Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They're lying to everyone to make money which is at best scumny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

you do not have to respect the hustle

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Good points...

But I can't help it, my honest reaction to a streamer cheating at a stunt is a big "who cares". Not really an argument

the way to think of it is that it's the equivalent of someone reposting art they stole from someone else on twitter and claiming it as their own for clout. a guy like bubzia puts in a truly herculean effort for the combination of achievement and entertainment, so people coming in and doing fake blindfolded runs are directly leeching off the credibility of him and others in their various communities to enrich themselves

obviously it's up to you if you want to be upset over it or not, but i think it's important to not let people people profit off of obvious fraud like that, and it also tends to lead to very funny expose videos like this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Good points...

But I can't help it, my honest reaction to a streamer cheating at a stunt is a big "who cares". Not really an argument

When it is something someone else is doing legitimately it kind of sucks to lie about it, because you're basically trying to leech off their actual effort. It's akin to like tracing over someone else's art and claiming you made it wholesale. It's not the Worst Thing Ever but at very least you deserve to get mocked for it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

At worst it's stolen valour. If they took someone else's footage and said "yep that's me" that'd be something else

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ImpAtom posted:

When it is something someone else is doing legitimately it kind of sucks to lie about it, because you're basically trying to leech off their actual effort. It's akin to like tracing over someone else's art and claiming you made it wholesale. It's not the Worst Thing Ever but at very least you deserve to get mocked for it.

I remember there was/is a bunch of this happening in the speedrunning community, where people would either a) take someone else's run footage and try to pass it off as their own or b) splice together footage from different runs to try to pass off a new WR.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steve Yun posted:

Next you’re gonna tell me Morse code and saxophone input Elden Ring players are cheating

If that streamer that killed two malenias at the same time (one using a dance pad) was faking it, I would be really disappointed, yes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Arrrthritis posted:

I remember there was/is a bunch of this happening in the speedrunning community, where people would either a) take someone else's run footage and try to pass it off as their own or b) splice together footage from different runs to try to pass off a new WR.

We need a King of Kong sequel

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Arrrthritis posted:

The amount of new tech surrounding verification of speedruns is amazing.

"Machine hum" and blinking cycles catching decade old cheaters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHE1W_c1JM

Steve Yun posted:

We need a King of Kong sequel

:yeah:

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I got my invite to the Hades 2 technical test. Looks like they sent out invites about 20 mins ago.

Supergiant is also live streaming for anyone that wants to see the game in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XucgtuFqIec

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Oh yeah, I got into a rabbit hole a while back of watching that stuff and it's genuinely amazing both how far people go and how far people go to disprove them. There's poo poo people do with Pokemon that is like magic wizardry

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Aw yeah, got my invite to Hades 2: Ladies

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Infinitum posted:

Yeah that was me. Their main monitor is off screen with cheats on top, they effectively clone it to a secondary screen in front of them, and their streaming capture software streams the game .exe screen free of cheat overlays; rather than the whole monitor.
So they get a 'clean' monitor, can turn their head to 'read chat', but are actually looking at the game with poo poo like wallhacks on.

There was a recent one where someone was doing a Blindfolded Monster Hunter Run on one of the hardest bosses and got caught cheating - blindfold wasn't thick enough, and they were peaking out the bottom.

Then to prove they weren't cheating, did the run again.
New blindfold, papers covering the monitors, camera pointed towards her dual screens, basically 'this is super legit'

Annnnnnd then they got caught cheating a 2nd time by having a hidden 3rd monitor off camera that they were caught looking at in the setup stage and reading chat messages off of; before they cloned the game screen to it so they could peak under the blindfold again

Skip to the 13min mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OlxQb0jT-w

Bless the content creators bringing the constant fuckups to youtube for our viewing pleasure :allears:

Pure hosed up Carnie behavior. Nightmare Alley bullshit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Emulators on iOS have been slowly trickling in over the past week, but this is the first really solid effort I’ve seen, and covers everything Nintendo up to DS (I guess no virtual boy). E:should have worded that differently. No GameCube either, and from what I understand that’s not happening until Apple allows jit compilation

No iPad version for now. It’ll run, but as an iPhone app (so small).

Delta

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1048524688

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 17, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Actually, it also features the Genesis.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monster Hunter is still pretty fun.

Charge Blade...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX2gnya3eH4&hd=1

YEYEYEYEYEYEYE

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have never played Steamworld Heist. I should look into it, I guess.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Every level in Steamworld Heist ends the same way, with turrets appearing and there being some kind of emergency reason you need to get back to your ship, and I hate this sequence every time. If it were just one time, I would think of it like an annoying bossfight challenge or something, but it's not, it's every time, and I hate it, and I can't have fun with the game because I'm just dreading the conclusion to every level, and I find this particularly frustrating because you can shoot hats off robots' heads.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mutata posted:

I have never played Steamworld Heist. I should look into it, I guess.

fyi it's a dollar on fanatical

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/steam-world-heist

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I clicked onto that, saw a build-your-bundle on the front page, and huh... I completely forgot Rage 2 is a game that exists :lol:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I clicked onto that, saw a build-your-bundle on the front page, and huh... I completely forgot Rage 2 is a game that exists :lol:

I beat Rage 2 and I barely recall that I have.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always thought Rage was just an engine tech demo for mega textures for other games to use now, I didn't expect them to sell that game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Khanstant posted:

I always thought Rage was just an engine tech demo for mega textures for other games to use now, I didn't expect them to sell that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCNSF7lsoSY

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

still havent played Hades 1 :kiddo:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

Aw yeah, got my invite to Hades 2: Ladies

*extremely look around you voice* hey ladies. heydies

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

cumpantry posted:

it's a good game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cumpantry posted:

it's a fun time. even if you're not a big roguelike fanatic, the characters and gameplay are enjoyable and you get a decent ending even for completing a single run, so you can easily just buy it on sale and get 10-ish hours out of it depending on your skill level

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

haveblue posted:

*extremely Jerry Lewis voice* hey ladies. heydies

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

cumpantry posted:

:same:

I had forgotten that my grown son gifted me Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, and Hades last November for my birthday. Not only have I not played any, they weren’t even (re)installed after switching to a new m.2/reinstalling Windows in January. I’ll probably start with Bastion, but I’m currently downloading all four on a 4G connection so I guess that’s my bandwidth for the night…:f5::argh::bang:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
May as well do them in release order, you can see how they evolved the components that all came together in Hades

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know anyone who's actually sat through Pyre

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Eej posted:

I did. It's a good fun game

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
🎶 come on baby sit through Pyre 🎵

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, Pyre is great. If anything, Bastion is the tough one to go back to since it's their first, but even that still holds up.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

cumpantry posted:

I'm not really into roguelites and I'm appallingly bad at action games. On paper, there's nothing about the game I should've liked.
I'm *really* glad I gave it a chance, it's pretty great. (See also: Snowrunner. I should hate that game on every level but I love it.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Pyre is great. It's probably the least 'instantly playable' of their games but it owns none the less.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pyre is basically a VN with a magic basketball minigame

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it can and does grab you when you least expect it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed Smite 2 launches on July 30. I really like Smite 1 (its the only MOBA ive ever enjoyed), but this feels like a terrible idea to me. It's basically taking a playbook from Overwatch 2 but the decision making on this one is arguably even worst; None of your purchases carry over to Smite 2. The devs claim this is because they are upgrading to the Unreal 5 engine. But other than new animations and better graphic fidelity everything else is the same. If you were someone who bought a lot of skins and other micro-transactions in Smite 1, you are kinda hosed super hard here. Smite 1 is still sticking around, but it's obvious the devs want you to move over to Smite 2, there is no incentive for them to support Smite 1.

I guess if you were smart though and didn't buy anything on the cash shop, then you are good, these changes really don't affect you. But the current Smite community overwhelmingly hates Smite 2 already and wants to see it bomb.