Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
This got onto my radar because of the potentially asymmetric multiplayer, has anyone had a chance to do a run down on that? Like the concept of one person in charge of handling the base building with a bird's eye view of the combat zone and telling the people in FPS view to cover certain zones from the enemy mobs seemed very appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I know that the initial complaint about multiplayer was that only the host got meaningful progress, but that's been patched. The devs have been very aggressively patching the game since release to address issues and this was in the notes although I'm not quite sure what it means.

quote:

@everyone Commanders,
Thank you for your valuable feedback and your patience.
As previously promised, we have just released a significant patch addressing many of the issues you've been concerned about, including adjustments to the multiplayer gameplay.
We hope this update makes your game experience better.
Thank you!

[Patch Notes] v1.0-732f499.2024.0330.23
[General]
1. In Multi-player mode, materials/valuables/consumables recovered by the Recovery fleet will now be distributed among all participating explorers (The distribution method for Gear and XEN will be implemented in a future update.) The specific rules are as follows:
a) Client players who participate in Exploration Days for longer periods will receive more loot at the end.
b) Items placed in the container by the host on Recovery Day and successfully recovered will be duplicated for each client player. (Excluding Gear and XEN, which are being discussed by the team)
2. Participation in Multi-player mode now allows progression in base missions(provided the player and host are at the same progress level).
3. Insurance is now available for green and blue quality gear.
4. Enemies in Exploration Days (both roaming enemies and airdropped enemies from"Danger Ahead") will now drop various types of Gear and materials.
5. The merchant store's product refresh logic has been optimized.
6. Increased the probability of encountering the Mag Expansion Risk Event.
7. The initial size of the container at the outpost has been increased from 4 to 5 rows.
8. Entering Infinity Siege mode no longer consumes fuel.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Can you jump into multiplayer right away or is it highly recommended to play some tutorial levels to get your bearings?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I bought the game. Haven't gotten a chance to go through the tutorial but I'm liking the activity of the devs so far so I figured for $20 might as well give it a shot.

Much later edit: Unlocked the shop. Game is shaping up to be really good if it keeps unlocking stuff at this pace. I cleared out every node in the previous outing but was really low on power by the end of it. Wish I had actually crafted some lockpicks. I really like how the game gives you like 3 options to open every locked door you come across.

Honestly it feels a little bit like a rogue-lite on top of every other genre this game is trying to be. The randomized loot is like the low level loot you get after each floor, the terminals you power up are like the slightly better loot that you don't always get, and the perk you get after clearing each node is like a run-wide bonus.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 6, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
My next mission is to find a blueprint in the wooded area so I'll try to max out the run again like I did last time.

What exactly is the third base stat? I understand what supplies and power do, but what's the generated power stat or whatever the third stat below the other two do? And why do I have the option to dismantle the thingy with the lightning bolt inside my base? Is that like an emergency power reserve or something?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I've been using the 150 materials to 15 energy option a lot, but haven't noticed the 300 to 30. It's the same ratio though so I guess it just bypasses the cool down on the conversion.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I had some combat miners show up on recovery day on the first mission set that was still tutorializing some stuff, what do those do?

Also, I like the fact that the game gives you some tension in exploring quickly by allowing you to activate terminals for free if you get to them fast enough at each node.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Oof I just spent like an hour and a half on a mission only to get one shot by a rocket on recovery day.

Does quick explore guarantee that it'll grab all the loot available in a node? I might want to just spam that and then clear out a node to regain energy to clear out a map.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Okay, good to know. I'll probably do some quick explores to just catch myself back up. I didn't have much stuff since I'm still so early in the game but I had found like enough pieces to build two more turrets, a broken drone, some 700+ gold value sellable gun, and most annoyingly lost a grenade launcher hand piece when all the other hand pieces I've found so far have been scan gloves.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm going to try doing co-op with friends later this week, it's not entirely drop-in and out and it remains to be seen how well the scaling will work out if you have a member of your friend group who tends to get absorbed and rocket ahead in terms of progression.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Is the CIWS significantly more powerful than other turret types? I saw that was a premium edition bonus and thought it was just a skin or variant of some sort.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The nice thing with all the moving parts of this game is that it all seems pretty easily tweakable numbers-wise. So while the devs have to worry about creating a nice balanced experience between exploring and extracting, it feels like modders would be able to tilt the scales toward one direction or the other eventually.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think quick loot is for when you just want to grind materials to get stuff for your base, while regular exploration is for when there's specific objectives you want to get within the maps. Like there's special blueprints hidden on certain nodes that I believe you'd want to go out and explore to actually get but the small outpost areas are probably fine to just hit quick explore if you don't care about maximizing loot.

It also makes sense in terms of energy income tension. If you fully explore every map, you'll never be at risk of running out of energy as harvesting lumber is net positive energy and you'll naturally pick up a bunch of ore to also convert to energy. But if you throw in a mixture of quick explores then you'll need to more carefully manage your energy.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Before I knew I could convert random junk into energy I extracted a ton of lumber and ore. Are they actually used for any crafting recipes? If not, is there a way I can bring them back out of my warehouse and with me into a mission or should I just sell them?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Plus the game incentives you to speed run exploration days with the perks that give bonuses that fade over time and the free terminals for the beginning of each day.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What's the difference between base operative and local operative? I unlocked two base operatives from loot drops I think, but the local operatives don't seem to be able to be assigned to anything and I can just take them on a expedition?

Edit: Nvm, read the sticky, gotta do an easy run with the local operatives first before I can recruit them I guess. I need more lumber anyway so I'll try an easy run with them.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Dropped into a random co-op game after getting annihilated trying to max extract the snowy level on difficulty 1.

Co-op is a ton of fun even with no voice comms. I joined a player who was clearly much further ahead but I could still contribute quite a lot since I had a ton of mobility. I could rocket up the towers/loot ceilings quickly and even on recovery day when the bosses spawned my low level gear was enough to keep scorpions at bay while the host got into his mech for a 1v1 against the bosses.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Against better judgment I tried to max extract the snow level again. Made the timer with 2% left on the outpost and just bailed.

Got a lot blueprints and research from that run. I think this means I should do some easier woodland stuff to clear out my research queue before trying that same difficulty again.

I guess this'll be a good time to use someone other than Fae since I played a Hare character and I really liked the Genji sword dash.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 9, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
How do I activate auto-loot? I see I researched it and there's a couple upgrades for it too but I still have to manually click on stuff and am not just hoovering up everything in my vicinity as I pass by.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
GOTY

Edit: Wow, I should look at my gacha recruit talents more closely.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 9, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Elendil004 posted:

Ok after 3.2 hours I have unlocked multiplayer. I have a few questions.

I bought a thing to recruit people but I cant see where to use it? There are two recruits on Nightingale but the only button there is "remove" which feels like taking them out of the squad?

Am I to believe that the outpost drives around on those little legs but I fly in and out of the main battles?

When I go into explore? mode? the run around loot stuff then recover in 10 seconds mode, im power limited on how many places i can explore. Are there ways in map to recover power? I think I found an arcade basketball game which seemed to maybe give me power back?

The recruit thing is used at the barracks, but I think you can start getting recruit cards before the option to actually gain recruits shows up. The two recruits on Nightingale are recruits that you have to run a mission with to turn them into "real" recruits. It can be the tutorial zone if you want to just speedrun it. You buy recruits with the cards and it's like a gacha (on top of every other genre this game is trying to do). The pictures I posted earlier are from two random recruits. The recruits can have wildly varying skill trees so it's luck of the draw on what you get.

Pretty sure the outpost drives around, you get dropped off. That's why in between the explore missions you're in that little room; it's supposed to be in the plane I think.

There's three ways to get back power with the default base. You can convert materials to power using the power generator in your base and you can use the Command mode (default button M) to open up the abilities of your base where you can have your core tower convert 300 materials to 30 power, or have the power generator convert 150 materials to 15 power (this is the same option as before, just accessed through a menu rather than in person). The advantage to using the command menu is that you can do it from anywhere. The third way is to dump unwanted items into the thingy with the lightning bolt in your base that says "Disassemble" when you hover over it. That gives you energy based on the rarity of the goods you throw into it. There's always a ton of ore just littering the ground. Harvesting big trees is net energy positive (6 energy for 3 lumber and 40 materials) and so is harvesting small/big wreckages (18 energy for 200 materials, 25 energy for 300 materials) and this can become even more positive if you find the random perk on your tour that gives you more materials when harvesting. Otherwise, you'll want to steal the battery packs out of drones before they fly away, or if you get really lucky, find a big battery that gives you back +50. Tires are just free materials.

Materials are also used for ammo generation (100 for 1 box), and constructing buildings.

For that basketball game before you start throwing balls into the hoop you want to check around it for more balls. It takes a while for the balls to roll back down so having more balls makes it way easier to max out the game.

Edit: I have a question of my own. How do you actually type in game? I want to try out that recruit ability but I can't actually find the keybind to type.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 10, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I unlocked the second merchant and want to echo the advice of not selling the items you get from dedicated recovery missions. Those being the missions where you need to find something like a Radsource thingamabob and extract those.

The second merchant lets you sell those for tech points, speed up research points, insurance points, or gold. Mid game, you'll have a lot to research and selling those recovered items will probably be the best way to accelerate obtaining tech points and researching tech.

So basically, it's probably worth not quick extracting on those nodes to get those items even if you're speed running considering that you can hit scan from your tower on spawn, beeline it to the item, then extract with it asap.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Okay, I've kind of figured out how guns work and some other things. Guns are kind of weird in this game. Below is a beginner rundown. If you want a more in-depth rundown, this was helpful in understanding some of the later unlocked options: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3212529527

Guns don't have defined primary/secondary fires. This is all done through the XEN customization. What separates gun models from each other is their passive effect such as:

• Reload while sprinting (useless now with patches) Edit: You can reload while sprinting, you just stop sprinting to do so. This may mean that you can keep running with the Cavalry gun, need to test
  • The longer you fire without reloading, the faster you fire
  • More damage from farther away
  • And number of slots for firing type

Firing types are Morph Xens. Each kind of gun comes with a default Morph Xen, but these can be freely swapped out. For example, the starter Morph Xen is just "Regular" which is a jack of all trades normal bullet. "Light" is rapid fire for less damage, and "Heavy" is a sniper bullet. You can freely inject/extract Morph Xens in different slots to change firing types. The starter gun has "Explosive Arrow" on the secondary for example (the delayed grenade launcher firing mode), but you can swap that out for whatever you like. Each type of Morph Xen consumes a different amount of ammo and has a different cooldown on firing again.

Lastly, there's the other injection Xens that are passive modifiers to your firing type. These range from pretty simple straight damage increases (Strong) to more complex ones (Pinprick). Here's a brief list of some common early game Xen modifiers and what exactly they do:

• Chain: Extra hit of damage, slower fire rate, more ammo consumed
  • Light Strike: Adds an extra hit of damage (Light Strike can stack)
  • Torment: If you hit a weakspot you deal extra instances of damage equal to 1% of the target's current HP

You can freely mess around with gun customization at the research lab and also test things at the firing range.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 11, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I went back and max extracted snow level 1 and this time I wasn't on my last breath as the timer ticked to 0. Having a mech's spammable AoE makes a huge difference and also finally having more than one ammo fabricator meant I could stockpile more ammo to refill my turrets.

Autoloaders take a lot of mats. Hopefully I can get those in Snow II after I do this Nebula story mission.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, on the woodland maps there's a loot room in the rear that gets you a bunch of useful consumables for the wave if you saved a keycard. On the snow maps there's a big tower that you can climb for additional loot as well.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Oh my god triangle pieces are the worst. There's a 2x2 mounting point on them that in theory you can tilt to have something mounted on top face diagonally but it's like impossible to properly orient them.

Elendil004 posted:

Who is playing and wants to do coop stuff, either let me join y'all and run ammo and be helpful or join me farming boring level woods stuff.

I would join, but I don't often have a block of time available to do a complete run, I usually just do 1 or 2 stages at a time when I have the time when I'm not busy with other stuff.

Runa posted:

I think one of the Owl Squad bubble shield perks buffs turrets in its range. Another one says it claims salvageable Resources so I want to test out if it's a way to get free building materials without needing to spend Power or Fuel. If I'm right it'll probably be as slow as the Core Tower's automatic resource claim but it could be something.

One of their guardian perks provides a similar damage buff to players, which could be nice paired with a sniper XEN.

Also, I had to make some concessions to fit my new big gun. Those Apostles won't know what hit em.

How are you building the half height levels? I tried some combination of barrier and staircases but couldn't really get it to work.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 11, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Support requirements are really weird and seemed to be bugged. I've built my base perfectly symmetrical and yet there's still support problems on one side.

I've also been using this "engine room" design for base stats and it's also buggy. Sometimes I can get all 6 crates on the top level right under the batteries, sometimes it just says nope.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, Snow demolished me the first time I went through as well. The big difference when I finally succeeded was stockpiling a ton of ammo crates in my own backpack to have a reserve to refill all my turrets. After that, I finally had the research completed to make more ammo makers.

You don't need very many turrets facing backwards, just one machine gun turret should be enough. The bigger guns should all ideally face forwards. It's also a good idea to turn off light enemy targeting on the 30mm guns so they don't waste ammo on small fry.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You only start getting flanked in the wood/snow level if you lose your forward outposts. The better you can hold those forward bases, the less guns you need pointed to the side as well. I believe this is different in endless though.

Having one or two guns pointed backwards is helpful for exploring since you aggro every mob on the map when you extract and while you tend to explore in front of your base there's some maps where you explore the rear.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For holding the beach on snow, that's where I found having a huge surplus of supplies going into the map and a large supply cap to be really helpful. I'm only on Snow III at the moment but I was able to max extract it last night without losing the forwardmost base by immediately putting down 3 MG turrets up front, rallying my ~8 guardians I had built over the course of the exploration to the front lines ASAP and then constantly rebuilding turrets and defensive walls as I got more scrap from killing enemies. This was on top of deploying the extra consumable turrets I got from the perk and filling my inventory with like 8 ammo packs so I could refill turrets that don't get destroyed and liberally using all the elemental ammo I picked up during the run between using Free Fire on CD to conserve ammo on the turrets as well.

I copied the general design of Runa's launch runway for my outpost and it was amazing seeing my mech launch off the ramp and into the fray partway through the fight.

One additional tip is that having really high core energy is a massive force multiplier for holding the front outpost. I had ~600 core energy which was a huge difference from my initial forays into snow which probably hovered around 200 at max. You can get more core energy by spamming Small Generators in your base builds, but you can also improve it by using the Titan Spikes in charging mode. In the snow map, the damage the Titan Spikes do isn't that important, but the fact that each gives 20 core energy means you still want to build them just for that.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You will eventually unlock a secondary merchant who will purchase those items from you. By selling it to her you will get things other than gold such as tech points or acceleration points to speed up research. It's random which items she accepts and what they sell for so you may have to reroll the shop several times if you have a surplus of a specific recovery item.

Also, the best way to farm items is a little unintuitive and honestly a little boring. You want to stack every single gold generating perk and completely full clear every map of goodies. Alternatively, you quick explore until you get offered an extraction->gold perk and then full loot from there on out. You can easily get upwards of 70k gold in the snow levels by doing this. From there, you just constantly reroll and buy out the shop. Doing this will generate gold drops much much faster than trying to search for them on maps. Make sure you have enough base personnel assigned to the base to get discounts on prices and expanded selection of goods.

I was able to buy like 2 CIWS turrets and 6 control modules by doing this on top of a crap ton of raw materials for my base which really powered up my base.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
How are you supposed to manage inventory during Infinity Siege? I read that that's a better place to get gear instead of materials and while that may be true I was constantly starved of inventory space and have no idea where to store all the stuff I get during the mission.

The container at your outpost is gone and while there is a separate container to store stuff it doesn't store all that much.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Wow, wasn't expecting to have to go into endless for a story mission, but I guess it makes more sense now.

It looks like the general way the first level of endless works is that after every round the furthest out tower spawns in a random assortment of placeables, building materials, and other gear. I assume as endless goes on, you can no longer hold the further out outposts and eventually get pushed back to your main outpost.

At that point, is holding out just for drops from higher tier enemies since there's no more Promothean Cores to give you building mats/gear?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
To craft the autoloader requires 6 gold mats (2 Nanochips and 4 Control Modules). I think it is incredibly unlikely that you will have found all those materials (not to mention that CIWS turrets need Control Modules too) through exploration at a normal pace through the snow levels (estimating normal pace being full extractions 2x times on each level before advancing to the next). I certainly didn't and used the shop refreshing in order to get enough materials to build the autoloader.

I'm not sure if autoloader is from a blueprint or progression in the story, but if it's the former he might have found it on a map before you. I'm not sure how blueprints are shared through extractions between players but I would guess they aren't and you'd need to take some time to find it yourself.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 14, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It's worth noting that some of the maps with blueprints are so large that the base scan function probably won't uncover them unless you're revisiting the stages way later and have an absurd amount of core energy. Purple and higher tier Scan Gloves have 2 charges for the scan which makes making sure you're not missing any loot much easier in far away areas.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I found that my best DPS against Kronos Omega was actually just a rapid core gun and Free Fire. I did have a barrel that reduced fire rate for more damage and a Xen that increased bullet speed so it was easier to hit Kronos. The glowing orange-red spots are weak points and if you focus fire those enough you can force the boss to stagger and kneel down.

That aside, yes, there is artillery available by that point in the story. It's in one of the snow maps. Like I mentioned earlier the base scan function is unlikely to be able to find it so you'll want to bring scan gloves on the bigger maps when you're looking for it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think levels 3 and 4 of the snow fields have more nodes so if you full clear every map you'll have more luck on those.

https://outpostinfinitysiege.game-vault.net/wiki/Research_Blueprint_Locations

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I did an infinity siege and had a heck of a time funneling my mules to come with me in the cargo ship when it left. I lost one mule to an enemy attack and it dropped all its cargo so I wasn't able to extract the red XEN I saw since I couldn't get another mule out to it in time before I called in the evac. That's disappointing, but I think I have a handle on the first infinity siege level now.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If the mules have stuff in their inventory and they're in the airship with you when you extract, their inventory gets extracted too. The animation shows the mules staying put and clipping through the floor but their stuff comes with you. But the mule pathfinding is really really picky and a lot of them got stuck on a little ridge to the upper left of the dropship on the first infinity siege stage.

Reminds me a bit of Doretta from Deep Rock Galatic. The pack mules are surprisingly adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I keep losing track of my pack mules when they don't have stuff lol. They're so low profile without the ton of cargo on their back that bad weather actually makes it easier to spot them because they have headlights.