Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

At some point Kalypso stopped releasing a new Tropico every year or so. Never noticed before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad that the romhack community for Pokemon is so strong

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

France is good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

don't you guys have ROMs on your phone?

Nice try officer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Balatro is the only game released this year that I like. I really don't see anything interesting on the calendar coming up either except Elden Ring DLC and SMTVengeance

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

STS's art is great. It's got flavor, it's got panache it doesn't matter if it isn't technically good if it has those

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Idc about Twitter drama involving the worst people in the world but I do wish that games would stop doing facial scans of celebrities as a gimmick. Games seem to be very insecure about the fact that they aren't movies. They should stop trying to be movies, because video games are better than movies

Something about Marlon Brando's last performance being him on a ventilator in the Godfather game gets me real down. On the other hand Crime Boss Rockay City owns

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Godfather II game has a ton of cool systems and ideas trapped in an incredibly bad game. I'd kill to get that concept of cultivating a crew and crime empire into a game that doesn't look and feel like garbage.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I know there have been a few Mafia management sims over the last few years but I dont know which ones are any good.

The actual sims themselves, basically none have been good. For games with management elements Vice City Stories and Saints Row II remain the gold standard. There is also a new mod for Liberty City Stories called the Sindacco Chronicles with management elements I've been meaning to check out. They've added whole new radio stations, management, and (ai) voice acting; it's pretty impressive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I guess i still don't know what AAA means

It's the smaller batteries

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Huh, didn't know he was doing that. I'm not hungry for podcasts about star wars or tabletop game sessions so I haven't checked those out (I'm sure they're good, just not what I'd want) but covering a book series sounds good to this gamer.

It's probably the second best podcast that's covered New Sun but it can be occasionally incredibly frustrating when the main host misreads sections and then pulls the "Oh we aren't here to analyze things" poo poo whenever people point out they're wrong.

He also seems to have an ax to grind against the idea that Wolfe had the entire series planned out in advance which might be an interesting thing to consider if we didn't know for a fact that it's wrong and that the whole work was drafted at once and then edited and released in order.

They also don't shut the gently caress up about Homestuck for long stretches.

All in all a thousand times better than Alzabo Soup.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's the best podcast that covered New Sun

ReReading Wolfe. Two people who've been in it since the Urthlist poring over every inch of the pages. Generally unhinged with an emphasis on highlighting random theories and ideas people in the community have had or held and always open to new perspectives or corrections on their own interpretations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Old Swerdlow posted:

http://rangedtouch.com/category/shelved-by-genre/

Shelved by Genre by far was my favourite podcast to listen about discussion and analysis of the series. Not the most absolutely thorough read of the book but they bring a lot of interesting critique that three fairly educated people bring that I haven’t seen in other places.

https://www.alzabosoup.com

Alzabo Soup is a fun chapter by chapter breakdown if you just want to really just want to immerse yourself into the book but the analysis isn’t anything surprising or extremely deep but enjoyable hanging out with Wolfe fanboys.

Re-reading Wolfe is garbage and the hosts just get caught up in stupid fan theories and miss a lot of the broader themes and ideas over tiny insignificant details.

I went hard for these books last year and tried to find anything to consume about these books.

ReReading Wolfe talks about the themes and motifs in the post book synopses. The entire concept of the show is to analyze and discuss the ideas that come out of people who've been in the community for decades.

Alzabo Soup is quite poor. Their conceit is illogical and leads to them deliberately falling down blind alleys and confusing their audience. They claim to want to not bring in the full novels and instead just go chapter by chapter but then import the Silk/Horn conflation into their analysis of Severian which has muddied the understanding of many new readers as to what and who the main character of the work is because they don't have full knowledge of where their conception of the character comes from.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Planning the show out as this long multi season thing hurt it. If it had been planned for two or three seasons of concise and coherent storytelling it would've worked much better. It also has the same problem that most Android shows have in that they're all the same drat story.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It only works if the author knows what's in the box. They don't need to show what's in it, or even really acknowledge there is a box. But they need to know

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Same

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I misread it as the last thing you watched that was honest to god TV.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

frankly still applicable

that show got loving robbed at the emmys, especially rhea seehorn

That's for sure. gently caress Succession for pulling off that sweep.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

the aughts were a truly dire cultural era

Uh no. It was peak culture with the Raimi Spiderman films

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Peaches and Cream Monster is horrible, don't try it!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only dreams I have are about people cutting me open and rearranging or stealing my organs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Majula....

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Firelink looked like it was made with N64 assets. The Nexus was much prettier.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8

very weird that kurosawa went to all this trouble for no reason. frankly seems like a waste of time when you could just plop a camera down in field during a sunny day and let 'er rip

God seeing just a few frames reminded me how bad the Ikiru remake was. Wanna believe in Spike but casting Ice Spice in High and Low does not give me confidence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heide's tower is still a beautiful area despite most of DKS2 looking pretty bad. The approach to Drangleic was also sick.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

it barely has mechanics, its annoyingly structured, the plot gives up on half the characters part way through. its not on the same level as the FFs that are, actually bad (3, mystic quest) but theres not really anything notable about it 30 years later when you could play 7 other ffs that are incredible

I found myself wishing while playing it that Celes was the main character given she was the only of the many characters that were in any way interesting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should be playing a downgrade PC version of the GTA Trilogy or a cracked version. With SA especially there are a ton of little changes that add to the experience beyond just the obvious custom tracks and draw distance even if you miss out on some sign textures, atmosphere or parked cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA1rjd91p0
My man Vadim has the details.

The PS2 still has the only official multiplayer in the trilogy that isn't modded in however with it's co-op rampages.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She was Galadriel. Commonwealth actors will do anything for a big enough paycheck.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Complaining the Keighlys aren't a legitimate award show is kind of absurd. There are no legit award shows, they're all just goofy puffery to make the industry look good and let people see a bunch of celebrities together.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When am I going to get up and scream McDonalds before I can start the next level. So much promised to us for the future and so little delivered.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to play Spiderman 2 for PS2 and I'm quite bad at it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I do not want to be excited about EUV after the last decade of PDX releases, but man if the MEIOU influence is real we could be looking at their first great game since EUIV

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Replaying the GBA ones showed me that while I liked Path O' Radiance and Endless Monastery Simulator, most of the new FEs have indeed been total dogshit and they should just make GBA games again

Yup, perfect mix of understandable mechanics, calculations able to be done mentally with a little add risk from crits and engaging length and plot. The games have only gotten worse as they've leaned into the relationships and skill systems; it's destroyed the elegance for a muddled system of maybes and possibilities.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I am now the owner of a PS5. Installing Rebirth as we speak.

Go play Spiderman 2 and let me know if the writing is as awful as they're saying cause rn I'm shook

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Where are the Mummy killing games? Zombies and vampires for days and no mummies

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're some Australian guys who are way into primary colors and fruit salad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd assume it would. DQ games sell well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus, I'm sitting here trying to see Spy x Family and these loving theatre chains are forcing me to watch the goddamn Borderlands trailer. What did I do to deserve this?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Tell us who won in the battle of spy vs family

Family hopefully, I don't want to see a sad Anya

I said come in! posted:

Spy x Family owns so hard, I really want to see the movie.

It was pretty good. Some problems with the subs though, I think it managed to call them Folgers, Holgers, and Forgers all in the same two hour picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I hope there will be an English dub eventually. I really like the English voice actors for the anime.

There is one already and it's screening right now. I just prefer Subs