Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Mixed, my biggest issue with Horizon 5 is how much it wants to force its car festival vibes and characters on you, with endless voice dialog that you cant skip, and introducing you to new stuff. Once you get through all of that though then you are mostly good. You can also create your own races, and play races created by other players, and you get unlocks, rank ups, and money from this stuff too. The game is super generous in throwing cars at you for free. So much so that a lot of players actually feel like it cheapens the game because there’s nothing to really work towards.

Sounding sorta what I'm after. Trying to convince the lads to join me in grabbing it while it's on sale.

Subjunctive posted:

so I am told that Tarkov devs decided to gently caress the players who were captured enough to pay $140 USD for “all future DLC”, by releasing a $250 version with a mode that the 140-dollar peasants don’t get

just breathtaking, really

Our extended friend group has a Discord server for the various games we play, and I got super interested in Tarkov as there was a couple of blokes that were playing it. Watched some videos, and it looked interesting enough that I'd been considering buying it the next time a wipe/sale happens.

That new edition, with all the taxes included, is $436 AUD :lol:
Gives a bunch of Pay To Win stuff, which helps gently caress over any owners of the base editions, and offers effectively exclusive access to a new game mode.

Absolute masterclass in how to instantly turn an entire community against the developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Where are the Mummy killing games? Zombies and vampires for days and no mummies

Mummies are zombies

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Mummies are zombies

They are zombie jerky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Mummies are zombies

Nah. Mummies are usually not able to turn you into a mummy too and tend to be more resistant to non-fire damage. They are both undead but zombies are clearly lower-tier, which is why you have to be careful not to throw toilet paper at a zombie lest it evolve.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Where are the Mummy killing games? Zombies and vampires for days and no mummies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1c-GbV_Bis&t=354s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbc4ayvcQo0&t=270s

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Infinitum posted:

How is Forza Horizon 5 in terms of just jumping it and doing a bunch of cool races while absolutely fanging it without having to unlock a bunch of poo poo?

Nothing has topped Burnout 3 yet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Infinitum posted:

Sounding sorta what I'm after. Trying to convince the lads to join me in grabbing it while it's on sale.

Our extended friend group has a Discord server for the various games we play, and I got super interested in Tarkov as there was a couple of blokes that were playing it. Watched some videos, and it looked interesting enough that I'd been considering buying it the next time a wipe/sale happens.

Gives a bunch of Pay To Win stuff, which helps gently caress over any owners of the base editions, and offers effectively exclusive access to a new game mode.

Absolute masterclass in how to instantly turn an entire community against the developers.

No it's fine now, they're gonna let people who had the old version play the new mode!

For six months.

Look, it's NOT DLC. It's a new game mode. It's different.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yep. a dlc is content that you download into the game. we're merely allowing you to acquire game matter from our server

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Delistable content

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they’ll learn from this and the $500 version will be a new game called “Tarkov Prime”, featuring cross-play with “Tarkov Classic”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I looked up Tarkov and I'm pretty surprised. It looked like any military shooting game. I knew it wasn't my thing so I never looked into it but for some reason I could've swore that it was a shooting and scavenging game but from an overhead perspective, mostly black and green, maybe ASCII or ASCII adjacent, and was some combo of zombie apocalypse roguelike and DayZ. Is that something else or did I just make up a game to fill in the blanks?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

you might be thinking of Project Zomboid

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

I looked up Tarkov and I'm pretty surprised. It looked like any military shooting game. I knew it wasn't my thing so I never looked into it but for some reason I could've swore that it was a shooting and scavenging game but from an overhead perspective, mostly black and green, maybe ASCII or ASCII adjacent, and was some combo of zombie apocalypse roguelike and DayZ. Is that something else or did I just make up a game to fill in the blanks?

it is a shooting and scavenging game but yeah no overhead/zombie bits.
the whole gimmick is that your inventory of guns, body armor, healing items, etc is all persistent between rounds and all costs ingame money to buy.
you've gotta make money by looting good poo poo from the maps and getting out alive without other players killing you for your loot, and the better gear you take in the more you're risking since you lose it all if you die.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you can also make in-game money by mining in-game bitcoin or something, no?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah Zomboid looks more like what I was picturing, but not all apple ][ style black and green computer display style. I suppose you can just imagine any game you're not that familiar with to have those kind of graphics though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Goddamn Forza, cya tomorrow I guess lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I remember fighting the mummy in Super Castlevania IV, he would shoot bandage projectiles at you

Edit: also i guess he controlled the clock tower for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDM5ZQsg7M

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
lmao at the 360 degree whip waggle

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Yeah Zomboid looks more like what I was picturing, but not all apple ][ style black and green computer display style. I suppose you can just imagine any game you're not that familiar with to have those kind of graphics though.

It also kind of sounds like you could be describing ZERO Sievert, it’s overhead and a post apocalypse/extraction shooter although not as limited graphics-wise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I don't know how the wiggle video didn't kill the game, so I'd give it good odds of surviving this too. tarkov has some kind of occult power that binds its players to the game no matter what it does

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Decided to play through Ghost Trick, which I didn’t realise is a 14 year old game now. It still holds up: the characters are awesome although the puzzles are pretty easy so far. Shame there wasn’t a sequel that built on the ideas of the game though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The opening to FF4 is loving wild. Cecil is actively a war criminal who not just participates in state violence but perpetuates its system throughout his troops. And when he gets removed from command for not murdering hard enough his response, rather than to denounce the unethical commands of his king, is to go do a genocide bomb in hope of getting his post back. And then - after being personally responsible for the deaths of hundreds - when he finally decides to break ranks he does so by kidnapping a child who's mum he just killed. How the gently caress did this guy end up the protagonist

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

the wiggle video

Cheers for this, just watched it and.. yeaaah that's a LOT of cheating, even if the sample size is relatively small.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rarity posted:

The opening to FF4 is loving wild. Cecil is actively a war criminal who not just participates in state violence but perpetuates its system throughout his troops. And when he gets removed from command for not murdering hard enough his response, rather than to denounce the unethical commands of his king, is to go do a genocide bomb in hope of getting his post back. And then - after being personally responsible for the deaths of hundreds - when he finally decides to break ranks he does so by kidnapping a child who's mum he just killed. How the gently caress did this guy end up the protagonist
I mean, he didn't know it was a bomb. And I don't know if it's in extra materials or what, but the king was his adoptive father, which is why he found it difficult to face up to how cruel his orders were becoming.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was literally called a bomb ring

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some later versions call it the "Carnelian Signet", but that's a TL flourish and the original name does literally translate as Bomb Ring.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also, I enjoyed the Something Awful shoutout :unsmith:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol so cheaters in Tarkov just wait around and camp together?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

haveblue posted:

Tarkov implodes, Marathon moves into the vacuum, Bungie stays winning

I can't even describe my disappointment when, after binging Mandalore videos about Marathon games, I find out that remake is going to be extraction shooter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wouldn't play Maple Story one way or the other

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Szarrukin posted:

I can't even describe my disappointment when, after binging Mandalore videos about Marathon games, I find out that remake is going to be extraction shooter.

i have no direct evidence, but my strong suspicion is that they're quietly retooling the concept after the combination of widespread public apathy over the reveal and the total implosion of hyenas. anyone trying to develop an extraction shooter after the latter may as well be flushing bills down the toilet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

Considering the names of equipment in the game, that doesn't necessarily lead him to expect it is a "suddenly activate when I go to a village and burn everything for no reason" ring.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rarity posted:

Do you think that characters within the game can go into the inventory screen and see what stuff is called?

Or does it being named a certain thing rather than something like ??? imply that the character has knowledge of that name?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mystes posted:

Do you think that characters within the game can go into the inventory screen and see what stuff is called?

lmao this was a plot point in Death Stranding

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vermain posted:

i have no direct evidence, but my strong suspicion is that they're quietly retooling the concept after the combination of widespread public apathy over the reveal and the total implosion of hyenas. anyone trying to develop an extraction shooter after the latter may as well be flushing bills down the toilet

So anyway, Synduality

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah but that one has mechas in it so it's gotta be cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

no....

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Many people have likened their enjoyment of so-called "extraction shooters" to getting a tooth pulled, hence the name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mystes posted:

Or does it being named a certain thing rather than something like ??? imply that the character has knowledge of that name?

The king called it a bomb ring in open dialogue