Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Happy Gaypril, Gaymers :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

it's true :hehe:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
what's this NCG dude's claim to fame? I dont really watch discussions about video games but he seems familiar

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Hey, as lapsed old timey Harvest Moon fans who have not yet returned to the farm life genre post-Stardew, what is the second best farming and dating rpg sim thing, the one that isn't Stardew?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

njsykora posted:

Story of Seasons is the modern day Harvest Moon, right down to including a bunch of remakes of older Harvest Moon games. You could also look into the Rune Factory series.

yeah, we looked into Story of Seasons, but there's a number of them. I have Friends of Mineral Town, I think. Are there strictly better options than that, or is that one fair enough?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Endorph posted:

seeing every game journo in her replies kissing her rear end while none of them apologized to the devs ftw

..and that's how it's done! problem? :grin:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Been playing RoboCop, it's pretty decent but lol these devs love their overly complex gun upgrading mechanic that doesn't do much more than add a bunch of percentage modifiers.

It's called "Hardcore Gaming" look it up???

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's so cool lol.

is there any other industry that has a trade press as fundamentally as strangely antagonistic with the product and the consumer as video games journalists? literally all tiresome psycho online bullshit aside, it's their career path to be advertisers and drive sales.

I really can't imagine like, picking up the latest issue of Washing Machine Quarterly or National Parks Review and seeing this kind of behavior on display

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

mutata posted:

I'm sure game journalists and reviewers all walked in to their careers as clear-eyed capitalists, as you imply.

well, it's an industry press, correct? I don't really care what they have to say, I am just wondering and am curious if there's other industries out there that have this kind of dysfunction at work. I assume they all might have their own extreme peculiarities.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

goatface posted:

Most trade mags are written by jobbing journalists who do not give a single gently caress about the subject matter. Games journos are mostly fans, and fans ruin everything.

ah, yeah, that makes sense.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

There's Game Developer (formerly Gamasutra) that mostly report on the actual industry itself rather than clickbait tweets designed to make the weak-minded repost them here.

thanks! I really haven't kept up on this stuff in many years.

e: yes, this Game Developer website looks far more what I have imagined. I really don't know what I was thinking. thank you!

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 14, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Game of Thrones...

no thank u

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I never really watched his stuff, but I remember when learning of how Dan Harmon is a genuine shitbird and workplace hazard, one article I found was him complaining about having to stay ahead of the audience because they'd figure out all the plot twists of his cartoon show. I remember him using the term "human render farm" or something like that.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

DalaranJ posted:

They call this scorching desolate desert, sandland. No one ever said the people who named things had to be creative.

oh? what's so exactly uncreative about the title? can YOU do better?? 🤨

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I think it is a fine name

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

bobjr posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-indu...-games-with-it/

EA CEO talks AI, says the usual stuff before the bong rip hits and he starts blabbing about a future where 3 billion people are creating EA's games with it

Did he mean 3,000 people? Decimal error? Did he read a report wrong?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

:hellyeah:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Khanstant posted:

Workers should just lay off the executives. who needs em

:hellyeah:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Infinitum posted:

Yeah that was me. Their main monitor is off screen with cheats on top, they effectively clone it to a secondary screen in front of them, and their streaming capture software streams the game .exe screen free of cheat overlays; rather than the whole monitor.
So they get a 'clean' monitor, can turn their head to 'read chat', but are actually looking at the game with poo poo like wallhacks on.

There was a recent one where someone was doing a Blindfolded Monster Hunter Run on one of the hardest bosses and got caught cheating - blindfold wasn't thick enough, and they were peaking out the bottom.

Then to prove they weren't cheating, did the run again.
New blindfold, papers covering the monitors, camera pointed towards her dual screens, basically 'this is super legit'

Annnnnnd then they got caught cheating a 2nd time by having a hidden 3rd monitor off camera that they were caught looking at in the setup stage and reading chat messages off of; before they cloned the game screen to it so they could peak under the blindfold again

Skip to the 13min mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OlxQb0jT-w

Bless the content creators bringing the constant fuckups to youtube for our viewing pleasure :allears:

Pure hosed up Carnie behavior. Nightmare Alley bullshit.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I went off psych meds and my dreams went from "blissful nonexistence" to "more bullshit to contend with"

it suuuucks

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I had a dream that multiple videos of me at age 14 awkwardly having fun practicing the dance from Toxic by Britney Spears became a meme and went extremely viral and I became known in the media as "The Toxic Kid"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Remember that Magic The Gathering ARPG? I signed up for the Alpha Test, played for about 10 minutes and got da gently caress out of there. Havent heard about it since!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Vermain posted:

that would be due to it shutting down without ever leaving beta because feedback was so universally negative that WotC ate their losses and dipped

haha! I think I heard something recently about a bunch of half-assed D&D games that got cancelled prior to Larian's Baldur's Gate release, and had assumed

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

I said come in! posted:

Yeah PS2 emulation is really the only way to play the PlayStation 2 era GTA games now. Rockstar hasnt fixed the remasters and doesn't intend to, and buried the original releases for PC and sued anyone who tried to restore them.

It is good to see that Rockstar is maintaining the spirit of the games.

True personal freedom in the face of the absurd and powerful lies within a life of crime.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Final Fantasy is the best JRPG franchise there is, in this Gamer's opinion.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Quackles posted:

Ehhhh, I'd say the Mario+Luigi RPG franchise has you beat there.

It does not! but there's room here enough for everyone's JRPG favs, except Arc the Lad. :)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Alundra also is a disallowed fav :nono:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Nintendo Switch had a system update that added folders but theyre strangely difficult to access so I only accidentally ever see them

not sure what the point was other than to say that they technically exist :confused:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I would like a sequel to Stranger of Paradise that is also a sequel to Final Fantasy 2

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Call me a tedious online contrarian pendant, but Ive enjoyed all the Final Fantasy games Ive played so far!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Maybe Im being overly critical, but I like all the Dragon Quest games! I dont mean to rile up the crowd here, heh heh...

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
are there people legitimately annoyed at the Balatro guy's success over the silly code or is it merely "heh! good for him!"

I recall the Regency Solitaire II devs seeming pretty irritated lol

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I feel that the Balatro guy should be seen as an inspiration to all coders everwhere with big ideas! :)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

HopperUK posted:

That's it I'm gonna get back to learning to code and make something. It's inspiring.

Why stop at "Hello, World!"?

For instance, how about "Hello, World!" but with Yankee Doodle Dandy stabbing your eardrums via shrill PC Speaker at an unreasonable volume? Why not? By learning to code, the possibilities are endless!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
All you need to know about Balatro is that it's a top tier Deckbuilder with large numbers and no microtransactions. Naturally, it was already GOTY 2024 for many people back in February.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
if there's Bullet Hell, where you must course an arduous path through the bullets at lightning speed, that implies there's a Bullet Heaven, where you eat garlic and watch the flashing light show :pcgaming:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Sorry, pops. I'm not into Roguelikes, like Darkest Dungeon. I'm into Roguelites, like Slay The Spire. Not sure what that Matrix looking crap is????

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
How dare you speak ill of Torment: Tides of Numanuma!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

xoFcitcrA posted:

Only ever played Final Fantasy Legend on original GameBoy. I remember it being odd and liking it.

you remember correctly