Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Bomb ring meant the ring looked cool, like "Yo, that's a bomb ring you got."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Anyway it turns out Cecil's plan to protect his 8 year old captive is to take her directly into an active war zone. Along with his new friend, an amnesiac who sees his daughter as property because her won't let her get married without his consent. Truly a company of heroes.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
They just really liked NFL Blitz okay?

Da Bomb Ring

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Vermain posted:

and the total implosion of hyenas.

Its so loving unreal how quickly that game got strangled to death by its publisher once they finally realized what a bomb they had on their hands. IIRC it wasn't even in early access for a month before they flushed its corpse down a toilet and tried to wash their hands of the whole affair.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
iirc it never even went early access, they torpedo'd it after the first public in-person playtests at gamescom

this video is the last relic of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFoP2E850jA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Part of it was also that too much money had been dumped into the project already, and the disastrous reveal would have meant either a costly retool or an embarrassing flop that wouldn't have made money back anyway

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

iirc it never even went early access, they torpedo'd it after the first public in-person playtests at gamescom

this video is the last relic of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFoP2E850jA

yeah, you might've been partly mixing it up with crucible, the amazon produced MOBA that cratered within a week of its release and was consequently shoved back into "closed beta" before being quietly shelved for good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1784269708847411235?t=WiS0B5yoIYrNX8sq0CyE-w&s=19

Jesus

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF4: Grandpa Patriarchy has left to fight an entire kingdom's military with just his faulty memory and a stick so now I'm hanging out with Cecil's comatose girlfriend and a blithering idiot. Also Rydia appears to have stockholm syndrome.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The sequel to Escape from Tarkov - Enter Tarkov

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. Mummies are usually not able to turn you into a mummy too and tend to be more resistant to non-fire damage. They are both undead but zombies are clearly lower-tier, which is why you have to be careful not to throw toilet paper at a zombie lest it evolve.

I feel like the problem with mummies vs zombies is since mummies can't self-sustain their population in the way that zombies can, they're more limited. Killing 5000 zombies in a game makes sense. 5000 people turned to zombies after getting infected. Killing 5000 mummies in a game would not as much. 5000 people died and then others came along and mummified them.

So you get situations like zombies for the fodder and mummies for the bosses.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ImpAtom posted:

Mummies are usually not able to turn you into a mummy too
One of Metal Slug's great features!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Chev posted:

One of Metal Slug's great features!
Always love that you can try and play through it, too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Mummies are just the 1% of zombies, of course they don't want more of themselves.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what about hypothetically-mummy-related ancient aliens

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game is apparently ultra popular despite not being on steam or console. Everything I hear about it though is that it has an out of control cheating situation that the devs cant get a handle on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Worth a hundred and forty bones!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hwurmp posted:

what about hypothetically-mummy-related ancient aliens

See - this is the way to do mummies. An ancient alien relic that just auto-coverts all dead to mummies.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This game is apparently ultra popular despite not being on steam or console. Everything I hear about it though is that it has an out of control cheating situation that the devs cant get a handle on.

This is the wiggle video mentioned earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek

If nothing else the vids probably killed off any interest I had in picking up Tarkov

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like the problem with mummies vs zombies is since mummies can't self-sustain their population in the way that zombies can, they're more limited. Killing 5000 zombies in a game makes sense. 5000 people turned to zombies after getting infected. Killing 5000 mummies in a game would not as much. 5000 people died and then others came along and mummified them.

So you get situations like zombies for the fodder and mummies for the bosses.

Teach the mummies how to mummify. This would also support a robust economy as mummification requires so many different resources and skills and craftspeople and farmers etc etc.

Truth is most zombie apocalypses can simply be waited out, after consuming all easy prey their whole society collapses, nobody does anything besides shamble and even that just wears them all down. Fossil records show most zombie eras last astonished short times and are always followed by a resurgence of natural life, zombies having long turned into fertilizer.

A trained mummy apocalypse however could sustain itself indefinitely. Only needing to grow enough to sustain various bandage and oily materials. Their bigger struggles might be a relative lack of desertification, as their unlifestyles would naturally incur less ecological damage.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:laffo: The Gray Zone, another very cool looking realistic extraction shooter seems to be capitalising on Tarkov's fuckup.

They're announcing the early access date Monday, so I reckon they're scrambling to get things setup to launch as is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8DyVR3bPG8

Unreal Engine 5 makes this thing look gorgeous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OepwuP_cw5g

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I'm the man getting closer the more money is spent

(didn't the kid icarus game on the DS do this already)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rarity posted:

The opening to FF4 is loving wild. Cecil is actively a war criminal who not just participates in state violence but perpetuates its system throughout his troops. And when he gets removed from command for not murdering hard enough his response, rather than to denounce the unethical commands of his king, is to go do a genocide bomb in hope of getting his post back. And then - after being personally responsible for the deaths of hundreds - when he finally decides to break ranks he does so by kidnapping a child who's mum he just killed.

TECHNICALLY Cecil isn't a war criminal because War Crimes were only formally codified as something you can be persecuted for after the formation of nation states and their written agreements with one another on the conduct of war. Before then that's just Part Of Doing War. That being said even after the development of the various codes of military conduct they often don't apply to non state level actors (see: colonialism, War on Terror, etc.). Everything else is pretty normal for someone in his position because in feudalism your loyalty is to your lord and in this case he answers directly to the king, who is of course a piece of poo poo but it's not like the system offers him any alternate paths for this because the concept of "for the people" does not exist in feudalism.

That being said

quote:

How the gently caress did this guy end up the protagonist

FF4 was released in 1991, that's within living memory of WWII but more accurately Occupation. Cecil is at his core a meek, nice guy who was corrupted by the system and its leaders into performing heinous acts and only through the aid of a wise old man, a pair of magic children, some deep introspection and literally confronting himself does he acknowledge and deal with the hatred in his heart. This is basically the zeitgeist of post-war Japan, although I don't think MacArthur had magic children under his tutelage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Infinitum posted:

This is the wiggle video mentioned earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LfGcDB7Ek

If nothing else the vids probably killed off any interest I had in picking up Tarkov

This video is 40 minutes long, summarize it in 25 words or less! :argh:

No seriously, I'm curious what "the wiggle" is but not enough to watch a 40 minute video, can somebody tell me what it is? :shobon:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're some Australian guys who are way into primary colors and fruit salad

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jerusalem posted:

No seriously, I'm curious what "the wiggle" is but not enough to watch a 40 minute video, can somebody tell me what it is? :shobon:

The streamer bought paid tarkov wallhacks and went into maps trying to find other cheaters/wallhackers.

He would find people he thought were behaving like hackers, stare right at them though walls and wiggle back and forth to basically "wave" to them and show them he was wallhacking too. Then they, having seem him with their own wallhacks, would wiggle right back.

He did this over and over again in match after match and the video is just a bunch of different example clips showing how widespread Tarkov hackers really are.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eej posted:

This is basically the zeitgeist of post-war Japan, although I don't think MacArthur had magic children under his tutelage.

He had a few but they were found to have communist sympathies and were discharged and quietly scrubbed from the record.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jerusalem posted:

You can skip to around 5:00 to see the wiggle.

Basically it's a bit of a mutual 'signal' to let other cheaters (wall-hackers specifically) know that you are a cheater. If you're using a wallhacking cheat and you're looking at someone close-by who suspiciously seems to be tracking/looking at you directly despite their being a wall between you two, you can 'wiggle' (leaning left and right) around: it's a silly nonsense emote that shouldn't be visible to that person if they weren't cheating, but if that person is a wallhacker, they will, apparently, acknowledge your silly wiggle by wiggling back, confirming their cheating affiliation. From there, typically they become friendly with each other, either teaming up or splitting up, not wanting to step on a fellow cheater's toes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

With ESP, which gives you the stick figure overlay, they were wiggling their character by leaning left to right. So other cheaters at a distance can see you through walls 'wiggling', so they'd know you were also cheating.

Using that method they were able to semi-reliably spot cheaters and get a response.

Of the 120ish games they played while cheating they were able to confirm the presence of cheaters in 60% of them.

Gaius Marius posted:

They're some Australian guys who are way into primary colors and fruit salad

Yummy yummy :hmmyes:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 28, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanks for the explanations, everybody!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well at that point it's just part of the game, might as well sell wall hacks in the shop.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

honestly the most memorable thing I learned from the video when I first saw it was the fact that cheaters go out of their way to identify and avoid killing each other, so they only ever have to fight ordinary players who don't have the same advantages. guess it's consistent with cheaters being juvenile loving babies incapable of dealing with losing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why lose with grace when you can just avoid losing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Prince of Africa Tales of Kenzera: 6/10. It's good to see a really fresh and original setting and some relatively rare representation but they didn't quite pull off the game part. Abubakar Salim (Bayek in AC: Origins, also Father on Raised By Wolves) owns the studio that made it and also got a creative director credit, so I guess he was pretty hands-on for the whole process, and for a first effort it's not bad but unfortunately it landed between two really, really good 2D platformers (probably)

It's got a neat light-and-dark thing going on where you have two modes and each one has different powers and is more or less effective on certain enemies. When the combat is working, the flow is pretty good and the powers (especially the melee mode attacks) are nice and impactful, but it has a habit of giving enemies hyperarmor so the melee mode is dangerous to use until you figure out how to blast it off them. Combat can also be pretty hard to read with all the glows and particles flying around but maybe that's just a me problem

It at first seems like it's going to be a metroidvania but it's actually an almost completely linear path with a lot of backtracking built in. It still does has ability-gated unlocks lying around, though, and not enough fast travel points so getting them all feels like padding. Some of the platform challenges were a little much, especially the late-game ones that rely on a power bound to holding a button down for a moment so it's very hard to activate it precisely on time

It's also pretty unpolished and buggy. Hazard collision shapes are just a little bit bigger than you expect. The camera fairly often loses track of you while trying to perform a cinematic change of perspective (and then you die because you crashed into something while you couldn't see where you were going). Some puzzles require an awful lot of effort to go around for another try if you gently caress them up, especially one involving a crate floating down a lava river. There are a lot of places where you will dearly wish it did the now-standard checkpoint on safe touchdown rather than kicking you back to the start of the entire sequence. It has an issue where the analog stick doesn't do anything when returning from a menu until you release and recenter it, and a much more irritating tendency for your character to suddenly become unresponsive for a moment (sometimes in the middle of combat!) which I hope they clean up with a patch

That said it was also :20bux: so I can't complain too much

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

Prince of Africa Tales of Kenzera: 6/10.

WAIT WAIT WAIT

It's not a "Tales of" series game? The devs can't possibly be unaware that they're using the same title scheme as a JRPG series that's been popular since the 90s, right?
I mean, I'd seen the title but never gave it a look because I assumed it was a "Tales of" game and I already have a million JRPGs in the queue. Way to shoot yourself in the foot by giving it a title that ensures that anyone who doesn't like JRPGs or anime stylings will NEVER LOOK AT IT.

Game devs / publishers are absurdly bad at naming things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Tales of the Shire will soon supplant Tales of RPGs as the default holder of Tales.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People were understandably confused when the Tales of Middle-Earth set for Magic came out.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
The only one I know is Tails Gets Trolled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

tales of kenzera is cool because i watched the skillup review for it and then the algorithm decided that the related videos it should shove into my recommends were all "tales of kenzera is another WOKE FAILURE from SWEET BABY INC" horseshit