Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Lotta Behind the Bastards fans.

No surprise. Me and the wife have been listening to them lately.

I feel like Sophie is less a producer so much as Robert's handler. They're kind of the classic chaos goblin and exhausted leash holder duo. I like it when she gets fed up and goes a little goblin mode, too, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yeah Robert and Sophie make a great pair.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ghost in the Machine - Cheaters get caught hiding a motor in their bicycles at a world championship

The Giant Bombcast and Voicemail Dump Truck, but only the era with Jeff and Ben

Talkin Baseball

You Must Remember This - Hollywood history

Kermode & Mayo's Take - Movie reviews

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ive been listening to Uhh Yeah Dude 4eva

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Poohs Packin posted:

Yeah Robert and Sophie make a great pair.

You know what else makes a great pair....

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Independent Music Podcast was an excellent source of good new underground music until it finished after 439 episodes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mystery Show episode #3: Belt Buckle might be one of the best ever. Definitely not a sustainable podcast concept but fun while it lasted.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I've tried multiple times to get into Behind the Bastards but the host is just too glib about so many horrible topics and tragedies. Maybe that would be tolerable but the guests he has on that he's explaining the story to are almost always absolute morons who contribute nothing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

This infamous episode should be right up your street then

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/custers-revenge-w-joey-clift/

Unironically a good listen as the hosts of the podcast get blasted for being pretty lovely.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I like Starship Sofa. It's a sct-fi podcast hosted by Tony C. Smith, a very nice man with a heavy Newcastle accent.

Every episode has a short story read by narrators of varying quality, and every other episode or so has a segment about sci-fi history by professor Amy H. Sturgis.

It's been running since 2006. It has a really nice old fandom vibe to it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I much prefer Decoding the Gurus' approach to taking down shysters to Behind the Bastards', I gotta say

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

R.L. Stine posted:

is the last podcast on the left still good after kissel was found to be a sex pervert? i stopped listening cause i was afraid the new person's vibes would be bad. but i also don't listen to podcasts anymore

Yeah he's much better in pretty much every way.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Pontifacts
Reconquista
First impressions - why all the Austen haters are wrong
Art of dadliness
Ladies, we need to talk
Levar Burton reads
Lubbers hole
Ologies
Well there's your problem
The war on cars
Numberphile

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 3, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I've tried multiple times to get into Behind the Bastards but the host is just too glib about so many horrible topics and tragedies. Maybe that would be tolerable but the guests he has on that he's explaining the story to are almost always absolute morons who contribute nothing.

Agreed. He’s very cavalier about horrible poo poo and not in a “this is what you have to do to talk about this weekly” way, but a “I love this horrible poo poo and take joy in it like a sicko” way.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Mod's Mod: a podcast about forum moderation with guests from various internet forums like reddit, bodybuilding.com, and the cartalk forums

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Smugworth posted:

The Mod's Mod: a podcast about forum moderation with guests from various internet forums like reddit, bodybuilding.com, and the cartalk forums

holy poo poo that sounds like the worst thing ever conceived

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

kntfkr posted:

the joe rogan experience

same! everyone says he is controversial, he is just a guy who sits down and talks to people!! like you or me!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed. He’s very cavalier about horrible poo poo and not in a “this is what you have to do to talk about this weekly” way, but a “I love this horrible poo poo and take joy in it like a sicko” way.

I mean he was a war correspondant i think its the sort of gallows humour one develops. Hes done some incredible journalism.

I get that it a more somber tone could be appropriate but thats just who he is.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Most podcasts have the format of: the info guy, and the funny riffing guy (this can be the same or different people depending on the episode and who did the research). But it's a pretty solid rule.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think if he wasn't paired with guests who spend half the time giggling and making really dumbass remarks it would be more bearable.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
As someone who has zero interest in sports, Crime in Sports is pretty great

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
medium popcorn: i like their energy even if i disagree with alot of their takes on movies

my momma told me: again i love their energy and i think their funny. their live episodes were great and im hoping i can catch one sometimes. it feels like bodega boys and i hope they get a bunch of sucess just like the bodega boys did.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think if he wasn't paired with guests who spend half the time giggling and making really dumbass remarks it would be more bearable.

That's a completely valid criticism, he does have some dumbass guests on.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Knowledge Fight
Behind the Bastards
The Greatest Generation
It's Probably Not Aliens
Oh No! Ross and Carrie
The Always Sunny Podcast (they stopped releasing episodes during the writers' strike and never came back :()
Lions Led By Donkeys

I did Rewatchables for a bit but something felt off about it. I later heard someone describe as "boomers talking about their dvd collection, " or something along those lines, and it all made sense.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

olylifter posted:

Rewatchables is the poo poo for driving or lifting. Every episode is at least an hour or more and there's no commercials. Plus listening to Simmons gently caress up words never gets old.

I just wish they'd get around to doing Heat already. Someday. A guy can dream.

lol you should tweet at em asking for it

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I've been burning through Crime Junkies. Delivery and voice are big for me when it comes to podcasts and I think Ashley does a great job keeping me interested. However, I wish the producer would shut her own mic off every time she's about to say "full.body.chills".

I was going to listen to Three From Wavland, but I couldn't take the voice of one the podcasters for more than a couple minutes. She sounds like an AI voice from 5 years ago. No inflection, just robotic af.

I don't remember the names, but I've listened to a few kids podcasts about science, video games, pirates, pokemon, etc. with my twins on car rides. Some are pretty good, but a few sounded like an over-the-top nerd voice from a cartoon as if they were holding their nose while talking and laughing like Gilbert from Revenge of the Nerds.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Criminal is the only good crime podcast

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

snergle posted:

my momma told me: again i love their energy and i think their funny. their live episodes were great and im hoping i can catch one sometimes. it feels like bodega boys and i hope they get a bunch of sucess just like the bodega boys did.

ProperCauldron posted:

Victory Light with The Kid Mero

I have LOL'd at every episode I've heard

I just miss bodega boys. Actually I think I preferred pre-video desus vs. mero. But can the thread come to a consensus on the best bodega boys substitute please

that's all I want

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Mainly Last Podcast on the Left and The Dogg Zzone. Dogg Zzone is by Seanbaby and Brockway from Cracked and it's pretty good.

But I have to be in a certain headspace to listen to podcasts otherwise it's all hoots and clicks to me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

credburn posted:

It takes a long goddamn time before Jordan stops being a nonstop yelling interrupting ignorant unfunny jackass and finds his niche. It gets there, but it takes a while.

I've never found any podcast host to be less funny and more annoying in every way as the McElroy brothers. They never get there.

I used to be a fan but yeah McElroys took a dip & got annoying especially Travis. Then I heard him on Good Christian Fun where he was talking more normally & told of how his family grew up in the church with his mom working there & doing a ton, but when she got cancer they did all they could to kick her off the church insurance & that greatly informed his understanding of religion.

CaptMrWill
Jan 26, 2004
www.will-o-rama.com

Kro-Bar posted:

All the podcasts I listen to are bad:

your kickstarter sucks
Blocked Party
Doughboys
Behind the Bastards
The Flop House
Guys
Blank Check

Ah yes another fan of Guys, a Podcast about Guys

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

Poohs Packin posted:

Ive been listening to Uhh Yeah Dude 4eva

hell yeah brother jonathan looks so loving old now

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

R.L. Stine posted:

is the last podcast on the left still good after kissel was found to be a sex pervert? i stopped listening cause i was afraid the new person's vibes would be bad. but i also don't listen to podcasts anymore

new guy is not bad at all.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i liked one, it was called "baby geniuses", it was extremely pointless but was sometimes really funny and it was the perfect level of very low-key entertaining inanity to have while going on a long run. they quit it a couple months ago, after doing it for like 10 years. :(

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

48 Minutes of Dogs Barking: two guys from St. Louis talk poo poo about the local music scene, riff about that week’s cryptoscams and show each other disgusting videos and photos to gross each other out. Pretty fun hangout podcast of just two friends making GBS threads on each other while occasionally talking about one guy they knew who dropped out of high school to watch TV.

Lateral: Tom Scott has spent the past 10 years making brief and very informative YouTube videos about weird little subjects, buildings, structures, phenomena etc. but he’s recently gone on an extended sabbatical from videos and runs a podcast instead where he invites guests each week to figure out various bizarre brain teasers about historical events and weird little things that happen in small towns.

I’m From The Internet: the much-maligned podcast about this here dead gay forum that only recently released a new episode after months of radio silence.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
i'll have to give new lpotl a try then. for a long time i kinda wished ben would go away anyway. actually i'd still listen if it was only marcus tbh

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The Goods From the Woods

and Mean Boys came back for a limited run this last fall.

repsnake
Sep 1, 2002

Behind the bastards- pretty sure that Robert had to be a goon back in the day as he's made numerous references to SA that shows a little too much familiarity.

Risky biz - weekly infosec podcast to talk about the IT security problems that are out there. The hosts have good voices and aren't just reading verbatim from a script.

Darknet diaries- was pretty good for IT security stories but the best ones have already been told and he's having issues finding decent content now. And he idolizes old school black hat hackers, though he does denounce new ones. Not so much of a fan anymore but I keep it in the playlist.

History of philosophy without the gaps- good podcast if you have no academic training in philosophy and have a passing interest in it. The Nietzsche series is a good one to start at, because he's a popular topic these days, to test the podcast, but really you can start at the very beginning.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Wendigee posted:

Honestly the replacement guy is funnier and more personable I prefer him.

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

repsnake posted:

Darknet diaries- was pretty good for IT security stories but the best ones have already been told and he's having issues finding decent content now. And he idolizes old school black hat hackers, though he does denounce new ones. Not so much of a fan anymore but I keep it in the playlist.

Oh yeah I liked that one a lot, it was fascinating how he’d find a story that sounded made up like the odd fellow involved with bitcoin having a reckless disregard for human life and fire codes while paying someone to secretly dig an unauthorized nuclear bunker under his suburban house and it ends tragically, but I’ll check & find plenty of reputable news sites confirming the story. He also had a great two part in depth story on the Pegasus iPhone hack where governments (and other bad actors) could access phones without needing the victim to download anything, then a short time later major news agencies covered it & Apple had a high priority update. He wasn’t the first to unearth the story but was cool to know what the big deal was early.

Also liked the lower stakes stories where testers would be hired to try to break into companies to check security, and the best defense was a guy who’d been there for decades & keeps asking who they are & won’t leave them alone with computers.