Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm here to say that Robert Evans is stupid and insufferable and I can't wait till everyone turns on him like I did years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:yeah:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I like all the Trashfuture expanded universe podcasts, Radio War Nerd, and everything in the Talking Simpsons network.

I still listen to We Hate Movies, although I don't know why. They ran out of things to say to each other years ago.

The History of Byzantium is good, they've gotten up to the part where things get really depressing.

I listen to Greatest Generation even though I find one of the hosts super annoying. They're like an episode or two aw ay from being done with Voyager and I'm happy, because I'm going to check out after that. They're doing Enterprise next, and everyone knows that's not real Star Trek.

Bob and Henry from Talking Simpsons and all their other podcasts are the best. Pleasant, professional, have good rapport, all the good opinions I agree with, genuinely nice people, fun guests.

I have recently listened to some episodes of something called "I Will Fight You" and found all of them super fun. It's about movies and video games, mostly movies.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I listen to some obscure stuff you've probably never heard of

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm here to say that Robert Evans is stupid and insufferable and I can't wait till everyone turns on him like I did years ago

are you a lib who hates that he likes guns or are you a tankie who hates that he criticizes Stalin?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

are you a lib who hates that he likes guns or are you a tankie who hates that he criticizes Stalin?

What if I just find him annoying and stupid

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Old cumtown episodes on youtube

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

"I can't wait until people turn on him" is a bizarrely hostile take if he hasn't like, done anything wrong or expressed vile opinions or anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hellblazer187 posted:

"I can't wait until people turn on him" is a bizarrely hostile take if he hasn't like, done anything wrong or expressed vile opinions or anything.

Yeah seems weird there OP

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's more of a "this dude gives me really bad vibes and I would like my instincts to be right" thing

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I still listen to We Hate Movies, although I don't know why. They ran out of things to say to each other years ago

Yeah I used to be a mega fan and would regularly relisten to the best eps, but somewhere along the way they lost a step & I fell off. I think it was a combo of permanently switching from three to a four host format that badly hurt the rhythm as while Cabin could be hilarious with two hosts, especially sharing his encyclopedic knowledge, trying to be wacky with three other hosts isn’t his strength. Also went from about 80 minutes to routinely over 120 which is too long.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

It's more of a "this dude gives me really bad vibes and I would like my instincts to be right" thing

That's actually a really good way to put it

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I like Lie, Cheat, and Steal because scammers are fascinating, and I like their banter

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I just assume Robert Evans will turn out to one day actually be sponsored by Raytheon rather than just joking about it.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bert Kreischer is fat and stupid

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
who's that

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

R.L. Stine posted:

who's that

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

gross

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

He's got several podcasts

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

ya you can tell he's been trying to run between the different recording studios

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

anyone involved with barstool is a giant piece of poo poo and ive yet to see evidence to the contrary

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bottom Liner posted:

anyone involved with barstool is a giant piece of poo poo and ive yet to see evidence to the contrary

Yup

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Bugle was the first podcast I listened to and I still listen to it

It's kind of basic UK and US political satire with comedians, sometimes funny, I mostly continue listening from inertia at this point and I just kind of like Andy Zaltzman

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I listen to Greatest Generation even though I find one of the hosts super annoying. They're like an episode or two aw ay from being done with Voyager and I'm happy, because I'm going to check out after that. They're doing Enterprise next, and everyone knows that's not real Star Trek.

I'll listen to them for a while then I have to back off for a bit before I keep going, they are just occasionally the two biggest weenies in the world.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

kdrudy posted:

I'll listen to them for a while then I have to back off for a bit before I keep going, they are just occasionally the two biggest weenies in the world.

Adam is way more of a weenie than Ben. I remember when they switched from TNG to DS9, Adam was constantly whining about how it wasn't TNG and it wasn't the same characters and just being such a little childish baby bitch about every single thing. It was a huge bummer. They're two guys who met each other who liked Star Trek: TNG and started a podcast. They are not nerds or "enthusiasts". This is very, very, very good in some ways, but less good in others. Somewhere in the middle they did the worst thing you can do as a podcaster: they decided to make podcasting their full time job. Once it was no longer a labor of love, but an occupation, the quality suffered. Now they're very big on the idea of being a Star Trek podcaster and having some sort of role in the fan community. How do they keep making new episodes for the next 20 or 30 years? They will either have to pivot, or keep on remaking the old episodes over and over and over, with sadly diminishing results. The smart money is on that second option. I am very happy to stop listening to them after 9 years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I used to be a mega fan and would regularly relisten to the best eps, but somewhere along the way they lost a step & I fell off. I think it was a combo of permanently switching from three to a four host format that badly hurt the rhythm as while Cabin could be hilarious with two hosts, especially sharing his encyclopedic knowledge, trying to be wacky with three other hosts isn’t his strength. Also went from about 80 minutes to routinely over 120 which is too long.

This is a really strange and specific criticism, but I think Chris Cabin constantly goes to sexual practices with his comments and his humor. This is like my very tough, tatted up, beefy coworker who thinks everything is gay, who thinks everyone is secretly gay, who makes every situation about how someone is gay and hiding it or being a flaming queer stereotype. Chris Cabin keeps injecting these weird sexual scenarios and making weird sexual jokes even when it absolutely has nothing to do with what is being discussed. I don't get it. I miss when he was the knowledgeable straight man.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

This is a really strange and specific criticism, but I think Chris Cabin constantly goes to sexual practices with his comments and his humor. This is like my very tough, tatted up, beefy coworker who thinks everything is gay, who thinks everyone is secretly gay, who makes every situation about how someone is gay and hiding it or being a flaming queer stereotype. Chris Cabin keeps injecting these weird sexual scenarios and making weird sexual jokes even when it absolutely has nothing to do with what is being discussed. I don't get it. I miss when he was the knowledgeable straight man.

I’m not sure about that, I mean maybe but I haven’t listened regularly in about five years so dunno where it’s at now. I was thinking more of how with four hosts he seems to feel the need to try to do impressions but it’s not his strength & has a bad tendency to repeat himself. Which is a bummer as with three hosts felt way more chill & he’d chime in with hilarity like on Halloween 3.

Also the political stuff got a bit old, I agree with them on most everything but didn’t need updates on what awful thing happened that week & the constant trump impressions were a bit much.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Eric is the one who makes all the vulgar sex jokes, not Chris.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Doppelganger posted:

Eric is the one who makes all the vulgar sex jokes, not Chris.

They all make the vulgar jokes. That was part of the fun, back when they were in their 20's and so was I. I'm saying that in recent years Chris takes every vulgar sexual conversation too far, and he makes it weird. I'm probably reading too much into it.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the podcast "dogpatch" is two heavyweight (like, one of them got a chapter devoted to him in the beastie boys book for turning them onto certain records) record collectors from chicago doing deep dives into micro-genres and topics.

the music varies wildly with your tastes but they're good at chatting about rare and weird music (and other topics as warranted) without sounding like what you imagine when you think of somebody being a nerd about obscure music. one episode starts with a matter-of-fact description of the antique brick collecting scene that made me laugh harder than any comedy podcast.

dante is buds with dj shadow and brought him on with zero fanfare for an episode of very weird tracks as "my friend josh". like no mention of who the man is, just friends sharing their weirdest records with each other.

and the episode of unheard curtis mayfield songs, "see them seeing me", is the single greatest podcast i've ever listened to. curtis mayfield is a genius far beyond "move on up" or "we're a winner" and they have outtakes and demos i can't even believe, stuff no one else even knew existed. i revisit it like, weekly.

I want to like this but after listening to half the first episode their soundboard is nails on a chalkboard obnoxious. The music is great, and so is their insight. Please tell me that an adult talks them into getting rid of it so I don't unsubscribe.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Nice, I've added a couple of these to my "podcasts to try out" list.

My list of regulars includes a lot of what was posted but let's see:

Do Go On - Australian "one of the three comedians does a report on a topic to the other two" comedy, literally half of it is the most extra patreon shoutout section I've heard on any podcast, but I love them all and they can read out a thesaurus for six hours I'd still listen. Dave has a spinoff quiz show on youtube that is at least as unhinged as the pod.

This Podcast Will Kill You - everything you want to know about a disease or medical issue.

Who Knew it with Matt Stewart - quiz where a question is asked, guests write a wrong answer & send it to Matt & he reads them along with the correct answer & they have to guess. Pretty funny and a good way to learn about a lot of very weird names for fish.

Mid Flight Brawl - a podcast about people being horrible to everyone on flights hosted by two grumpy Australian comedians.

I Saw What You Did - movie reviews with a theme each time, hosted by two women which is a nice balance to the all dude We Hate Movies & Flophouse also on my regular list. I think I got this recommendation from a similar thread years ago!

I also have Lateral & No Such Thing As on my regular, been mentioned before. Oh and I'll shoutout the video podcast Well There's Your Problem bc I'm pretty sure they also got a shoutout on Lateral one ep. Also in the "weird" category Tony Martin's Sizzletown (which is as mad as all his skits on martin/malloy used to be). I wont' bother listing the true crime ones ppl know those already.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A bit middle class, I'll grant you, but entertaining nevertheless:

You're Dead to Me, a BBC history program which has a comedian and a historian be interviewed/taught/quizzed on a specific, random historical topic, nice and light.

In Our Time, ANOTHER BBC history program, but much more in depth, where a panel of academics are interviewed on a specific topic from history/politics/science/etc.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

- Fut Ballerz FC
- War on the Rocks
- Gary Neville podcast
- About a boy: the story of Vladimir Putin
- Casual Fut podcast
- FUT in review
- FUT weekly
- The rest is football
- Metal Nerdery
- The full nerd
- The Crate 808
- Retro Asylum
- BG Mania
- The Danny Brown show
- The Retro Hour
- Rhythm and Pixels videogame music
- How to invent a country
- Videogame Newsrom Timemachine
- Amigos Retro Gaming
- Big Red Barrels
- Crate and Crowbar

These are just the English ones, I listen to a lot more podcasts in Dutch

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

GoonGPT posted:

I want to like this but after listening to half the first episode their soundboard is nails on a chalkboard obnoxious. The music is great, and so is their insight. Please tell me that an adult talks them into getting rid of it so I don't unsubscribe.

Oh drat, I forgot about the drops lol... I'm able to just shut it out. I think they calm down with it over time - i can't recall many in the mayfield ep last year for example - but they haven't gotten rid of it.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

The only thing I find annoying is his tendency to think of himself as worldly just because he got wasted in various locales in his 20s.

And he thinks cspam thinks he's a cia plant, so, you know, lol

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I can’t stand “comedy” podcasts. I prefer the ones where the host is largely silent and just lets people tell their stories. I’ve been enjoying Otherworld lately, it’s just people sharing their paranormal experiences. Some of them are quite spoopy.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Oh drat, I forgot about the drops lol... I'm able to just shut it out. I think they calm down with it over time - i can't recall many in the mayfield ep last year for example - but they haven't gotten rid of it.

Just wanted to say that the seem to calm down a bit and the drops are less jarring as I've gotten deeper. Not all of the episodes are winners but it's a fun podcast. Thanks for the suggestion!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

GoonGPT posted:

Just wanted to say that the seem to calm down a bit and the drops are less jarring as I've gotten deeper. Not all of the episodes are winners but it's a fun podcast. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hell yeah, I'm happy you like it. It's always been one of those "not sure who to recommend this to" type things for me.

I know Dante('s posting) from Waxidermy, which is a record nerd site with a particular focus on interesting obscurity and weirdness over being actual good music. Its unofficial motto is "weird records that suck". A lot of guys who are so jaded from collecting what I'd call good music that they end up creating a consumer demand for PINA (private issue new age, loving... 80s Ananda school "nourishing your child's inner light" meditations cassettes etc.) and raving about "advanced smooth". So the fact the show works is a testament to those guys' abilities to select and talk about stuff from that miasma in a way that still hooks me, someone who has not yet deep dived UK sitar jazz or whatever cause i'm sick of actual good funk and soul records. It's nice NOT to be on their level and still enjoy the show, I guess.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Lately all I've been caring about is 90's thrillers so I've been listening to "Gorley and Rust" and their episodes on Yuppie Nightmare thrillers. I pretty much watch one movie a night and then the next day listen to the podcast. I don't really have friends to talk about movies with anymore so its nice to watch something funny/interesting/good and then have professional comedians make jokes about how the characters are dressed, weird line readings, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

+ing If Books Could Kill and Maintenance Phase. I’ve subbed on Patreon to If Books Could Kill and the bonus episodes are good too.

Bolded are my top reccs

Politics/Recent History/Foreign Policy

Blowback - History of American foreign policy in particular wars. Is a leftist podcast. I’m nearly finished the first season, which covers the Iraq War. I’ve been really engaged with this one, they’re meticulous with sourcing. It’s horrifying but imo they find a good blend of showing that without making it too depressing to listen to.

Citations Needed - Mostly current events and media spin/PR bullshit. The hosts are good and they always have interesting guests on to talk about the topic. You can jump in anywhere with this one, they have heaps of episodes but excepting the multi parters they’re all self contained.

Ghost Stories for the End of the World - I was listening to this for a while last year. I stopped because while it’s interesting and engaging, I could feel it feeding into some obsessive thinking patterns. It’s probably fine for people without OCD or some other paranoid mental disorder?

Transmissions From Jonestown - This is the only true crime podcast I listen to, I don’t like that stuff generally. But this is meticulous and respectful, and the host is fantastic. But yeah it’s pretty loving grim.

Normal Stuff

The Allusionist - Linguistics podcast, short and sweet episodes, this is a fun one.

Ologies - Already mentioned in this thread, but yeah I like it, it’s one I’ll put on when I’m bored and don’t want something too heavy.

Take Five - Guest musicians share five of their favourite songs. It’s neat hearing them talk about the music they enjoy.

I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats - Hosted by lead singer/songwriter of The Mountain Goats, and one of the Nightvale Producers. It’s on hiatus(finished?) but it’s worth a listen if you want to hear about the creative process behind the making of a couple of their albums, they devote an episode to a song and the circumstances around it.

Sounds Like a Cult - I’ve not listened to a lot of this one yet, but I’ve enjoyed it. The hosts are fun but fun might be annoying for others, they’re very…upbeat girly girl type of energy. I like it but my housemate finds it annoying.

Fiction

The Heresies Of Radulf Burntwine - THORB is fun. It’s new, not many episodes out yet. Is a horror series, set in some other world that seems to be like in the transition to the equivalent to our early modern era. I like it quite a lot tbh. It’s got a medical angle, the narrator’s character is a physician doing reports on weird stuff.

Re: Dracula - This one is infuriating. It’s a well produced and acted audio drama of Dracula. It’s extremely good. But the amount of ads and the ratio of ads to the actual show is absurd. The length the episodes go for can vary wildly, some are like just a few minutes, but others can be 40 min or longer. But you’re still gonna get a few minutes of ads per episode no matter how long!!! Also I just checked my app and they’ve taken the episodes down and are rereleasing them daily again so that’s dumb. Listen to this if you want but it’s really hard to enjoy an atmospheric horror story when suddenly McDonalds is advertising you bullshit.

Am pretty keen to listen to more Audio dramas and fiction podcasts