Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

How did this get made is a lot of fun for the first few years, then turns into mostly a lazy live show you can turn off halfway through before it gets to audience interaction and dumb bad singing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
How Did This Get Made has too many episodes where they just make fun of June and call her stupid.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

repsnake posted:

Behind the bastards- pretty sure that Robert had to be a goon back in the day as he's made numerous references to SA that shows a little too much familiarity.

He has mentioned being on SA a couple of times. I don't think he was posted here in a long time.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

axolotl farmer posted:

He has mentioned being on SA a couple of times. I don't think he was posted here in a long time.
People who are literally convinced he's a CIA spook harassed him until he quit.

Before that, he said he grew up very right-wing and that getting repeatedly owned in D&D (back in...the late 00s?) did a lot to shake him out of that worldview :shrug:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My wife listens to Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster so I hear it when we're in the car. If there's a good guest on it can be pretty funny and/or interesting.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I dont like Anthony Jeselnik much but him bullying the one host was kinda funny

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

credburn posted:

How Did This Get Made has too many episodes where they just make fun of June and call her stupid.

I think June might actually have undiagnosed early onset alzheimer's.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Active:

Mega64 podcast
This Is Important (lots of talk about buttholes and cum. It's good)
Safety Third (the dumb science YouTubers podcast. William Osman, Backdooryard Scientist, Allen Pan, etc. also lots of talk about buttholes and cum)
The Pontius Show (Chris Pontius from Jackass and his wife ramble about anecdotes, even more buttholes, and also cum)

Hiatus:
It's Always Sunny
Videogame History Hour (Hosted by SA goon TheRedEye)
Mega Strange (talks about cryptids and weird occurrences. Spin off from Mega64 members Derek and Johnny)

Occasional listening:
Mamiyamigos (couple of dudes shooting the poo poo about cameras)
Shuttlepod show (Star Trek crap but their interviews are pretty fun if a little disjointed. Hosted by people from the third least liked Star Trek, Enterprise!)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SilvergunSuperman posted:

How did this get made is a lot of fun for the first few years, then turns into mostly a lazy live show you can turn off halfway through before it gets to audience interaction and dumb bad singing.

I listened a bit years ago and yeah I bailed because it got boring, I think they were reviewing an Al Pacino movie. Between that and iffy guest spots on tv & Comedy Bang Bang I was convinced Jason Mantzoukas was annoying until he guested on Doughboys & I realized he’s delightful.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Bandsplain. Ponce I got over the sort of valley girl affectations of the host, I really grew to appreciate how much she researched and I think she's one of the best interviewers I know, at least in the niche of primarily 90s music.

The offshoot of that, 24 Question Party People

60 songs that explain the 90s, which ended up having over 100 episodes.

So obviously one of my interests is clear, as a 43 year old dude.

And then some of the bigger ones, like Conan's podcast and lately Smartless, mainly because you can really hear the genuine friendship between Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Sean Hayes.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

The only podcasts I listen to every episode of are UYD and Boonta Vista.

Boonta Vista used to be an Australian politics podcast but pivoted to making fun of weird small town news stories in the US and Netherlands and is much funnier for it. Here's a clip about a weird dutch theme park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7CP4qsvT1o

They also do weird alienating improv intros for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CrH3BsccpUo

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Red Scare becsuse despite the two of them being right wing elitist russian shills the Loveline episodes are often pretty funny. Their advice is usually pretty good.

Small doses though.

Buddy_Cthulhu
Jun 10, 2005

Magnus Archives /Protocol

Old Gods of Appalachia - this one in particular I can't recommend enough if you like narrative horror. They do a fantastic job of weaving Eldritch horror into the general horror of being exploited like cattle by the railroad and coal industry.

Red Valley - solid scifi about cryogenic preservation and the lack of ethics involved

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Buddy_Cthulhu posted:

Magnus Archives /Protocol

Old Gods of Appalachia - this one in particular I can't recommend enough if you like narrative horror. They do a fantastic job of weaving Eldritch horror into the general horror of being exploited like cattle by the railroad and coal industry.

Red Valley - solid scifi about cryogenic preservation and the lack of ethics involved

I just started on Old Gods and it's a real treat, def recommend. I have Magus in the queue and will add Red Valley.

King Falls AM is a fun more cozy paranormal ish radio drama. I hear it falls off eventually but the first half or so so far is very fun and sometimes scary. I like it.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I dont like Anthony Jeselnik much but him bullying the one host was kinda funny

My wife was angry with him for bullying James because she's been marathoning the whole series for months and she has a flourishing parasocial relationship

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
seeing taht this thread was closed made me go looking for a podcast forum. i guess there's a podcast forum fyi lmao. it's called rapidly going deaf. if you're the type that inexplicably likes to listen to podcasts, i think you're supposed to post there now :thanks:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

That Works posted:

I just started on Old Gods and it's a real treat, def recommend. I have Magus in the queue and will add Red Valley.

King Falls AM is a fun more cozy paranormal ish radio drama. I hear it falls off eventually but the first half or so so far is very fun and sometimes scary. I like it.

I'll give King Falls a try.

It seems like the radio dramas are pretty hit and miss as a whole.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I’m glad they re-opened this thread

Buddy_Cthulhu
Jun 10, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

I'll give King Falls a try.

It seems like the radio dramas are pretty hit and miss as a whole.

Very much so. There's a lot of pitfalls I've noticed in terms of not being good enough with voice work to carry the writing, or devolving into bad meta narratives that undercut what would otherwise be really solid anthology stories.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I’m glad they re-opened this thread

Same. I tried posting about Digg⚡Nation in Rapidly Going Deaf and the mod there probed me for a week and everyone made fun of me

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
The Album Years - Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness (no-man) babble about music they love and don't love, and occasionally bicker like an old married couple.
Lateral with Tom Scott - sort of a quiz show but not really
LeVar Burton Reads - LeVar Burton reads to you
The Numberphile Podcasts - really smart people talk about poo poo beyond my comprehension, but also sometimes just about their lives.
SciShow Tangents - again, sort of a quiz show. I'm about 200 episodes behind and haven't listened in 5 months but whatever.
With Chinese Characteristics - sometimes it's Chinese history, sometimes it's a summary of a batshit insane Chinese epic story that at their current rate will take them 20 years to complete. This is my go-to bedtime podcast because there's no music, no sponsors, no ads. If I fall asleep it won't wake me up again.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I miss stitcher, it was handy and worked pretty well.

Does anyone have a good alternate they use?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
pocket casts

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mozi posted:

pocket casts

☝️☝️☝️
That's what's up

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like The F-Plus and its little trans sister podcast Extra Credit. Both are about finding weird internet poo poo and reading it with a rotating cast. There's a dedicated thread for them in RGD. Fun listens and tons of content.

I'm also a fan of The Dogg ZZone 9000, hosted by Cracked writers Robert Brockway and Seanbaby. They basically find weird cultural relics, whether odd episodes, TV shows, movies, or whatever else and discuss them with various guests from across the internet, including other former Cracked writers. This is a spinoff of their written website, 1-900-HOTDOG.

They also have their own sister podcast, Bigfeets, which they do along with author Jason Pargin. This one the three analyze every episode of the reality TV series Mountain Monsters, which is basically Finding Bigfoot meets Pro Wrestling, starring random guys that don't really know the rules of improv. It's a weirdly compelling analysis of how bad these guys are at doing improv and setting up narratives, and it's a real joy when watching along with the show, which is also fascinating in its own way.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i had a bitch of a time finding an app that wasn't dogshit. i don't want to download episodes for later. i want to make playlists from episodes that fit a theme. i want to have control over whether the next episode is newer or older. i don't want it to automatically skip episodes i've already listened to. i want it to look pretty. i use podcast addict and it's pretty good for most of that stuff. the playlist thing though is my holy grail

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

R.L. Stine posted:

i had a bitch of a time finding an app that wasn't dogshit. i don't want to download episodes for later. i want to make playlists from episodes that fit a theme. i want to have control over whether the next episode is newer or older. i don't want it to automatically skip episodes i've already listened to. i want it to look pretty. i use podcast addict and it's pretty good for most of that stuff. the playlist thing though is my holy grail

Yeah why is every player poo poo

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

One of the unintentionally creepiest episodes of a comedy show was Pete Holmes You Made it Weird with guest Harris Wittels from November 2014. Harris was a successful writer especially on Parks & Rec, a hilarious guest on Comedy Bang Bang, & also a big fan of recreational drugs. He related deciding to get into heroin for fun with an amusing story of an initially frustrated attempt to buy in an LA park, then later successfully getting clean in an expensive rehab paid for by NBC.

Except then he realized his tolerance had become low so he could get incredibly high if he went back (the host is ultra laid back but this prompted a “Harris no!”) & even his own dealer advised against it. he was dead by OD three months later. It’s unnerving as he’s laying out a horrible series of incredibly avoidable bad decisions & you want the host to yell at him to knock it off.

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

Its demise actually led me down the road of finally getting RSS feeds to work locally in Rhythmbox, which is an incredibly terrible interface and not as good. However, it's a usable aggregate alternative despite its UI.

On podcasts I listnin to:

universally good
Talking Simpsons and its associated What a Cartoon/What a Cartoon Movie. Absolutely stellar, easily my favorite.
Get Played and its associated Get Anime'd (formerly how did this get played, rightfully called out on the initial Joey Clift episode but they handled their shame appropriately; Clift also re-guested later on a Garfield Kart episode, so this was a rare racism story with a happy ending). The show is practically its own Eras tour at this point because it goes through an initial foray into bad/weird games every week which is unsustainable long-term, eventually turning into Whatever The Hosts Want To Talk About each week in the video-game and adjacent nerdy realms. HAC/Campbell/Wiger are great hosts and improv veterans.
Chapo Trap House I will not be taking questions at this time.
QAnon Anonymous; there have been a few where they talk about a situation that exists or coincides with Alabama, where I reside, so that can be difficult to hear but they do good research and have a solid track record.

acquired tastes
TrueAnon hits more than they miss
Software Defined Talk, kind of ok if you like software / development supply chain and the general developer community. I got into it for Cote but stayed for Brandon.
somebody mentioned Boonta Vista earlier, which is great even when it was about Australia.

waitin'
always awaiting new Blowback too.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I dunno if it's available for iOS, but Podcast Republic on Android is great. But it's definitely a power user app.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I'm old and hate loving around with apps, so I just listen on the podcasts' websites

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
You Must Remember This
Trail Went Cold
Casefile
Unresolved
Southern Fried True Crime
Power Slam
Days of Thunder
Attitude Era
Talk is Jericho
Rick Rubin
Occulture/Liber Ohio (defunct)
Conspiracy Theories
The History of England
Dead Meat
The Evolution of Horror
Art Bell archive

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Behind the Bastards
System Mastery
Movie Mastery

That’s the current rotation

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Overcast is what I replaced stitcher with

e: Smartless, Behind the Bastards, 99% Invisible, NADDpod, Random Horror Generator Podcast 9, Romancing the Pod, Talkin Baseball

I have quite a bit of podcast time at work.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm still using doggcatcher on android, easy to use and has all kinds of good settings under the hood

Morph Club is complete but still online in its full form. It's basically an ~80 hour animorphs book club with 2 adorably upbeat hosts and a couple guests here and there. They go through the entire book and tv series including the official offshoots.

F plus
Extra credit
City cast las vegas - mostly local-focused news but could be interesting to outsiders
We hate movies

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Pocket Casts is the best app.

History of English Podcast has been going for like 10 years. Dude started at the dawn of history and is only up to Romeo and Juliet so he's got a long way to go, and each episode is laid out in a way that makes me go "huh, I never thought of it like that." Shmanners is another podcast in this same vein that I enjoy, on the theme of basically just talking about language. I never learned English properly in school despite being born and raised in an English-speaking country. I was never taught proper grammar, much to the horror of my grammar school teaching grandmother when I told her about how the education system failed to do so years after the fact. It was sort of just foisted upon me that I either learn to swim in the common language or drown trying. For the longest time a lot of my teachers saw my battle against the current of 'how to form a coherent and relatable thought on paper' as cute or something, or mistook my treading water as being gifted with some sort of spry energy, when in fact I was *this* close to letting it take me under any time I had to really demonstrate to anyone that I could, in fact, relay my own thoughts and other information comprehensibly. I've had a chip on my shoulder about it for years, and it's for that reason that I'm forever locked in a battle of attempting to grapple with language, and podcasts like those two help immensely.

Tim Heidecker's Office Hours Live is one that I've been aware of for like five years at least but never really actually tried to listen to until recently. It's just Tim being a jackass and two of his best friends playing well-timed sound effects and laughing like idiots. It's everything I ever wanted in a podcast and/or radio show, and it more or less fills the Harmontown-shaped hole in my heart from when that podcast ended.

Conan Needs a Friend is good, as Conan can do no wrong. Howie Mandel Does Stuff is surprisingly listenable, at least when I know who the guest is. It can sort of be 50/50 for me if I'm not interested in the guest, which isn't necessarily a problem I have with Conan's show or WTF, which I also still listen to regularly. Marc Maron is great.

I've been meaning to get into I Don't Speak German, which discusses contemporary far-right shithead politics from a progressive left point of view in a way that isn't just two dudes complaining and talking over each other, but seems to offer a more radical and well-considered action-based and disruptive discourse to think about that I can put into practice in my own life in ways that mean something, but I haven't ponied up a subscription yet so I only listen to the free episodes, which have been few and far between lately. On this same note, Darknet Diaries was a huge discovery for me about two years ago. If I've posted in this thread already (which I may have, I don't remember everything), I probably talked about how much I love Darknet Diaries. Lately the episodes have been slow and unappealing but there's a huge back-catalogue of crazy episodes about pen-testing and social engineering which I get a huge kick out of.

On the topic of UFOs, there's a relatively new podcast on the scene with Kids In The Hall's Dave Foley called "Really!?." Aside from being a hilarious dude, he's surprisingly well-versed in ufological lore and comes at it from a level-headed perspective. Another new-ish UFO podcast features George Knapp, who is basically the god-emporer of ufological news reportage, but he's teamed up with Jeremy Corbell, who, as far as anybody can tell, is some trust fund dude-bro from the valley whose primary purpose is to annoy the everloving poo poo out of anybody who happens to have eyes and ears. It doesn't make any sense. And there's Need To Know, which is Ross Coulthart out of Australia, whose Channel 7 reports are some of the best available, but again, he's teamed up with another one of ufology's uber-doofuses in Bryce Zabel. In an ideal world, we'd have a UFO podcast with just Coulthart and Knapp and those other two guys could go pound sand for all I care.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
This Podcast Will Kill You

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

With Chinese Characteristics - sometimes it's Chinese history, sometimes it's a summary of a batshit insane Chinese epic story that at their current rate will take them 20 years to complete. This is my go-to bedtime podcast because there's no music, no sponsors, no ads. If I fall asleep it won't wake me up again.

Started listening to this and love it for the reasons you mentioned.

The Wild Episode is another great one for bed time. It does have some interstitial music, but it's usually pretty easy to listen to. Fascinating descriptions of wild animals, bugs, fish, etc.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can’t listen to any more water margin episodes of W/ Chinese characteristics. I just can’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Stuff they Don't Want You to Know, the dollop, BtB, Ologies, Ridiculous History