Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I was wondering, is there any specific thread in Video Games for talking about issue solving in PC games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

not a bad idea for a thread though, you should start one

But then I'd be OP and I'd have the nagging of needing a good OP despite knowing I can :justpost: (and also that I'm too paranoid to post external programs as solutions despite all evidence that they are safe).

haveblue posted:

I don't think there's a single generic PC troubleshooting thread (there's an entire other forum for that) but any game thread for a PC title is usually willing to handle that sort of question

Yeah but I noticed there's not for common Game issues Deal is I'm having troubles with STRANGER OF PARADISE: FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN and the FF thread seems to not have much experience, but given it seems similar to an issue I also had with the Wo Long demo I could ask in that thread.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jay Rust posted:

get ready for it to be Okay

If it's as good as Hollow Knight and not a step back that's a win in my books. Not that Silksong will ever release.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Waffleman_ posted:

At this point, the Pokemon games are like the Garfield comic strip. All the rights holders need is for it to exist. Who cares if making a small team crunch out an HD RPG every year maybe leads to half-baked product?

Specially since the mobile division is making 6 times that with even less effort besides content updates.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Love that he put all his effort in a 3 and a half hour video to validate anyone who experienced that and thought it was bullshit.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

man nurse posted:

Is this akin to how people deduced that like the original Mario Party was totally rigged and not actually random luck

Not really, it's more like if the Mario Party source code checked each AI on each minigame and randomly chose if that one won instead of just directly randomly choosing which AI won.

To be fair the bigger the source code the bigger gain there is in using a switch instead of if/else and also switch is easier to read, but unless it compromises performance badly who cares. Reminds me of a classmate at university who made an entire class project using if/else just because he could.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vermain posted:

it's mostly died out now, but there was a brief period where multiple people were making feature length youtube videos combing through yandere simulator's codebase to point out things like 1000 line if/else logic chains and other first year programming "don't do this" oddities

The funniest thing about that whole thing was the dev had partnered with TinyBuild (aka the Hello Neighbour devs/publishers) for help with coding and the programmer they had working on it went "what the hell" and rewrote the code to not be spaghetti sauce and the dev then broke partnership with them among multiple things because he couldn't understand the rewritten code.

Keep in mind it was stuff like changing (if variable==false) to (!variable), which are literally the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vermain posted:

it's only academic coding if the entire thing is stitched together with halfhearted "gently caress it, i don't know what's causing this poo poo, here's a bandaid fix" snippets

I remember turning in a class project where we had to make a simple version of NetHack in Java and the teacher reviewed them jointly with us and in mine he picked a second frying pan and it got equipped and I went "Uuuuh yeah, you can dual wield, cool right?"

He docked me some points for that.