Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
EDIT: My Steam friend code is: 111689475. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to go looting and shooting.

Elendil004 posted:

I figure the ones on the rear will help with side shots, but am I badly assuming that?

Rear guns will help. Machine guns are good for taking care of the little scorpion mobs, and the light cannons will help take out some of the better armored enemies. I'd recommend making more machine guns. At early levels, most enemies come from the front, so having the majority of your guns there makes the most sense. When you move toward the Snow area, then you'll have to worry about being flanked on the sides.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Bogus Adventure posted:

My Steam handle is Avatar of Whoa. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to go looting and shooting.

I PM'd you my steam code, "Avatar of Whoa" doesnt return anyone reasonable.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You only start getting flanked in the wood/snow level if you lose your forward outposts. The better you can hold those forward bases, the less guns you need pointed to the side as well. I believe this is different in endless though.

Having one or two guns pointed backwards is helpful for exploring since you aggro every mob on the map when you extract and while you tend to explore in front of your base there's some maps where you explore the rear.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

There are also modifiers (in terms of the risk/reward end-of-exploration-day bonuses that you pick from when back in the area select zone) that will cause additional enemies- usually the Envoy troopers and the blue Nebula dudes- to be airdropped around your base. So it's good to have some degree of 360 coverage if you're selecting those.

I know nobody should give more than a single thought to the story here, but does anyone remember if the Envoys are supposed to be human collaborators, or what? I think I recall a mention of folks doing brain-uploads so there also seemed to be a chance they're android bodies.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Recovery Days:

Windy Desert is where you go when you just want to get a Local Operative recruited in the shortest time possible.

Border Woodlands eases you into things, there's barely enough stuff there to put any pressure on you even if you're using default Fae. Fae can easily take care of the boss that spawns at high difficulty with just his Free Fire mode. The only boss that spawns here is an Apostle, that's just going to a miniboss moving forward.

Snow Ruins is a big jump in difficulty from the woodlands. This is where the game starts to ramp things up. Here you get tested on your resource management and planning. It's entirely possible to hold out at the beach and never have your outpost take a shot, or ever get flanked at all, but again that requires a bit of planning and prep. If you want to hold out at the beach, which bottlenecks all of the initial advance waves, having the ability to build field turrets ("Small Artillery Platforms") is important, as is knowing how to quickly reconfigure a turret's targeting scheme from the Command Menu, as well as upgrade a Platform MG Turret to a more advanced form, like 30mm. At this stage you never want your 30mms to target anything smaller than Medium enemies. Having more than one Ammo Maker, and having both of them easily accessible while outside, will make keeping up with the ammo drain a lot more manageable. More guns, keep them supplied, try to fortify the beach the best you can if you want to minimize pressure on your base. When Robot D-Day overruns the beach, that's when the real pressure begins.

The big boss of Snow Ruins is the Kronos, it's got some very obvious glowing weakpoints and a Sniper XEN, Mammoth Squad missle boy, or a Knight cataphract can deal with it without too much difficulty. Also directly commanding, or personally operating, Prewar Artillery or 105mm guns can tear chunks off the Kronos' HP meter regardless of whether or not you hit any weakpoints. It's big and menacing but not too much of an issue, especially if you leg it. Big guy's more a gear or gun check more than anything else. Though if you don't actually have a means of dealing meaningful damage to a very large, very distant target I imagine it could be cause to call for evac.

City Ruins is an even bigger, more severe jump in difficulty than the move from woodlands to snow. It's a serious build check and will absolutely gently caress you up if your outpost is too small to have sufficient gun coverage of your front and flanking arcs with minimal LOS blocking, or sufficient armor layering to prevent your base from getting one-shot by a Railgun Apostle, or enough ammo support infrastructure to keep your guns firing, constantly, without any downtime. This one also immediately opens with flanking attacks from all angles, including some perfunctory attacks from the rear to keep you on your toes. More if you took a Risk Event that adds extra mobs. Some Risk Events are incredibly dangerous, the Envoy Ambush will actually destroy a chunk of your outpost and you will have a weakpoint in your defenses--you do not want to take it without having a few bulkheads to provide internal armor redundancies. Being able to tell which Apostle is which at a glance is also a lifesaver. Regular Apostle silhouette? That's Blade Apostle, not an issue in the slightest if your base meets the minimum firepower to handle the stage. Shield guy? Storm Apostle, kills players on foot easily (the magnetic succ + big hammer burst combo can take out even a high-defense, HP-buffed operative in one, maybe two hits) but cannot deal with mechs or turrets very well. One big gun? Railgun Apostle, delete immediately.

I recommend a bare minimum of four CIWSes with Autoloaders covering all of them, a bunch of MGs to deal with the hordes of scorpions and sweepers, and a half dozen or more 30mms all geared specifically to target Large enemies. Make sure to tweak their targeting ranges in their Config menus, for some reason the default target acquisition ranges on some guns is wildly below effective maximum. You should also have a Guardian Dispenser by this point. Whenever you build a Guardian in Exploration Days, so long as it survives, it will stick around. Build one or more Guardians at every node you visit, ideally the 30mm version if you have enough CIWS and MG coverage, and by the time Recovery Day starts you will have a veritable fleet of guns-on-wheels. Miniboss phases are basically a DPS check to kill the Railgun before it kills you and twelve or more extra 30mm guns you didn't need rare mats to build can make a big difference. This minimum will, with some difficulty, get you through the miniboss phases. But! You should probably not try to challenge the big boss with that little firepower.

The City Ruins can spawn the Kronos as your final boss but the real marquee attraction is the Crius, the flying manta ray Ace Combat superweapon from the prologue. It will swoop down and be targetable during its bombing runs, CIWSes are needed to keep your base from taking unnecessary damage here. You also need them to keep you alive during the Swarm phase, where the Crius summons a bunch of matrix drone swarms at you. They will directly chip away at your Core Tower, among other things, and will slowly damage everything they touch. The Swarms alone make this boss fight a pretty straightforward DPS race. You will need to use Command Mode to direct the free Artillery (the stage provides like, three big guns for you) to target Massive enemies at max range (150,000) if you want to be able to down the Crius in a reasonable time.

It also helps to have upgraded from Knight cataphracts to Ranger and Vanguard. They're not strictly necessary, the Vanguard and Knight Cataphract bps are acquired through Exploration so you aren't fully expected to have them. The Ranger actually requires a built Knight Cataphract as a component so it's technically also gated by exploration despite the blueprint being acquired through progression. With good Pilot traits they're some of the best damage dealers you can manually control in the game that doesn't require building a Turret Override.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 13, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I can set those turret priorities in the build mode or only in the run around on foot mode? Those settings remain/carry over?

Excellent tip for holding the beach head. I was trying and had a mine launcher but it was wildly ineffective which was annoying.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

I can set those turret priorities in the build mode or only in the run around on foot mode? Those settings remain/carry over?

Excellent tip for holding the beach head. I was trying and had a mine launcher but it was wildly ineffective which was annoying.

Yep, you can do it in Build Mode. There's a button on the upper right that lets you directly modify Config Settings, you manage turrets individually or as a group. These settings will carry over every time you start a new run. Doing it on foot only lasts for that single run, and then reverts to your Build Config after.

The snow ruins mine launcher and tower turret are weirdly placed, I think they're supposed to be last resort options? But if things get bad enough to consider them I'm probably already hoofing it to the evac lol

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For holding the beach on snow, that's where I found having a huge surplus of supplies going into the map and a large supply cap to be really helpful. I'm only on Snow III at the moment but I was able to max extract it last night without losing the forwardmost base by immediately putting down 3 MG turrets up front, rallying my ~8 guardians I had built over the course of the exploration to the front lines ASAP and then constantly rebuilding turrets and defensive walls as I got more scrap from killing enemies. This was on top of deploying the extra consumable turrets I got from the perk and filling my inventory with like 8 ammo packs so I could refill turrets that don't get destroyed and liberally using all the elemental ammo I picked up during the run between using Free Fire on CD to conserve ammo on the turrets as well.

I copied the general design of Runa's launch runway for my outpost and it was amazing seeing my mech launch off the ramp and into the fray partway through the fight.

One additional tip is that having really high core energy is a massive force multiplier for holding the front outpost. I had ~600 core energy which was a huge difference from my initial forays into snow which probably hovered around 200 at max. You can get more core energy by spamming Small Generators in your base builds, but you can also improve it by using the Titan Spikes in charging mode. In the snow map, the damage the Titan Spikes do isn't that important, but the fact that each gives 20 core energy means you still want to build them just for that.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What do you do with the mission items like composite fiber container and control cores and stuff? Once you're back at base?

edit: is there a guide to hidden pickups in the main base?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 13, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You will eventually unlock a secondary merchant who will purchase those items from you. By selling it to her you will get things other than gold such as tech points or acceleration points to speed up research. It's random which items she accepts and what they sell for so you may have to reroll the shop several times if you have a surplus of a specific recovery item.

Also, the best way to farm items is a little unintuitive and honestly a little boring. You want to stack every single gold generating perk and completely full clear every map of goodies. Alternatively, you quick explore until you get offered an extraction->gold perk and then full loot from there on out. You can easily get upwards of 70k gold in the snow levels by doing this. From there, you just constantly reroll and buy out the shop. Doing this will generate gold drops much much faster than trying to search for them on maps. Make sure you have enough base personnel assigned to the base to get discounts on prices and expanded selection of goods.

I was able to buy like 2 CIWS turrets and 6 control modules by doing this on top of a crap ton of raw materials for my base which really powered up my base.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Elendil004 posted:

What do you do with the mission items like composite fiber container and control cores and stuff? Once you're back at base?

edit: is there a guide to hidden pickups in the main base?

I believe the hidden pickups are mainly just paint jobs, but I believe there is a wiki up now that has a guide on where to find them? They aren't too hard to find, though. Just run around. If you get lost, teleport somewhere else and try again.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, I just stumbled into Crius after maxing out the extraction timer for City Ruins difficulty 2. I figured, "What's the worst that could happen?" drat, that fucker is humbling to run into. I had just pimped out my outpost with missile silos, smart mortars, a crapton of CIWS, and autoloaders. Everything was going pretty smoothly until it showed up. I just barely survived long enough to call for an extraction.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it does feel like the Crius specifically is an Artillery gear check. Feels like the game's asking, do you have more than a couple of Prewar Artillery cannons on board? If not, this one could be rough.

The Diff 2 version of the map gives you a handful of free pre-deployed Artillery pieces up on the structures above and behind the outpost, which help if you set them to auto-attack Direct Fire, Massive only, max range. Or just manually Command them solo in bullet-time.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The Co-op goons discord is as good enough a place as any to rally up, you can find me there with the same username as here. https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It's a youtube video but it's blessedly short and to the point: All the hidden paint schemes in the base, some are pretty devilish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAI648qELYI

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
How are you supposed to manage inventory during Infinity Siege? I read that that's a better place to get gear instead of materials and while that may be true I was constantly starved of inventory space and have no idea where to store all the stuff I get during the mission.

The container at your outpost is gone and while there is a separate container to store stuff it doesn't store all that much.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Eventually you unlock a cargo drone for your outpost that can send back a 4x4 grid's worth at the cost of 30 power, which is on a several minute cooldown, but you can build multiple. Anything larger you'll have to toss in the provided containers or take via your backpack on extraction.

Otherwise, inventory management is going to come down to tossing poo poo on the ground or, in the case of ammunition, slotting it into autoloaders.

It would be nice to have a locker for managing stuff mid-run, but I guess it wouldn't make a lot of sense that you can't take stuff back that way.

One thing that may help with deployables (like turrets and titan spikes) is to remember that you can use the "hold it" option to carry them around, then deploy, the same as if you added it to your backpack and used the equipment wheel to retrieve it. "Hold it" just avoids the part where you need to make backpack space.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Cargo Drone is also just plain useful to reduce pressure on Recovery Day by offloading a bunch of the loot directly to your base. I managed to do two full-loot City Ruins runs that just barely spawned the Crius and almost nothing else in the final wave by judiciously pre-sending all of the non-Purple/Orange/Red mats* and valuables I wanted to keep. In my Diff 3 run I almost didn't have enough loot left in my container to spawn the Crius if not for the abundance of antique manga I had sitting in the box.

The main downsides to the Cargo Drone are the 30 Power cost, the 400 second cooldown, the limited 4x4 grid capacity, and the fact that in co-op, only the player who actually clicks the button to send the Cargo Drone gets the loot.

*This is because I always hunt for Risk Events that multiply the Epic or better material drops. Getting a single Cruiser Cannon barrel that turns into 2 or 3 after Recovery Day, or two Xenium Soils that turn to 4 or 6, is a huge deal and lets you speed up the grind for the rarest top-tier mats. They're pretty dangerous. Two of them which add +1 per stack of high-tier mat wildly buff Tanks while the third multiplier Risk Event, which straight up doubles high-tier mat stacks, hugely buffs all enemies including bosses.

My outpost has reached a point where this is no longer really an issue if I'm playing solo and can activate bullet time to micro my Command Mode on demand, even from in a mech.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well, poo poo on the cargo drone if it wont work in coop, but still good to know!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my mouse wheel is slightly janky which usually doesn't matter. but dang, this game does not allow for that. it's all mouse wheel, all the time. it's a neat game, but i guess i'll put it on hold until i replace my mouse.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Wow, wasn't expecting to have to go into endless for a story mission, but I guess it makes more sense now.

It looks like the general way the first level of endless works is that after every round the furthest out tower spawns in a random assortment of placeables, building materials, and other gear. I assume as endless goes on, you can no longer hold the further out outposts and eventually get pushed back to your main outpost.

At that point, is holding out just for drops from higher tier enemies since there's no more Promothean Cores to give you building mats/gear?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have been playing coop with my friend and somehow he has the autoloader but I do not, how could that have happened?

Also, how the gently caress does power work, i build stairs but walls next to them, walls connected to them, walls connected to tiles connected to them, nothing stays powered.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's all about floor tiles. For some reason only floor tiles transfer power and stairs are used to connect one level of floor tiles to another. While trying to make pretty landships I got real acquainted with how wack the build system is.

Also it's been so long I forgot exactly where and when you get the Autoloader. Maybe it's because only the host technically gets objectives cleared when doing main campaign stuff? I don't think the autoloader is a pickup blueprint.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
To craft the autoloader requires 6 gold mats (2 Nanochips and 4 Control Modules). I think it is incredibly unlikely that you will have found all those materials (not to mention that CIWS turrets need Control Modules too) through exploration at a normal pace through the snow levels (estimating normal pace being full extractions 2x times on each level before advancing to the next). I certainly didn't and used the shop refreshing in order to get enough materials to build the autoloader.

I'm not sure if autoloader is from a blueprint or progression in the story, but if it's the former he might have found it on a map before you. I'm not sure how blueprints are shared through extractions between players but I would guess they aren't and you'd need to take some time to find it yourself.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 14, 2024

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I think the autoloader blueprint drops in the Snow maps (normal difficulty). It's just a pain in the rear end to grind out the mats for them. One thing that is nice is that you can buy an autoloader from the trade outpost if you're lucky.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It's worth noting that some of the maps with blueprints are so large that the base scan function probably won't uncover them unless you're revisiting the stages way later and have an absurd amount of core energy. Purple and higher tier Scan Gloves have 2 charges for the scan which makes making sure you're not missing any loot much easier in far away areas.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You can also talk to one of the researchers (not Yulia) to find out which levels still have missing blueprints.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There is something mildly funny about seeing an Advanced Ammo Maker dump a box of ammo onto a conveyor belt, and watching that conveyor belt dump that box into an Advanced Autoloader's pickup zone to get crane game'd.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've run into what appears to be the first real gear check, the Kronos Omega in that one story mission. At this point I've got a couple each of 30mm and CIWS plus some MGs on the sides. Those seem reasonably capable of holding off the chaff and missiles, but do not seem to have the range to actually hit the Omega before it simply blaps me with its railgun. Meanwhile just me plinking away at it with my personal gun can take off maybe 30%. And that's with slightly abusing the mission triggers to get a whole bunch of Guardians and Ammo Boxes ready.

Is there some important blueprint I have missed (e.g. long-ranged artillery) or do I just need to farm for more/better XEN for my gun?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I found that my best DPS against Kronos Omega was actually just a rapid core gun and Free Fire. I did have a barrel that reduced fire rate for more damage and a Xen that increased bullet speed so it was easier to hit Kronos. The glowing orange-red spots are weak points and if you focus fire those enough you can force the boss to stagger and kneel down.

That aside, yes, there is artillery available by that point in the story. It's in one of the snow maps. Like I mentioned earlier the base scan function is unlikely to be able to find it so you'll want to bring scan gloves on the bigger maps when you're looking for it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Does the level, 1, 2, or 3 affect potential blueprints or am i just as likely on level 1 as level 3 of a given area that has them?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can get the bp for Prewar Artillery from the Prototype Factory (the Greg Factory) node in the Snow Ruins.

Difficulty level doesn't affect bp spawns, which are set.

E: Also, in the Kronos Omega mission, I believe when Levy says he's sending reinforcements, what he means is he actually sends like a squadron of guardians backed up by a Vanguard Cataphract which spawn somewhere behind your outpost.

The Vanguard's siege mode alone should be able to solo a Kronos without difficulty. You may need to resupply it with ammo though, as each siege shot takes a whole box's worth.

Runa fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 14, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think levels 3 and 4 of the snow fields have more nodes so if you full clear every map you'll have more luck on those.

https://outpostinfinitysiege.game-vault.net/wiki/Research_Blueprint_Locations

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

A mecha can also help with Kronos. That was how I took it down the first time. I like playing with marksman guns, so now I just snipe the weak points from the top of my outpost.

You can also make the Kronos fights easier by shooting off the missiles and guns. Prioritize shooting off its shoulder missile launchers. That will stop the missile barrages and let your guns focus on shooting Kronos rather than missiles.

Just got the mats to make my Ranger hangar and it is so loving sweet. Now I have a mecha that can fly. It rules.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I've been trying to figure out how to use Damage Amplifiers, and this thread shows some pretty creative ways to set them up near turrets.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1566690/discussions/0/4368003413704989255/

Also, I'd recommend setting up multiple staircases in your base if you have multiple levels on your base. I had an extraction go south because a railgun acolyte blasted through my wall and blew up my only staircase. That effectively knocked out all of my weapons, and that sucked. I just made a redundant set of stairs going to each level to avoid that from happening again.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there an easy "remove everything and start over" to base construction? I powered through a couple ATC upgrades and doing it all manually is rough.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I think if you just make a new layout setting (on the screen before the actual Edit Outpost interface) it will start you with a blank tower. Plus it will keep your prior layout if you need it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Update to the Kronos Omega mission: Turns out it wasn't my loadout, the mission just bugged out, three times in a row. Every time it failed to spawn the reinforcements, which left me woefully undergunned. Fourth time turned out to be the charm, and with a the three vanguards it really was no problem to kill the Omega.

Game is fun, but man it's also jank as hell. On that fourth attempt the various audio cues also bugged the hell out, with the characters repeating themselves and talking over each other.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, the jank keeps it from being a GOTY all year. It does so much right, but it also does a lot wrong. It does work in your favor sometimes. The pursuers/chasers are so dumb and slow that they are a joke to fight. Having orange and red resources stuck under the ground is less fun. :negative:

At least the devs are hard at work fixing it. It's a thousand times better from where it started, especially with item stacks now being a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Update to the Kronos Omega mission: Turns out it wasn't my loadout, the mission just bugged out, three times in a row. Every time it failed to spawn the reinforcements, which left me woefully undergunned. Fourth time turned out to be the charm, and with a the three vanguards it really was no problem to kill the Omega.

Game is fun, but man it's also jank as hell. On that fourth attempt the various audio cues also bugged the hell out, with the characters repeating themselves and talking over each other.

oofa doofa

glad you're through it, yeesh