Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's good folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
loving lies

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Anyway I came back to post because I'm playing the FF3 pixel remaster and I got to Cave of Shadows and ugh that dungeon is balls.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh wow FF3 has gone by way faster than I expected, I'm already up to the final dungeon. I'm sad, I've been having a ton of fun with this one :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

well it's the only 2024 game i've played so far

Too late the 2024 GOTY has already been declared to be Iggy's Reckin Balls, better luck next year everyone

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strawberry Panda posted:

I quit halfway through the final dungeon I think. Let me know how it goes for you.

I have beaten it on the original NES version abusing save states so hopefully the remaster won't be as painful :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've never even heard of Survivorlikes before today. And how can it be a Survivorlike if no one's starving on a desert island? :thunkher:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF3: Made it through Eureka and unlocked the Ultimate Weapons/final jobs. Rolling with Ninja/Black Belt/Sage/Sage is so fun, everyone is just so beefy. Time to tackle the endgame :hellyeah:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For reals though having watched Veeg play through Rebirth on stream I have no idea how you could vote for any other game as GOTY. It's literally a masterpiece

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

You can't vote for a video game you haven't played. That's cringe non-gamer behaviour. Yes i know about metis' #1 last year.

It's my thread I make the rules :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shard please just delete Twitter

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I had my first party wipe in FF3. It was on Echidna who turned to be absolutely brutal and got me with two full party attacks back-to-back. Yeesh. However it turns out this game has an autosave! So I immediately fought him again and won, hurray. I'm also very grateful for the quick save feature which means I can put it aside for a day rather than slog through all of Crystal Tower and World of Darkness in one go. Still though, this is such a tough block of final dungeons. Perhaps the hardest in the entire franchise?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e:.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A goon winning a Peabody...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's all right they'll do a patch to fix the patch

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

wizard2 posted:

yeah? are you certain?

It's patches all the way down

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Patchception

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

water levels, mostly

Many underground levels too. The ideal loadout is always situational.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Speaking of, my FF3 playthrough is in the books :toot:

I got two more party wipes, both against the 2-headed dragon and one-shot KO physical attacks which was just ridiculous and I'm pretty sure I only beat it by lucking the RNG. After that the actual final boss wasn't so bad thanks to major shuriken/bahamut/curaja/elixir spam. All in all this was a really fun game and I had a great time the whole way through. If people have bounced off FF3 in different versions then the pixel remaster is a very cool way to experience the game because the difficulty is tuned down just enough to avoid frustration while still being challenging.

Next up, committing war crimes in FF4!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The opening to FF4 is loving wild. Cecil is actively a war criminal who not just participates in state violence but perpetuates its system throughout his troops. And when he gets removed from command for not murdering hard enough his response, rather than to denounce the unethical commands of his king, is to go do a genocide bomb in hope of getting his post back. And then - after being personally responsible for the deaths of hundreds - when he finally decides to break ranks he does so by kidnapping a child who's mum he just killed. How the gently caress did this guy end up the protagonist

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was literally called a bomb ring

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also, I enjoyed the Something Awful shoutout :unsmith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mystes posted:

Do you think that characters within the game can go into the inventory screen and see what stuff is called?

Or does it being named a certain thing rather than something like ??? imply that the character has knowledge of that name?

The king called it a bomb ring in open dialogue

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Anyway it turns out Cecil's plan to protect his 8 year old captive is to take her directly into an active war zone. Along with his new friend, an amnesiac who sees his daughter as property because her won't let her get married without his consent. Truly a company of heroes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF4: Grandpa Patriarchy has left to fight an entire kingdom's military with just his faulty memory and a stick so now I'm hanging out with Cecil's comatose girlfriend and a blithering idiot. Also Rydia appears to have stockholm syndrome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleman_ posted:

Look at the hands

AI art you've gone too far

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF4: Made my way to Mt. Hobs where Sir War Crimes forced Rydia to relive her extensive recent trauma. While there we met a half-naked man who... come on, I'm not gonna shittalk Yang. It's Yang. I just want him to hold me in his big beefy arms.

Although I was amused by Cecil so openly telling a random stranger about his complicity in genocide.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Oh man. How did you know about that?

Lol I just saw this :cripes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fridge corn posted:

I am really enjoying your brutal takedown of FF4 :xd:

Yeah imagine being a fan of this game ;)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF4: Welp, Fabul done got hosed up. It probably wasn't a good idea to trust your kingdom's defences to a dude personally responsible for two major international invasions and Justin Timberlake. Cecil introduces his new pals to his best friend, the guy trying to murder them and while his plot device girlfriend gets kidnapped (this has now happened to 100% of the female party members). One short boat trip later and Rydia gets rescued from her own captivity by a giant sea snake, which is the only time being taken by a giant sea snake has ever been called an upside. Then it all gets a bit awkward as Cecil winds up saying hello to all the people he recently launched air strikes on and now we're hanging out with two bratty kids - one's a gobshite, the other's a teacher's pet and I honestly don't know which is worse.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bad Video Games posted:

Rarity, if this is really your first time playing FF4, then don't stop. This is great.

It's not :ssh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell yeah can't wait

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Infinitum posted:

Keep the Gaypril thread open, and just rename it to Gay

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gamer culture is liveposting your gaming in the gen chat thread :hai:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF4: Ok ok I know I've given Cecil a hard time about his attempt to use Just Following Orders to get through this world's version of the Nurenberg trials but look! He's gone off on one of those rich kid ayahuasca retreats to find himself and it turns out he's a nepo baby so we have to call him the hero now!

Also, Granpappy Misogynist has WMDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Was gonna guess mobile game but just as bad