series written by Isuna Hasekura and illustrated by Juu Ayakura. The show, set in a fictional world inspired by medieval Europe, follows a traveling merchant who comes into the company of an incarnation of an ancient wolf god, accompanying her to her homeland while also doing Capitalism.

Wait, wasn't this already an anime?

Okay, yeah. The series originally had an adaptation from 2008-2009 that's considered to be quite excellent. Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf is intended as a reboot of the series, restarting the adaptation from the beginning. This is partly because it's been 15 years (a long time!) since the end of the second season of the original, and the original skipped a volume of the LNs that proved to be critical to the ending of the series, oops.

Despite being produced by Passione, a different studio than the original, the new series retains the director of the original series, Takeo Takahashi, and the original voice actors for the two leads are also returning.

Characters

Kraft Lawrence (Jun Fukuyama)

A merchant who travels from town to town trading, buying, and selling various goods. His dream is to make enough money from his business to settle down and open his own store. He takes pride in his business sense and prioritizes profit above most else.

Holo (Ami Koshimizu)
A wolf spirit from a land to the north, she long ago settled down in the village of Pasloe and became the community's harvest goddess. After centuries of waning belief, she desires to return to her home, stowing away in Lawrence's cart and eventually becoming his business partner in the process. Being long lived, she has an old fashioned way of speech that alienates some.

Spice & Wolf will be streamed on Crunchyroll outside Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Big fan of both the original show and books so looking forward to this, though I do feel/fear that they are going to go at it at a much faster pace than the more languid rate the original show did.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spicy Wolf

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Spolf

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Looking forward to this mostly. I really enjoyed the original even if I desperately wanted it to have less “men are like this and women are like this” per episode.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

alright i'm one of the seven people on this planet who hasn't seen the original even though i've meant to for a while, coming into this with a fresh set of eyes

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

alright i'm one of the seven people on this planet who hasn't seen the original even though i've meant to for a while, coming into this with a fresh set of eyes

just had a convo with someone about how it was weird we never watched the original

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I remember liking the first season back when, so I think I'll give this one a go.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

This is going to unearth some ancient rubbish memes

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Korbo

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Splif

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Very interesting choice of an opening scene to set as a framing device for the whole story.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Oh good don’t have to wait another week for personal top 3 anime of the season

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

i dunno how much i like the new look of the show but im glad it seems like theyre doing the whole unabridged series. the ED with Ayakara Juu art is cute

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Kevin Penkin soundtrack is good too

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

shows definitely lacks a bit of polish and shine on the art compared to the older anime.
but the charm of the banter seems retained, and the bgm fits well. The chemistry does seem stronger right off the start.
Looking forward to how they handle the first arc.

I expected the 2008 anime original stand-in to be replaced with the more accurate source material character, but still sad to see her absent. RIP Chloe, you live on in our memories.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Local harvest god, The Corn Dog

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
God of State Fairs, Tractor Pulls, and NASCAR races.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nate RFB posted:

Very interesting choice of an opening scene to set as a framing device for the whole story.

I’ll admit, as a reader of the LN and spinoff, having Myuri show up in episode 1 was a really unexpected treat. They are one of my favorite characters.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Are they doing the live dub thing with this one, or is that something we'll have to wait for the later English release? I really really liked the dub voice actors in the first version, and hope they get the same people again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't think CR has announced what dubs they're doing this season yet, but yeah would love to see Tatum and Palencia back

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

crossposting meself

symbolic posted:

bizarre to me that the general consensus for S&W remake here so far is "mid" even among people who haven't watched the original, since i came off the first episode with a very positive impression. i'm very intrigued about the world and how the pair are going to navigate it and i thought the animation was really nice, plus it's prime time for non-isekai fantasy after the massive success of Frieren and Dungeon Meshi

also just saw it's two-cour, hell yeah

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked it (especially the opening scene's schick) but I do think the original show's change from Yarei to Chloe (who does make a brief cameo here!) worked a little better than this. New show kind of makes Lawrence's trip into Pasloe feel a little colder/less meaningful going back to Yarei. Which won't mean as much now that the two main chars are on the road honestly though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 2, 2024

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Vibes being Similar, But Off/Shifted vs the original take on it as far as ep 1 goes, though interesting to see more of the actual story being apparently adopted---feels like something to catch back up on down the line in big viewing batches unless the moment just happens to strike.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I thought the pacing felt a little rushed in a way that's hard to describe since it's not like there was a whole lot happening at any given moment. Just felt like they were trying to get through each scene as fast as possible without giving anything room to breathe? Even what should be a relaxed conversation felt urgent somehow.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Clarste posted:

I thought the pacing felt a little rushed in a way that's hard to describe since it's not like there was a whole lot happening at any given moment. Just felt like they were trying to get through each scene as fast as possible without giving anything room to breathe? Even what should be a relaxed conversation felt urgent somehow.

i mean I felt like there was a ton of info getting laid out at once which, whatever, first episode, but i genuinely did not think the pacing was rushed in the way you described

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I liked the first episode overall (especially the framing device!) but I did think there were some misses with some of the visuals (the horse) and how they balanced the pace of some parts versus the others. Trying my best to refrain from hating on new thing because it’s not the old thing, not that I think anyone is doing that here or the seasonal thread! And it can be hard to land the first episode sometimes in a more deliberate kind of show I think.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

gonna be interesting to see reactions to the volume they cut out since it won't be under a shadow of the old show and be 100% the studios piece.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The pacing isn't too different I felt, it had to be a little faster to fit the new flash forward at the start, but otherwise the old show and new show end on the exact same line.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Watching 2008 ep1 again Chloe and the romantic tension with her definitely creates a different dynamic for the whole intro, there's more familiarity. there between Lawrence and Pasloe, which does heighten the dramatic tension for future events. Though I don't mind Yarei's "Yo, gently caress Holo" making Pasloe seem colder, since it creates sympathy for Holo, why she would want to leave the village, and is good reason for Lawrence to bring her along. Well it'll remain to be seen how the pacing goes along now that it can probably slow down a bit with the immediate intro out of the way

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think the new show definitely stands on its own pretty well, and I do agree that there was just something about the framing or dialogue or something that made it somehow seem more fast-paced, even though the first episode hits all the same beats and ends on the same spot as the first of the old anime. Not sure why, though!

It's all good. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

One minor sore spot, though, for me, is that I wasn't as taken with the soundtrack as I was with the first. The first struck me as very unique, and the use of medieval polyphonic tones and the like really helped to give it a rich and contemporaneous sound. The new soundtrack is passable, but doesn't leave an impression.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i don’t mind them rushing this stuff because i trust they’ll slow down on stuff not previously animated, like FMAB

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, they're not rushing stuff, they are covering the exact same number of pages from the novel. It just feels rushed in a hard-to-quantify, subjective way.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

just means we want more, should have been a 2-3episode release at start situation (only just cause I wanna see more)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What I was talking about when it comes to the soundtrack is striking and unique songs like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtH1tC8ssV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUYbmSdahXY

I'm still a huge fan of the S&W original soundtrack and occasionally put it on to listen because of how rich and varied it is, with the use of traditional instruments.

I think sound and music design is really important to establishing atmosphere in a show, and I haven't heard anything that really struck me. There was even an incongruous song that employed a bit of electric guitar, which seemed really out of place.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm coming at this show as a brand new babe, considering I've never read the source material nor seen the original anime.

First episode was beautiful!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So far they're pretty much 1:1 with the 2008 show's pacing which is mostly what I was worried about.

Also some of the artistic choices in the first episode aside I think I'm growing the look of the new show watching it and '08 back to back.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

So far they're pretty much 1:1 with the 2008 show's pacing which is mostly what I was worried about.

Also some of the artistic choices in the first episode aside I think I'm growing the look of the new show watching it and '08 back to back.

No, yeah, actually by the second episode, it's starting to grow on me. I'm excited to hear the dub when it comes out, if they end up having the originals reprise their roles.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Could use more close up shots.
Having to see Holo try to smack fleas from a distance is a disservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Never had goat-cheese on potatoe.
or goat-anything really. Good choking on potato count, and aggressive potato chewing.

I think they did the last scene in ep2 very well
Holo overstepping her teasing about wolves killing humans without thinking and making Lawrence mad. They didn't really focus on this part in the older show and quickly moved on, but it felt they let it hang for a bit longer and gave it more weight.