Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The simple and easy way to stop banned cheaters from making new accounts is to IP trace them the first time and then drone strike their house. 100% guaranteed success rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just ban multiplayer games.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Only couch multiplayer allowed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wayforward making a metroidvania based on an IP no one cares about let's fuckin gooooo

https://x.com/Wario64/status/1780598118662496605

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Steamworld Heist 2 yooooooo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

I am so hype for this. Heist is genuinely one of my favorite games ever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

my understanding is that EAC's mostly only good at detecting and stopping low tier commercial cheats and not anything more high end, so bungie can say that they're banning tons of cheaters and be technically correct while leaving out that it's still trivial to do so if you're willing to splash some cash

kernel level anticheat's gaining popularity mainly because cheating has become so sophisticated that it's starting to overwhelm traditional methods of cheat detection. league is transitioning to vanguard in its next patch because scripting reached such an egregious level that more than 10% of masters+ games had a scripter, and even grandmaster (which gets manually audited regularly by actual humans) had a significant number of cheaters getting sniffed out every season. machine learning anticheat's obviously still preferable, but i think the culture's shifted enough in the last decade that the idea of kernel level access in exchange for more surety in competitive multiplayer is a tradeoff people are willing to make

The cheating ecosystem seems really fascinating, like I think someone mentioned that streamers will run dual setups so that their cheating information is being fed to a computer that's not the one they're playing on to minimize detection?

Also they will train themselves to avoid "behaviors of omniscience"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Waffleman_ posted:

Wayforward making a metroidvania based on an IP no one cares about let's fuckin gooooo

That Metroidvania looked pretty boring.

Steamworld Heist 2 looks fuckin good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

Yars as in Yars Revenge?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I care about Yars. :nyoron:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Paying2Lurk posted:

I care about Yars. :nyoron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM_DsBcnkWI

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The cheating ecosystem seems really fascinating, like I think someone mentioned that streamers will run dual setups so that their cheating information is being fed to a computer that's not the one they're playing on to minimize detection?

There was something a few months ago with a company making a monitor that would cheat at League of Legends for you, completely undetectable from the computer running the game and also not displaying any of it to your stream, vods, etc. because it put the stuff in an overlay on top of everything.

No idea how well that specific one actually worked out, but I'm guessing that kind of thing is going to be taking off hard going forward.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Streamers seem like big babies if they need to cheat that badly

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Who wants to follow and throw money at a loser?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It just seems bizarrely pathetic that you take pride in winning a video game against other people because you cheated.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Aren't online cheaters just disrupting people in endless conflict? People who should be cooperating together, making the world a better place while holding hands so nobody gets left behind. If a cheater's activities drive people away from these inhumane competitions and into cooperative endeavors, surely that is a good thing and the cheated will be grateful for it in time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

jesse what are you talking about

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pigbuster posted:

Heist was by far the best steamworld game and I didn't realize a sequel was even being considered, this is great news.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GlyphGryph posted:

Heist was by far the best steamworld game and I didn't realize a sequel was even being considered, this is great news.

This is Steamworld Dig 2 erasure

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

Yars as in Yars Revenge?

They’re Starfoxing this franchise!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cheaters shouldn’t exist. Instead, everyone should lay down their controllers the second I enter the lobby and let me wail on them until I win.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ymgve posted:

This is Steamworld Dig 2 erasure

Would anyone really mind if it were erased, though? It's no Steamworld Heist, after all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Cheaters shouldn’t exist. Instead, everyone should lay down their controllers the second I enter the lobby and let me wail on them until I win.

I'm waiting

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is tough for me because cheating is sometimes cool and good, but sometimes it's bad.

cheating in monopoly: ✌
cheating on your taxes: 😤
cheating on your spouse: 😜
cheating in pokemon tournaments: 😢

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

goatface posted:

Who wants to follow and throw money at a loser?

Isn't that DarkSydePhil's shtick

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's called a Direct Memory Access cheat and afaict it's 100% undetectable (except ofc by watching the replay and subjectively going "hm this guy plays like he can see enemies though walls")

Basically you attach a hardware device to your PC that sits between the CPU and RAM and snoops on all the back and forth electric signals, effectively knowing everything stored in RAM. Then it sends all that data over a cable to another computer to process it.

There's no software running or anything so there's nothing for an anticheat to detect.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
What's the deal with Animal Well? Sounds really up my alley from the bits I've read, but I can't find much beyond the developers' preview. Have there been any previews from people actually playing it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah that was me. Their main monitor is off screen with cheats on top, they effectively clone it to a secondary screen in front of them, and their streaming capture software streams the game .exe screen free of cheat overlays; rather than the whole monitor.
So they get a 'clean' monitor, can turn their head to 'read chat', but are actually looking at the game with poo poo like wallhacks on.

There was a recent one where someone was doing a Blindfolded Monster Hunter Run on one of the hardest bosses and got caught cheating - blindfold wasn't thick enough, and they were peaking out the bottom.

Then to prove they weren't cheating, did the run again.
New blindfold, papers covering the monitors, camera pointed towards her dual screens, basically 'this is super legit'

Annnnnnd then they got caught cheating a 2nd time by having a hidden 3rd monitor off camera that they were caught looking at in the setup stage and reading chat messages off of; before they cloned the game screen to it so they could peak under the blindfold again

Skip to the 13min mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OlxQb0jT-w

Bless the content creators bringing the constant fuckups to youtube for our viewing pleasure :allears:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe i'm weird but i'm okay with that? Like i wouldn't scream at a stage magician if i somehow noticed the second ace of spaces up their sleeve

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just let everyone cheat and determine who is the best cheater

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe i'm weird but i'm okay with that? Like i wouldn't scream at a stage magician if i somehow noticed the second ace of spaces up their sleeve

I think there's a difference between "I am openly doing an illusion where the act of the illusion is the entire point" vs claiming you are doing an act of tremendous skill but lying about it.

Like nobody except really dumb people thinks magic is real, the appeal is in the showmanship and show of skill at presenting a fake thing as real. Going "I'm going to beat a video game blindfolded" and then not being blindfolded is just lying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

I would, it means they’re bad at spelling

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

yeah do you think the other blindfolded runners are also cheating but just havent been caught

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sounds like me at work, relatable

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Just let everyone cheat and determine who is the best cheater

I'm the best cheater, because I remember what's important - that cheating is supposed to be about having fun, not about winning. those other fuckers aren't even cheating right.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

stage magic by its nature is participatory - you know that the guy's tricking you, but you don't know how he's tricking you, and that's the fun part - whereas fake blindfolded runs are you lying about doing something that other people legitimately do in order to cash in on the appeal without doing any of the work

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Next you’re gonna tell me Morse code and saxophone input Elden Ring players are cheating

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Good points...

But I can't help it, my honest reaction to a streamer cheating at a stunt is a big "who cares". Not really an argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

like i just appreciate the effort they went through to cheat, it's all kinda clever