Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Another maker of cozy/socially progressive games exposed as a toxic workplace
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1776252235351015735

There is one thing about this article I find odd.

quote:

“Even in our press guides from Square Enix, all the way up until [review copies were out], we were not to say anything about Alex’s sexuality, period, at all. And then they did the advance copies, and all of these reviews came out saying how amazing it was to finally see an explicitly bi protagonist, and after that, Square was like, just kidding, Alex is absolutely, canonically, 100% bisexual

Which, unless they're talking about different press guides, isn't true. I actually went back and checked my press guide for LiS:TC and it includes this:

quote:

Romance – Remember that you can romance either Steph, or Ryan – or nobody! Your choices throughout the game
shape your relationships with Steph and Ryan, from the extent to which you reassure Ryan about his role in Gabe’s
death, to how enthusiastically you embrace Steph’s geeky interests. Choosing one of them as the ‘hottest’
distraction for Diane sends a definite signal, but you can seal the deal at the Spring Festival by giving one of them a
romantic rose. If you prefer to play it casual, instead of a romantic embrace with the one you’re closest to, you will
receive a friendly hug on the Black Lantern rooftop.

which is the opposite of "Never mention bisexual."

The rest is horrible poo poo that is too common, I just found that one bit odd.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can get wanting to have a game with gay or trans stuff not deal with the oppression dealt with IRL but when you make a giant document that details how nothing bad will happen to the protagonist due to them being trans and not wanting to upset people it's just like. offensive lol. I played a little indie RPG last month that had a transguy character, a gay (or at least bi) protagonist, an asexual, and the game just made all of their identities seem normal in the game world. This is what you want to do!

Yeah, a big thing I think to aim for is to just... let people feel normal. Being singled out, even in a positive way, can feel kind of bad too. Just being allowed to exist as a person without having to qualify yourself is absolutely something appealing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the part of tell me why where they show you a guy is gay by having him playfight with dolls

So playing with toys makes you gay?

poo poo, no wonder the GOP is worried, turns out 99.9% of children are extremely gay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

no the guys like 30

Oh. Well, yes, if there's one thing I know for a fact adults don't do, it is bash their toys together while making pew pew noises.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

More like Clod

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i like cloud but yeah the funniest thing about doing "final fantasy vii but 3x more" is that it means you have twice as much time before cloud has untangled his brain from a web of ghost ex-boyfriends and space aliens

On the other hand

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barring any huge surprises Rebirth is my easy #1, but #2 is going to be a real competition.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

were there any good dungeons/bosses/etc from ff14 1.0 that people miss

The big thing missing from 2.0 isn't characters or anything but plot. The character who was basically the first big antagonist of 1.0 shows up multiple times in callbacks in 2.0 but anyone who started with 2.0 never actually met them outside of a weird ghost-hallucination thing.

It's nothing you can't pick up from context but is basically the one area where 1.0 'lingers' over 2.0. Otherwise a lot of plot stuff is introduced there but a good chunk of it was retconned or changed anyway, so it's sort of like the difference between the pilot of a TV series vs the full series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It pretty much stops being relevant about halfway through ARR, and I think they introduced a new sidequest in the most recent anniversary event that provides a better rundown of 1.0

It's still relevant at least until the WEAPON Trial Series for obvious reasons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well they announced Slay the Spire II so everything else can go directly to hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinitum posted:

:lol: Contra crew are coming to Vampire Survivors
Operation Guns - May 9

Also dropping on PS5 in Summer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey why did Wanted Dead become an anime all of a sudden

E: what the gently caress

Wanted Dead does what it wants and gently caress you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I hate Brotato's hideous rear end Newgrounds flash anim art, looks horrible. Really fun game

Brotato looks bad but I'll take it over Binding of Isaac any day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, Brotato is another game, I thought you were misspelling Balatro in a funny way

I was talking about the one that is a simple looking overly addictive game that has no reason being as good as it is and focuses largely on creating absurdly overpower builds and unlocking new stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Are there any threads on this site where I can make fun of gamers crying that videogame women aren't sexy enough?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Animated movies need to go back to voice actors, so tired of hearing celebrities stuck inside random cartoon characters. Very few of them voice act enough to be a distinct character and they usually are chosen to have so and so there.

Bring back Casey kasem and daws butler.

Eh. There are a lot of extremely good voice actors who are also regular actors. The ones who are good at their roles usually slip into them enough you don't notice. Obviously Mark Hamill is the neon glowing example there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't explain why but I absolutely pictured this exchange as The Magic Schoolbus/Miss Frizzel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Who does

The Freman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Is that true for Kids movies? Seems like a myth

Every single top grossing kid's movie usually has a medium-to-large Hollywood star involved in the lead roles. Like even during the time when Pixar was nonstop hits, they had Tom Hanks and Tim Allen and Ellen DeGeneres

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Like the biggest star in Frozen at the time was Josh Gad and that movie made a billion dollars

Idina Menzel was considered a fairly significant presence even at the time and Kristen Bell was still hot off Veronica Mars. Neither was a Grade A Super loving Star but they weren't nobody voice actors.

Edit: Like, looking over the top grossing animated films in the US at least, the only one that isn't 'hollywood cast' is ... The Simpsons. (And even then it had major Hollywood actors cast for roles, just not the main family.)

Jay Rust posted:

Do kids like chris pratt?

He is Star Lord, the Lego Guy and Mario.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hope they can make a good Star Control 3 For Real This Time, the fact they're going for simple visuals is already a big plus for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

how many games are actually called that? Starcraft 2 and what

Soul Calibur 2
Splinter Cell 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I wish the game could just be released this year actually finished.

Hades 1 genuinely would have been a worse game if it didn't have EA for polish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Steamworld Heist 2 yooooooo

I am so hype for this. Heist is genuinely one of my favorite games ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It just seems bizarrely pathetic that you take pride in winning a video game against other people because you cheated.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe i'm weird but i'm okay with that? Like i wouldn't scream at a stage magician if i somehow noticed the second ace of spaces up their sleeve

I think there's a difference between "I am openly doing an illusion where the act of the illusion is the entire point" vs claiming you are doing an act of tremendous skill but lying about it.

Like nobody except really dumb people thinks magic is real, the appeal is in the showmanship and show of skill at presenting a fake thing as real. Going "I'm going to beat a video game blindfolded" and then not being blindfolded is just lying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Good points...

But I can't help it, my honest reaction to a streamer cheating at a stunt is a big "who cares". Not really an argument

When it is something someone else is doing legitimately it kind of sucks to lie about it, because you're basically trying to leech off their actual effort. It's akin to like tracing over someone else's art and claiming you made it wholesale. It's not the Worst Thing Ever but at very least you deserve to get mocked for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

I remember there was/is a bunch of this happening in the speedrunning community, where people would either a) take someone else's run footage and try to pass it off as their own or b) splice together footage from different runs to try to pass off a new WR.

Oh yeah, I got into a rabbit hole a while back of watching that stuff and it's genuinely amazing both how far people go and how far people go to disprove them. There's poo poo people do with Pokemon that is like magic wizardry

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

I don't know anyone who's actually sat through Pyre

Pyre is great. It's probably the least 'instantly playable' of their games but it owns none the less.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Psychonauts 2 was really an incredible game with no flaws.

Except the pregnancy thing, that was weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

I don’t remember that, which level was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djB3uf7z9yc&t=31s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely can't imagine going to a Blizzcon in 2024. Oh boy we're going to celebrate some thoroughly mediocre games!

I mean I can get it sort of as like WoW fanfest + some other Blizzard stuff I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Everything about OW2 is baffling to me. I think most casual players who enjoyed Overwatch liked the characters and really couldn't have cared less about the PvP. A less toxic co-op PvE mode seemed like such an obvious thing to do, but Blizzard delayed doing anything about that for 6 years and then just cancelled it all anyway.

Blizzard went all-in on Esports and was convinced they needed to make OW2 more Esports rather than investing in the completely outsized support they had for the characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I've discovered I can't play games any more, my attention span has completely gone to poo poo way more than it already was. I bought Monster Hunter Rise a dog's age ago and only got around to trying it yesterday but it's way too many loving words. I need a game that is suitable for people like myself who are incapable of learning.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1775490/Slice__Dice/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to wonder how much of their life they dedicated to grinding in order to get a platform to complain about the game they were grinding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The rare "I punched myself in the face to kick you in the balls" tactic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Mummies are zombies

Nah. Mummies are usually not able to turn you into a mummy too and tend to be more resistant to non-fire damage. They are both undead but zombies are clearly lower-tier, which is why you have to be careful not to throw toilet paper at a zombie lest it evolve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

It was literally called a bomb ring

Considering the names of equipment in the game, that doesn't necessarily lead him to expect it is a "suddenly activate when I go to a village and burn everything for no reason" ring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Been playing Fallout New Vegas, sure is brown

More like Fallout: New Beige rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It would have just been nice if Square didn't shut down Babylon's Fall. It was actually starting to turn into a good game before it closed. At a minimum Square needs to stay away from live service.

Unfortunately when a game has like sub-1000 players it probably doesn't matter how good it was getting.