Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the coolest weapons in edf4 are on the mecha suit class but the movement speed is so slow it feels like you basically have to use up 2 of your weapon slots to do the dash-attack-cancel tech if you wanna play any level without getting annoyed at how long it takes to get anywhere.
so you only get 2 slots left to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
any game that has super hd photorealistic faces of real actors is the wrong artstyle anyways. and it probably means the game is gonna have bad AAA storygame sections where it zooms in for a closeup on their very expensive technologically advanced face models and they monologue video-game-writing at you which is even worse

except max payne he's cool

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 11, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah but the managerial bean-counter class who make all the decisions at these billion-dollar companies really love the prestige of movies

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

this is the core thrust of ironstylus' argument: facial capturing produces weird uncanny valley NPCs and takes away from the deliberate craft actual artists can leverage in making characters that are attractive by virtue of them having been sculpted instead of being digitized halloween masks

this made me go back and read it so here's a working link for non account havers
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1778190747453555074.html

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fighting Elegy posted:

I agree but I think this doesn't go far enough. They should stop using microphones and voice acting too. Videogames should stop trying to be movies and just use wave generators to make little blips and buzzes instead of trying to ape hollywood.

all videogame voice acting should be in monster hunter language

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
thats not true you still need the main character to yell 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" when they fire their hyper mega laser

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That's not spoilers it's the basic premise of the whole series
frieren is an old rear end autistic elf who's lived for thousands of years and it's all about coming back and processing her experiences, retracing her journey and developing basic social skills after the group of friends she saved the world with all died of old age

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 11, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

it's a classic bit of rhetoric where you put two true statements next to eachother ("we met with our partner to discuss the leaks" and "we mutually agreed to cancel the project during the meeting") without directly linking them in any way, creating the implication that A led to B without technically lying about anything. huge scumbag energy radiating off this dude just from that alone

sounds like big important ceoman is lying to himself that it's all the drat :argh: journalists' :argh: fault too, not just lying to his employees

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

AngryBooch posted:

Jeff's wife Annie Strain posted this unhinged letter after closing another studio in their sham company last week:

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1776033395040301372

This pair really seems like they deserve one another.

"the game did not have core features that have emerged as requirements to be competitive in today's hyper aggressive market"
so sounds like despite all the weird bits trying to spin this as the fault of AI or kotaku reporting on the CEO's multiple sclerosis (why did she jump right to assuming the article would be about that rather than the game? ) they actually failed because they couldn't find any publisher leeches willing to support a game without live-service or mtx or something.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
vtubers were cooler before they were mainstream, maaaaaan

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
is there hot new drama in the VTsphere?!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

Do kids like chris pratt?

i guess the parents recognize him when choosing a movie to watch with their kids

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Infinitum posted:

There's probably more that needs to be done to stop cheaters simply creating fresh accounts to come back on, but it def feels good getting an update that someone you reported has been permanently banned.

simply charge :10bux: for an account

Quackles posted:

Where are the open source cheat makers making the really good stuff for free? That's what I want to know.

if you publicize the source you make it that much easier for the game devs to detect or counteract your tricks
though if you're really annoyed with a cheat/exploit in a game making a big public post showing the whole playerbase exactly how to do it is a great way to get it fixed fast

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 17, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The cheating ecosystem seems really fascinating, like I think someone mentioned that streamers will run dual setups so that their cheating information is being fed to a computer that's not the one they're playing on to minimize detection?

Also they will train themselves to avoid "behaviors of omniscience"

It's called a Direct Memory Access cheat and afaict it's 100% undetectable (except ofc by watching the replay and subjectively going "hm this guy plays like he can see enemies though walls")

Basically you attach a hardware device to your PC that sits between the CPU and RAM and snoops on all the back and forth electric signals, effectively knowing everything stored in RAM. Then it sends all that data over a cable to another computer to process it.

There's no software running or anything so there's nothing for an anticheat to detect.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

palworld guy owns

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

In persona 4 or 5, there's one class where the prof says like "people didn't dream in colour until colour tv was introduced". If that's true (it is) then imagine what 3d tv will bring.....!!

Watching too much tv caused people to dream in the context of tv, which was at one time black and white. Likewise nowadays if you play too many videogames all your dreams might be contextualized as games too.
Something about dreams is "unreal" enough for the mind to reject comparing them to actual reality and instead jump to other "unreal" experiences we're familiar with.

When games and color tv add smell-o-vision, that same group who started dreaming in color again will start dreaming in scent too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there are romances in rain world?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
that one already released and closed down

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it has classes with hero shooter abilities
but designwise they're all "generic guy with assault rifle"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the biggest tragedy is that they lost the Tom ip
now it's just named xDefiant but it used to be Tom Clancy's xDefiant (tm)
previously some of the (teams? factions? classes?) were lifted from other tom clancy games like the division but iirc now they're all OCs?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
a roguelike game about building a deck of trading cards..... genius! never been done!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I said come in! posted:

Yeah PS2 emulation is really the only way to play the PlayStation 2 era GTA games now. Rockstar hasnt fixed the remasters and doesn't intend to, and buried the original releases for PC and sued anyone who tried to restore them.

Even if the old pc versions aren't available legally, surely you can still :filez: them just like you can with the ps2 games?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

I turn avatars off, out of respect for the newbies with stupid newbie avatars.

thats it im voting 1

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Just leave your poo poo on all day to earn currency for a lovely game instead of them designing a good one.

mobile games already innovated this on the first iphone

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
physical designs being copyrightable so you can't even photograph poo poo you own (or say, public buildings visible from the street) is extremely fail

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Steve Yun posted:

Not looking for a full tower, looking for something to play on the tv, and maybe in bed

Micro PC, laptop or Steam Deck (or Steam Deck clone)?

I’m also told gaming laptops get way hot because they cram in components that probably need desktop cooling. What do you guys think

do you have a pc already?
consider using the steam link app to stream gameplay from your existing PC to your phone, then just hook up a wireless controller
won't cost you anything so it's worth trying out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

There was an episode of a 90s sitcom (Roseanne?) where a kid gets a Super Nintendo, and he's play Super Mario World. It doesn't show the game, but you can tell the kid is playing it because he's smashing every button on the controller and moving around erratically to show he's playing the video game. But when he dies, one of the other characters says, "See, you died? That's your blood."

Mario does not bleed!!

he was playing on a haunted cartridge :ghost:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

well it's the only 2024 game i've played so far

you can vote a 1984 game as goty 2024 as long as you've played it and had fun this year

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Why is it ugly?

Not mentioned yet but the fact that everything is "stringly typed" is a big potential pain in the rear end.
The fact that he has to check stuff like self.ability.name == 'Fortune Teller' over and over is just asking for annoying typo-related bugs, since comparing the strings like means mistakes like 'Fortune Ttleler' won't be caught by the compiler and you won't see a problem until runtime.

It's also inefficient to do all those string comparisons each time but that doesn't really matter here since he's not writing any kind of performance-critical code. For the most part, unless you're writing a number-crunchy simulation heavy game like noita or dwarf fortress, indie-sized games can get away with real bad inefficient code as long as it's not buggy (which also means making it easy to maintain/modify and keep not-buggy).
Yandere simulator was one example of a game that was somehow programmed badly enough for the inefficiencies to really creep in and cause problems.
And of course every AAA game has to deal with that crap because they're always trying to push systems to the limit.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

haveblue posted:

Another famous case of really poor efficiency: some modder managed to reduce the load time of GTA Online by minutes because he noticed they had missed some very basic optimizations in their loading code

It wasn't just that they had missed optimizations, they had a bad algorithm that did catastrophic backtracking and ended up taking quadratic time for some simple string processing.
So less that they had missed some basic optimizations and more that they had introduced a bad bug that made it way worse than even totally unoptimized code.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 23, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

Do not look at screens before bed. It’s very bad for your sleep hygiene
Source : my mom I think (doctor)

lcd/led screens are bad (crt too for that matter)
but e-ink screens before bed are very good
curl up in the covers and read a book until you fall asleep, pro tip

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

What are walking simulators called in Japanese?

visual novels.
and they've further evolved to not even need the walking

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
nier automata does though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Infinitum posted:

Maybe they'll get to work on Starcraft 3 finally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHZru-6M8BY

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

External Organs posted:

What's their username ?

hth

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Subjunctive posted:

so I am told that Tarkov devs decided to gently caress the players who were captured enough to pay $140 USD for “all future DLC”, by releasing a $250 version with a mode that the 140-dollar peasants don’t get

just breathtaking, really

the $250 pack is pay to win too, it gives you stuff like a bigger inventory size and a special bonus where the hostile AI enemies won't shoot at you

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

I looked up Tarkov and I'm pretty surprised. It looked like any military shooting game. I knew it wasn't my thing so I never looked into it but for some reason I could've swore that it was a shooting and scavenging game but from an overhead perspective, mostly black and green, maybe ASCII or ASCII adjacent, and was some combo of zombie apocalypse roguelike and DayZ. Is that something else or did I just make up a game to fill in the blanks?

it is a shooting and scavenging game but yeah no overhead/zombie bits.
the whole gimmick is that your inventory of guns, body armor, healing items, etc is all persistent between rounds and all costs ingame money to buy.
you've gotta make money by looting good poo poo from the maps and getting out alive without other players killing you for your loot, and the better gear you take in the more you're risking since you lose it all if you die.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
lmao at the 360 degree whip waggle

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah but that one has mechas in it so it's gotta be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013