Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

For about 30 seconds until you hit the next Construction or Radar Trap or shake your car apart.

But God drat it we're going to FIGHT for our right to speed those 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FMguru posted:

Here's a more traditional relationship "test" (the test is to see if OP is smarter than a turnip)

AITAH for refusing to have a joint bank account with my girlfriend?

A joint checking account with your girlfriend. Not wife, not fiancee, but girlfriend. And she wants to pool ALL of their money into it and have access to it. That's an impressively large red flag, hopefully OP stays strong in his resistance to the idea, and starts to see a clearer picture of exactly who his girlfriend is.

I had a joint account with both my partners before we got married because it just made sense to pay joint expenses out of an account we both had access to once we lived together, so that part isn't crazy.

But yes, putting literally all your money into one account with someone who is REALLY SUPER KEEN that you do that and calls you an rear end in a top hat for wanting to keep elements of your finances seperate is a loving awful idea.

Edit: Yeah, your finances ARE joint and you ARE a team but that doesn't mean what this woman thinks it means.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Joint finances: whose turn is it to buy the weed

I can't imagine pooling all my money with a partner or demanding access to theirs, part of being in a healthy relationship is waking up and deciding every day to be in a relationship with the other person, not because you have to or because it would hurt/cost so much to not be with them, and money and financial stability is a big part of that

Every person needs a gently caress off fund and the capacity and confidence to support themself if everything goes tits up, not because you anticipate or fear it specifically, but because it's a big part of healthy dynamics. Two individuals choosing again and again of their own free will to share their life and love, and so on and so forth. Which in my opinion leads to greater security in a relationship - knowing that the other person COULD live and be happy without you, but they choose you because they, in full functional ownership of their own poo poo, want it

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

boofhead posted:

Every person needs a gently caress off fundgo bag

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Tijuana-A-Go-Go-Bag posted:

boofhead posted:

Every person needs a gently caress off fundgo bag

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
AITA for telling my brother his "memories" of our birth mother are wrong?

quote:

brother is 13 M, i am 16 F.

So my birth mother got into pills after my little brother started school. My dad found out, tried to get her help for a year then gave her an ultimatum after it started getting really bad and she lost her job. My mother still got every other week custody of us because she was (at the time) good at hiding her addiction. My dad eventually got full custody of us and we moved in with him and later he married our amazing stepmom.

My birth mother is now in the hospital because all her drug use is catching up with her and she is in really rough shape, we have been told by our grandmother that its 50/50 if birth mother will ever leave the hospital.

My brother has been in a nasty mood since we were told, snapping at everyone, especially stepmom, who i guess he blames now for our parents divorce? He is also mad that thanks to the current situations in our state, we cannot go visit her. During one of his rants at me I lost it and yelled at him that birth mom was a useless pill pusher who put her own addiction above her own children, and how I had to take care of him when we were visiting her.

He told me i was misremembering, that she only got into drugs after dad "stole" us from her. He asked me how i could forget all the "fun times" we had "camping in the living room, watching TV all night" and "making our own breakfasts" while our birth mother slept in and how he used to cuddle with her on the couch while she napped.

I told him all of that was wrong. we slept in the living room because we didn't have a room or bed, making our own breakfasts was me trying to find something for him to eat in the morning because birth mother never bough food for us, and their "naps" were him cuddling with mom when she was passed out from either pills or being out all night. I then went on to yell at him to be grateful. Because thanks to dad and stepmom we are living a comfortable life, and we are actually loved by our stepmom. I told him how I would get physically sick at the idea of going to birth mother's apartment because I knew I would be in charge of taking care of him at the age of 9!

I told him that I didn't expect him to remember what happened as he was little, but there was a legit investigation and our birth mother was found to be an unfit parent. I then told him that if he wanted to romanticize his past to go ahead, but be respectful to our real parents.

Well he went crying to dad. Dad said that I needed to apologize to my brother for yelling as "(little brother) is trying to deal with the probable death of his birth mother, he has good memories of her and you need to be patient with him" I told him that I would when my brother apologizes to stepmom for all the stuff she puts up with from him. Dad said he is aware and the he and stepmom are dealing with that and not to worry.

AITA?

EDIT: dad talked about dealing with birth mother's PROBABLE death. She isn't dead yet, as far as i know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh woof. This poor poor woman.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That may fall on the wrong side of the thread's abuse line, tbh

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for not agreeing to extend my resignation period by 3 months?

quote:

My ex boyfriend and founder of the company I co-founded wants me to extend my notice period by 3 more months because he doesn’t think that the 5 months I am already serving ( 2 months left ) isn’t enough because we have a very lean team and he doesn’t want to undertake training new people or learning my role.

I’m walking away with no stake in the company because it was a bootstrapped company ( his investment completely) which we were primary operating together based on immense trust on each other. He had promised me equity ( but hadn’t gotten around to doing it yet ) I have been drawing a salary.

I had in December told him that I would continue to be a co-founder and work with him in the new idea as well. However we broke up ( 12 years together due to irreconcilable differences ). I agreed to stay on until June to facilitate the transition, even though I wanted to leave in Feb after serving 2 months of notice. I extended it then so that the company doesn’t suffer.

He is now asking me to extend further until September and proposing part time work until the company is a little settled without me and a new team is hired and then trained. I don’t want to because the proximity is effecting my mental health. He’s calling me selfish and mean.

AITA for not willing to extend my notice period even though he’s willing to offer work to me on a part - time hybrid basis?

( I don’t have other job prospects currently )

And what were the irreconcilable differences that made her break up with her ex?

AITA for refusing to go for a movie my ex boyfriend booked and really wants to watch?

quote:

I (27F) broke up with my boyfriend (27M) of 11 years because he was being flaky about wanting to get married and also confessed to cheating on me 2+ years ago.

Ever since we broke up he’s been after me to get back with him stating that all my problems are fixable and he’s since then realised that he wants to actually marry me and be with me.

I haven’t been able to get my faith back and don’t want to give this another chance even tho I still do love my ex boyfriend.

The reason I haven’t been able to go NC is because we also work together ( co founders of a start up) and I cannot leave unless I have put things in order.

Recently he asked me out for a movie to which I told him I didn’t want to go for, he booked it anyway and since then has been pressurising me to accompany him, since really wants to watch it with me.

I’m not going for the movie.

AITA ?

Am I making too much of a big deal about a movie?

Pls Advise

Acid vat the ex boyfriend/small startup owner

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DemoneeHo posted:

And what were the irreconcilable differences that made her break up with her ex?

AITA for refusing to go for a movie my ex boyfriend booked and really wants to watch?

I've just been to check and she doesn't say what the movie is anywhere which I know is irrelevent but GOD I want to know what movie this clown thought would get his girlfriend back.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Fil5000 posted:

I've just been to check and she doesn't say what the movie is anywhere which I know is irrelevent but GOD I want to know what movie this clown thought would get his girlfriend back.

I'm going with Wonka and my mind won't be changed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DemoneeHo posted:

Oh he booked the movie tickets? Well now you have to go or he's out a whole $14!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have booked the movie as a company event so he could order her to attend

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

haveblue posted:

Should have booked the movie as a company event so he could order her to attend

Or what, he'd fire her?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
My (37f) husband (36m), put martial arts training ahead of helping me get emergency medical treatment and I’m not sure how to react?

quote:

As the title says.... And I'm not sure how to feel about it, or react to it.

I had a sudden unexplained hematoma appear in my hand and wrist. It's bulging and sore causing my whole arm to ache. Probably about 5 inches by 5 inches and sticking out an inch. I'm also 22 weeks pregnant and on aspirin.

He came home from work within 20 minutes of this happening, I showed him and he agreed that it was alarming and I needed to see a doctor urgently.

We have a 1 year old together and I have children from a previous relationship (as does he, he's step dad, I'm step mum). I said could he watch the kids.... He asked if my mother could as he had training. My mother had work. I just left it and began cooking dinner totally shocked. He got changed into his training gear and came back to the kitchen. I said to him, I'm going to struggle to make dinner with my one hand. He said 'i'll pick up takeaways after training'. I said since he was going to training If have to cook for the kids as it's their bedtime soon. He ignored me... And proceeded to tell me that he is tense from work might need to get in with a massage therapist.

After he left I rang him to call him out on this .... He said he would come home if it was that bad, he said he'd get takeaways, but he needs to go to training for his mental health. So he went.... I cooked and took care of the baby and children, he's come home eaten showered and is in bed.

Eventually Asked how my hand is, showed him it's 3x bigger than when he left. He said to go to the emergency room. I don't want to now I'm so tired I feel like I'm not worth it anyway, and while I'm there I'll just be worried about the baby and he won't help to alleviate it. I felt it was really cold he went to training instead of watching the kids while I sought treatment, but I'm not sure if I'm overreacting?

OP did make it to the emergency room.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

DemoneeHo posted:

because we have a very lean team and he doesn’t want to undertake training new people or learning my role.

If this woman doesn't realize he will continue asking her to extend her time whenever she is close to leaving she is quite gullible.

Also lol at that reason. "You can't leave because I don't want to hire or train a replacement!"

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
My wife (35F) of 10 years thinks my parents (65F and 70M) don’t want to make an effort to see our son. My parents think my wife doesn’t want them to see their grandchild. They are both wrong. How do I intervene to fix it?

quote:

TLDR: my wife doesn't want to see my parents and my parents don't want to talk to her. My child is the only one losing from this feud and I don't know how to fix it.

My wife (35F) of 10 years thinks my parents (65F and 70M) don't want to make an effort to see our LO (3M). My parents think my wife doesn't want them to see their grandchild. They are both wrong. What do I do? In simple terms, my parents (60s) and my wife (35F) have different ways of communicating and similar expectations that the other party should be the one to initiate interactions. I was away in a different country for 4 months for work and asked my parents to look after my wife and child. They texted and called her at the beginning but stopped suddenly. While I was away, I didn't ask either party whether they were in contact with each other because I wanted my parents to foster a relationship with my wife that wasn't going through me, if that makes sense. I only knew that my wife went to visit once, a few weeks after I left.

When I finally got back, my wife was upset with my parents because they stopped calling and she felt they didn't care to see our child. She showed me the texts and call logs and from her perspective it seems she is absolutely right. That made me feel upset with my parents too.

I went to see my parents and confronted them about that. They said they felt my wife didn't want them to see their grandchild because they made plans twice and she cancelled. That is not really fair, as 1) she went to visit once (although they complained it was a short visit), 2) she cancelled once as our child was ill (I knew about this but they were not aware of the reason), 3) the second time that she “cancelled” she actually asked to reschedule for dinner instead of breakfast because they had a tough night, you know, taking care of a toddler? My parents had plans for dinner and instead of suggesting another day, that is when they stopped communicating because they didn’t want to keep getting shut down. I heard them out and from their point of view it seems they are right.

I can see both of them are in the wrong in this case. I don't know how to fix it, though. My parents are super stubborn and they don't want to call my wife anymore because they have "learned their lesson" that they are not wanted. My wife is really hurt and doesn't want us to go visit or have them over yet, until she feels more comfortable. If I have to take sides, I 100 per cent support my wife.

Normally, I would feel this is a minor disagreement that would be diluted with interaction at other family gatherings with my siblings or aunts for example, with whom my wife has zero issues. However, we are moving far away in less than a month and we are not coming back until Christmas. My parents will not be able to travel to visit us before then. I really want my child to have a chance to see grandparents while they are with us, so I am anxious to get together. At the same time, I understand, respect and support my wife's feelings and I don't want to push for a visit if she is not comfortable. I don't like the idea of meeting them with out child but without my wife, as I would feel anxious if roles were reversed. I also want to leave in relatively good terms with family thinking that we normally spend Christmas together (my wife's family and mine get together at my parents' since mine is the bigger side of the family). How do I fix this? How long do I wait for things to cool down? When do I know it's the right time to bring everyone together and how do I approach it?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I read it as more a simple " I dont like you enough to put in the effort to do the sex stuff you want" and if so, OP was right to break up withher. For both their sakes.

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe the "guy gets mediocre sex" story because I've been in that position a couple of times.

Without getting into details no one really cares about, the jist was that one of them felt I was too much of a "nice boy" (she took my virginity, she was def. more experienced than I), and (I'm paraphrasing here), she said she:
"Didn't do those types of things with nice boys like you."

"Those types of things" being basically anything other than missionary and some hand stuff, basically. I feel like I've read about/heard similar stories, where someone gets together with another person who has done more/is more experienced, but the more experienced person feels they can't "corrupt" the other person. A thought process sort of like.
"You do the more wild/kinky stuff with the people you casually date/hook up with, but if it's someone you think is nice/you want to be with long term, you can't do that sort of thing"

Like the last bits of their American Christian guilt creeping in.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
what a whacky sitcom situation. unfortunately you can't put them in the same room together to have them talk like adults

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

Why would you sit on the bowl, that's where all the pubes end up 😬

Oh but here's one we can argue about. Personally, if I was out drinking and got a text from my partner that "I need to go to the hospital because my balls hurt" I would also not take him seriously. Almost any other phrasing would get my attention, but not that

WIBTA for dumping my girlfriend after she ignored my calls and messages and went clubbing while I was undergoing emergency surgery.

im guessing they have one of those relationships where it's like an inside joke to like, playfully annoy the other person. i saw them a lot in my 20s, especially early 20s. she might even have feelings on that herself. that could've been the gf's position

but yeah i mean, his pain was in his balls and she asked where the pain was, not sure what else he could have said. she had to have considered it mightve been bad to be ignoring him, if annoying her is something he never does when she goes out. hard to know when something serious is going on with pranks so set in stone, especially at 22

anyway a lot of that is not in the text, i just find it hard to believe she'd be so randomly uncaring after 5 years. it's probably more likely she cares a lot and it was just about all the wrong stuff in an unfortunate situation she couldn't and didn't want to imagine

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know why there's any debate over this guy's balls. It's loving stupid. I drove my ex to the emergency room at 3:00am because she had intense pain following a LEEP procedure. I didn't realize I was supposed to fall on the floor and roll around laughing hysterically 'cause her hoo-ha was sore.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
the balls do make it funny, but if you're in enough pain that you gotta talk to a doctor it's unfunny
same thing happened with my friend and her boobs recently at first it was haha then it was an adult concern

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I don't have Slate Plus so I can't see the whole article but lmao:

We Left Our Child With His Grandpa and a Teenage Babysitter. I Wish I Didn’t Have to Say the Rest.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kenshin posted:

I don't have Slate Plus so I can't see the whole article but lmao:

We Left Our Child With His Grandpa and a Teenage Babysitter. I Wish I Didn’t Have to Say the Rest.

https://1ft.io is your friend for paywalls!

quote:

I’ve never really liked my father-in-law, “David,” but up until last week, I thought my feelings just represented ordinary not-getting-along-with-the-in-laws. David was visiting us for a little bit, and my husband and I were heading out for the evening. David’s an old man, and somewhat frail, so he wasn’t up to looking after our son, “Todd,” especially as Todd can be rather rambunctious. Fortunately, we have a very reliable babysitter, “Claire,” who was able to take on the task, and we went out and had a pleasant evening.

We got back at around 11. Todd was asleep. We paid Claire and were settling in for the night when I noticed that Claire’s car was still in the driveway. I went looking for her to make sure everything was all right, and found her in bed with David …

It was awkward as all hell. She’s 19 years old, so I suppose it’s not illegal, but it was revolting to catch them like that.

We can find a new babysitter, but a father-in-law is harder to replace. David is completely unapologetic, and has said directly to me that he’s a 73-year-old widower and he doesn’t think he’ll ever get a chance like that again. He was also adamant that they did nothing but talk until after my husband and I got home, and Todd was fast asleep by then, so what’s the problem?

My husband is also less than supportive. He thinks it’s a bit weird, but not as skeevy and gross as it clearly is. If it were just up to me, I’d cut the old pervert out of our life entirely, but I can’t exactly do that if my husband invites him over again or something. How do I get through to him that this is wrong and we can’t let some old sicko like that near us?

—Reaching for Brain Bleach

Dear Reaching,

Well! It seems that Claire is also rather rambunctious, but your father-in-law could handle her just fine. Hey-o!

Forgive me for making fun. This is a sitcom-ready tale, and I can’t wait for commenters to identify whatever actual sitcom it is that this scenario came from. But let’s take your letter at face value. I think you should leave your value judgment at the door here. It is not up to you to determine whether their hookup is disgusting, inspirational, or merely comedic. The age gap is not the problem vis-à-vis your relationships with either of these people.

Claire obviously showed terrible judgment in leaping into a bed with a relative of her employer, at her employer’s house. You would indeed be well advised to find yourself a new babysitter. As for David, he violated a pretty basic houseguest rule: You do not try to bang a rando in someone else’s guest room! Not without asking first. But that would hold true whether that rando was your babysitter or a 73-year-old widow he picked up at Applebee’s.

I’d urge you to get past your distaste and move on. He’s your husband’s father; you’re unlikely to remove him from your life entirely. Feel free to tell your husband that David should stay in a hotel if he wants to visit again—that way this golden bachelor can entertain whichever of your town’s eligible ladies he likes, and you’ll never have to know about it.

I mean, the end advice is fine, but there's a whole lot of :decorum: going on there. OP has my pass to throw all sorts of judgment on that situation!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

quote:

David is completely unapologetic, and has said directly to me that he’s a 73-year-old widower and he doesn’t think he’ll ever get a chance like that again.
Well he's not wrong.

Can't say I'd do anything different in that situation lmao

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
AITA for secretly eating takeout food my pregnant wife cannot eat because she has gestational diabetes?

quote:

My wife (34F) and I (35M) have been married for 10 years and been together for 15. She is 7 months pregnant and has gestational diabetes which has been very hard on her, and by extension very hard on me too and our relationship.

Her doctor has strictly recommended she follows a strict diet, and that means no sugar or high calorie foods such as alfredo sauce, or pizza and the likes. Naturally she has been very very upset because she has cravings but there's no way she can indulge. She has gotten sick of the alternatives suggested to her and would start sobbing sometimes when we go outside because she will see all these food places only to realise she cannot eat what she wants. I feel for her, I really do.

Our relationship started to break down a little when she started taking her anger out at me. My offence? Ordering the things I like to eat such as cookies, cheese, frozen snacks (we get groceries delivered to us btw). Just like any other person does. She was extremely mad at me for being able to enjoy eating these things and made me feel guilty for eating stuff she craves. My breaking point was once she angry cried over the fact I brought home a box of donuts I received from office on my birthday. I was sick of her behaviour and the constant policing of my food intake in our home that I, in no uncertain terms made it very clear that she CANNOT punish me for a health problem SHE has, and that this is my house too and I will eat and drink whatever and whenever I please. We had a bad argument that day and I uttered divorce, that seemed to shake us both and we did a few sessions of marital counselling.

To keep it short, our therapist held her accountable and shared that it was unfair on me to be at the receiving end of her emotional distress. However she also emphasised that my wife is probably feeling unsupported too and I could try to be a bit more discreet and stick to making healthier meals together which would be great for both of us. Since my wife cannot "make up" for excess blood sugar she has by working out a lot (she is chubby and has bad knees), I can see why she feels helpless.

As a solution, we decided to stock up the "forbidden foods" in the second fridge we have in the drawing room of our home that we use to store drinks and "guest snacks" for. It's better when reminders of the things she craves but can't eat are not there in the common fridge. This also means, I can almost NEVER order takeout at home and sometimes I miss doing that while watching Netflix.

I still missed having the occasional pasta dish at the cheesecake factory or McDonald's so sometimes when I drive home from work, I eat in my car keeping the therapist's "reminder triggers" in mind. Because I know that my wife knowing that I ate stuff she can't will make her mad.

Yesterday though, I took my wife on a long drive and she found a receipt of the cheesecake factory on the floor. At the moment when she found it. she started sobbing and wouldn't talk to me. She is now pissed at me and feels like I have betrayed her. I think she is overreacting and I don't think I am wrong, since 80% of the meals I have in a week are with her. I try to have takeouts without her on fridays mostly.

I do not think I am an rear end in a top hat because wife and I have an agreement that I will be discreet when I want to indulge in food I want to eat, so that she does not get triggered every time.
Well you're probably thinking you hate this guy right now. Buckle up.

quote:

EDIT:

There is still resentment I have against her for ruining my birthday. Basically the gift I got from my wife that day was her yelling at me and me uttering divorce and ending the night in tears. I still hate her for it. For creating a bad memory I likely won't be able to erase. But I am working on it

I feel the same way too when I read what I wrote. I do not want to hate her but I do. I still cry thinking about how we fought for something seemingly innocent and I feel so wronged that no one sees that this was unfair and borderline abusive for me, to be at the receiving end of this as a spouse, because I happen to be a husband in this dynamic.

I am not sure about therapy for this but I grew up poor and food insecurity was a big part of my childhood. It makes me feel pretty lovely that now that I have means to provide for myself, I still cannot do what I want. But no one sees my trauma. And why I want to be able to make my own decisions too. And even if I didn’t have this trauma, I shouldn’t need a reason to act with autonomy as long as I am supportive of her and being considerate about her food issues. Which I positively have acknowledged in therapy with her and am doing my part, even though I and our therapist agreed that her initial demands were ridiculous.

I was made to feel like a horrible horrible person for simply bringing a box of donuts my coworkers got me on my birthday. When there was no malice involved, no bad intentions, no desire to rub it in her face or whatever rest of the world calls it.

I regretted being a married man that day and wished I never met her. I have never let anyone bring my self-esteem down in the way my wife did. I have never given anyone else the power to hurt me like she did. And I want to take it away. No one has ever made me feel like a criminal for eating a donut and storing the rest in the fridge inside the house I own too.
How much do you hate him now?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He's supposed to live the rest of his LIFE like this?

Oh, no? Just a few months? Ah well, still perfectly valid, right?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Darkhold posted:

AITA for secretly eating takeout food my pregnant wife cannot eat because she has gestational diabetes?

tbh I do kind of feel for him but whatever sympathy I had went out the window when he played "the house I own" card. I'm guessing the divorce court is going to have a very different opinion about who owns the house!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Darkhold posted:

This is a prime candidate for the often suggested "Tell us why you like being around your significant other" rule. Even aside from him being an rear end here he just doesn't seem to like her at all.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Darkhold posted:

Let’s play the “your trauma may explain why you’re behaving like an rear end in a top hat but it’s not a free pass” song again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

He's supposed to live the rest of his LIFE like this?

Oh, no? Just a few months? Ah well, still perfectly valid, right?
It sounds like he was an rear end in a top hat about it at the beginning, but she also only has to deal with it for only a few more months, and it seems like keeping the food in a separate refrigerator was a good compromise. If the getting furious at him because she came across a cheesecake factory receipt in the car thing happened after he started keeping the food separate I think it's a bit unreasonable for her to get mad at him for that if it was accidental and he is legitimately trying to not have the food he's getting separate visible to her.

The trauma explanation seems a bit ridiculous though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 24, 2024

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

It sounds like he's been an rear end in a top hat about it a lot of the time, but she also only has to deal with it for only a few more months, keeping the food in a separate refrigerator seems like it was a good compromise, and getting furious at him because she came across a cheesecake factory receipt in the car seems a bit ridiculous.

The trauma explanation seems a bit ridiculous though.

As a fat person, waving food a person physically cannot eat without harming themselves but still has cravings for in front of a person is mean as gently caress.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

As a fat person, waving food a person physically cannot eat without harming themselves but still has cravings for in front of a person is mean as gently caress.
I edited that to rephrase it slightly, but my impression is that he started keeping the food separate after the therapist suggested that and the only issue after that was that his wife found a receipt in the car.

Also I think because she's his wife he should try to help her by not having the food right in front of her, but like if they were just roommates or something I guess I disagree and don't think he would be obligated to not have any food in the house that she can't eat if that's what you're implying.

Lots of people have various dietary restrictions for medical reasons and while obviously you shouldn't intentionally flaunt foods that they can't eat in front of them, I don't think everyone has a responsibility to ensure that those foods are never visible to people who can't eat them because it might make them feel unhappy?

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 24, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean, the end advice is fine, but there's a whole lot of :decorum: going on there. OP has my pass to throw all sorts of judgment on that situation!

r/relationships: a father-in-law is harder to replace

NGL, if I could keep up with a 19-year old in bed at 73, I'd do so any and every chance I got.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Can't find the link but I believe we discussed part 1 but...

Aita for leaving my wife over a computer?

quote:

I 26 M have been married to my wife Emma for 4 years. She was a Social work major who I met in one of my gen Ed classes. I explained to her I was a mechanical engineering major. She then asked if I could tutor her in math and that’s how we began dating.

Afterwards I decided to get my masters in Japanese to help me gain more career opportunities. My wife thought it was a silly ideas and said she wouldn’t be funding it so then we decided to keep our finances separate. It wasn’t a big deal since I was still working anyways. I just had less free time. So she was making more than me during this time.

It paid off and I recently landed a high paying job and with that came more stress due to me having to travel to Japan often. I’ve really been wanting to get into gaming so I invested in computer parts costing around 1500.

Once I took the parts out of the box my wife noticed the receipt and asked how I could be so irresponsible with my money. She assumed I still made the same amount but when I told her that I make triple that amount she began giving me the silent treatment.

During this time I began to notice my things were going missing. I wanted to go fishing with some friends one time and when I was looking for my rods them she must’ve noticed and said she had given them to her Uncle. I told her not to take my stuff without asking but didn’t mind too much because they were old. So I just bought some more.

Another time I was about go to the gym and I was looking for my pre workout. I always keep three jars. I luckily had a can of monster and that helped. I asked my wife when she got home from work and she said she gave them to her cousin. I asked her to reimburse me because they cost 50$ a jar. She said I make enough to replace them and just ignored me for the rest of the day.

One day when she thought I was sleep she was talking to someone on the phone explaining how she’s going to move my parents into our house. She hadn’t explained this me. We only have three rooms. One is her office, one is my office/game room, and the other is our bedroom. She told the person on the phone who I assume is her sister that she’s going to give my gaming setup to her brother to make room and that I’ll get over it eventually.

So today I left work early to catch her in the middle of her plans. And when I walked in our apartment, her and her brother were then placing everything into a box. I asked what was going on and my wife, whose face was pale said she was cleaning when her brother came by. I asked him did he plan on taking my computer. Of course he denied.

So I went in the room to get the iPad we share. And I looked through the texts on there and it clearly shows my wife telling him when to pick it up and to deny that he had it.

I told him to get out and asked her why does she think she’s so entitled to my stuff. I have never yelled at her and I guess this scared her because she began to cry. She ended up packing a bag and went to stay with her sister. While she was out I picked up a lock for my office. Her sister texted me calling my a rear end in a top hat. I beginning to think I could’ve handled this better. I’m looking for advice.

Aita for leaving my wife over a computer? (Update)

quote:

After about a week staying at her sisters house, Emma called me and asked if we could meet up. I agreed and we met at a park. She apologized for everything and said she thought she was doing what was best for everybody.

I asked what if I just gave her expensive makeup to my sister. She admitted that she would be upset. I then asked why did she think it would be any different for me. She didn’t have a reason and her sister told her how unfair she was being to me.

We decided to give it another chance and she moved back in. It was going good until she started moving her things into my office. I asked her what she was doing and she explained how she needed the room for her parents. I told her no and that’s not happening.

I grabbed her things and placed them back into her office. I told her that they could move in but my space has to remain untouched. On top of that we need to determine how bills are going to be paid because.

She called me a selfish jerk and then ran back to her sisters. I guess her sister told her she was being inconsiderate once again. And apparently they got into an argument because the sister refuses to take their parents in, and said she’s tired of hearing about her problems. I agree with her, her sister has 4 kids.

Her sister called and told me everything, and said that Emma went to her parents house. I tried to call her but she ignored my phone calls for two weeks. I decided I couldn’t live like this so I filed for divorce and handed to her at her parents house.

She called and begged me to forgive her. I told her im not sure if I can. She refused to sign it until we go to counseling. I refused and said she had two weeks to suggest that.

So now I live alone. She still refuses to sign the papers but that doesn’t stop the divorce it just makes it harder.

Aita for leaving my wife over a computer? (Update 2)

quote:

So Emma was cheating on me. The rods and pre workout didn’t go to her family, it went to her affair partner. I found this out when her parents invited me over to their house.

When I got there Emma looked sick, like she hadn’t eaten for days. Her parents asked why I kicked her out and that me neglecting her is taking a toll on her mental health. Emma sat there silently crying.

I explained that I never kicked her out, and Emma refused to talk to me for weeks before I sent the divorce papers. I showed them text of me practically begging her to come home so we can talk it out.

I asked Emma what did she tell her parents. Her dad chimed in saying that I went back on my word about letting her brother stay with me. I asked what were they talking about and the reason we got into an argument is because they were supposed to move in.

Emma ran to her room before she could be questioned. Her parents explained that they were happy with their home and had no plans to leave. I then showed them the text from her sister(Mary) explaining how Emma was mad at her because she couldn’t take her parents in.

They were confused, I was confused. So her parents called Mary to have her explain. Her brother (Jake) was also there. Emma just explained everything.

Emma was cheating on me, Jake caught her and kinda blackmailed her. So he was a freshman in highschool and we live in a better district where basketball recruiting is more likely to happen. Emma thought I would be more inclined to say yes if I thought it was her parents moving in.

Emma’s parents called her downstairs immediately. She was listening and began to tell her side. Her affair partner’s wife found out, so he thought that relationship was over because she kicked him out the house. He convinced Emma to quit her job because he got a job opportunity in a different state. But he was secretly meeting with his wife and they got back together. He hadn’t put in his two weeks yet so his life resumed normally.

Emma on the other hand didn’t even put in her 2 weeks and just stopped showing up so she was fired. And when her AP told her it’s over she went into a depression and tried to call me so we can go to counseling.

I told her it’s over and asked that she sign the paperwork so this divorce can go smoothly. She begged for another chance, but I just left her crying.

Did not see that one coming!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Hygiene posted:

This guy has one foot in the grave and no spouse, he has no preexisting relationship with this person and was in no position of authority over her so it wasn't grooming. It's certainly loving weird. If I were single I sure as heck wouldn't even consider trying to hook up with a 19 year old and I'm a little more than half that guys age. Like that's a child in my opinion.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

just a straight shooter with upper management written all over her

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

just a straight shooter with upper management written all over her

I was thinking more like "New season of Fargo is looking good"

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Darkhold posted:

This one makes me really sad, like this conflict is very clearly not about food and this guy desperately needs more/better/individual therapy and instead it seems like he and his wife and probably their future child are just locked into a trainwreck that hasn’t hit yet but is definitely going to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hughlander posted:

Did she think he just wouldn't notice her brother living there? Or was he supposed to hide every time OP came back from Japan?