Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Personally I've been enjoying Pacific Drive a lot, although I agree it gets repetitive and grindy. But that's part of what I enjoy, quietly driving back and forth through the countryside. But also I got kind of the opposite impression, in that the main story seems to be able to be completed pretty fast, and I've forever been postponing the final mission while I try to unlock all junctions and most of the logbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I’m specifically not speedrunning the main story. I’m trying to build up my car and unlock base upgrades before I enter the third zone. And I dunno about you but it’s become a hell of a slog.

I've always picked up as much as I could on each trip, apart from 2-3 trips where I'd run out of room in the garage (although that eventually took care of itself), so the driving force has always been visiting new junctions. I've had a couple upgrade hindrances almost entirely linked to how I'd though a resource I did know how to find was instead a new one I'd never found a spot for. Also I was tight on chemicals for repair putty for a while, which was actually related to the mistaken scarceness of that other resource (it's the one that you need for the next tier repair item). But also, I'm keeping a fairly mid-tech car (as some of the higher tiers have higher power consumption, which I don't estimate worth the tradeoff right now).

Other than that, right now as I have only one or two junctions left there's one endgame resource I'm finding to be really sparse right now. But also I didn't have the right tool for a while, and after that all the maps I visited that had it also had a very specific storm type that's proven to be a real hindrance.

I think the thing I really might need to grind for is there's a specific tier 1 anomaly I haven't scanned and I might haunt lower tier junctions trying to find out just what it is. And also the podcasts, since I usually only get one per trip, and I think there might still be a dozen left.

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 1, 2024

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quackles posted:

No he didn't.

He did, but because he was close to a blue flame he came back right after that.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I recognize that guy he's in Death Stranding like two of the girls from that tweet.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Infinitum posted:

Sunsetting should become an industry norm for online games.
I think a significant obstacle to that is all the achievements and identitty stuff and general connectivity with Sony/MS/Valve's infrastructures, and all the priorietary code related to that. All that needs to be axed and replaced for functional sunsetting.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Westworld season one also got a whole bunch of stuff right about movie and game scripting and their relationship, theme park showmanship, theme park urban legends and easter eggs, and the same in games. All very interesting topics, almost completely dropped afterwards.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shard posted:

that doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't people dream in color when the world is in color? Like I could see if black and white tv made more people dream in black and white but what about before television? Did people during the radio period of entertainment only dream in audio?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Youuuu're stiiiiiiill
in a dreeeeeeeam
Snaaaaake Eateeeeeer

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

If ff7 remake isn’t a remake why’s it called ff7 remake?

Really surprising coming from the same company that made 15 numbered sequels to a game called Final Fantasy

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Waffleman_ posted:

Rumors going around that Far Cry 7 will star Cillian Murphy, which would be a hell of a first post-Oscar project

The supposed-leaker's already walked back on that, stating that by posting a photo of Cillian Murphy he obviously didn't mean Cillian Murphy was involved and people are dumb for jumping to conclusions

Chev fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 21, 2024

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ends up in more production code than you'd think! The results speak for themselves.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khanstant posted:

Why is it ugly? My only reference is teenage tinkering with coding in school and occasionally tweaking code files for games or programs or whatever, with inline help to let me.know what to do or look for. I am limited by my ignorance so I assume "good" code is the kinda poo poo I read and have no idea what to do with. There isn't a variable like DoThingINeed it'll be some function doing poo poo with libraries or other files or like ??? I just don't know.

Whereas a list or nest of if statements is much clearer to my dumb knowledge level of coding, seems like you could work backwards or forwards to find out what's going on.

Essentially, there is a line count over which you'll start losing track with this kind of structure, and because the structure isn't well defined you IDE of choice won't be able to help you. So maybe some of those ifs pertain to, say, jokers, and others to numbers, and others to special effects and there's no way to tell except scroll back and forth to suss out the relevant one. Also no garantee one won't accidentally trigger a variable meant for another, or depend on something another accidentally set.

If you code is more structured, it becomes much easier to understand in which context you are, whether you're in a number card or a joker or an effect, and also to prevent those contexts from bumping into each other because clearer boundaries are enforced. Makes it much easier to change a card without the house crumbling down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ImpAtom posted:

Mummies are usually not able to turn you into a mummy too
One of Metal Slug's great features!