Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It has been....16 years since I saw the original anime as it came out so I've forgotten a lot. I enjoyed this first episode, no major complaints. Looking forward to doing it all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yeah, this second episode definitely felt better than the first.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ep 2 finished and i'm now feeling these vibes hardcore. still haven't checked out the original to compare but honestly not really feeling the need to now

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i watched ep 1 of this remake and compared it to ep 1 of the original. The landscapes in this new version are beautiful, and the soundtrack is very lush. But there are a few things I think the original has in its favor:

1. when Lawrence and Holo meet, there is this really well-done sequence where Holo is looking up at the stars, and it seamlessly turns into her memory of the snowy north, and Lawrence is drawn into her imagined landscape. It's really creative and pulled off with effortless confidence, and it instantly sells the whole show. There's also this very effective use of close ups and camera pans between their faces that conveys Holo's coy personality as well as their immediate chemistry and intimacy. By comparison, the first episode of the remake has them rather cold toward each other, and seems to emphasize Holo's yokai-like goddess quality.

2. the opening sequence of the original does a good job connecting the grain motif with the idea that mercantilism is changing the economic landscape. It's a stronger narrative and thematic start to the story than the frame narrative.

3. the original has more expressive character animation. The original's art style, VA directing, storyboard, and script also seem to have a lighter touch, and the effect is that by the end of the first episode you already feel like Lawrence and Holo are besties and dating each other.

no shade on this remake but it mostly just made me want to rewatch the original.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Some very nice character animation and expressions for Holo this episode. I do wish Lawrence was as expressive too, though. That's what stands out to me when comparing it to 2008.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The folks saying the original is better are out of their minds.

https://twitter.com/cloudynyxx/status/1779994668207341930?t=auTvwsa8PUo_aFfQHjGsEw&s=19

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's not the original so it's mid, sorry

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

watching original S&W in dub though lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

episode 3 covered a lot of ground.
lots of my favorite scenes.
the apples, the market, the coin change guy

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

i shrimply do not watch the dub

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dub and Wolf

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The music still is better in the original. :colbert:

Also, this is great! I am so glad they got the same dub VAs to reprise their roles. Definitely think their performances have improved since then, Holo sounds more consistent instead of occasionally dropping out and becoming "modern girl".

GateOfD posted:

watching original S&W in dub though lol

A buddy of mine and I watched the original in dub because we were just right off of Code Geass and could not unhear Jun Fukuyama as Lelouch whenever Lawrence spoke. Then we came to realize what a great performance the dub was and kept rolling with it!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I still can't unhear Lelouch even now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah that was a very good bit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ep 3 down, i'm still extremely on board with the vibe. i can understand why some people might find it boring but those people are NPCs so who cares. Holo showing her true saleswoman side was wonderful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/SuperGroupiesUS/status/1777148472623509838

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

i sense an epic crossover with the ylls watch thread in the future

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Anyway I'm enjoying this show, Spice and Wolf is great! but I wish they'd show less of the crap rear end cgi. the lingering alley shot in the latest episode with slowly walking townspeople is a bit rough lol.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

symbolic posted:

ep 3 down, i'm still extremely on board with the vibe. i can understand why some people might find it boring but those people are NPCs so who cares. Holo showing her true saleswoman side was wonderful.

S&W 2024 is still awesome. The source material is good stuff, so it's working from a solid start. I'm warming up to the remake for sure, especially the background art seems higher-quality. I also just watched the 1st episode dubbed and Brina Palencia and J Michael Tatum do a fantastic job.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Three episodes in and it's generally fine compared to the original, and certainly good on its own. The only main issue remaining being certain rough spots in the animation (some being recurring). Otherwise, it's mostly just down to preference in certain areas - for instance I still prefer the sharper designs of the original, but the softer ones here are growing on me.

The only true downgrade are the OP/ED, but the exceeding the originals was always going to be an exceedingly difficult task there. On its own the new OP is perfectly fine - quite good, even. The ED I'm a bit more neutral on - it's not a bad ED, just not a super catchy one.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The new version is fine but hasn't done anything significantly better or worse or stand out at all from the 2008 version in any way. I'm basically treating this as a slow rewatch. I'm hoping they reach unadapted material in this run (I'm not sure if this is one cour or two) so that this version feels like it has a reason to exist.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

one thing the new version does better is it better shows Holo actually misses her role in the village and didn't leave just leave on a whim, and wonders if anyone remembers her

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Spice & Wolf ep4

Good chase scene. The conversation before Holo and Lawrence before they split up was good. The two haven't actually spent much time together, so they don't really have a reason to fully trust eachother. But they did a good job of both opening a bit up to eachother.

Some of the character models still look a bit off at times, but at least most of the episode was at night, so it was a bit more hidden.

I forget if the original had cold opens, but they're making strong use of them here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like some of the wolf aspects they're playing up more in this version like the tail bushing up, the original usually didn't bother other than piping in growling sounds.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

well we've got hella stakes now, and it's appreciated. holo's monologue about loneliness was appropriately despair-inducing. definitely detecting more animation stiffness but i can overlook it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

It's true

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Spicy Wolf continues to rock.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I never watched the original but this show is really good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

It's true

lol that so random for her to just start doing a little hand and ear dance

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fluffdaddy posted:

I never watched the original but this show is really good

hear hear

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Episode 5 was really strong.
Wise Wolf Holo!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

GateOfD posted:

lol that so random for her to just start doing a little hand and ear dance

Wolf ear animation is on point in this remake!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So this episode seems to imply quite heavily that people in this world are aware that supernatural creatures exist (in principle, even if they've never seen one) and the local religion's problem with them is less "don't believe this nonsense" and more Lord Farquaad.

Sad state of the modern internet that I haven't yet seen one of these edited to say "didn't read lol".

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Brutal Garcon posted:

So this episode seems to imply quite heavily that people in this world are aware that supernatural creatures exist (in principle, even if they've never seen one) and the local religion's problem with them is less "don't believe this nonsense" and more Lord Farquaad.

Sad state of the modern internet that I haven't yet seen one of these edited to say "didn't read lol".

It's implied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nate RFB posted:

It's true

Hey you put your signature in your actual post, didn't know if you noticed