Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should have main-evented UFC 300?
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall
Georges St-Pierre vs Khabib Nurmagomedov
Mark Hunt vs Dana White
Mark Coleman vs A Fire
Mark Twain vs The Tainted Legacy of Americana
View Results

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Double poat

UFC did announce new gloves. Will debuted at 302
https://x.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1778846907030442145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not much in the way of shaping still, nor knuckle padding. I wonder if some strikers might prefer a model with stiffer wrist and different pad distribution. Presumably an AC would be ok with different models since that’s the norm for boxing and kickboxing.

Honestly can’t tell if Anik actually read that or if they used AI to capture his voice.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

cagliostr0 posted:

The toughest matchup on the card is Kayla Harrison vs the weigh in scales

Everyone made weight!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Double poat

UFC did announce new gloves. Will debuted at 302
https://x.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1778846907030442145

I don't know what I was expecting but their spec sheet listing two models but one of them is colored gold makes me think there isn't actually any innovation here

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Okay so first reaction is that nobody read any of the copy while they were writing it, or maybe they have a keyboard without a backspace. "The UFC Official Fight Glove is name 3EIGHT based on the 3 rounds in the Octagon, all gloves except the Champion glove and 5EIGHT based on the 5 rounds in the Octagon for the Championship fights." is a sentence that the UFC put in an official piece of promotional material.

Second reaction is that even the glove display hands are doing the Moe Howard "why I oughta" index and middle finger extension, so eye gouging is still certainly on the menu with these puppies

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

Not sure if this is more a testament to how drat good DJ was, champs now aren't good or if divisions are so much better that's it's just harder to defend.

DJ has the same number of title defenses as all the champs on 300 combined at 11

Max and Aljo both have 3
Zhang has 2 (2 reigns)
Figgy has 2 (1 is a draw)
Charles has 1
Alex, Jamal, Justin(he was interim champ going into the Khabib fight), Jiri, Holm, Cody all have 0

Leon and Islam share the current record of defenses at 2
Some of it is rising competition, but I think the biggest part of it is how the matchmaking has changed. DJ was very, very clear about his goals: He wanted to break the UFC's title defense record and he wanted to be the best Flyweight of all time. That plus the UFC's new Fox deal needing title fights and DJ always being up for it meant he got to fight for his belt, on average, once every 165 days. He did not go a single year without multiple title defenses right up until he finally lost it. You can't divorce luck from that, to some extent; he clearly trained more wisely than his peers in a number of ways, but you don't go through 5 years of constant top-level title fights without a single major injury without luck being involved.

But you also have to remember, by his own admission, he was constantly having to turn down the UFC's attempts to get him to stop defending the title so they could focus on a cross-class fight with Cruz or Dillashaw, to the point that they were threatening to just strip him and close the Flyweight division and he called their bluff. And that's the thing that's happening way more now and fighters are choosing to play into it because a) it's way, way harder to have bargaining strength in the current MMA market and b) maybe you'll make more money/pride/name out of becoming a double champ.

Like, Islam is closest to DJ's ratio at 1 title fight per 178 days, but that's gotten hosed up by cross-class stuff and he's talking about waiting out after his next fight to go gently caress around at 170. Leon's at 1 per 199 days, and we just found out about how hard they tried to book Leon vs Khamzat at 185 for UFC 300.

Hell, Volkanovski is a great analogue. Volk's arguably the most dominant, well-respected champion of any of the men's weight classes in the modern era and his schedule bears it out--but because the UFC had him loving around at 155 against Islam repeatedly, he only managed one successful title defense in the last 592 days he held the belt.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

"The UFC Official Fight Glove is name 3EIGHT based on the 3 rounds in the Octagon, all gloves except the Champion glove and 5EIGHT based on the 5 rounds in the Octagon for the Championship fights." is a sentence that the UFC put in an official piece of promotional material.

That sentence also neglects to explain the difference between the two models is cosmetic. It also neglects to explain that the EIGHT in the name refers to 8 oz gloves. While this muddies the water nicely:

The entire thing neglecting to discuss anything related to hand curve or eye pokes is amazing

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
why do the gloves have a microchip in them, and why does the ufc focus so much on actual fightwear? MMA isnt really a participant focused spectator sport is it...? Are randos buying fight shorts to work out in...?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Buschmaki posted:

Are randos buying fight shorts to work out in...?

yes

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Willing to bet that certain fighters have been 'testing' the new gloves for a while and others are going to be strapping them on for the first time tomorrow.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

why do the gloves have a microchip in them,

strike stat tracking

mewse
May 2, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

why does the ufc focus so much on actual fightwear?

It's a cross promotional opportunity, theoretically beneficial for the UFC and the equipment supplier. Reebok provided equipment to the UFC for cheap, and received exposure in return. Somewhere in the contract is UFC's obligation to promote the lovely, over-priced gear.

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 12, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

why do the gloves have a microchip in them

quote:

As an additional first-time innovation for UFC gloves, the 3EIGHT and 5EIGHT series will be embedded with NFC chips that utilize technology on the VeChainThor blockchain powered by VeChain, UFC’s official blockchain partner. Fans who purchase the gloves as memorabilia will be able to scan the chips via the official UFC website to view and verify the authenticity of the gloves and any history that is associated with them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmfao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
how is this within a page of the KC rules change pushed through by a crypto baron

that was the most cringe thing I’d ever heard about combat sports and the record stood for less than 24hrs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought it would be something real weird and dumb like acceleration but it's so much dumber

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

The opening segment of the weigh-in show was great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76dmhvGySs

Some other great moments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76dmhvGySs&t=8550s

https://twitter.com/SpinninBackfist/status/1778818618144460866

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

DoombatINC posted:

Second reaction is that even the glove display hands are doing the Moe Howard "why I oughta" index and middle finger extension, so eye gouging is still certainly on the menu with these puppies

lol yeh this was my immediate reaction as well

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the big thing with the new gloves is the lack of seams so incidental cuts may not be as prevalent

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

STING 64 posted:

the big thing with the new gloves is the lack of seams so incidental cuts may not be as prevalent

JUST BLEED less

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

The entire thing neglecting to discuss anything related to hand curve or eye pokes is amazing

As far as I’m concerned, this was supposed to be Joe Rogan’s one good deed. I’m sure he caught wind of the redesign. Maybe too busy yukking it up with the far right.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think that Joe Rogan has a lot less input into the UFCs upper workings than people imagine.

I also think that the stupidity of the UFC cuts both ways, an upgrade to avoid eye pokes wouldn't be something they'd admit to if they did it, probably to avoid any potential "you knew this was an issue for how long" but the dumbest explanation with the UFC is usually the most accurate and they either don't care its an issue or its just not a priority because what's a few eyeballs and fighter safety compared to the 5 bucks per unit you save in design and manufacturing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

Not sure if this is more a testament to how drat good DJ was, champs now aren't good or if divisions are so much better that's it's just harder to defend.

DJ has the same number of title defenses as all the champs on 300 combined at 11

Max and Aljo both have 3
Zhang has 2 (2 reigns)
Figgy has 2 (1 is a draw)
Charles has 1
Alex, Jamal, Justin(he was interim champ going into the Khabib fight), Jiri, Holm, Cody all have 0

Leon and Islam share the current record of defenses at 2

Also, I don't care about the circumstances of his reign, DJ is the best fighter of all time he had exactly one deficiency in his game that I could see in hours of watching him fight and no one was good enough to exploit it because they were too busy being poo poo whipped in a variety of ways.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

BlindSite posted:

Also, I don't care about the circumstances of his reign, DJ is the best fighter of all time he had exactly one deficiency in his game that I could see in hours of watching him fight and no one was good enough to exploit it because they were too busy being poo poo whipped in a variety of ways.

was his deficiency that he just a lil smol guy?

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

It's funny to me that zero fights have fallen apart for 300. I suspect some folks are going to be fighting with some gnarly preexisting injuries tomorrow

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I watched Roadhouse last night and I think I love Conor now

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I watched Roadhouse last night and I think I love Conor now

Is this accurate

https://www.tiktok.com/@treythekage/video/7349603749163191595

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

They should make the gloves glow and turn the lights off in the arena for the second round. They should put me in charge

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Unperson_47 posted:

They should make the gloves glow and turn the lights off in the arena for the second round. They should put me in charge

Cosmic Bowling, but for fist fights. I like it!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Also, I know everyone is hyped up for UFC 300, but I just want to note from PFL: Face Shoe is back, baby!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

lmao yes uncanny accuracy

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yes

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Clay Collard punches a lot and is cool and good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

was his deficiency that he just a lil smol guy?

Honestly? He had a tendency to move in an out very straight without cutting an angle, he'd cut angles before and after moving in and out to force his opponent to turn while he could re-set and breathe but he would often dart in and out on his opponents centre line - something we saw get him rocked a few times, and he had a tendency when doing this to leave himself open to a swarming counter - mostly because he was so good at discerning range where he'd think himself safe and set only to have someone in his face, or have guys literally grab him in the clinch and brawl. He also had a discernable and obvious rhythm. Click through this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5MQLSgXAPw and it doesn't happen in every exchange but it happens a whole lot where DJ does the bob/weave, bob/weave attack, out, bob/weave, bob/weave attack, and those patterns become a guy's default when they're tired, under pressure, hurt etc and its very hard to break.

Triple cringe interrupted this pattern a whole lot which is why their fight was so razor thin when DJ lost - I thought DJ won that fight but he didn't get those periods of rest and wasn't able to dictate the pace quite as much with the way Cejudo was able to sustain pressure and interrupt those patterns and his timing.

The problem was most of the division had that issue of compared to DJ if they
Can strike / submissions - they can't wrestle
can wrestle - can't strike

The only guy who was close to DJ's ability to throw a good mix and defend his good mix was Cejudo who had the right game plan and executed it really well, even if I thought he lost.

Again this is such a minor technical complaint it really is like complaining the Michelin star meal didn't have the garnish oriented right at 4 o'clock when you were served - because more often than not it didn't matter if you could see these openings because when he darted in he was fuckin' people up, and if they tried to clinch they ended up on their back getting their face smashed in.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Ok, so a dumb reason then

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeBohn/status/1778944887662023006

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can’t wait until the UFC’s strategy of having a roster full of CTE do their own promos results in a bunch of sl- oh right strickland

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 13, 2024

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's pretty insane that they just keep letting the insane bigot with homicidal ideation get more brain damage

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Dont wanna knock someone from my hometown and question their decisions tho.... and of course by that I mean the OG of the fight biz, the gangster from Boston, Dana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Strickland is just dumb as poo poo and was horribly abused as a child.

Hes still able to make his own informed decision about fighting professionally.