Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

im straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imperium owns. I like the original dune bg more thematically because that game is like, the perfect example of how to adapt a book to a board game, but imperium has the important edge of just being a good interesting game on top of it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I would simply just play Fire Emblem instead
there's a crucial difference between FE and unicorn overlord. unicorn overlord is good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I just prefer my mech pilots to be adults and/or clothed
a-april fools...?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Am I missing something with Dragons Dogma 1 or is there no way to advance time other than resting at one of the three inns I've found that are all five minutes (or less) walk away from each other?
time advances on its own, its just like a day is something like 40 minutes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

of all the stuff in dd2, being able to camp outside is probably the one thing thats unreservedly an improvement over dd1. because dd1 is very much, just the one town and a couple of outposts and everything takes a travel day to get to

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

On the other hand it DID force you to actually interact with night time, while in DD2 campfires are all over the place so you never really have to deal with that stuff if you don't want to unless a random night attack happens (extremely rare in my experience).
I've had plenty of adventures where I was badly hosed up in the middle of nowhere and couldn't find a camp and just had to make due. It could probably stand to have maybe 30% fewer camps though, there's a couple places in particular that they're within sight of each other. also a few more time limited quests although, the way camping interacts with the unmoored world, is conceptually very cool even if it doesn't do a whole lot with it

the dark secret of both DDs though is, night time isn't that bad. it's dark and you can't see poo poo but both games are fairly easy also. I never gave a poo poo about night in DD1, and DD2 I mostly camped just because ghosts are annoying

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm still collecting my feelings about DD2 and they're definitely, mostly positive and have enjoyed every bit of the 100 hours I've put into it, but also can't help but be a little disappointed because it is not an unquantifiably better game than 1. I'm considering doing a quickie ng+ run to gently caress around with it a bit more but I think I'd be equally satisfied doing another run of DD1

moment to moment it's vastly improved and the combat is, still continuing to surprise and amaze me. but DD1 I love for the feeling of adventuring and weird rear end quest design and esoteric scenario and DD2 is a game that is mostly, quantity over quality in every regard. everything's just bigger scale but with about the same amount of Stuff. the maps multiple times larger than DD1's but, it also has about as many interesting locations just further apart, and also the same amount of monster variety as the game that's four times shorter. there are some good quests and they have some crazy contingency design where a lot of my quests just, do not resemble how other people describe them but also just proportionally a lot of them are kinda nothing. also massively expanded scope in how they expect you to interact with NPCs but, none of them really have poo poo to say or react to what's currently happening. I think I'd rather them, just make another game at DD1 scale

and the endgame is insanely cool in a way that expands from DD1's, but also, it's about as much or slightly less content than the everfall just blown out to cover the entire map so you have to travel more to see it (but traveling is, somewhat interestingly built into the design of it)

final snailscore... 85.6%. but sadly DDDA is solidly 87.4ish, perhaps even 88. will revise score when dlc comes out

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 2, 2024

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Everything I hear about Dragon's Dogma 2 is people going "This game is annoying and frustrating and bad and it's FUNDAMENTAL to the design of the game to be bad so that's why it's good actually" and I gotta say it's not really selling me on the game.
idk if youre synthesizing two different peoples opinions on it or just one inarticulate moron's, but the interesting thing about DD is that its a very hostile world thats a little unforgiving but without getting sadistic about it. travel is something that is really meaningful and has to be well considered because in the beginning at least you can't just easily get where you want to go, its like, the game with the second most meaningful travel mechanics behind death stranding. quests have a lot of solutions and many of them are, bad, and the games relatively unconcerned about you missing them or loving them up without prior information. combats not super technical like dark souls but its unforgiving and if you mess up you are likely to get grabbed by a harpy and tossed in the ocean or dragged off by wolves or knocked down by a goblin while all his friends gently caress up your health bar (semi-permanently)

its a game with a lot of friction, in ways that most games dont but also, in a way that kinda evokes the feeling of old school d&d a little bit

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

It's a pretty straightforward game where you run around and have fun fighting monsters. It discourages fast travel somewhat, so some folks are acting like it's a huge bold statement of game design instead the basic stuff that we had in final fantasy 1.
it is when nearly every other game that looks like it, all the interstitial space between locations might as well not exist

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its not a game for everyone

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I'm willing to bet that it's also horny
there are two quests where your reward is a sex scene lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

games with native touchscreen support kinda died out when they realized no one was interested in windows tablets. they don't sell it on steam anymore so idk if you can get it, but when I used a windows 8 tablet I used a program called gestureworks gameplay that let me set up reasonably good touchscreen controls for games

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thinking about dd2 some more and I sincerely hope that even people that don't play that game or gave up on it, get to see the absolutely absurd late title card 60 hours into that game. one of the all time greats. and also the entire reason they didnt want to have a new game option lol

spending the entire game pretending its a remake or reimagining of dragons dogma including the title screen just saying "dragons dogma". and then when it becomes incredibly clear exactly how the game is a sequel with you visiting locations from the first game, late title card DRAGON'S DOGMA II, and the 2 being permanently added to the title screen also

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what do you mean visiting locations from the first game? also I got the true end in 35 hours lol but the title card drop is fully sick
seafloor shrine is literally just gran soren. you meet the guy at the bottom of the everfall and come up into the castle and the layout is identical. in postgame its even more obvious because all the shops line up and even the riftstone is in the rubble of the old pawns guild. there are a few other places on the map that also at least evoke locations in gransys like ancient battleground and bluemoon tower

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just about any game people try to convince you is important to the gays, is secretly a hate crime

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it also has a bordello full of twinks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Every time someone mentions that game's name, my brain just immediately starts playing Backstreet Boys
tell me why im playing such a lovely game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kids dont play with toys anymore thats whats so hosed up about this

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Emulators don’t usually “provide pirated titles”, no?
not the ones that stick around

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gayflies

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I also saw an opinion piece saying that Dragon's Dogma 2's success despite its friction might mean the market is primed for a Dead Rising reboot that goes back to the systems of the first one, since it came from that same kinda era in Capcom's history where they were just trying things out.
I do wish that the ending of dd2 was more like dead rising

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i like this meme because they literally point at the chest and mark it on the map for you when they say this. more chests for me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

those high republic books are sick though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

He's one of the main story architects for the High Republic books as a whole and has done a few more of the novels as well
the writers room approach to the high republic books makes me cringe a bit on an artistic level because it kinda evokes the way the marvel factory cranks out movies, but I can't deny that it also makes it the most coherent cluster of star wars storytelling in decades

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, I think if you're going to be doing a long-form multi-thread thing like the High Republic, having at least some semblance of a central creative vision is required to even make it work.
i mean in an ideal world it would just be one guy writing books until he dies with a singular vision. but if it has to be a product this seems like the way to make a good one

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cataclysm is 15 years old, its Retro. its WoW Classic

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah but I guarantee you theres someone out there thats going to be excited for wow legion classic, so they can do artifact progression again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Y'all seen they got games on Netflix browser now? Like playing babys first Newgrounds games but in worse resolution.
poinpys on there so shut your loving mouth

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the second one is made by the dead cells team

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

either thats true or I dreamed it. can't say

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jordan mechner died

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you sure

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh sorry I was thinking of emily willis

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Doesnt that spread out the playerbase and eventually kill the whole point of an mmo?
not really. the people playing progression servers are generally not the people playing live, what server you're on in most mmos is largely irrelevant now, and also you can just consolidate them if it's really a problem

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I will play eq p99 every couple of years but have zero interest in any part of eq released after like, 2001

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

No I mean, if we have say a WotlK server and a Burning Crusade server going at the same time, doesn’t that effectively cut the vanilla playerbase in half right there
the classic classic server is a different thing now, that's going to appeal to a different base than the cata tlp server. there's overlap here but mostly they're expanding the player base

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just looked and eq1 has 24 official servers right now, 10 of them are some kind of progression or classic. and then there's p99 and all the eqemu servers. number of people that are interested in playing eq is definitely vastly smaller than wow, and they're doing fine

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theres still eq stuff that people argue about what is actually legitimately Classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mutata posted:

I worked on EverQuest 2 for a summer. That was weird times.
not a game I care a great deal for but thank you for your contributions to the world of norrath