Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should have main-evented UFC 300?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall 2 5.88%
Georges St-Pierre vs Khabib Nurmagomedov 6 17.65%
Mark Hunt vs Dana White 19 55.88%
Mark Coleman vs A Fire 5 14.71%
Mark Twain vs The Tainted Legacy of Americana 2 5.88%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Foul Fowl posted:

https://twitter.com/9h6st21_mma is good (can never remember how to spell that - this person did scouting for weili zhang though, they're legit)

You mean as a paid role in their training camp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah they were in her camp for the lemos fight

Sick; how did they report on what they did, if at all? After the fact?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Au contraire mon frere
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1693146355236306976.html

Looks like he still took down some of the training camp vids that were approved after the fact.

Is he also the oz13msx2mercurius in a lot of the embedded vids? From how he was using the 3rd person, makes it seem like there was a lot of scouting in place already that he was consulting on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Looks like oz13msx2mercurius is meant to be a private shared repo of scouting content for her team specifically, which seems laughably but expectedly poor opsec.
That account's bio mentions analysis by @phm_thief96, which afaict, renamed to this account:
https://www.instagram.com/boringbreakdowns/

I don't have a broad view of how many camps spend this much effort with studying film. They absolutely should, but outside of tidbits revealed here and there, there's no real visibility into it.
I do feel that it's much less structured and integral compared to other elite tier sports, probably cuz there's no money in it for the staff :thunk:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hotswapping the friends and family seats lmao.
Just make them sign a contract that says they have to stay above 70dB at all times, drat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I know it's his name and it might be a little rude but the idea that a guy named "Victor Hugo" is fighting made me chuckle a little bit

?

!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

A poet known for writing romances is his name sake.

P sure he wrote hunchback of notre dame and les mis.

quote:

IN THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS, THE ENTRY FOR THE shortest correspondence belongs to the French author Victor Hugo and his publisher. After finishing Les Misérables, the exhausted writer delivered the manuscript to the publisher and left on vacation. But Hugo worried about the book’s reception, and so he wrote his publisher a very short note, which said:
?

The publisher sent back an equally short note that, to Hugo’s delight, read:
!

It's apocryphal but still in the book of world records.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cross posting from the general pro wrestling thread now that old videos are in the vogue

kimbo305 posted:

Every so often I think of this ad that was for the Hustle promotion and I can never find it.
It had Naoya Ogawa walking toward the camera on a street, singing a song, with some lyric like "Hassuru, hassuru, minja na de"

If anyone can link me to it, thanks a million.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

sold branding to Meta so the fighters' thumbs stick out perfectly perpendicular to the closed fist 100% of the time to emulate facebook's iconic "thumbs up"

Hey Alex, I saw your social media post and i give it a thumbs… down #MetaHorizonWorlds

🗿🗿#Threads

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:rubby:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I saw a poster with the actual fights listed on it instead of just 300.

Plain to see why they're burying the lede

If you’re not into this card, you’ll probably want to sit out the next half year or so.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

Zhang vs Xiaonan on it's own is enough to sell a card

That certainly not what UFC marketing thinks, but when have they ever been right.

I’m curious about country vs same country title fight stats. US, obviously. But struggling to think of any all Brazil title bouts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

I'm just jealous no one cares abt KC enough to make a good effortpost like that 😔

I checked out the first match Sam Alvey was in, and the fact that he could awkwardly handle and even beat a dedicated KC pro was kind of a turn off. It’s not like he had a very pretty performance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not much in the way of shaping still, nor knuckle padding. I wonder if some strikers might prefer a model with stiffer wrist and different pad distribution. Presumably an AC would be ok with different models since that’s the norm for boxing and kickboxing.

Honestly can’t tell if Anik actually read that or if they used AI to capture his voice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

The entire thing neglecting to discuss anything related to hand curve or eye pokes is amazing

As far as I’m concerned, this was supposed to be Joe Rogan’s one good deed. I’m sure he caught wind of the redesign. Maybe too busy yukking it up with the far right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I watched Roadhouse last night and I think I love Conor now

Is this accurate

https://www.tiktok.com/@treythekage/video/7349603749163191595

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Really minor note -- Zhang Weili's translator was pretty good, and/though she took a small liberty with Weili's Chinese tourism board promo at the end --
Weili said "China has 56 ethnic groups," which is a classic communist party line about the diverse background of the nation unifying under communism, though most people don't think of it that deeply.
Nevertheless, it is a bit political, especially since Uyghurs are in that list. The translator decided to sub in "China has great food," which was good thinking on her feet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ugly Tony posted:

that was the best card ive seen in awhile

Hold your breath for 400 -- it'll be good, hopefully.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

That event ruled rear end and I wish so very much that they would put in anything close to that level of effort more often.

Stacking a card raises the odds of something amazing happening, but Max reprising his stand and bang closeout and actually capping the fight off with the ko is cinema beyond calculation.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 14, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Props to Hill for rolling in with that presumably injury induced muffin top to really seal the deal on the comedy of that KO.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4bbjgiuXGw/?igsh=aHJpMm8zZ3Bzc3Z6

Unsurprising: JBK finding the skit funny
Surprising: that Pereira didn't shatter the phone into a thousand pieces

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

how many times is holloway gonna get people to stand in the middle and trade with him just by asking

The oildome tactic of our times.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

the back kick counter to gaethje's hunchback defense came out like a half dozen times and worked every time. the way he lulled gaethje into thinking they were back to having a fencing match before rocking him with a two punch combo, like four or five times in the fight. good stuff.

it was a great scout on JG's tendencies, and I'm surprised how readily he could be baited into ducking with no real feint before the spin. The last few times Max threw it were pretty ineffective but still enough to break JG's advance.

Overall, Max was lucky he had the pain endurance for the leg kicks, but clear of that, had such perfect footwork and balance at all times, throwing in shits to the body and getting off line. He outclassed JG's good but not great punching pretty much from the get-go, getting the timing down enough to score singles and then combos as the rounds wore on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Doesn't feel very in line with the philosophy of Musashi. Perhaps Jiri should practice more self-discipline.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

RedSky posted:

Welp, I was very wrong about the gaethje Max match up. What was up with gaethjes left? leg He rolled his foot several times early on in the fight.

It definitely seemed compromised to me, with some stumbles coming from that and not from getting punched. Classic case of commentators zeroed in on other things.

Super Deuce posted:

But how is helping her come to a question if it's as simple as that? It should just be a thing you're meant to do. It being a question is the issue. It should either be something you'd just do no questions, or not be allowed.

NSAC is pretty serious as far as ACs go, and I feel like there's a good chance they would have investigated after the fight. Would love to hear confirmation/denial from NSAC. Obviously a savvy cutman would be able to ditch it unless he were intercepted on the way out of the cage.
I can see the cutman giving deference to the coaches about waking her up with something that could presumably hurt a lot, like biting your tongue to wake yourself up. If the coaches would rather she recover gradually and not have the distraction of pain to listen to corner advice, etc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Funny to see Max's eyes less bugged out here than for the rest of the fight while he was staying sharp

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Justin and Max better be getting royalties

And now back to regularly scheduled "just lol" about UFC operations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Should be 4 fingers in a wiping scrunch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm trying to watch Road House, and I'm disappointed by Conor's inability to really ham it up. Difference between being an insane coke fiend and acting like one, I suppose.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kensei posted:

...I thought it was a perfect role for him. LOL

On paper, it's absolutely perfect casting. I find myself doing his "heh heh heh" menacing chuckle whenever he's on screen even when he's not doing it every second, as I was led to believe by that TikTok.

e: oh yeah, they obfuscate his chest tattoo, primarily going over McGregor with KNOX KNOX KNOX (his character name), but also smearing out gorilla and painting over the tiger. And adding some axe thing over the vines on his back.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 24, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Apparently Hawaii received a disproportionate number of donations from Koreans after the bushfires partially because TKZ asked them to donate. TKZ really is the best. The sport didn't deserve him

It's how i know they have another season of Physical 100 in the bag, whenever TKZ wants to do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Our kid got assigned to Cambridge Public Schools' Portuguese immersion program, and I'm now lording it over my wife how much casual exposure I've gotten to Portuguese from watching MMA.

We're watching Musica now, and the main character is Rudy.
"did you know that the initial R in Portuguese is prononuced with an H sound?" :smug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Someone pointed out that Mark Hunt could be a chess boxing champion if they had enough competition for it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

how is he so skilled at everything but writing a sentence

This reminds me of how on trend Hunt was when i edited your hat eating video and how i slipped in a couple of his "yeh"s into various points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Spoilers? From what, your super obscure mma RSS feeds? I think even 5 years ago, it wasn't easy to run into any coverage on the normal internet for mma events.