Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should have main-evented UFC 300?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall 2 5.88%
Georges St-Pierre vs Khabib Nurmagomedov 6 17.65%
Mark Hunt vs Dana White 19 55.88%
Mark Coleman vs A Fire 5 14.71%
Mark Twain vs The Tainted Legacy of Americana 2 5.88%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this thread, lol, or podcasts (jack slack, heavy hands, probably others). nate wilcox's newsletter is good (https://www.themmadraw.com/). twitter is also unfortunately good for tape studies - miguel class is good, https://twitter.com/9h6st21_mma is good (can never remember how to spell that - this person did scouting for weili zhang though, they're legit). karim zidan is the only mma writer who writes about politics that i trust. there's probably some others but it's hard to find because the modern UFC fandom is genuinely the worst in the world, and it's full of bad faith actors trying to farm engagement for their blue tick paychecks by calling GSP overrated or whatever. and the state of MMA journalism is somehow even worse.

the pond is definitely shrinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah they were in her camp for the lemos fight

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://twitter.com/9h6st21_mma/status/1693146660631957725

you gotta click on it to view the whole thread. you may need a twitter account for this. i’m sorry.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kimbo305 posted:

Au contraire mon frere
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1693146355236306976.html

Looks like he still took down some of the training camp vids that were approved after the fact.

Is he also the oz13msx2mercurius in a lot of the embedded vids? From how he was using the 3rd person, makes it seem like there was a lot of scouting in place already that he was consulting on.

oh amazing, i always use twitter on my phone and i forget the thread reader app is a thing.

i'm not too familiar with the specifics of the situation - i think they were brought in as an outside scout, and i'm assuming the instagram account is theirs, but i thought it was a really interesting look at how fighters prepare for very specific things. given that she mashed up lemos it clearly worked.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Maigius posted:

That's another title lineage ended by Jon Jones. At least this one had 0 prestige.

isn’t francis still the lineal champ?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Maigius posted:

Yes, but they started a new one after that, it's exactly as prestigious as the current interim title.

oh sure. and i think the interim belt is more prestigious than jon's belt he got from taking gane to his first free trial grappling class. i think aspinall is pretty cool and jon is scared as hell of him.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I saw a poster with the actual fights listed on it instead of just 300.

Plain to see why they're burying the lede

chucky vs. dickhead tsarukyan, holloway vs. gaethje and yussuf vs. lopes will all probably be fantastic fights, particularly the first one.

the rest of the card looks pretty good. periera vs. hill is obviously a joke but it will probably be a good joke. weili gets to crush someone which is always fun, and who knows, weili started her transformation into a fun and good fighter by annihilating andrade, so xiaonan might be on that same track. then the rest of it looks like a late 00's era card, i.e. mostly fun or relevant or good fighters, which by today's standards is excellent.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
max's performance was really crazy. i think i gave him more of a chance than most people did but i thought it was like a 50/50 if max didn't get knocked out. not that it was going to be a 4-1 decisive win (that ended dramatically) where max looked like he had no problem with gaethje's power, where he looked fast and sharp as hell, and where you can clearly see where all the energy he poured into beating volkanovski went. the back kick counter to gaethje's hunchback defense came out like a half dozen times and worked every time. the way he lulled gaethje into thinking they were back to having a fencing match before rocking him with a two punch combo, like four or five times in the fight. good stuff.

i was upset that chucky lost. but the way he lost made me less upset, because i think the unfortunate reality is that unless tsarukyan has become a much superior grappler to islam (unlikely, given their last fight and how good islam is) then charles getting mount like a minute into the fight, only to lose top position and be slowly ground on with elbows for several minutes, was a very bad sign for the rematch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kimbo305 posted:

it was a great scout on JG's tendencies, and I'm surprised how readily he could be baited into ducking with no real feint before the spin. The last few times Max threw it were pretty ineffective but still enough to break JG's advance.

Overall, Max was lucky he had the pain endurance for the leg kicks, but clear of that, had such perfect footwork and balance at all times, throwing in shits to the body and getting off line. He outclassed JG's good but not great punching pretty much from the get-go, getting the timing down enough to score singles and then combos as the rounds wore on.

yeah i need to rewatch it sober but i was really astonished by how good he looked. my mental state during the fight went from one of profound worry to amazement.

Super Deuce posted:

Those judges giving Justin that round are a joke.

The fight was Max’s start to finish.

again i need to rewatch it sober but i thought gaethje won round 4 - he finally threw his jab and that was working well, he stumbled max with something, and max didn't get much offense on him (as far as i remember).

CarlCX posted:

Also, the UFC updated their rankings and it includes Max Holloway being officially ranked at Lightweight!

At #9. Justin Gaethje is still #3.

what the gently caress