Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Jelly posted:

glasses are cool because if someone spits in your face it won't get in your eyes

many people don't realize this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm waiting for the surgery where the lasers come out of your eyes.

Elburroman
Dec 27, 2012

Knormal posted:

I'm waiting for the surgery where the lasers come out of your eyes.

Had this one just last year, she's fun but she's GOREY. They give you chubbly little brain divots for the emitter sockets. There was a big thing in the news about that resulting in a lobotomy but it turns out the doctor claiming that was a major LASIK practicioner just flinging poo poo (I guess "people who think the lasers come out of your eyes afterwards" is way over half the lasik clientele still) but I like 'em, they're my brain dimples and they have definitely impacted my personality.

The litany is "you can't pry your eye" and you will hear it a lot. Instead they have to drill it, you can look to the side but it scars so most people stare straight on. They can't unplug your sight for the drilling, it's in the running for top 4 worst parts. So nestled in your frontlobe you've now got two sockets, and into each of those is slowly screwed a failsafe ennervator, into that is a nervenode ("The Starfish"), into THAT is the emitter, and into that is the refractor/lense. Everywhere's claiming it's unethical to let you change your eye color so if you use a professional (I did, and recommend it) they just look exactly like your eyes but with a little red glare if you've fired recently (red's the only laser color too :( ) like the red spot on your eyes in old photos. Goes away within an hour or two depending how hot you burned, almost the only giveaway unless someone's holding a direct source of light.

Recovery blows, we can't just mechanically replace sight yet so they're basically alternating cultivating and then electro-culling your ocular nerves for a week, makin' a bonzeye, and then resuscitating them every time they go dark for months and months until you get consistent vision.

OK, that's the cons. The pros is it's heat laser eyes exactly like the boys with no downsides not mentioned above. Personally I regret undergoing it but that's because I mutated laser eye powers for unrelated reasons like 3 months ago so now I have laser eye fallback strategems but NO goddamn money

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Glasses can also protect your eyes against branches and flying bits of wood.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

redshirt posted:

Glasses can also protect your eyes against branches and flying bits of wood.

guess someone never had to watch that particular osha video.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Glasses are for nerds. I’d sooner clip the lens off my eye with a pair of toenail clippers than wear glasses and be damned to a miserable sexless four eyed existence

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Anyone ITT saying glasses are cool needs to say if they wear glasses, for how many years, and how functional they are without them.

I started wearing glasses ~17 years ago, I’m pretty sick of them by this point, and I’m mostly functional without them but I can’t easily read stuff that isn’t in front of my face. I want lasik but can’t afford it yet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Anyone ITT saying glasses are cool needs to say if they wear glasses, for how many years, and how functional they are without them.

I started wearing glasses ~17 years ago, I’m pretty sick of them by this point, and I’m mostly functional without them but I can’t easily read stuff that isn’t in front of my face. I want lasik but can’t afford it yet.
I've worn glasses since I was like 10 except for a few years where I was wearing contacts, I can't do anything without glasses, and I think glasses are mostly fine?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

24 years, getting my eyes fixed with lasers would ultimately be a waste of money because I would still need to wear glasses, I loving hate hate HATE contacts and I know what frames make me look really loving good

functional in daily life without them but i need them to read at distance, absolutely will not drive without them

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I mean glass frames have gotten pretty light, minimalist and mostly plastic over the decades. I recently was cleaning out a junk draw and found a really old metal pair with the double-cross bar and real glass lenses and jesus christ I can't believe I could actually stand wearing those things.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Glasses are great for a subtle disguise.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
My favorite sunglasses are mirror tint glass Ray-Ban Aviators that are heavy as gently caress, but everything else is all titanium and polymer

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its better to not see at all

🙈

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wish I was cool enough to wear tinted lens indoors.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mystes posted:

I've worn glasses since I was like 10 except for a few years where I was wearing contacts, I can't do anything without glasses, and I think glasses are mostly fine?

I couldn’t find my glasses for half of the day yesterday so I’m pretty mad about needing them today, this thread was very timely. Would you not get lasered?

MrQwerty posted:

24 years, getting my eyes fixed with lasers would ultimately be a waste of money because I would still need to wear glasses, I loving hate hate HATE contacts and I know what frames make me look really loving good

functional in daily life without them but i need them to read at distance, absolutely will not drive without them

Yeah driving without them is right out. I just wish I could watch tv while laying on my side and still be able to read the captions.

Vakal posted:

I mean glass frames have gotten pretty light, minimalist and mostly plastic over the decades. I recently was cleaning out a junk draw and found a really old metal pair with the double-cross bar and real glass lenses and jesus christ I can't believe I could actually stand wearing those things.

My current pair are clear plastic frames, which are light and stylish, but they can be incredibly difficult to find sometimes, especially because if I’m looking for them, I’m not wearing them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I couldn’t find my glasses for half of the day yesterday so I’m pretty mad about needing them today, this thread was very timely. Would you not get lasered?
It's very cheap to get a extra glasses nowadays

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i've tried a bunch of glassers over the years and so far roka is the best, imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Buce posted:

i've tried a bunch of glassers over the years and so far roka is the best, imo
why choose glasses or lasers when you can have glassers(tm)

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I put off laser surgery for so long that I’m going straight to cataract surgery later this year. Thinking of going for near focus lenses since I don’t really mind glasses. Don’t think I’d like the multifocals since apparently you lose some low light vision and I drive a lot at night.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

mystes posted:

you have said the actual truth

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Didn't superman try to do this to, like, Braniac or Captain Marvel or something but miss and end up lobotomizing him? Maybe ask your doctor about this possibility before you go through with it, OP. Maybe the doctor could use some kind of bracket to rest his chin on so your eyes are perfectly lined up.

shiftless
May 18, 2005

Got PRK 10 years ago. The laser is a bit loud when it turns on. I think I moved a bit in shock but the eye tracking system worked as I can see perfectly despite that!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I got laser eyes last year. For about 3 hours after the surgery, I was massively sensitive to light. My dad was there to drive me home while I hid under a blanket with sunglasses on.

But also I had one near-sighted eye, one far-sighted eye, and both had astigmatism, so it's neat to see without multi-hundred dollar lenses that skew the world to make me see it.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

bradzilla posted:

glasses suck poo poo

Glasses have their uses. If I sleep like poo poo and don't want to deal with irritated eyes the next day, I wear glasses instead of contacts. I also wear them for certain professional situations or when traveling.

My vision is about as bad as it can get (-8.5 in my right eye and -8.75 in my left). My doc said I might not even have enough cornea left for Lasik. Didn't even know that was a thing, lmao. Go, go, myopic degeneration.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

bradzilla posted:

You can smell your eyeballs being burned during the procedure,

The doctor doing the surgery told me it was just the smell of the xenon or argon or some noble gas used in the procedure and it was definitely not my eyes burning. I thought to myself that didn't seem right and it was an odd thing to say. How would a noble gas have a smell? I guess he doesn't want people panicking when they get the operation. I always regretted not calling him out for lying to me, but alas.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 3, 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Das Boo posted:

But also I had one near-sighted eye, one far-sighted eye

Whoa I had no idea this was even a thing that happens. I’m getting a headache just thinking about it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mystes posted:

?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Whoa I had no idea this was even a thing that happens. I’m getting a headache just thinking about it.

It was stupid as poo poo and I could only do half frames because the thickness of the lenses was so vastly different.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

what if ur eyes get progressively worse all the time? do you have to multiple surgeries?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Smugworth posted:

Someone just set off the hunk alarm :siren:

:wink:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

iirc Adam Conover (maybe not the MOST well-known celebrity or anything, but still) has one nearsighted eye and one farsighted eye. I can't imagine how weird and disorienting that must be.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i think you have to keep cum out of your eyes for like 2-3 weeks after and i just can't commit to that

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

not necessarily, a friend of mine got steroid eye drops resembling cum prescribed afterward because the doctor was concerned about his eyes not healing fast enough

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
these are a few of my favorite thiiiings

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Does any of this poo poo let you see IR or Temperatures or anything useful?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

covidstomper58 posted:

Does any of this poo poo let you see IR or Temperatures or anything useful?

For a while, every time I looked at light sources, I saw rainbows. So it lets you see all the secret rainbows in the world, which is pretty neat.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

bradzilla posted:

glasses suck poo poo

This. I went with PRK because I hated the idea of having permanent flaps in my eyeballs. I was super squeamish about the idea of lasers zapping my eyes, but I was a contact wearer beforehand and I had to switch to glasses for a few months leading up to the surgery, and my hatred of glasses helped me get over my fears. I suffered a month and a half while the skin on my eyeballs grew back but I've never been happier. Just don't go to some cheapo laser shack that's parked next to a massage parlor or something and you're good.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Anyone have experience with PRESBYOND? I am seriously considering it, my presbyopia is killing my enjoyment of reading and glasses suck.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I have this now. I used to be nearsighted in both. It's kind of cool how I can close my left eye and see something pretty clearly across the room, then close my right eye and it's blurry again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Ask Muad Dib :ibadpop: but seriously I'm considering it just because glasses clog my pores and make me look like a huge dingus.