Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

I bought the game. Haven't gotten a chance to go through the tutorial but I'm liking the activity of the devs so far so I figured for $20 might as well give it a shot.

Much later edit: Unlocked the shop. Game is shaping up to be really good if it keeps unlocking stuff at this pace. I cleared out every node in the previous outing but was really low on power by the end of it. Wish I had actually crafted some lockpicks. I really like how the game gives you like 3 options to open every locked door you come across.

Honestly it feels a little bit like a rogue-lite on top of every other genre this game is trying to be. The randomized loot is like the low level loot you get after each floor, the terminals you power up are like the slightly better loot that you don't always get, and the perk you get after clearing each node is like a run-wide bonus.

Yeah it's a little slow to start but the run-based structure lends a lot to its replayability. It does scratch some of the itch that roguelites do, though a single run could potentially take a very long time if you're not just fast-looting the Windy Desert to quickly get a fresh Local Operative up to speed. A correction on those terminals, though, they're perks from the same pool as the node-clearing bonuses.

Now that you've got the shop it's a better idea to try to max out some early-game runs, if you have the turrets for it. You'll need a lot of scrap metal and basic materials and you can easily buy them in bulk from Monica instead of scrounging for handfuls of them at a time in the field. Incidentally, this is a good reason to de-prioritize them in the field once you've got enough cash. When Container space is limited and your ability to bring home loot is bottlenecked, it's good to know that you can always just buy the basic mats.

It's also a good idea to hunt down blueprints, there's some pretty vital stuff in there. The boss of the Snow Ruins is big enough that I doubt I could've beaten it without a mech and the only one of those you can get at that point is the Cataphract Hangar - Knight model bp from a random minor node in that zone. The section of the main quest where your progress is gated by getting the mats to construct a Guardian Dispenser is a good point to start grinding up to gear seriously.

I'm still unlocking more features as I go, and that Guardian Dispenser quest gates a bunch of extremely convenient HQ features and a vitally important turret upgrade bp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
My next mission is to find a blueprint in the wooded area so I'll try to max out the run again like I did last time.

What exactly is the third base stat? I understand what supplies and power do, but what's the generated power stat or whatever the third stat below the other two do? And why do I have the option to dismantle the thingy with the lightning bolt inside my base? Is that like an emergency power reserve or something?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

My next mission is to find a blueprint in the wooded area so I'll try to max out the run again like I did last time.

What exactly is the third base stat? I understand what supplies and power do, but what's the generated power stat or whatever the third stat below the other two do? And why do I have the option to dismantle the thingy with the lightning bolt inside my base? Is that like an emergency power reserve or something?

The third base state is Core Output, which determines the strength and radius of the X-Boost Field as well as provides a damage boost to all of your outpost turrets.

The "Dismantle" option for the lightning thingy in your outpost is an ambiguously translated button that should probably say "Convert to Fuel," you can shove items into there to turn them into more Power, helpful for extending your run by one more node or so. Some items convert at a better rate like the Lumber you get for dismantling trees.

You can also convert 300 Resources to 30 Power from the Command menu, if you click on the icon for the Core Tower. Generators also let you convert Resources to Power at a rate of 150 for 15 a pop. The perk that gives you a +30% bonus to Resources gathered manually (ie. from stuff you salvaged yourself out in the field) is actually a lot stronger than you might think, precisely because it effectively improves your exchange rate as far as Wreckages/Trees dismantled for every 15/30 Power.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Material to Power conversion is really useful, especially once you get a material converter. Before that, dismantling heavy wreckages are a good way to gain power. It costs 25 power to dismantle them into 300 material. You can convert 300 material into 30 power from your tower, or use small generators to convert 150 material into 15 power. So it's a good way to recoup power if you are low.

Once you get a material converter, small ore are a great way to regain power. You can pick them up for free, and 1 ore converts to 10 material.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think a patch a few days after release changed it so that your outpost starts with a material converter to begin with, so it's just always an option.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I've been using the 150 materials to 15 energy option a lot, but haven't noticed the 300 to 30. It's the same ratio though so I guess it just bypasses the cool down on the conversion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I usually use the 300 option first because it's right next to the Scan button on the Command screen and I Scan every time I need to do a Designated Recovery or an Officer Hunt.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You will also eventually get a combat miner blueprint. You can deploy them on exploration days to help harvest materials. I'm testing it out to see if I can still deploy the max as I move to different maps, but there's no reason to think you shouldn't be able to.

Also, I love how much they update this game.

Here's another tip I read on the reddit page for this game. Use stairs to make sure every floor is powered. You can also use them to make towers for turrets. It's kind of frustrating that pillars don't, but it's something until that gets changed/fixed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's deeply hosed up that Ramps don't provide structural or power supply support for utility tiles the way stairs do.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I think that the intent of requiring stairs is to push you to make an actual navigable base rather than just a pyramid of turrets, hence not connecting via pillars. But yeah ramps absolutely should, given that.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 6, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I had some combat miners show up on recovery day on the first mission set that was still tutorializing some stuff, what do those do?

Also, I like the fact that the game gives you some tension in exploring quickly by allowing you to activate terminals for free if you get to them fast enough at each node.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

I had some combat miners show up on recovery day on the first mission set that was still tutorializing some stuff, what do those do?

Also, I like the fact that the game gives you some tension in exploring quickly by allowing you to activate terminals for free if you get to them fast enough at each node.

Combat miners will grab Resources from crates or wreckages, you can watch them go. Also I hadn't noticed that about the terminals but it would explain a lot.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Oof I just spent like an hour and a half on a mission only to get one shot by a rocket on recovery day.

Does quick explore guarantee that it'll grab all the loot available in a node? I might want to just spam that and then clear out a node to regain energy to clear out a map.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hyper Inferno posted:

Oof I just spent like an hour and a half on a mission only to get one shot by a rocket on recovery day.

Does quick explore guarantee that it'll grab all the loot available in a node? I might want to just spam that and then clear out a node to regain energy to clear out a map.

Nah, it'll get you a good amount, but not as much as you'd get if you covered the entire area. However, you don't have to completely clean a spot out. Sometimes doing quick-explores is a good way to burn days to research new tech.

Also, I just did a campaign mission on hard and even Difficulty 1 is NO loving JOKE. I thought I made my outpost pretty hard with reinforced panels, pre-war artillery, and a poo poo-ton of CIWS turrets, but nope. I just barely hung on. Explore days can also have waves of enemies patrolling even before you begin recovering equipment.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Okay, good to know. I'll probably do some quick explores to just catch myself back up. I didn't have much stuff since I'm still so early in the game but I had found like enough pieces to build two more turrets, a broken drone, some 700+ gold value sellable gun, and most annoyingly lost a grenade launcher hand piece when all the other hand pieces I've found so far have been scan gloves.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You're gonna hate hearing this, but it's helpful not to sell those valuables. There is a scavenger that will visit the trade outpost who will trade gear for certain valuables. I sold my vintage guns and there was a decent item that he was willing to trade 5 of them for.

A good way to get gold is to use some of the risk events on recovery days, like getting gold worth 100% of the materials being extracted. However, you also have to be able to fight the enemies off to make it work.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still in the Snow Ruins, about to move into the City Ruins tonight, but I wanted to show off my latest outpost design. I realized you could launch your Cataphracts from the Command Menu but I didn't realize that they will boost forward at max speed if you do. My original layout had my Knight yeet itself right into a tree behind my outpost on my first launch, so I made some modifications to my design loosely based off the Argama from Zeta Gundam and ZZ, limited by space, materials, and the need to fill the inside of the drat thing with enough batteries to make the energizer bunny blush.

I'd like to get a clip of my mechs launching in the field but my computer isn't quite beefy enough to easy handle that so here's the Gundam MkII.

E: City Ruins kicked my rear end, here's the revised model

Runa fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 7, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also ngl but the City Ruins was the first time I thought, drat those Cryo and Pyro turret blueprints might actually come in useful here.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is this worth picking up if my primary point of playing would be coop? Are there enough goons playing anywhere to get games going?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Is this worth picking up if my primary point of playing would be coop? Are there enough goons playing anywhere to get games going?

It does look like there's a handful of goons playing largely independent of each other, the co-op's pretty good but it takes an hour or so of rushing the main story to unlock and for co-op you're probably best off if you already have a friend either interested or already playing it.

I've got two mech hangars on my landship specifically because I have a friend who got me into this game lol

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm going to try doing co-op with friends later this week, it's not entirely drop-in and out and it remains to be seen how well the scaling will work out if you have a member of your friend group who tends to get absorbed and rocket ahead in terms of progression.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

That's a very sweet base. Mine is just ziggurat of turrets and mortars. I like the cataphract launchpad. I might have to incorporate that.

Runa posted:

Also ngl but the City Ruins was the first time I thought, drat those Cryo and Pyro turret blueprints might actually come in useful here.

:same: It was very tense.

Also, I'm not sure if others are having trouble, but I can't get the game to start. I've tried verifying the files, redownloading a missing file, deleting my steam file and re-downloading, but nothing. I'm so depressed.

EDIT: Found out it was AVG, and it did the same thing to Starship Troopers: Extermination. loving A.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 8, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still at work but it's slow and I've been thinking about this game and planning my next few runs. I'll need to focus on using Drone Deliveries to limit the amount of traffic I'm sending through on Recovery Day, and prioritize the rarest drops. I want to get Hellfire turrets online and in order to do that I need a lot of red-tier mats.

Was also thinking of how some useful some gear is.

It's pretty clear that Breakthrough Helmet on a Hare Squad ninja is really good, especially if you luck out and get a perk that refreshes her sword dash on kill. What you might not realize is that with the Breakthrough Helmet buff the sword dash can actually deal between 20k-50k(!) damage, which is enough to three-shot some of the trickier doors. Like the ones that require a Power Bank to open from a terminal.

Also you can aim her sword dash upwards and use it as an extra jump but that's just regular Genji tech.

And the Engineering Helmet is a little busted in an OP way because of how its ammo buff is implemented. I am pretty sure it's a glitch or otherwise unintended but it's really helpful all the same. By its description it's supposed to let you overload a turret by 25% more ammo over its max. What actually happens is it allows you to break the magazine's cap and lets you load 1250 ammo in the process.

So if you've got a CIWS with 990 ammo, when you manually reload it while equipped with the Engineer Helmet, you've got a CIWS with 2240 ammo.

This will probably be patched out but enjoy it while you can.

Bogus Adventure posted:

That's a very sweet base. Mine is just ziggurat of turrets and mortars. I like the cataphract launchpad. I might have to incorporate that.

Thanks lol

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Is the CIWS significantly more powerful than other turret types? I saw that was a premium edition bonus and thought it was just a skin or variant of some sort.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is coop the kind of thing where a level 1000 boss ubergoon can come help out a newb or vice versa, a newb can join and do something minorly useful?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Has anyone tried this on steam deck? It's not evaluated yet by Valve.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Is the CIWS significantly more powerful than other turret types? I saw that was a premium edition bonus and thought it was just a skin or variant of some sort.

Both of the premium turrets have base game equivalents that unlock at the same time. I.e. the premium type 30 CIWS is unlocked when you research the standard CIWS.

According to chatter on the steam discussion board, the Type 30 CIWS is just cosmetic. The Viper Chain gun has different stats- it fires twice as fast as the dual 30mm cannon, but does half the damage and uses half the ammo per shot. So it's pretty much equivalent, except when it saves a shot by not overkilling a target I guess. Not worth worrying about.

The standard CIWS is a straight upgrade over the starting MG turret, with better range, HP, ammo efficiency, and the ability to shoot down missiles. It is a bit larger, but not much.

Elendil004 posted:

Is coop the kind of thing where a level 1000 boss ubergoon can come help out a newb or vice versa, a newb can join and do something minorly useful?

Absolutely both, having another pair of hands is a huge benefit in itself- carting around ammo boxes and monitoring turret supplies, commanding turrets and other allied units to focus down certain targets, all sorts of micro that has no requirements based on your own progress.

Meanwhile a properly kitted high-tier character can orders of magnitude more damage than a full midgame outpost. The only thing that you lose out on in co-op is you don't get the slow motion ability (pressing space to toggle) in command mode or while viewing your backpack.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I was going to ask when the game is meant to become challenging and then snow 1 with full loot meter came about a hairs breadth from completely destroying me. Just an endless tide of scorpions and tanks while I was frantically trying to reload stuff before evacing with 8% outpost left.

It was awesome and exactly what I wanted out of this game.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The nice thing with all the moving parts of this game is that it all seems pretty easily tweakable numbers-wise. So while the devs have to worry about creating a nice balanced experience between exploring and extracting, it feels like modders would be able to tilt the scales toward one direction or the other eventually.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I've just been running with Fae, and I probably should start trying different operatives. I managed to get one with some Cataphract traits where they take 50% less damage and do 50% more after doing a cataphract driving thingy that I don't have yet, so I'm guessing there is more to unlock at the home base.

Also, I finally got an upgrade blueprint for new batteries and they are ridiculously better than the standard batteries.

Runa posted:

And the Engineering Helmet is a little busted in an OP way because of how its ammo buff is implemented. I am pretty sure it's a glitch or otherwise unintended but it's really helpful all the same. By its description it's supposed to let you overload a turret by 25% more ammo over its max. What actually happens is it allows you to break the magazine's cap and lets you load 1250 ammo in the process.

So if you've got a CIWS with 990 ammo, when you manually reload it while equipped with the Engineer Helmet, you've got a CIWS with 2240 ammo.

This will probably be patched out but enjoy it while you can.

OH poo poo

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I don't think I've seen this advice, but gear on your operatives boosts their CR for base deployment. I slapped some of the gear I wasn't using and brought my operatives from about ~15k total CR to ~32K.

e: Fresh discovery: you can destroy the shelves in the supermarket POI for metal scrap. Bring red barrels or a rhino operative for huge returns.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 8, 2024

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Carcer posted:

I don't think I've seen this advice, but gear on your operatives boosts their CR for base deployment. I slapped some of the gear I wasn't using and brought my operatives from about ~15k total CR to ~32K.

e: Fresh discovery: you can destroy the shelves in the supermarket POI for metal scrap. Bring red barrels or a rhino operative for huge returns.

Yeah, both of these things are pretty key. Once you get the trading outpost and do a few tours where you get gold, you can start buying scrap and basic building materials. So far they are capped at 50, but you can refresh what the trader has for 50-200 gold depending on how much you've maxed out the base management level.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

With an abundance of CIWS turrets and a second autoloader I can more consistently survive the first half of City Ruins I. I've had to cut down some of my mech launch deck to make room for the autoloader connections, including accessibility stairs, but those decks are my outpost's most distinctive feature so I think I will endeavour to embellish them rather than continue de-emphasizing them.

CIWS turrets are such a significant straight upgrade to MG turrets, they're wild. They've become the bread and butter of my builds.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

If anyone is wondering, CIWS is commonly pronounced "Sea-Wiz"

Yes that does get the letters in the wrong order. I guess not every weapon gets a cute backronym so we all have collectively decided to pretend it does to save ourselves from making weird coughing noises.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bought this game and played it recently. it's pretty cool. i'm not too far in, i just did difficulty 2 of the second area (border woodlands?) last night

i was playing around with that "quick loot" button, oblivious to the fact that while that gives you items it does not give you base building/ammo creation material. so my first game of difficulty 2 i had to fight without any starting materials on recovery day. ultimately not super difficult, but did get me sweating a lot about the ammo expenditure vs "i do actually need to kill things more often than my ability cooldowns" balance

my question on the quick loot: is it viable to push this button a lot? because gonna be honest, the scavenge segments i don't really enjoy all that much. once per run is fine they're not awful, but if i'm actually supposed to maximize those regularly i'd rather put the game down now than in 5 hours from now

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think quick loot is for when you just want to grind materials to get stuff for your base, while regular exploration is for when there's specific objectives you want to get within the maps. Like there's special blueprints hidden on certain nodes that I believe you'd want to go out and explore to actually get but the small outpost areas are probably fine to just hit quick explore if you don't care about maximizing loot.

It also makes sense in terms of energy income tension. If you fully explore every map, you'll never be at risk of running out of energy as harvesting lumber is net positive energy and you'll naturally pick up a bunch of ore to also convert to energy. But if you throw in a mixture of quick explores then you'll need to more carefully manage your energy.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Before I knew I could convert random junk into energy I extracted a ton of lumber and ore. Are they actually used for any crafting recipes? If not, is there a way I can bring them back out of my warehouse and with me into a mission or should I just sell them?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Yes, lumber is notably used for material containers, and ore is used in a few base materials that then build into several structures. That said, you can get a good amount of those materials from other sources (such as the shop and dispatch missions, which you unlock later) so burn what you need to.

That or just spend a run on grabbing an absolute ton of lumber and immediately bug out.

Relatedly, blowing up supermarket shelves drops scrap metal. You can carry 100 in a single 4 tile inventory stack so it's not a bad option, especially if you have the gloves or xen mods to vacuum up everything in an area. That said the shop can often five you a stack of 50 instantly for cheap.

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:
You can buy infinite basic building parts like scrap metal in the trading post. There is a little reset button in the bottom right so you can reset it for 200 credits rather than doing missions and quick looting. I am pretty sure anything below the highest rarity shows up there, but that is more up to luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

bought this game and played it recently. it's pretty cool. i'm not too far in, i just did difficulty 2 of the second area (border woodlands?) last night

i was playing around with that "quick loot" button, oblivious to the fact that while that gives you items it does not give you base building/ammo creation material. so my first game of difficulty 2 i had to fight without any starting materials on recovery day. ultimately not super difficult, but did get me sweating a lot about the ammo expenditure vs "i do actually need to kill things more often than my ability cooldowns" balance

my question on the quick loot: is it viable to push this button a lot? because gonna be honest, the scavenge segments i don't really enjoy all that much. once per run is fine they're not awful, but if i'm actually supposed to maximize those regularly i'd rather put the game down now than in 5 hours from now

I do when I'm grinding research but I also have a lot of batteries and turrets. CIWS is like a higher DPS MG turret with 30mm autocannon range and one or two of those can trivialize the early game, much less eight of them. The Border Woodlands are kind of a non-issue for me.

If you're doing a specific story objective you'll need to manually scavenge it to qualify so may as well go in and also turn trees into Lumber and Resources. Or salvage the wreckage of military vehicles.