Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Are they doing the live dub thing with this one, or is that something we'll have to wait for the later English release? I really really liked the dub voice actors in the first version, and hope they get the same people again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think the new show definitely stands on its own pretty well, and I do agree that there was just something about the framing or dialogue or something that made it somehow seem more fast-paced, even though the first episode hits all the same beats and ends on the same spot as the first of the old anime. Not sure why, though!

It's all good. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

One minor sore spot, though, for me, is that I wasn't as taken with the soundtrack as I was with the first. The first struck me as very unique, and the use of medieval polyphonic tones and the like really helped to give it a rich and contemporaneous sound. The new soundtrack is passable, but doesn't leave an impression.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What I was talking about when it comes to the soundtrack is striking and unique songs like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtH1tC8ssV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUYbmSdahXY

I'm still a huge fan of the S&W original soundtrack and occasionally put it on to listen because of how rich and varied it is, with the use of traditional instruments.

I think sound and music design is really important to establishing atmosphere in a show, and I haven't heard anything that really struck me. There was even an incongruous song that employed a bit of electric guitar, which seemed really out of place.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

So far they're pretty much 1:1 with the 2008 show's pacing which is mostly what I was worried about.

Also some of the artistic choices in the first episode aside I think I'm growing the look of the new show watching it and '08 back to back.

No, yeah, actually by the second episode, it's starting to grow on me. I'm excited to hear the dub when it comes out, if they end up having the originals reprise their roles.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The music still is better in the original. :colbert:

Also, this is great! I am so glad they got the same dub VAs to reprise their roles. Definitely think their performances have improved since then, Holo sounds more consistent instead of occasionally dropping out and becoming "modern girl".

GateOfD posted:

watching original S&W in dub though lol

A buddy of mine and I watched the original in dub because we were just right off of Code Geass and could not unhear Jun Fukuyama as Lelouch whenever Lawrence spoke. Then we came to realize what a great performance the dub was and kept rolling with it!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

symbolic posted:

ep 3 down, i'm still extremely on board with the vibe. i can understand why some people might find it boring but those people are NPCs so who cares. Holo showing her true saleswoman side was wonderful.

S&W 2024 is still awesome. The source material is good stuff, so it's working from a solid start. I'm warming up to the remake for sure, especially the background art seems higher-quality. I also just watched the 1st episode dubbed and Brina Palencia and J Michael Tatum do a fantastic job.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

GateOfD posted:

lol that so random for her to just start doing a little hand and ear dance

Wolf ear animation is on point in this remake!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Suleman posted:

I watched some of the old anime adaptation back in the day, but I didn't appreciate what seemed to be a pretty typical tsundere characterization for Holo. It didn't seem like an interesting personality for a 1000-year-old wolf demigod.

Is that a feature in the original novels and the new adaptation? It's honestly a bit of a dealbreaker.

She really isn't much of a tsundere at all, unless you're using an incredibly broad definition. It's all about the clever, witty banter, and it's obviously clear from the get-go that they have chemistry and are agreeable companions. Even in the original, and in the novels, there isn't any of the typical "You stupid idiot! :mad: <->A-a-actually c-could you help me with this? :( " nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The introduction of the shepherd begins one of my favorite arcs in S&W! I'm looking forward to it.

Fluffdaddy posted:

yes, as someone who has never watched the original, their relationship is just pleasant to watch.

Agreed! It's nice seeing characters who are just as clever as each other dancing around and bantering. It's so fun!