Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diablo IV didn’t really recover from its disastrous launch too. Game sold extremely well at first, but the player population dropped off to almost nothing. Which is not what you want for a live service game where you’re hoping people buy into the battle passes and cash shop. Diablo IV was meant to be a 1 billion dollar a year game and that didn’t happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Diablo IV didn’t really recover from its disastrous launch too. Game sold extremely well at first, but the player population dropped off to almost nothing. Which is not what you want for a live service game where you’re hoping people buy into the battle passes and cash shop. Diablo IV was meant to be a 1 billion dollar a year game and that didn’t happen.

Literally anyone could have told them that, because that's not what players want out of diablo as a series

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They'll never pay off all their sex crimes now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There will be a BlizzCon in 2025, but it might not be what you expect! That's because so many Blizzard executives have committed heinous crimes that they will be Con-victs!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Blizzard was finally going to eat Grinding Gear Games' tasty $1 bil a year lunch with Diablo 4 but woke had to happen, also China 😡

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

My partner loves Overwatch, so I end up playing it with her fairly regularly. As a result, I have tried out most of the various limited time pve missions they have had over the years. They have all been, every single time, TERRIBLE. Just a ton of waiting around to sometimes shoot boring looking robots with too much health, with no rewards. It has never at any point in the history of overwatch been a good idea to focus on the pve that blizzard apparently wanted to make. If they hadn't used it as basically the only excuse for why Overwatch 2 needed to exist the whole thing would have been cancelled years ago.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
TF2 custom servers where 30 year old dads voice chat about digital hats and lore and no actual shooting happens remains the pinnacle of the genre

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
TF2 makes me sad because I loved it at launch but really dislike all of the extra weapons and poo poo they added to it. (TF2 peaked in beta when friendly fire was on by default)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

TF2 makes me sad because I loved it at launch but really dislike all of the extra weapons and poo poo they added to it. (TF2 peaked in beta when friendly fire was on by default)

I really want a classic TF2 version. I will take that, or a sequel to Day of Defeat with updated graphics.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I said come in! posted:

I really want a classic TF2 version. I will take that, or a sequel to Day of Defeat with updated graphics.

Yeah. Take a TF2 server and strip out all of the weapons aside from the core, original set. I don't care if you allow hats or whatever other dumb poo poo. I just want a classic ruleset. :negative:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I said come in! posted:

or a sequel to Day of Defeat with updated graphics.
They made that, it's called day of defeat: source.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pander posted:

They made that, it's called day of defeat: source.

I know that!! but its dead now, and hasnt been updated in forever.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ive never even heard of Sable what is it

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I said come in! posted:

I know that!! but its dead now, and hasnt been updated in forever.

I play it every now and again, it's not completely dead!

I doubt there's much market for a DoD update anyway. WW2 FPS market is pretty saturated.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Pander posted:

WW2 FPS market is pretty saturated.

I remember by 2008 being exhausted by the amount of WWII FPSs. Has it been consistently oversaturated or was there a lull in the last 16 years at some point?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kerrzhe posted:

ive never even heard of Sable what is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0evJUp7-aw

apparently Journey but hoverbike

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sable ran like total crap on my pretty good system, I'm more tolerant of bad performance on small indie projects but it was just too much for a game with like 12 polygons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pander posted:

I play it every now and again, it's not completely dead!

I doubt there's much market for a DoD update anyway. WW2 FPS market is pretty saturated.

True about being over saturated. My big issue with where the genre has gone is that it’s all ultra realistic, large scale open map stuff, when I dont like that. I am more a fan of the CoD style multiplayer. Small player numbers, chaotic, small maps and close quarter.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

That Little Demon posted:

:siren: This Friday, 4/25/24, I will be doing a marathon of the PSX version of Diablo 1 because of reaching 30 subs on twitch :siren:

I will be playing from level 1, through every difficulty, until beating diablo on the hardest setting. I expect a 12-14 hour stream.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sable ran like rear end but I didn’t really care since it’s not an action game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I had my first party wipe in FF3. It was on Echidna who turned to be absolutely brutal and got me with two full party attacks back-to-back. Yeesh. However it turns out this game has an autosave! So I immediately fought him again and won, hurray. I'm also very grateful for the quick save feature which means I can put it aside for a day rather than slog through all of Crystal Tower and World of Darkness in one go. Still though, this is such a tough block of final dungeons. Perhaps the hardest in the entire franchise?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Friday is the 26th

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e:.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Rarity posted:

I had my first party wipe in FF3. It was on Echidna who turned to be absolutely brutal and got me with two full party attacks back-to-back. Yeesh. However it turns out this game has an autosave! So I immediately fought him again and won, hurray. I'm also very grateful for the quick save feature which means I can put it aside for a day rather than slog through all of Crystal Tower and World of Darkness in one go. Still though, this is such a tough block of final dungeons. Perhaps the hardest in the entire franchise?

I only played the DS version, but I did so twice, ten years apart, and both time I just fuckin gave up at the final dungeon. It's the only non-MMO Final Fantasy I never beat :mad:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jay Rust posted:

Friday is the 26th

I'm just here to crosspost

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

xoFcitcrA posted:

Got it. Is there something about those tweets that make them any worse / more embarassing than any others? Without context, those seemed like pretty bog-standard "angry impotent ranting" tweets. (I have no idea what they were in reference to.)

They called Jewish American student protestors for peace in Palestine capos, and said they would be put on a train to Auschwitz. They were in reference to the ongoing Palestinian genocide in Gaza.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

wizard2 posted:

Blizzard was finally going to eat Grinding Gear Games' tasty $1 bil a year lunch with Diablo 4 but woke had to happen, also China 😡

And there is definitely an audience for a more casual PoE, given that you need a doctorate to make a build in that game so its a lot harder for people to just jump in and play without digging through guides.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Everything about OW2 is baffling to me. I think most casual players who enjoyed Overwatch liked the characters and really couldn't have cared less about the PvP. A less toxic co-op PvE mode seemed like such an obvious thing to do, but Blizzard delayed doing anything about that for 6 years and then just cancelled it all anyway.

everything about OW2 makes sense when you understand that jeff kaplan (and, presumably, several of the other lead devs) wanted to be showrunners for an MMO, not a PVP-focused FPS, and so they left the actually successful product to rot on the vine while they poured all their resources into trying to recreate the dream of project titan, whose failure had brought them to OW in the first place

my personal opinion is that developing what amounted to destiny lite while keeping the PVP side of the game alive was always untenable without a ludicrous resource investment from blizzard. reports of behind-the-scenes inefficiency and a focus on perfectionism certainly didn't help, but the ability for a PVE mode to be profitable enough in the long term to keep adding content and maintain what was previously added is questionable; league's had a few of them, and they were all less popular than the PVP modes by several orders of magnitude

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vermain posted:

league's had a few of them, and they were all less popular than the PVP modes by several orders of magnitude

Unless you count Path of Champions in Runeterra, though monetization remains an issue.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Unless you count Path of Champions in Runeterra, though monetization remains an issue.

true enough, although i think LoR ended up catering to a different market, especially post-arcane when people were looking for something league-related that was more casual and comprehensible than the base game

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I've discovered I can't play games any more, my attention span has completely gone to poo poo way more than it already was. I bought Monster Hunter Rise a dog's age ago and only got around to trying it yesterday but it's way too many loving words. I need a game that is suitable for people like myself who are incapable of learning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

good version of the game!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I've discovered I can't play games any more, my attention span has completely gone to poo poo way more than it already was. I bought Monster Hunter Rise a dog's age ago and only got around to trying it yesterday but it's way too many loving words. I need a game that is suitable for people like myself who are incapable of learning.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1775490/Slice__Dice/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PeabodyAwards/status/1783556584167109084?t=Ti2L-AHBwT2sem47UjvhHw&s=19

Pentiment up for a Peabody, Defunctland is heavy competition

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

what did the milwaukee public library do

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

what did the milwaukee public library do

Rich Evans read Star Trek TNG Extended Universe novels to children

Pentiment stands zero chance

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A goon winning a Peabody...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I said come in! posted:

I played so so so so so much Day of Defeat back in the day

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

big deal. I pee from my body all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I played so so so so so much Day of Defeat back in the day

yeah! the original mod for half life took over my life when it was new.