Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should have main-evented UFC 300?
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall
Georges St-Pierre vs Khabib Nurmagomedov
Mark Hunt vs Dana White
Mark Coleman vs A Fire
Mark Twain vs The Tainted Legacy of Americana
View Results

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

beep by grandpa posted:

So career heavyweight francis ngannou got stripped of the belt he had for like 4mo bc he wanted to fight in September instead of August and we are now a month into year 2 of jon jones' hw reign which he has had approx 1 fight in ever, cool

you try and strip the guy of the title. use a piss collector to distract him or something. it won't be me knocking on his door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Trashweight is starting to make a lot of sense to me. Trash.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
😱😱 DID JON 🦴🦴🦴 JONES 👑 FUMBLE 🏈 THE BAG??? 💰 💯💯💯

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Buschmaki posted:

😱😱 DID JON 🦴🦴🦴 JONES 👑 FUMBLE 🏈 THE BAG??? 💰 💯💯💯
<thick Hungarian accent> I will not buy this pay-per-view; it is scratched

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058043

GDT for Allen/Curtis 2. Fights start in 30, I for once am gonna miss the prelims, someone root for Jean Matsumoto for me.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

So career heavyweight francis ngannou got stripped of the belt he had for like 4mo bc he wanted to fight in September instead of August and we are now a month into year 2 of jon jones' hw reign which he has had approx 1 fight in ever, cool

no, career heavyweight francis ngannou got hosed over cuz he was talking about fighter pay and poo poo (though, beyond for himself, it might've been all talk)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

edit: oops, meant to post in GDT, not double post here.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Brut posted:

edit: oops, meant to post in GDT, not double post here.

Coward

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lol what? I did end up just copy/pasting it to the GDT a minute later

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Maybe this should go in the Jon Jones thread, but I also kind of think it'll just be a branding thing not an actual physical improvement to protect fighters:

https://twitter.com/PhotoAmy33/status/1777453288302223658

mewse
May 2, 2006

ccubed posted:

Maybe this should go in the Jon Jones thread, but I also kind of think it'll just be a branding thing not an actual physical improvement to protect fighters:

https://twitter.com/PhotoAmy33/status/1777453288302223658

i don’t really know context for “why now” but i’ve seen ufc catching flak on socials recently for their gloves causing eye pokes despite having the IP for pride style gloves — so maybe they’re finally doing something

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I beg your pardon,

the what

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The new gloves have syringes in them that inject steroids and other drugs into the opponent with each punch (or themselves I suppose)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

I beg your pardon,

the what

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877861&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 :confused:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If they're doing some kinda pretty or pretty ugly colour scheme for the canvas I could see matching gloves or something.

Still iirc didn't they premier new unis, graphics etc etc at 200? Or am I misremembering?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My guess is it's either a sponsor going on the glove or something to do with 300 itself.

Reebok era started with 189

200 they did the lovely gold/yellow octagon

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The UFC's autoopening glove has been getting a lot of flak on my algo recently, so maybe theyre debuting a glove that works completely differently right before 300 for some reason

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I haven't been keeping up but I heard about Jon Jones latest bullshit so I just wanted to pop in and say gently caress JON JONES

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

It’s going to be the same old gloves with that awful 300 text

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What they mean is they're giving every fighter on the card a new pair of gloves to use, as they've forced them to use the same ones since they debuted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Using old gloves would better in some ways than UFC gloves. They're using new ones for every fight, and the gloves are super stiff toward the hands being open instead of closed. A glove that is naturally curved instead of straight would encourage more of a fist than straight fingers when relaxed. A bunch of different orgs use gloves like this and have fewer eyepokes per fight than the UFC.

The UFC has refused to change because they own all the IP for their current gloves whereas with different ones they would have to pay someone else something, which is intolerable to Dana.

Also they don't use pride gloves because Dana hates pride.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
might be new gloves?

https://x.com/chase_hooper/status/1777726462659092620

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I refuse to believe that the UFC can do something positive at this point so will assume it's a tacky rebrand until proved otherwise.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fighters can now pick letters to get etched into the knuckle of the glove so they can cartoonishly punch their catchphrases into their opponents head

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

sold branding to Meta so the fighters' thumbs stick out perfectly perpendicular to the closed fist 100% of the time to emulate facebook's iconic "thumbs up"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eat This Glob posted:

sold branding to Meta so the fighters' thumbs stick out perfectly perpendicular to the closed fist 100% of the time to emulate facebook's iconic "thumbs up"

Hey Alex, I saw your social media post and i give it a thumbs… down #MetaHorizonWorlds

🗿🗿#Threads

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hey look UFC actually letting fighters have some custom unique shorts!
https://x.com/ufcontnt/status/1777788476320358845

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:rubby:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Hey look UFC actually letting fighters have some custom unique shorts!
https://x.com/ufcontnt/status/1777788476320358845

Nice shorts for a beach party.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It's like a captcha to prove your opponent isn't a robot

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

More fighters need to wear flowers. not even joking

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh gently caress 300 is this weekend huh? snuck up on me. I like the custom unreadable shorts, hopefully they actually worked with the fighters about those rather than just suddenly made them wear it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I saw a poster with the actual fights listed on it instead of just 300.

Plain to see why they're burying the lede

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren:

PFL 2024 2: Friday, April 12. 6:30 PM ET, ESPN 2

PFL is showing off maybe their premiere division, Lightweight. The Light Heavyweights are also here, if you’re into that kind of thing.

In the main event, last year’s 205 lb champ, Impa Kasanganay takes on Alex Polizzi. Kasanganay had a very close fight with Johnny Eblen at the big Bellator champs vs PFL champs event last year. Polizzi is on a two-fight skid, having gotten punched out at the last possible second by Yoel Romero, and then dropping a decision to title challenger Karl Moore. This should be a showcase fight for Impa, since Alex is most known for sporting a temporary Arby’s tattoo.

The co-main features Rob Wilkinson taking on Tom Breese because Phil Davis withdrew. Wilkinson notably tested positive for a big pile of steroids last year, knocking him out of the 2023 PFL season. Breese is on a three fight win streak, most recently winning at PFL Europe in December.

In what should be the main event, Clay Collard takes on Patricky Pitbull in Lightweight action. With Olivier Aubin-Mercier’s retirement, the division will finally have a new champ, and Collard and Pitbull are probably the two biggest names in the division. Expect bunches of punches!

Mads Burnell takes on Michael Dufort in another Lightweight season bout. Both guys have a slew of submission wins, so that probably means we’ll get fifteen minutes of Tepid Kickboxing.

Back up at 205 lbs, former Welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moves up two weight classes to take on Josh Silveira. Both guys lost in the 2023 tournament finals, so they have that in common.

Dovletdzhan Yagshimuradov takes on Jakob Nedoh in another Light Heavyweight contest. Yagshimuradov is on a 3-bout Bellator win streak, while Nedoh hasn’t lost since his pro debut, running up a total record of 8-1. Nedoh won the PFL Europe title last year, finishing all three bouts by first round KO.

The main card starts with FACE SHOE taking on Simon Biyong. I don’t give a hoot or a honk about the other 205ers, I care only for FACE SHOE.

Down on the prelims, we’ve got Bruno Miranda taking on Brent Primus. Miranda most recently lost to OAM in the playoffs, while Primus No Contested with Usman Nurmagomedov. Both guys are solid enough, so the bout should be pretty decent.

Gadzhi Rabadanov faces Solomon Renfro. Rabadanov is on a six-fight win streak, while Renfro most recently lost to Magomed Magomedkerimov. This would mark Renfro’s first fight at 155 lbs.

Next up, my dude Jay Jay Wilson takes on Adam Piccolotti. WIlson is 10-1 with his lone loss coming against Gadzhi Rabadanov, and I just think he’s real neat, while Piccolotti became my nemesis after he defeated my other dude, Mandel “Rat Garbage” Nallo.

Elvin Espinoza takes on Anthony Romero and Marcelo Nunes faces Jordan Heiderman to start the prelims. Those sure are four men.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I saw a poster with the actual fights listed on it instead of just 300.

Plain to see why they're burying the lede

If you’re not into this card, you’ll probably want to sit out the next half year or so.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Zhang vs Xiaonan on it's own is enough to sell a card

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I guess the quality depends on how many of those fights you feel are squash matches.

I think Justin Gaethje is gonna kill Max and make everyone sad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

Zhang vs Xiaonan on it's own is enough to sell a card

That certainly not what UFC marketing thinks, but when have they ever been right.

I’m curious about country vs same country title fight stats. US, obviously. But struggling to think of any all Brazil title bouts.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

That certainly not what UFC marketing thinks, but when have they ever been right.

I’m curious about country vs same country title fight stats. US, obviously. But struggling to think of any all Brazil title bouts.
Silva-Leites
Silva-Maia
Machida-Shogun x2

Can you tell my fandom started to decline 100 UFCs ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anderson fought Vitor and Maia.

Shogun vs Machida

Efb