Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I do appreciate that each operative type gets some kind of free kill ability- free fire, missiles, the Guardian, or sword strikes. Really with the exception of the Guardian buddy- on account of the long cooldown- you can comfortably do most exploration while blowing a minimum of ammo.

One thing I have wondered at- when on a tour, the clock goes red after a certain hour. Does that do anything? I get the impression that if not, there was at least once some kind of general exploration time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Speaking of, it turns out the blueprints in the School node are pretty key ones.

I had never seen that node across several runs, even fully clearing out the map a couple times, and had moved onto the Snow zone for a while before I eventually just quick-looted the woods several times until it finally showed. Ah well, glad that I can actually research some Deciphers at last. Might be a while before I can build them though.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I think that the intent of requiring stairs is to push you to make an actual navigable base rather than just a pyramid of turrets, hence not connecting via pillars. But yeah ramps absolutely should, given that.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 6, 2024

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Hyper Inferno posted:

Is the CIWS significantly more powerful than other turret types? I saw that was a premium edition bonus and thought it was just a skin or variant of some sort.

Both of the premium turrets have base game equivalents that unlock at the same time. I.e. the premium type 30 CIWS is unlocked when you research the standard CIWS.

According to chatter on the steam discussion board, the Type 30 CIWS is just cosmetic. The Viper Chain gun has different stats- it fires twice as fast as the dual 30mm cannon, but does half the damage and uses half the ammo per shot. So it's pretty much equivalent, except when it saves a shot by not overkilling a target I guess. Not worth worrying about.

The standard CIWS is a straight upgrade over the starting MG turret, with better range, HP, ammo efficiency, and the ability to shoot down missiles. It is a bit larger, but not much.

Elendil004 posted:

Is coop the kind of thing where a level 1000 boss ubergoon can come help out a newb or vice versa, a newb can join and do something minorly useful?

Absolutely both, having another pair of hands is a huge benefit in itself- carting around ammo boxes and monitoring turret supplies, commanding turrets and other allied units to focus down certain targets, all sorts of micro that has no requirements based on your own progress.

Meanwhile a properly kitted high-tier character can orders of magnitude more damage than a full midgame outpost. The only thing that you lose out on in co-op is you don't get the slow motion ability (pressing space to toggle) in command mode or while viewing your backpack.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

If anyone is wondering, CIWS is commonly pronounced "Sea-Wiz"

Yes that does get the letters in the wrong order. I guess not every weapon gets a cute backronym so we all have collectively decided to pretend it does to save ourselves from making weird coughing noises.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Yes, lumber is notably used for material containers, and ore is used in a few base materials that then build into several structures. That said, you can get a good amount of those materials from other sources (such as the shop and dispatch missions, which you unlock later) so burn what you need to.

That or just spend a run on grabbing an absolute ton of lumber and immediately bug out.

Relatedly, blowing up supermarket shelves drops scrap metal. You can carry 100 in a single 4 tile inventory stack so it's not a bad option, especially if you have the gloves or xen mods to vacuum up everything in an area. That said the shop can often five you a stack of 50 instantly for cheap.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah i'm expecting to have to manually loot objective nodes, that's not that big a deal. if i can quick loot 3 times or w/e on a tour, then do one actual scavenge mission at the end before recovery day, that's pretty good

by the way while scavenging, if stuff is locked by keycard/needs a power cable, is it guaranteed that there's one in the level? a few times i'd come upon a locked door that i could not find the unlock requirements for even after using the base scan

No guarantees; you can bring keycards with you on a mission, though. I've definitely seen power cell doors on maps without them available.

One trick with cells is that if you have one in-hand when you "end exploration," you will have it in hand on the next area. It may turn invisible, but you can throw it and it'll show up. The same works for anything else you can hold, as far as I can tell.

You can hook up a power cable to your base to juice it up. The main tower is most reliable but other components should work- I think the platform does not. Otherwise, yeah, if you hook up the cable to a door or whatever that requires power, thqt will also work- though it's wasted if you don't get enough power units in the course of your throw. Best to just power up your outpost and spend power via interaction.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I am fascinated by the idea that one could very easily make a gun that is *entirely* support effects like reloading turrets, applying shields, pulling enemies into bundles for explosive shots... and it's even fairly viable since 2 of the classes will probably do more overall damage with their abilities anyway. Only Fae's Tiger squad really needs a good damaging gun.

Owl squad needs a buff, really. A free Guardian is nice but the cooldown is pretty long and it's not that much better than the already-cheap regular Guardians that don't blow up on a timer. Maybe there's some combo of upgrades rhat makes them good but I haven't seen it. Ideally I'd want to at least be able to field 3 or 4 at once, maybe with bigger weapons like the dual 30mm or a mini CIWS.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

There are also modifiers (in terms of the risk/reward end-of-exploration-day bonuses that you pick from when back in the area select zone) that will cause additional enemies- usually the Envoy troopers and the blue Nebula dudes- to be airdropped around your base. So it's good to have some degree of 360 coverage if you're selecting those.

I know nobody should give more than a single thought to the story here, but does anyone remember if the Envoys are supposed to be human collaborators, or what? I think I recall a mention of folks doing brain-uploads so there also seemed to be a chance they're android bodies.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Eventually you unlock a cargo drone for your outpost that can send back a 4x4 grid's worth at the cost of 30 power, which is on a several minute cooldown, but you can build multiple. Anything larger you'll have to toss in the provided containers or take via your backpack on extraction.

Otherwise, inventory management is going to come down to tossing poo poo on the ground or, in the case of ammunition, slotting it into autoloaders.

It would be nice to have a locker for managing stuff mid-run, but I guess it wouldn't make a lot of sense that you can't take stuff back that way.

One thing that may help with deployables (like turrets and titan spikes) is to remember that you can use the "hold it" option to carry them around, then deploy, the same as if you added it to your backpack and used the equipment wheel to retrieve it. "Hold it" just avoids the part where you need to make backpack space.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I think if you just make a new layout setting (on the screen before the actual Edit Outpost interface) it will start you with a blank tower. Plus it will keep your prior layout if you need it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, the autoloader is quite valuable just as a way to stow ammo. Any ammo or shells in an autoloader or ammo maker also gets extracted at the end of recovery, so there's every reason to bring in a full stock of ammo boxes for however many loaders you have.

Other inventory tricks:
-anything you have held in-hand will persist with you from day to day, and can get extracted with you. You can use this to take along things that don't fit in your pack, like power cells or turret guns (though I don't think those extract with you, sadly).
-pack mules will also persist their inventory day-to-day and extract if you bring them into the lander with you.
-at some point your backpack will be larger than the grid shown in recovery day. Hope that gets fixed, but for now, make sure that your bottom row (and any additional blocks of space from end-of-day events) are full up on stuff you want to take with you on the last day.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 24, 2024

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I did just finish the story myself, it was indeed rather abrupt, particularly given that I melted the boss before its arrival announcement dialogue. It was still cool though. I also enjoyed seeing the development footage in the credits- they've come a long way.

One thing they could stand to add could be more varied exploration objectives. The little power puzzles and such are good for variety, but it'd be nice to have a bigger combat challenge. Maybe an objective building you need to shoot your way through before it fires a missile at your outpost- nothing big enough to destroy most parts right out, but a big wide-area blast that makes things more fragile later or require a patch-up. Something like that. That would also be a good use for Guardian followers.

As far as support fire modes go, I found myself quite fond of the flare marker. Being helpful for low-light conditions is a benefit in itself, and the damage boosts on marked enemies do save a few shots each.
I also found that using a double-shot or scattershot barrel can be quite good on the ammo loader XEN. The latter was multiplying the ammunition economy quite a lot- I got it up to 450 turret ammunition for a cost of 76 bullets, so that's a savings of 6 times over. Great for topping off turrets, keeps you out of the scuffle when supplying your front line, and cheap enough that looted pyro and cryo rounds mostly covered the cost. I wasn't using non-electro ammo for much anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Nice! I'm definitely going to need to rework a few things to get more artillery- especially now that I have discovered the automatic shell-crafter that unlocks after all the available story missions.

New patch today did a number of things, but the biggest is the shop's offerings got expanded and the stock deepened by a lot- after a few rolls I saw offerings like:
-5 recruitment beacons
-100 fiber
-20 material crates
-50 capacitors and liquid metal
-10 armored panels
-5 CIWS
-10 control modules (!!!!)

Money runs are looking more attractive than ever, and they were already good.

They also plan for the next major content drop near the end of the month.