Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should have main-evented UFC 300?
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall
Georges St-Pierre vs Khabib Nurmagomedov
Mark Hunt vs Dana White
Mark Coleman vs A Fire
Mark Twain vs The Tainted Legacy of Americana
View Results

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Unperson_47 posted:

They should make the gloves glow and turn the lights off in the arena for the second round. They should put me in charge

I didn't realise John Nutt had an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mark Coleman gets to put the belt on whoever wins the BMF fight.

He should get to keep it himself

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
:siren:Get your picks in!:siren:

https://www.tapology.com/groups/998/events/180784

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058485

The GDT for UFC 300 is up. Prelims in about half an hour, and boy, it's nice to be unequivocally excited for a card.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Dana White's Knockout Game

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rename the subforum to The Hammer House: MAX HOLLOWAY.

He is the absolute greatest.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Rename the subforum to The Hammer House: MAX HOLLOWAY.

He is the absolute greatest.

The Max Hallway

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apparently, the punch that Pereira threw to drop hill took a third of a second to complete the full process of throw>connect.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Apparently, the punch that Pereira threw to drop hill took a third of a second to complete the full process of throw>connect.

According to DC it wasn't Alex's whole fist (I'm not sure DC can see).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Really minor note -- Zhang Weili's translator was pretty good, and/though she took a small liberty with Weili's Chinese tourism board promo at the end --
Weili said "China has 56 ethnic groups," which is a classic communist party line about the diverse background of the nation unifying under communism, though most people don't think of it that deeply.
Nevertheless, it is a bit political, especially since Uyghurs are in that list. The translator decided to sub in "China has great food," which was good thinking on her feet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ I'm still thinking about the end of Holloway vs. Gaethje. An already great fight elevated to legendary status in the final moments.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want Max to retire on that victory, he's already immortal in the eyes of many, but there's literally no better fight anyone could retire on.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ I'm still thinking about the end of Holloway vs. Gaethje. An already great fight elevated to legendary status in the final moments.

I yelled very loudly at the end of Max/Justin. Justin hitting his nose on his knee while crumpling to the mat was insane.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

An all-timer ending :stare:

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
that was the best card ive seen in awhile

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that was a ridiculously good card. i don't have the patience for super long cards anymore (old cards had like 10 fights!!) but there were so many good fights on this one.

perreira not even looking at herb and pushing him away then murdering hill is nuts

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Eyepokes and spinning poo poo are the tools of the coward, not the BMF. Shame on Max Holloway.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How many times have you all watched last night's bmf finish?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I'm easily over 10 times

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

How many times have you all watched last night's bmf finish?

Saw someone saying this is like someone shouted ANDY'S COMING lol

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is the blood dripping from his right knee from when his chin hit his knee on the way down, or was it already bleeding from before?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ugly Tony posted:

that was the best card ive seen in awhile

Hold your breath for 400 -- it'll be good, hopefully.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Rakic making fun of Jiri for not being a real samurai and saying he's actually just some Czech guy who read a book once and owns a katana

And Jiri clearly furious about it all week while doing his best to follow The Bushido Code and not let the bullies win

Rakic coming out and looking like a solid MMA fighter for the first round, doing everything right, kicking the poo poo out of Jiri's legs

Jiri refusing to defend even a single blow because it would go against what Miyamoto Musashi wanted

Jiri brutally knocking out Rakic based on pure spite and the ganbatte spirit

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

max/justin was absolutely unreal. great night of fights

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

I want Max to retire on that victory, he's already immortal in the eyes of many, but there's literally no better fight anyone could retire on.

Like Khabib every fighter should retire after beating the poo poo out of Gaethje.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That event ruled rear end and I wish so very much that they would put in anything close to that level of effort more often. Even just one Dynamite!!-style supercard a year would go a long way.

Also it's hilarious that Gaethje and Oliveira both put off promised title shots to take an unnecessary fight and both got punched right out of title contention on the same night.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

That event ruled rear end and I wish so very much that they would put in anything close to that level of effort more often.

Stacking a card raises the odds of something amazing happening, but Max reprising his stand and bang closeout and actually capping the fight off with the ko is cinema beyond calculation.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 14, 2024

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Absolutely. The magic of MMA is the degree to which wild poo poo can happen, the likelihood just tends to go up when you bring your bigger guns out. For as much as the tournament format is a logistical nightmare that so often ends in disappointment, it's also why it's stayed so powerful. Throw Kevin Randleman, Mirko Cro Cop, Sergei Kharitonov, Fedor and Giant loving Silva into a blender and see what happens.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That card was amazing. I can't get over Pereira's "no, herb, I'll handle this" not being the craziest knockout of the evening

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Props to Hill for rolling in with that presumably injury induced muffin top to really seal the deal on the comedy of that KO.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ilmucche posted:

That card was amazing. I can't get over Pereira's "no, herb, I'll handle this" not being the craziest knockout of the evening

I’m not one for memes but it immediately had me thinking of Mighty Mouse and also that Toy Story woody one

Was Mighty Mouse herb too?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
anyone got a clip/gif of the first back kick that busted gaethje's nose?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Stacking a card raises the odds of something amazing happening, but Max reprising his stand and bang closeout and actually capping the fight off with the ko is cinema beyond calculation.

I'll be honest I hate the stand and bang closeout. It never works. Both guys are always gassed out and exhausted, you're not getting those last needed points from it. So it was insanely sick to see Max do that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Everything about 300 lived up to my expectations. Loved it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Huh? I could see wanting Max to retire after the trilogy, but now? He's 32 years old, here's a fun little one for you, we might see Max on UFC 400.

Also Jim Miller should train how to be a ref so that he can be on UFC 400, I guess they could have him do commentary too or something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4bbjgiuXGw/?igsh=aHJpMm8zZ3Bzc3Z6

Unsurprising: JBK finding the skit funny
Surprising: that Pereira didn't shatter the phone into a thousand pieces

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just watched the fights and :drat:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ilmucche posted:

It wasn't even the knockout that got the non-Max POTN! That was Jiri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

how many times is holloway gonna get people to stand in the middle and trade with him just by asking