Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should have main-evented UFC 300?
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall
Georges St-Pierre vs Khabib Nurmagomedov
Mark Hunt vs Dana White
Mark Coleman vs A Fire
Mark Twain vs The Tainted Legacy of Americana
View Results

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

He wasn't asking he was telling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

did pereira not get a bonus at all for his ko? wtf?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rubellavator posted:

how many times is holloway gonna get people to stand in the middle and trade with him just by asking

The oildome tactic of our times.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
max's performance was really crazy. i think i gave him more of a chance than most people did but i thought it was like a 50/50 if max didn't get knocked out. not that it was going to be a 4-1 decisive win (that ended dramatically) where max looked like he had no problem with gaethje's power, where he looked fast and sharp as hell, and where you can clearly see where all the energy he poured into beating volkanovski went. the back kick counter to gaethje's hunchback defense came out like a half dozen times and worked every time. the way he lulled gaethje into thinking they were back to having a fencing match before rocking him with a two punch combo, like four or five times in the fight. good stuff.

i was upset that chucky lost. but the way he lost made me less upset, because i think the unfortunate reality is that unless tsarukyan has become a much superior grappler to islam (unlikely, given their last fight and how good islam is) then charles getting mount like a minute into the fight, only to lose top position and be slowly ground on with elbows for several minutes, was a very bad sign for the rematch.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

ilmucche posted:

did pereira not get a bonus at all for his ko? wtf?

my assumption is that dana was annoyed at how much $$$ alex already extracted from them agreeing to be the a-side on the ufc 300 main event. bonuses are completely opaque and political

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

every single thing about that jiri fight, his win and the surrounding story of the fight is loving funny

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

the back kick counter to gaethje's hunchback defense came out like a half dozen times and worked every time. the way he lulled gaethje into thinking they were back to having a fencing match before rocking him with a two punch combo, like four or five times in the fight. good stuff.

it was a great scout on JG's tendencies, and I'm surprised how readily he could be baited into ducking with no real feint before the spin. The last few times Max threw it were pretty ineffective but still enough to break JG's advance.

Overall, Max was lucky he had the pain endurance for the leg kicks, but clear of that, had such perfect footwork and balance at all times, throwing in shits to the body and getting off line. He outclassed JG's good but not great punching pretty much from the get-go, getting the timing down enough to score singles and then combos as the rounds wore on.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Foul Fowl posted:

max's performance was really crazy. i think i gave him more of a chance than most people did but i thought it was like a 50/50 if max didn't get knocked out. not that it was going to be a 4-1 decisive win (that ended dramatically)

Those judges giving Justin that round are a joke.

The fight was Max’s start to finish.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I saw the finish again today, unintentionally, and it's still as hype now

Max Holloway ftmfw

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

beep by grandpa posted:

every single thing about that jiri fight, his win and the surrounding story of the fight is loving funny

what was this about him getting told he wasn't a samurai?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

ilmucche posted:

what was this about him getting told he wasn't a samurai?

Rakic said "hey, you know you're not a real samurai, right?"

And Jiri was outwardly calm, but internally was a raging inferno and said "heh, we'll see"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LobsterMobster posted:

Rakic said "hey, you know you're not a real samurai, right?"

And Jiri was outwardly calm, but internally was a raging inferno and said "heh, we'll see"

is that all he said? i thought it was way more than that lol

jiri seemed so upset i felt bad for him

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Doesn't feel very in line with the philosophy of Musashi. Perhaps Jiri should practice more self-discipline.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

hey yo, this mf disrespecting bushido

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
God drat, what a show. Unfortunately, I'm basing that on highlights because the people I watch with didn't get together for this one. I've never tried to go back and watch a show but we might have to for this one. Do shows go up on ESPN+ or is there an easy way to watch after it aired?

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Not sure about the USA but in the UK ppvs go on fight pass 2 days after they air.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Max Holloway loving rules and I've never been more glad to be wrong about a fight pick.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Quid posted:

God drat, what a show. Unfortunately, I'm basing that on highlights because the people I watch with didn't get together for this one. I've never tried to go back and watch a show but we might have to for this one. Do shows go up on ESPN+ or is there an easy way to watch after it aired?

Whole card is on Hulu if you have that (or so I have been told. This goes for like every ufc card. )

If not, then you would have to buy the PPV via ESPN+. I don't know how long it takes but probably a few weeks till it's on Fightpass.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 15, 2024

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Doesn't feel very in line with the philosophy of Musashi. Perhaps Jiri should practice more self-discipline.
Being quite relaxed outwardly and then absolutely wrecking someone's poo poo just to prove you can is exactly in line with how Musashi lived his life.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jiri spends an hour a day just practicing The Look from Vagabond

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope Rakic getting his rear end kicked so bad inspires him to study the Blade

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

More people should piss off Jiri only to be humbled imo

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Welp, I was very wrong about the gaethje Max match up. What was up with gaethjes left? leg He rolled his foot several times early on in the fight.

Big Max is Big.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Jiri rules, Max rules, the UFC is in many ways only getting lamer year by year while the current management speedruns the private equity rulebook, but it's impossibly sick that we keep developing new guys that have the true Samurai / "what motherfucker what you got" spirit. i hope that never changes and that responsible management comes in so that these guys can do this incredibly brave + cool poo poo with some modicum of care and concern for them.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Zhang vs Yan was cool too. Getting choked out and then coming back to make it a competitive fight shows how much you want to be a loving fighter

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

cagliostr0 posted:

Zhang vs Yan was cool too. Getting choked out and then coming back to make it a competitive fight shows how much you want to be a loving fighter

I have a huge issue with that fight. If the cut man has to ask “should I wake her up?”, that means he’s doing something he otherwise shouldn’t do. If it was merely “opening her nasal passage”, he shouldn’t have asked. He should have just done it. The only reason to have asked was to do something wrong.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Other than the obvious one of favourite moments was Jiri just reacting with disbelief that his opponent would dare try to attack him

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Super Deuce posted:

I have a huge issue with that fight. If the cut man has to ask “should I wake her up?”, that means he’s doing something he otherwise shouldn’t do. If it was merely “opening her nasal passage”, he shouldn’t have asked. He should have just done it. The only reason to have asked was to do something wrong.

It's not like they busted out a Ventolin inhaler. The doctor and the ref are the ones who decide if it shouldn't continue, all it seemed to me was asking if the camp was going to retire between rounds of continue

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Karate Combat 45

I dont really know how to do a big effortpost so I'm gonna try to keep this short and sweet. Do you like the sweet eastern science of Karate, do you wish Yamma Pit Fighting still existes, are you a fan of crypto? Nothing to do on the weed day? Then brother have I got the event for you!

GSP and Bas on Commentary! Luke Rockhold and Joe Schilling as the main event! An undercard explicitly themed around India vs Pakistan! What's not to love? "Voting" (Gambling) on the matches using $Karate, Karate Combat's own crypto. Maybe you'll win big and become a major stakeholder, allowing your vote on rule changes to carry more weight! (Please do not buy the karatecoin or gamble using it.)

The full lineup is as follows:

Luke Rockhold vs Joe Schilling

Luiz Rocha USA vs Myrza Te-Buev RUS

Raymond Daniels (USA) vs. Eddie Farrell (AUS)

Bruno Souza (BRA) vs. Vitalii Dubina (UKR)

Saidyokub Kakhramonov (UZB) vs. PENDING

Shahzaib Rind (PAK) vs. Rana Singh (IND)

Uloomi Karim (PAK) vs. Himanshu Kaushik (IND)

Rizwan Ali (PAK) vs. Pawan Gupta (IND)

Ali Motamed (IRI) vs. Adam Noi (FRA)

Ali Zarinfar (IRI) vs. Huang Shuai Lu (CHN)

But that's not all, cause Karate combat also features...

Pit Submission Grappling

It's jiu jitsu, aka Mexican Ground Karate, but in a pit! Honestly I'm more excited to watch this than ADCC. To steal the words of the pound for pound second-best grappler in the world, and one half of the main event, Craig Jones, the pit offers more exciting grappling because unlike other formats where people run out of the ring and have to reset; and unlike cage fighting where getting backed into the offers insane defensive posture against takedowns, the slanted pit wall actually offers an even playing field when the action is taken to. the. limits. Dont just believe that run-on sentence, watch one of the craziest finishes I've ever seen in a grappling match!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6muxoue-jI

If you see this and arent yellin' "Oss!" Youre probably a normal person with normal hobbies!

And the best part? It's entirely free on youtube live! Who would pay for this poo poo!? No one! So the promoter, the self-appointed "Dana Brown" (he isnt white) is giving it to you for free on youtube live! April 20th! Be there or be square!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also this is for the other grappling sickos, and not normies who dont wanna watch 16 mins of grappling, but this match from the last KC was crazy. Including commentary from a seeming grappling expert, Bas, and a guy who is like, on jake pauls podcast I guess...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VzC_mErmW8

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 16, 2024

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

cagliostr0 posted:

It's not like they busted out a Ventolin inhaler. The doctor and the ref are the ones who decide if it shouldn't continue, all it seemed to me was asking if the camp was going to retire between rounds of continue

But how is helping her come to a question if it's as simple as that? It should just be a thing you're meant to do. It being a question is the issue. It should either be something you'd just do no questions, or not be allowed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

RedSky posted:

Welp, I was very wrong about the gaethje Max match up. What was up with gaethjes left? leg He rolled his foot several times early on in the fight.

It definitely seemed compromised to me, with some stumbles coming from that and not from getting punched. Classic case of commentators zeroed in on other things.

Super Deuce posted:

But how is helping her come to a question if it's as simple as that? It should just be a thing you're meant to do. It being a question is the issue. It should either be something you'd just do no questions, or not be allowed.

NSAC is pretty serious as far as ACs go, and I feel like there's a good chance they would have investigated after the fight. Would love to hear confirmation/denial from NSAC. Obviously a savvy cutman would be able to ditch it unless he were intercepted on the way out of the cage.
I can see the cutman giving deference to the coaches about waking her up with something that could presumably hurt a lot, like biting your tongue to wake yourself up. If the coaches would rather she recover gradually and not have the distraction of pain to listen to corner advice, etc.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Someone told me that they could've put ice up her nostril but I don't know if that's just them BSing.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

Karate Combat 45

I dont really know how to do a big effortpost so I'm gonna try to keep this short and sweet. Do you like the sweet eastern science of Karate, do you wish Yamma Pit Fighting still existes, are you a fan of crypto? Nothing to do on the weed day? Then brother have I got the event for you!

This is cool as poo poo and thank you for doing it. I really do hope Karate Combat doesn't flame out what with the crypto funding and the cash it's throwing around, because its production is great and the product is at least unique. I'm all for it getting more attention here.

Also, the UFC updated their rankings and it includes Max Holloway being officially ranked at Lightweight!

At #9. Justin Gaethje is still #3.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Sadly UFC Rankings are as structured as the rules in 'Whose Line is it anyway?'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alaois posted:

Jiri spends an hour a day just practicing The Look from Vagabond

Folds his shorts a thousand times every fight night.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kimbo305 posted:

it was a great scout on JG's tendencies, and I'm surprised how readily he could be baited into ducking with no real feint before the spin. The last few times Max threw it were pretty ineffective but still enough to break JG's advance.

Overall, Max was lucky he had the pain endurance for the leg kicks, but clear of that, had such perfect footwork and balance at all times, throwing in shits to the body and getting off line. He outclassed JG's good but not great punching pretty much from the get-go, getting the timing down enough to score singles and then combos as the rounds wore on.

yeah i need to rewatch it sober but i was really astonished by how good he looked. my mental state during the fight went from one of profound worry to amazement.

Super Deuce posted:

Those judges giving Justin that round are a joke.

The fight was Max’s start to finish.

again i need to rewatch it sober but i thought gaethje won round 4 - he finally threw his jab and that was working well, he stumbled max with something, and max didn't get much offense on him (as far as i remember).

CarlCX posted:

Also, the UFC updated their rankings and it includes Max Holloway being officially ranked at Lightweight!

At #9. Justin Gaethje is still #3.

what the gently caress

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

again i need to rewatch it sober but i thought gaethje won round 4 - he finally threw his jab and that was working well, he stumbled max with something, and max didn't get much offense on him (as far as i remember).

I watched it sober and had it 4 rounds to Max and 1 to JG. Crazy that he threw down at the end with the that lead but I guess he wanted the BMF highlight reel and maybe he felt JG didn't have anything for him. Wild highlight though so it paid off!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

GTO posted:

I watched it sober and had it 4 rounds to Max and 1 to JG. Crazy that he threw down at the end with the that lead but I guess he wanted the BMF highlight reel and maybe he felt JG didn't have anything for him. Wild highlight though so it paid off!

For 300k fotn a ten second risk probably worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

More than that, it instantly puts him back in the 'fighter I most want to see in a title fight' bucket vs before I was thinking maybe he should retire at the end of the fight.