Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1775224761200578596

This looks okay! Probably just average and forgettable at best, but looking forward to seeing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Being able to TK monsters into each other is a good start

Did they or Twitter gently caress up the upload? It cuts off hard at a weird place

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Everything I hear about Dragon's Dogma 2 is people going "This game is annoying and frustrating and bad and it's FUNDAMENTAL to the design of the game to be bad so that's why it's good actually" and I gotta say it's not really selling me on the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Everything I hear about Dragon's Dogma 2 is people going "This game is annoying and frustrating and bad and it's FUNDAMENTAL to the design of the game to be bad so that's why it's good actually" and I gotta say it's not really selling me on the game.

I don't know why people are saying these things. I don't find any aspect of the game frustrating or annoying personally.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

https://twitter.com/Bodaciousbro/status/1772948007622766896

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

idk if youre synthesizing two different peoples opinions on it or just one inarticulate moron's, but the interesting thing about DD is that its a very hostile world thats a little unforgiving but without getting sadistic about it. travel is something that is really meaningful and has to be well considered because in the beginning at least you can't just easily get where you want to go, its like, the game with the second most meaningful travel mechanics behind death stranding. quests have a lot of solutions and many of them are, bad, and the games relatively unconcerned about you missing them or loving them up without prior information. combats not super technical like dark souls but its unforgiving and if you mess up you are likely to get grabbed by a harpy and tossed in the ocean or dragged off by wolves or knocked down by a goblin while all his friends gently caress up your health bar (semi-permanently)

its a game with a lot of friction, in ways that most games dont but also, in a way that kinda evokes the feeling of old school d&d a little bit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a pretty straightforward game where you run around and have fun fighting monsters. It discourages fast travel somewhat, so some folks are acting like it's a huge bold statement of game design instead the basic stuff that we had in final fantasy 1.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

og dragon's dogma didn't really grab me. Ironic

I recently re-bought it on switch (it was like 4 bux) but didn't get past the opening tutorial before doing something else (Chants of sennaar I believe)

If anyone wants extra details, HMU!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nice skyrim mod, what else does it add?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

It's a pretty straightforward game where you run around and have fun fighting monsters. It discourages fast travel somewhat, so some folks are acting like it's a huge bold statement of game design instead the basic stuff that we had in final fantasy 1.
it is when nearly every other game that looks like it, all the interstitial space between locations might as well not exist

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most of the bad parts are not somehow necessary. it’s just a very questionably designed game in many ways with really unfortunate world design and balance tuning.

DD1 is one of those games where there’s a lot of extremely good parts and extremely bad parts in the same package. The highs are high and the lows are low, but for me it averages out to a pretty unique and worthwhile game. I was looking forward to DD2 at least being that good, but so far it’s been flatter in both directions and really hasn’t lived up to the expectation of “DD1 but with enough budget to realize the original vision.” I have a long way left to go so it could still improve (DD1 certainly did as it went on), but searching for the very sparse interesting parts of the world otherwise covered with repetitive filler has rapidly overleveled me far past any challenge, so there isn’t much to get excited about.

anecdotally, I’ve seen very few people who have finished the game say it lived up to their hopes for a sequel.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

homeless snail posted:

idk if youre synthesizing two different peoples opinions on it or just one inarticulate moron's, but the interesting thing about DD is that its a very hostile world thats a little unforgiving but without getting sadistic about it. travel is something that is really meaningful and has to be well considered because in the beginning at least you can't just easily get where you want to go, its like, the game with the second most meaningful travel mechanics behind death stranding. quests have a lot of solutions and many of them are, bad, and the games relatively unconcerned about you missing them or loving them up without prior information. combats not super technical like dark souls but its unforgiving and if you mess up you are likely to get grabbed by a harpy and tossed in the ocean or dragged off by wolves or knocked down by a goblin while all his friends gently caress up your health bar (semi-permanently)

its a game with a lot of friction, in ways that most games dont but also, in a way that kinda evokes the feeling of old school d&d a little bit

I don't really like friction in games unless I'm playing a Platformer or very rare cases like Death Stranding, it's why I usually play games on easy mode, and get annoyed at things taking too long etc, so I get pretty weary of games where everyone hypes up said friction. It mostly sounds like the moving around the world would frustrate me, the combat looks pretty good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its not a game for everyone

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it's rated M (for mature)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven't looked at esrb ratings in a while, elden ring is Mature?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

haveblue posted:

from what I hear, combat that is actually good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

from what I hear, combat that is actually good

Eh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you can kill humans and blood comes out that alone pretty much guarantees Mature

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

haveblue posted:

If you can kill humans and blood comes out that alone pretty much guarantees Mature

And yet Mario Party is rated E?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I said come in! posted:

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1775224761200578596

This looks okay! Probably just average and forgettable at best, but looking forward to seeing more.

I will gladly read the words "inspired by Shadow of the Colossus" as many times as devs are willing to make journalists write them. I recently discovered that SotC has very little replay value once you know the boss patterns, and I'm really itching for something to actually recapture that vibe again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

https://twitter.com/PrizzaaGaming/status/1772835939586301960

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
The idea that the world of Dragons Dogma 2 is harsh or hostile gets thrown out the window like 5 hours in where you become overpowered very quickly and almost nothing catches up.

Macaluso posted:

I don't really like friction in games unless I'm playing a Platformer or very rare cases like Death Stranding, it's why I usually play games on easy mode, and get annoyed at things taking too long etc, so I get pretty weary of games where everyone hypes up said friction. It mostly sounds like the moving around the world would frustrate me, the combat looks pretty good.

Ignore the whole friction chat on DD2, the game is at it's best when exploring and when you really want fast travel they usually give teleport stones. Unless you're doing quests or the main quest it's a good world to just run about and encounter things.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a great game for just popping into for an hour and then saving out and getting back to whatever. Last several times I loaded in and just wandered around vaguely towards a destination for a quest and fought some stuff as my new class and enjoyed my pawns telling me the roses I stopped to smell are generally used as a material.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Feel guilty killing the Griffins and Chimeras but they’re always starting poo poo so its hard to avoid. Drakes and Cyclopses can go extinct though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Owl Inspector posted:

Most of the bad parts are not somehow necessary. it’s just a very questionably designed game in many ways with really unfortunate world design and balance tuning.

DD1 is one of those games where there’s a lot of extremely good parts and extremely bad parts in the same package. The highs are high and the lows are low, but for me it averages out to a pretty unique and worthwhile game. I was looking forward to DD2 at least being that good, but so far it’s been flatter in both directions and really hasn’t lived up to the expectation of “DD1 but with enough budget to realize the original vision.” I have a long way left to go so it could still improve (DD1 certainly did as it went on), but searching for the very sparse interesting parts of the world otherwise covered with repetitive filler has rapidly overleveled me far past any challenge, so there isn’t much to get excited about.

anecdotally, I’ve seen very few people who have finished the game say it lived up to their hopes for a sequel.

DD1 was the most expensive game Capcom had ever made and DD2 probably cost 5 times as much and it's still half a game so maybe Capcom just can't afford to make these, or they're really bad at managing projects

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i will say it lived up to my hopes for a sequel!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lets hang out posted:

DD1 was the most expensive game Capcom had ever made and DD2 probably cost 5 times as much and it's still half a game so maybe Capcom just can't afford to make these, or they're really bad at managing projects

Even more than Monster Hunter World, or some of the Resident Evil games? Seems like DD was just very poorly managed if it was that expensive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Macaluso posted:

One of the lines the Emerald Herald tells you while you're skipping her dialogue in DS2 to level up already is to Seek Adversity

The adversity is the fun of it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i like friction; dd2 is just kinda boring

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

i like friction; dd2 is just kinda boring

This was my issue. I got bored. But I know a ton love the dd games so I believe they are well made for who their rather audience is. It's just not me.

After beating Pentiment I've started up Yakuza 0 again. I'm gonna try to clear out my entire like a dragon backlog

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Even more than Monster Hunter World, or some of the Resident Evil games? Seems like DD was just very poorly managed if it was that expensive.

No, most expensive at the time. Think RE6 blew past it shortly afterward.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/b0tster/status/1775191464147829064?s=20

Hell yeag

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

my only exposure to dd2 is through this thread and videos like this so i just assume the actual game is extremely absurd, more than bg3 but with less horny

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm willing to bet that it's also horny

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quick diablo 4 question... the oft-discussed noel caldwell-gervais video gave me the impression that it's best to NOT do any of the side quests and exploration during the campaign, because you end up hitting the level cap far too soon, is that accurate? Especially now since i guess there's a special event happening now that increases xp gain by 35% (cannot be toggled off)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dont do the campaign at all and watch the cutscenes on Youtube instead.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Dont buy the game at all and watch the cutscenes on Youtube instead.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I'm willing to bet that it's also horny
there are two quests where your reward is a sex scene lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm skipping those until I'm married

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008