Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GlyphGryph posted:

Heist was by far the best steamworld game and I didn't realize a sequel was even being considered, this is great news.

This is Steamworld Dig 2 erasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Yes, they left out monster girl breeding games

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Steve Yun posted:

I think I read somewhere that the part of your brain that processes words turns off during sleep which is why people can’t read things in dreams and maybe why smartphones generally don’t show up either

I dream about my phone but every time I try to do something simple on it like go to a website, I fail to do it.

It is also comically soft and often breaks in half like a plate of chocolate and I have to hold it together to keep it working

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Waffleman_ posted:

Ever since I moved into my new condo, I often have dreams about living in houses that are not my house and them being kinda spoopy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1jXlEhfuig&t=574s

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Jay Rust posted:

God, I don’t know which of my video game accomplishments I should highlight on my dating app profile

steam is a dating app now?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
just looked up some xDefiant screens...so, this is not the battle royale that took place in a virtual Paris that they showed some years ago? what the hell was that one called?

edit: it was hyperscape

ymgve fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 19, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Vermain posted:

in game engines like unity, an interactive game element like a card or a piece of equipment is normally stored as its own separate asset that you edit via an interface, which makes it easy to keep track of them and edit them on the fly and makes the game run more efficiently, because all of its game logic (what the card/item/whatever is supposed to do) is contained in that asset. in this case, the balatro devs have hardcoded every single card so that the game first has to check to see what the card's name is and then tell the game what to do based off of that name

to put it into human terms, it'd be like going to the grocery store's fruit section and seeing all your favorite fruits laid out nicely versus going to the grocery store's fruit section to see that all the fruits are hidden inside individual wooden chests that you need to open to see what's inside

it's mostly died out now, but there was a brief period where multiple people were making feature length youtube videos combing through yandere simulator's codebase to point out things like 1000 line if/else logic chains and other first year programming "don't do this" oddities

On the other hand, keeping all the logic code in one place instead of spread across hundreds of asset files can make it easier to do large global changes. It's not like efficiency matters to this thing which is most likely run once per hand you play.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

stev posted:

The update on PC is basically nothing sadly. Just ultra widescreen support.

There seems to be a bit of additional content too but doesn't sound very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I still need to try yakisoba pan some day