Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think what's disappointing about DD2 is that it's achingly short of being a great game. if they'd squashed vermund by, like, 15% and put their resource budget towards adding more monster variety and squeezing in a large dungeon or two, then you'd have a genuine GotY experience, but it's running on fumes for a lot of the back half

it's at least something that can be theoretically fixed with some DLC so while i'm not holding my breath, the possibility's at least there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dark souls 2 ftw.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

credburn posted:

I don't know where else to show this to anyone

https://i.imgur.com/U2KmkG1.mp4

I've been learning Python and while doing so have been working on a project that I actually started in 2006 when I tried to learn C++. It's just a post-apocalypse version of The Oregon Trail. I've got most of the systems working, and there are little ASCII animations I made for various events. Anyway, I made a montage of them.

hell yeah, good poo poo gamester

i've been pounding away at my own game and finally figured out a way to efficiently transfer 2D tile data to blender so i can more easily generate and test level layouts. pretty exciting to finally be near the point where i can have an honest to god vertical slice

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

frankly can't think of a better person to lead the narrative design on your queer-focused game series than a cis white dude who thinks that women expressing primal human emotions like anger is verboten

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

but yeah idk, obvs i feel bad for the devs if they were getting creeped on but the weird like... self-important a lot of western single a devs have because they made a bad game with a gay in it is kind of infuriating. they really think theyre like, the first people to ever do it when theres been equivalent games for 20+ years.

i think it's a more general tendency to want to overinflate the social value of the art you create, especially in a smaller corporate setting where it feels like you're putting more of yourself into the end product rather than being environmental artist #23 in a team of 500

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://x.com/sanyx91smm2/status/1776407036160291101

Legitimate Trimming the Herbs clear, just days before Super Mario Maker shuts down

was that the "i TASed this poo poo" one? jesus

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

don't you guys have ROMs on your phone?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Played a bit of Wanted: Dead

hey this game's kinda cool

jacob geller had a cool video on that game where he talks about it in the context of the importance of having authentic, heartfelt titles like it out in the market. the inherent conservatism of corporate profit seeking has meant an industry with fewer risks and a far more sandpapered landscape devoid of rough edges, so having a game that's just filled to the brim with ideas whose market testing was "all three of us guys in this conference room liked it" are more important than ever

i think it's part of the reason i'm so positive on DD2 despite its clear flaws: it's got a real honest-to-god personality that catches your interest and keeps you hooked just to see where it all goes. the fact that it sold as well as it did in the first week makes me hopeful we'll start seeing more of that risk taking in the industry, especially with palworld and helldivers 2 being such surprise hits in the same year

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I also saw an opinion piece saying that Dragon's Dogma 2's success despite its friction might mean the market is primed for a Dead Rising reboot that goes back to the systems of the first one, since it came from that same kinda era in Capcom's history where they were just trying things out.

[banging knife and fork on table] more games with timers! more games with timers!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pleasantly surprised that parasyte: the grey's actually not too shabby. didn't think it was possible for them to make the goofy bugeye parasyte design work for realistic CGI, but they hit a nice degree of stylization that doesn't look too out of place

i think it'd actually make a halfway decent concept for some kind of limited open world game where you're trying to avoid getting whacked by parasytes blending into the crowd

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

who’s the guy with the owl friend

the pursuer, although it's admittedly hard to tell it's an eagle and not an owl from the limited glimpses you get

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

idk what it is with that genre but I played 50-60 hours of Slay the Spire back when it came out/enjoyed it and was all roguelike deckbuildered out for the rest of my life + my eyes glaze over when I see a screenshot of a game with cards and some guys facing each other

my ultimate problem with roguelike deckbuilders is that they're fun for the first little while when your primary goal is stitching together a build out of what you're given and flexing your creative muscle, but they quickly become tedious once you get into higher difficulty settings due to the importance of luck mitigation and card efficiency. you typically end up with a deck built around a single central gimmick (usually exponentially increasing damage/defense) that's then padded with enough retain and redraw to avoid poo poo draw curves, and so the only real gambler's high left is whether you get the relics/augments/whatever you need to meet the necessary attack/defense threshholds to win

you do get the occasional neat gimmick like dead branch that's fun to play with, but it's rare to get those pieces early enough to build around, and having to slog through a bunch of what often feel like autopilot runs to get those gleaming nuggets rarely feels worth it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would like to see Digital Eclipse do The Making of Prince of Persia

ars technia had a mini-doc on prince of persia as part of their war stories series. it's not fully fledged, but it does go a bit into the production process, and even has some of the rotoscoping footage of the guy's brother doing the iconic forward jump in a parking lot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

one thing i found kinda fascinating was that the process for creating private EQ servers like p99 was apparently way less straightforwards than for something like ragnarok online or WoW. since the game was so ancient by the point where people could run whole game servers by themselves trivially, there'd been almost no packet scraping done and information from the past eras wasn't always consistently archived on allahkazam, so the people making the emulator had to do a full-on archaeological expedition into old dead forums and wayback machine snapshots to try and figure out how certain mechanics were intended to work or what the values for spells/items were supposed to have been in that expac

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

true norrathian classic everquest

true everquest for true norrathians

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

part of StS's charm is that it's got a low rent "indie studio trying their best" art style, and the sequel having something more overproduced like a mobile gacha title or some kind of polished cel shaded style would take away a lot of that

it does look like they're adding additional flair here and there, like the silence is doing a hitstun animation in one of the screenshots, and the larger scale of the shop sprites makes it clear they're not merely sitting on their laurels in terms of art

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it is pretty funny to accuse mega crit of penny pinching when their reveal trailer is a 40 second long gorgeously hand animated cinematic, something you generally cannot get off of fiverr

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if graphical fidelity isn't meant to be a big draw for your game, which it categorically was not in StS, then it's better to stick with a recognizable house style rather than breaking the bank getting custom third party art that risks alienating the fans of your original title

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ironstylus is 100% correct but this also highlights the absolute impotence of twitter as a platform for meaningful information or discussion given that i had to scroll through a sea of people who've never seen a woman irl before i could actually get to the thread

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

Reminded of when the tomb raider reboot was revealed and one of the devs or director or someone was bragging about giving Lara some baby fat so you’d feel more compelled to protect her

personally, i felt compelled to protect her because it's the entire point of the goddamn game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

By protecting her you protect yourself from those really graphic death animations.

but would you have really felt the same impact from them if lara's jawline was 13.7% less smooth

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the desexualization of tiny cars MUST be stopped

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Idc about Twitter drama involving the worst people in the world but I do wish that games would stop doing facial scans of celebrities as a gimmick. Games seem to be very insecure about the fact that they aren't movies. They should stop trying to be movies, because video games are better than movies

this is the core thrust of ironstylus' argument: facial capturing produces weird uncanny valley NPCs and takes away from the deliberate craft actual artists can leverage in making characters that are attractive by virtue of them having been sculpted instead of being digitized halloween masks

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

thats not true you still need the main character to yell 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" when they fire their hyper mega laser

reminds me of this delightful soul reaver 2 outtake with rene auberjonois (RIP) being utterly baffled at the length of the script

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a classic bit of rhetoric where you put two true statements next to eachother ("we met with our partner to discuss the leaks" and "we mutually agreed to cancel the project during the meeting") without directly linking them in any way, creating the implication that A led to B without technically lying about anything. huge scumbag energy radiating off this dude just from that alone

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"the game did not have core features that have emerged as requirements to be competitive in today's hyper aggressive market"
so sounds like despite all the weird bits trying to spin this as the fault of AI or kotaku reporting on the CEO's multiple sclerosis (why did she jump right to assuming the article would be about that rather than the game? ) they actually failed because they couldn't find any publisher leeches willing to support a game without live-service or mtx or something.

they could have failed for any number of reasons; "the game did not have core features that have emerged as requirements to be competitive in today's hyper aggressive market" is such an aggressively vague statement that it could mean anything from "we didn't have MTX" to "publishers didn't think our chosen genre had marketability", and it may well still be a dodge to avoid the harder truth of the game just not being fun and them being unable to find a way out of that design hole

the important thing here is that you could say that in, like, 250 words tops, and pumping out a meandering soliloquy that weaponizes her illness for sympathy is not the appropriate statement to make when you're shuttering an entire studio with no severance

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

what the hell is this company? some kind of fly by night publisher?

it's ostensibly a big tent company with several subsidiary studios under its umbrella ala ubisoft, but it's looking more and more like a vanity project for a guy with an overinflated ego and an addiction to trying to run a media empire. like, i'm no business genius, but maybe you oughta finish actually releasing one game first before you start up four separate studios making four separate games

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's still baffling to me that we somehow went from the 2014 gareth edwards flick that somberly treats godzilla as this smoke-shrouded mythological titan to the loving MonsterVerse where godzilla is casting a fire enchant on king kong's level 99 scrap axe to defeat mechagodzilla

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

publisher of nier automata forcefem fanfic, proud enabler of the harassment of trans game devs, and guy who once typed the tweet 'the kind of sexuality i think is dope and playful comes from lesbian women'

he is a weird freak. guy who thought liking the right politics tweets a couple times made him a voice of authority who could do no wrong

there's a kind of poetry that he ended up working for a guy that spent years talking up The Power Of Gamedev Unions until he immediately threw every single one of his employees under the bus once the rubber hit the road and his passion project was in jeopardy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Larryb posted:

On another note, how’s the live action Fallout series out of curiosity and is it based on any specific game in the franchise?

surprisingly good. much like the one piece live adaptation, i think they fully got that it had to be a bit silly and embrace the iconography to hit the right tone for everything to gel

if nothing else, it's nice to see actual practical effects coming back into the fold; goggins absolutely would have been some cartoon CGI horseshit if they'd been putting the thing out pre-covid

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

People have a very skin deep understanding and tolerance of lgbt issues (not saying that I'm some kind of genius about them either) so it's no surprise that when confronted with something outside of making sure you use the right gender and pronouns their brains short circuit. See also the Attack Helicopter short story.

there's also a strong performative drive on places like twitter where people are socially incentivized to be righteous more than they are to be good

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

2018... the last year before "The Event" changed everything

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Them Westworld folks sure can make a good season 1 of a western apocalypse.

Haven't finished it yet but so far I've liked what strings they seem to be weaving together and the split perspectives is a good way to cover different ground and player characters. And it's cool to see vaultecs evil office emails culture prewar.

season 1 westworld is fantastic scifi, although i think it primarily manages that because anthony hopkins is one of our greatest living actors and the performance he gives as dr. ford is a genuine career highlight

i think it goes off the rails past early season 2 but it's a YMMV thing; it veers away from the more interesting initial conceit into something that feels much more like generic scifi and doesn't have anyone with close to the gravitas of hopkins, but it's alright as far as scifi TV goes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mystes posted:

That's insanely dumb. Why torpedo your own story just because some people on reddit figured it out when that probably won't affect how much 99% of viewers enjoy it?

the charitable interpretation is that they were worried that they'd made the narrative too straightforwards and would thus bore people if they followed the same threads of logic they'd already established into season 2, but the more realistic interpretation is that they were mad at not being the cleverest people in the room

Khanstant posted:

Lol so their one trick would've been "oooh the people in the city r controlled as if they were the robots" ~oOoOo~

I think that's an interesting twist and interesting season 2 ending maybe but seems like showing the Westworld from perspective of the hosts is so key

what's staggering to me is that they didn't somehow understand the importance of the setting they'd created. a big part of why season 1 works is that it's, both literally and figuratively, the wild west: it's copying a genre that's historically been about humans living cliched narratives of selfish violence in a world that treats life as disposable, and so a park where real humans can come and inflict violence upon actual disposable people creates resonance. once you strip that away, you just get some loving david cage nonsense, and no one wants that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of tv, I noticed how smartphones obviate so many Seinfeld episode plots!!

there's a funny plot point in parasyte: the maxim - an anime update of an old pre-smartphone manga - that requires you to swallow the truly unbelievable scenario of a teenage girl forgetting her phone at home for it to work

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think the coolest new vegas reference in the show is when walter goggins rounds a corner, sees the number "84" spraypainted onto the ruins of a weathered wall, and simply nods ghoulishly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was waiting for johnny fiveaces personally

i'm sure you could've gotten benedict cumberbatch for cheap, too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

*rocks back and forth in chair, glances off towards the horizon* I remember that day, so long ago, when I turned the dial off for the last time. 'twas the airing of the 13th episode of breaking bad, and it was a good one I reckon, but as the sun set on that day, so too did my desire to ever watch the teevee again.

the BCS finale was the last episode of anything i watched on an honest-to-god teevee and i dunno if i'll ever pick the habit up again

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I misread it as the last thing you watched that was honest to god TV.

frankly still applicable

that show got loving robbed at the emmys, especially rhea seehorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

did someone say "goku"