Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gay??? Gamers????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I bought a book on retro adventure game pixel art because of the Adventure game thread and now I am desiring for more recommendations on books about viseogames

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Best game of the year is going to be whatever comes out that deeply emotionally resonates with me or blows my mind in some profound way because loving around with a well made toy feels kind of wack in comparison to like Kentucky Route Zero rending my soul in twain by the time it was over.

One of the big reasons why imo Grim Fandango is one of the greatest games ever made. Pulls you into its world, is genuinely funny, is genuinely sad, and by the end you wish you never had to leave the experience behind because the place it took you to was so fascinating and filled with so many characters you just wanted to keep spending time with. All of that, and the gameplay is doing inane puzzles with poo poo tank controls lol.

Give me that any day over some poo poo I'll just forget 90% of in the next 6 months.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

cheetah7071 posted:

smh if you don't feel something special as your mind expands when you play with a thousand interlocking parts and build something unique and special out of them

Yeah games that make you think are also valid and extremely interesting. Zachtronics games are some of my favs and Dyson Sphere Program/Factorio rule, but those have actual problem solving elements to them, versus like adventure game puzzles supposedly making you "think."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jay Rust posted:

Grim fandango deffo has some great dialogue jokes that I still think about to this day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOJC-wkyiI

Yeah they had a lot of good gags using the dialogue trees, like making a lovely poem at the Blue Casket and the ensuing joke lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Vermain posted:

my ultimate problem with roguelike deckbuilders is that they're fun for the first little while when your primary goal is stitching together a build out of what you're given and flexing your creative muscle, but they quickly become tedious once you get into higher difficulty settings due to the importance of luck mitigation and card efficiency. you typically end up with a deck built around a single central gimmick (usually exponentially increasing damage/defense) that's then padded with enough retain and redraw to avoid poo poo draw curves, and so the only real gambler's high left is whether you get the relics/augments/whatever you need to meet the necessary attack/defense threshholds to win

you do get the occasional neat gimmick like dead branch that's fun to play with, but it's rare to get those pieces early enough to build around, and having to slog through a bunch of what often feel like autopilot runs to get those gleaming nuggets rarely feels worth it

Imo most of them suffer from too much bloat, it's a genre that seems to excel when it's kept relatively simple.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hes not wrong that art design is straight 💩❗

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

After they drew the art it didn't come out good

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I hate Brotato's hideous rear end Newgrounds flash anim art, looks horrible. Really fun game

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I like Case of the Golden Idol's gross rear end art style lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I liked beating up store owners and ruining their stores in The Godfather game. Thats what they deserve.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also who remembers the weird rear end Godfather PSP game.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

When I was a teenager playing too much Diablo 2, if I had a nightmare that was getting too intense I'd press Escape in my dream and click the Save & Exit Game option.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Midnight Suns on sale and it's a straight up blast. Between this and Guardians of the Galaxy there's been some mad good Marvel games

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Majula oblongata

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Khanstant posted:

We're gonna play the game the playstation all day,
With metal gear solid to tekken 3.
And from omega boost to resident evil
Just play for the fun
Cos we got it going on.

Tekken 3, metal gear solid
Resident evil, gran turismo, omega boost,
Bloody roar, x-files, another world
Come on
Ridge racer
Odd world
We get a living
That came in our posession

P. L. A. Y. S. T. A. T. I. O. N.

When they say all day it sounds like they're saying OJ

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RBA Starblade posted:

I always got a kick out of them inexplicably referencing Omega Boost, of all things

I think the X-Files game is a weirder mention lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Getting stoned, playing Balatro, and listening to albums I haven't heard before is my GotY 2024

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The best part of Dragon Age Origins was that everyone had huge rear end hands

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I said come in! posted:

I started playing Harold Halibut and this game is really cool.

Yea i really like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I knew Eiyuden Chronicles was an accurate spiritual successor to PS1 JRPGs when after I went through a mine with minecart puzzles, there was a boss where every turn i was forced to watch a crane turn agonizingly slow to drop a rock on my party every turn, if you hit the switch, the crane turns agonizingly slow in the opposite direction.