Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I will say it's possible to speedrun most Exploration Days. The Core Tower wide area scan function is only 5 Power and trivializes Designated Recovery or Officer Hunt, but it's useful in general to just point you at where the items are.

For stuff outside of your Scan range there's Scan Gloves and Detectors, the latter are a common drop from the little robot wrecks you see lying around everywhere. I rarely spend more than a couple minutes in a node outside of co-op because I usually just grab some mats and resources, beeline to the areas with likely rare drops, and boogie.

And if the node preview doesn't say anything about giving me a high chance of something I'd want, I just fast loot and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah i'm expecting to have to manually loot objective nodes, that's not that big a deal. if i can quick loot 3 times or w/e on a tour, then do one actual scavenge mission at the end before recovery day, that's pretty good

by the way while scavenging, if stuff is locked by keycard/needs a power cable, is it guaranteed that there's one in the level? a few times i'd come upon a locked door that i could not find the unlock requirements for even after using the base scan

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Plus the game incentives you to speed run exploration days with the perks that give bonuses that fade over time and the free terminals for the beginning of each day.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah i'm expecting to have to manually loot objective nodes, that's not that big a deal. if i can quick loot 3 times or w/e on a tour, then do one actual scavenge mission at the end before recovery day, that's pretty good

by the way while scavenging, if stuff is locked by keycard/needs a power cable, is it guaranteed that there's one in the level? a few times i'd come upon a locked door that i could not find the unlock requirements for even after using the base scan

No guarantees; you can bring keycards with you on a mission, though. I've definitely seen power cell doors on maps without them available.

One trick with cells is that if you have one in-hand when you "end exploration," you will have it in hand on the next area. It may turn invisible, but you can throw it and it'll show up. The same works for anything else you can hold, as far as I can tell.

You can hook up a power cable to your base to juice it up. The main tower is most reliable but other components should work- I think the platform does not. Otherwise, yeah, if you hook up the cable to a door or whatever that requires power, thqt will also work- though it's wasted if you don't get enough power units in the course of your throw. Best to just power up your outpost and spend power via interaction.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the power cell door locking up a single weird shack with a bunch of lockers in it, I found there's a hatch on the roof that accepts THI and MGT keycards.

I still prefer to bust them open with Breakthrough+Sword Dash though.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What's the difference between base operative and local operative? I unlocked two base operatives from loot drops I think, but the local operatives don't seem to be able to be assigned to anything and I can just take them on a expedition?

Edit: Nvm, read the sticky, gotta do an easy run with the local operatives first before I can recruit them I guess. I need more lumber anyway so I'll try an easy run with them.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I picked it up, where are folks playing? The COOP goons discord is the obvious place but who knows.

why is there so much grunting in this intro

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 9, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Dropped into a random co-op game after getting annihilated trying to max extract the snowy level on difficulty 1.

Co-op is a ton of fun even with no voice comms. I joined a player who was clearly much further ahead but I could still contribute quite a lot since I had a ton of mobility. I could rocket up the towers/loot ceilings quickly and even on recovery day when the bosses spawned my low level gear was enough to keep scorpions at bay while the host got into his mech for a 1v1 against the bosses.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

New patch lets you enter Command Mode while piloting a mech, thank goodness

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Against better judgment I tried to max extract the snow level again. Made the timer with 2% left on the outpost and just bailed.

Got a lot blueprints and research from that run. I think this means I should do some easier woodland stuff to clear out my research queue before trying that same difficulty again.

I guess this'll be a good time to use someone other than Fae since I played a Hare character and I really liked the Genji sword dash.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 9, 2024

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Decided to give this a second shot after returning it the first time.

Updated opinion:

Now that I've learned to embrace the janky Metal Gear Survive-esque vibes, it's growing on me. Not sure yet how it'll hold up long term but for now I'm enjoying the game way more than I was expecting to initially.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
How do I activate auto-loot? I see I researched it and there's a couple upgrades for it too but I still have to manually click on stuff and am not just hoovering up everything in my vicinity as I pass by.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

the tutorial has not taught me anything really so I am looking forward to joining a goon and asking dumb questions :D

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
GOTY

Edit: Wow, I should look at my gacha recruit talents more closely.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 9, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ok after 3.2 hours I have unlocked multiplayer. I have a few questions.

I bought a thing to recruit people but I cant see where to use it? There are two recruits on Nightingale but the only button there is "remove" which feels like taking them out of the squad?

Am I to believe that the outpost drives around on those little legs but I fly in and out of the main battles?

When I go into explore? mode? the run around loot stuff then recover in 10 seconds mode, im power limited on how many places i can explore. Are there ways in map to recover power? I think I found an arcade basketball game which seemed to maybe give me power back?

edit: what do you get for collecting tires and turning power into a tri laser that eats dead tanks?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 10, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Elendil004 posted:

Ok after 3.2 hours I have unlocked multiplayer. I have a few questions.

I bought a thing to recruit people but I cant see where to use it? There are two recruits on Nightingale but the only button there is "remove" which feels like taking them out of the squad?

Am I to believe that the outpost drives around on those little legs but I fly in and out of the main battles?

When I go into explore? mode? the run around loot stuff then recover in 10 seconds mode, im power limited on how many places i can explore. Are there ways in map to recover power? I think I found an arcade basketball game which seemed to maybe give me power back?

The recruit thing is used at the barracks, but I think you can start getting recruit cards before the option to actually gain recruits shows up. The two recruits on Nightingale are recruits that you have to run a mission with to turn them into "real" recruits. It can be the tutorial zone if you want to just speedrun it. You buy recruits with the cards and it's like a gacha (on top of every other genre this game is trying to do). The pictures I posted earlier are from two random recruits. The recruits can have wildly varying skill trees so it's luck of the draw on what you get.

Pretty sure the outpost drives around, you get dropped off. That's why in between the explore missions you're in that little room; it's supposed to be in the plane I think.

There's three ways to get back power with the default base. You can convert materials to power using the power generator in your base and you can use the Command mode (default button M) to open up the abilities of your base where you can have your core tower convert 300 materials to 30 power, or have the power generator convert 150 materials to 15 power (this is the same option as before, just accessed through a menu rather than in person). The advantage to using the command menu is that you can do it from anywhere. The third way is to dump unwanted items into the thingy with the lightning bolt in your base that says "Disassemble" when you hover over it. That gives you energy based on the rarity of the goods you throw into it. There's always a ton of ore just littering the ground. Harvesting big trees is net energy positive (6 energy for 3 lumber and 40 materials) and so is harvesting small/big wreckages (18 energy for 200 materials, 25 energy for 300 materials) and this can become even more positive if you find the random perk on your tour that gives you more materials when harvesting. Otherwise, you'll want to steal the battery packs out of drones before they fly away, or if you get really lucky, find a big battery that gives you back +50. Tires are just free materials.

Materials are also used for ammo generation (100 for 1 box), and constructing buildings.

For that basketball game before you start throwing balls into the hoop you want to check around it for more balls. It takes a while for the balls to roll back down so having more balls makes it way easier to max out the game.

Edit: I have a question of my own. How do you actually type in game? I want to try out that recruit ability but I can't actually find the keybind to type.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 10, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nice, that is helpful as hell, thank you!

If anyone wants to multi something let me know or let's find a place to do stuff

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I unlocked the second merchant and want to echo the advice of not selling the items you get from dedicated recovery missions. Those being the missions where you need to find something like a Radsource thingamabob and extract those.

The second merchant lets you sell those for tech points, speed up research points, insurance points, or gold. Mid game, you'll have a lot to research and selling those recovered items will probably be the best way to accelerate obtaining tech points and researching tech.

So basically, it's probably worth not quick extracting on those nodes to get those items even if you're speed running considering that you can hit scan from your tower on spawn, beeline it to the item, then extract with it asap.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
So I'm finally venturing into the City Ruins campaign missions. I just did a near-max extract on Hard Difficulty Level 1, and boy did that get a little hairy. Thank goodness for autoloaders.

So here is the current design I'm rocking: Ziggurat 11

CIWS are great for running anti-missile defense along with mopping up small enemies. Another nice feature is that you can configure larger artillery, like pre-war cannons, to only target medium and up enemies. They usually have only about 3-5 shells loaded without an autoloader (and even that only provides 6 extra).

Before I forget, one other tip: When fighting seraphs like Kronos, you can shoot off their weapons! Aim at the missile launchers on Kronos' shoulders and you can shoot them off. I'm running a heavy double-tap sniper gun setup, so I can usually take one off with 3-4 shots. Glowing red vents are other weakpoints. Both weapons and weakpoints drop goodies if you shoot them off.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's a drat solid gun platform. I like the clearance the various levels of gun line have, too.

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 13, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Okay, I've kind of figured out how guns work and some other things. Guns are kind of weird in this game. Below is a beginner rundown. If you want a more in-depth rundown, this was helpful in understanding some of the later unlocked options: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3212529527

Guns don't have defined primary/secondary fires. This is all done through the XEN customization. What separates gun models from each other is their passive effect such as:

• Reload while sprinting (useless now with patches) Edit: You can reload while sprinting, you just stop sprinting to do so. This may mean that you can keep running with the Cavalry gun, need to test
  • The longer you fire without reloading, the faster you fire
  • More damage from farther away
  • And number of slots for firing type

Firing types are Morph Xens. Each kind of gun comes with a default Morph Xen, but these can be freely swapped out. For example, the starter Morph Xen is just "Regular" which is a jack of all trades normal bullet. "Light" is rapid fire for less damage, and "Heavy" is a sniper bullet. You can freely inject/extract Morph Xens in different slots to change firing types. The starter gun has "Explosive Arrow" on the secondary for example (the delayed grenade launcher firing mode), but you can swap that out for whatever you like. Each type of Morph Xen consumes a different amount of ammo and has a different cooldown on firing again.

Lastly, there's the other injection Xens that are passive modifiers to your firing type. These range from pretty simple straight damage increases (Strong) to more complex ones (Pinprick). Here's a brief list of some common early game Xen modifiers and what exactly they do:

• Chain: Extra hit of damage, slower fire rate, more ammo consumed
  • Light Strike: Adds an extra hit of damage (Light Strike can stack)
  • Torment: If you hit a weakspot you deal extra instances of damage equal to 1% of the target's current HP

You can freely mess around with gun customization at the research lab and also test things at the firing range.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 11, 2024

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I am fascinated by the idea that one could very easily make a gun that is *entirely* support effects like reloading turrets, applying shields, pulling enemies into bundles for explosive shots... and it's even fairly viable since 2 of the classes will probably do more overall damage with their abilities anyway. Only Fae's Tiger squad really needs a good damaging gun.

Owl squad needs a buff, really. A free Guardian is nice but the cooldown is pretty long and it's not that much better than the already-cheap regular Guardians that don't blow up on a timer. Maybe there's some combo of upgrades rhat makes them good but I haven't seen it. Ideally I'd want to at least be able to field 3 or 4 at once, maybe with bigger weapons like the dual 30mm or a mini CIWS.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think one of the Owl Squad bubble shield perks buffs turrets in its range. Another one says it claims salvageable Resources so I want to test out if it's a way to get free building materials without needing to spend Power or Fuel. If I'm right it'll probably be as slow as the Core Tower's automatic resource claim but it could be something.

One of their guardian perks provides a similar damage buff to players, which could be nice paired with a sniper XEN.

Also, I had to make some concessions to fit my new big gun. Those Apostles won't know what hit em.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I went back and max extracted snow level 1 and this time I wasn't on my last breath as the timer ticked to 0. Having a mech's spammable AoE makes a huge difference and also finally having more than one ammo fabricator meant I could stockpile more ammo to refill my turrets.

Autoloaders take a lot of mats. Hopefully I can get those in Snow II after I do this Nebula story mission.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I was expecting a lot more from the first boss, I hosed him down with one part of a free fire cooldown.

edit: Sometimes there's loot rooms in the recovery mission, do they just expect you to have found and saved a keycard from previously?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 11, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, on the woodland maps there's a loot room in the rear that gets you a bunch of useful consumables for the wave if you saved a keycard. On the snow maps there's a big tower that you can climb for additional loot as well.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Just noticed something: You can sell drones you snatch out of the air for efficiency points! Those let you automatically complete tech research!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh I just lost my best Operative to something I wasn't aware of:

If you have an agent in the Rehab Center, rescue them right away, no matter what. I tried to earn some money to afford their treatment and they died.

Also, Railgun Apostles will absolutely aim directly at your Core Tower, no matter what the patches say.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Who is playing and wants to do coop stuff, either let me join y'all and run ammo and be helpful or join me farming boring level woods stuff.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Oh my god triangle pieces are the worst. There's a 2x2 mounting point on them that in theory you can tilt to have something mounted on top face diagonally but it's like impossible to properly orient them.

Elendil004 posted:

Who is playing and wants to do coop stuff, either let me join y'all and run ammo and be helpful or join me farming boring level woods stuff.

I would join, but I don't often have a block of time available to do a complete run, I usually just do 1 or 2 stages at a time when I have the time when I'm not busy with other stuff.

Runa posted:

I think one of the Owl Squad bubble shield perks buffs turrets in its range. Another one says it claims salvageable Resources so I want to test out if it's a way to get free building materials without needing to spend Power or Fuel. If I'm right it'll probably be as slow as the Core Tower's automatic resource claim but it could be something.

One of their guardian perks provides a similar damage buff to players, which could be nice paired with a sniper XEN.

Also, I had to make some concessions to fit my new big gun. Those Apostles won't know what hit em.

How are you building the half height levels? I tried some combination of barrier and staircases but couldn't really get it to work.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 11, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Support requirements are really weird and seemed to be bugged. I've built my base perfectly symmetrical and yet there's still support problems on one side.

I've also been using this "engine room" design for base stats and it's also buggy. Sometimes I can get all 6 crates on the top level right under the batteries, sometimes it just says nope.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

How are you building the half height levels? I tried some combination of barrier and staircases but couldn't really get it to work.

I actually used the short stairs but positioned halfway in a tile then have the Utility Tile rotated to wrap back on top of the stairs, like so:

With barriers for structural support.

It's honestly very fiddly and I kinda wish Barriers provided power support on their own, so you could use them as both power and structural support.

Structural Support really wants you to have some redundancies all around, it feels like. Pillars, internal walls, even empty door frames. You want an abundance of those in your outpost if you want to support external structures. Which you will, because not only will you want more guns you will want to avoid them getting in the way of other turrets' LOS. Vertical and horizontal clearance are both important. And so is making sure you cover all angles around the base of your Core Tower or a Railgun Apostle will donut your base in a flash, especially if it flanks you.

For batteries and material crates I just have designated areas for one or the other, you can technically stack 36 crates in a single utility tile but getting the final 9 up top is really fiddly if you're modifying an existing design with, say, other tiles on top of it. Similarly, you can also stack 4 higher-tier Material Storage crates in the same space. For batteries, three Pillars adjacent to each other can stack six batteries, three on each side.

The more advanced Battery Packs have a footprint of twelve slots, same as four batteries on six pillars... but they protrude slightly too much to be able to fit two Battery Packs facing each other the same way you might snugly fit six batteries in the same Utility Tile space.

My landship-style outpost has had even more guns and armor stapled on, thanks to that shakeup I suffered due to oversights in my design. I had sacrificed some defense for aesthetics and corrected course on that matter. Now with both a Vanguard and Ranger Cataphract, as well as two Missile Silos, an Advanced Autoloader and Damage Amplifier next to my Hellfire, and no less than eight (8!) CIWSes, I am confident I won't get blindsided again. And my Hellfire Turret is configured to only target Large or Massive enemies; the way the miniguns on the turret are arranged make hitting anything smaller than a Tank nearly impossible.

I also improved on-foot access to the central gun platform from the outside through some fiddly work with ramps, partial-height layers, small tiles, and barriers. Burst boots are still ideal for traversing the roof of the outpost but now they're not a requirement.

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 12, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I dispatched some operatives and when they were done I guess there's an option to push your luck? It wasn't clear what I was clicking on so one of my guys was missing or something? I think they're in the medical center but gently caress if I am keeping track of these chucklefucks names.

Also when building an outpost, I can't seem to understand how much power I have left to put parts on. When I add too many parts they get the no power symbol, but none of the numbers on the left change except the one that boosts the xboost field.

Edit I got two blueprints but is there any way to tell what they unlocked?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 12, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

So I dispatched some operatives and when they were done I guess there's an option to push your luck? It wasn't clear what I was clicking on so one of my guys was missing or something? I think they're in the medical center but gently caress if I am keeping track of these chucklefucks names.

Also when building an outpost, I can't seem to understand how much power I have left to put parts on. When I add too many parts they get the no power symbol, but none of the numbers on the left change except the one that boosts the xboost field.

Edit I got two blueprints but is there any way to tell what they unlocked?

Power supply is less a matter of capacity and more whether or not there are stairs to power the utility tiles on the next floor. For some reason, you need to connect different height levels via stairs and only stairs count for this. I think Zomborgon guessed it's to make sure each layer is theoretically navigable on foot.

This is also why my partial-height builds incorporate a short stair hidden under the tile at some point on that height level.

Blueprints automatically unlock stuff in the research lab, if you can't tell whether a particular tech on the list is brand new it's probably fine, you'll get it all anyway if you go down the list.

And I rarely push my luck on Dispatch missions unless the odds of success are weirdly high (80%+) or there's a reward I really want. As most stuff are white or green tier mats it's rarely a big deal. You can head straight to the med center to revive them and should do that right away if you want that operative to survive, as I learned at cost.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Alright, stairs, makes...sense....

How come I can't place anymore batteries? :D

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

iunno, maybe take a screenshot of your build screen and the thread can figure it out

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oh I guess batterie can only go at the very top of a section? Maybe that was it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just got utterly destroyed by Snow Hills lvl 1. Probably went in without enough ammo.

But, have redesigned my base anyways, rate my base:

I also put armor around the inner core which probably would have bought me enough time. I don't have stairs yet so I can't go any higher.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, Snow demolished me the first time I went through as well. The big difference when I finally succeeded was stockpiling a ton of ammo crates in my own backpack to have a reserve to refill all my turrets. After that, I finally had the research completed to make more ammo makers.

You don't need very many turrets facing backwards, just one machine gun turret should be enough. The bigger guns should all ideally face forwards. It's also a good idea to turn off light enemy targeting on the 30mm guns so they don't waste ammo on small fry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I figure the ones on the rear will help with side shots, but am I badly assuming that?