Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should have main-evented UFC 300?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall 2 5.88%
Georges St-Pierre vs Khabib Nurmagomedov 6 17.65%
Mark Hunt vs Dana White 19 55.88%
Mark Coleman vs A Fire 5 14.71%
Mark Twain vs The Tainted Legacy of Americana 2 5.88%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mewse
May 2, 2006

ccubed posted:

Maybe this should go in the Jon Jones thread, but I also kind of think it'll just be a branding thing not an actual physical improvement to protect fighters:

https://twitter.com/PhotoAmy33/status/1777453288302223658

i don’t really know context for “why now” but i’ve seen ufc catching flak on socials recently for their gloves causing eye pokes despite having the IP for pride style gloves — so maybe they’re finally doing something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Double poat

UFC did announce new gloves. Will debuted at 302
https://x.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1778846907030442145

I don't know what I was expecting but their spec sheet listing two models but one of them is colored gold makes me think there isn't actually any innovation here

mewse
May 2, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

"The UFC Official Fight Glove is name 3EIGHT based on the 3 rounds in the Octagon, all gloves except the Champion glove and 5EIGHT based on the 5 rounds in the Octagon for the Championship fights." is a sentence that the UFC put in an official piece of promotional material.

That sentence also neglects to explain the difference between the two models is cosmetic. It also neglects to explain that the EIGHT in the name refers to 8 oz gloves. While this muddies the water nicely:

The entire thing neglecting to discuss anything related to hand curve or eye pokes is amazing

mewse
May 2, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

why does the ufc focus so much on actual fightwear?

It's a cross promotional opportunity, theoretically beneficial for the UFC and the equipment supplier. Reebok provided equipment to the UFC for cheap, and received exposure in return. Somewhere in the contract is UFC's obligation to promote the lovely, over-priced gear.

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 12, 2024

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yes

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lol Goddard admitting he involuntarily turned into a fanboy

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Haven't seen it, but The Peaches from The Flop House said the only moments Conor is believable is when he is doing crimes.

that's the whole character though

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Someone pointed out that Mark Hunt could be a chess boxing champion if they had enough competition for it

how is he so skilled at everything but writing a sentence

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

This reminds me of how on trend Hunt was when i edited your hat eating video and how i slipped in a couple of his "yeh"s into various points.

I had hunto on my steam friends list but never played cs:go with him because he played on oceanic servers and my ping was too bad :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brut posted:

Double posting because loving LMAO

https://www.mmafighting.com/2024/5/1/24145147/morning-report-ilia-topuria-has-no-doubt-hell-be-highest-paid-athlete-in-the-world-in-2025-ufc

Is this enough to get him pulled from a fight as concussion symptoms? I can't stop laughing.

He wants to be the highest paid athlete in the world this year by... taking a single bout?